• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just 99 Xbox Ones were sold in Japan last week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warxard

Banned
They made fewer Japanese titles than you can count on your hand. Whereas Sony has bought multiple American game devs how many has MS brought under their umbrella from Japan?

Like, one and that's the Happy Wars developers.

Why bring more under their wing at this point in their console life when it's a pointless effort.

UNLESS they bring the money, no one wants to work with fucking Microsoft in Japan.

King_Moc

Banned
I see your point but

Japanese game culture still has an issue with ethnocentralism in both the consumer base and the industry there itself.

You could equally complain about the west not listening to Japanese musicians. Make them something they like, and maybe they'll buy it. I don't think it's a coincidence that the biggest games on the Xbox (shooters, basically) are from genres that never really sell in Japan.

Z3M0G

Personally I'm more worried about how little the PS4 is selling in Japan. It doesn't matter if PS4 beats xbone if all of the Japanese devs are on mobile.

25000 ps4s in same week must be pretty good...

Do people still worry about console vs mobile? Or is that more of a Japan thing now? Because the West didn't swing that way...

Warxard

Banned
You could equally complain about the west not listening to Japanese musicians. Make them something they like, and maybe they'll buy it. I don't think it's a coincidence that the biggest games on the Xbox (shooters, basically) are from genres that never really sell in Japan.

They sure didn't buy all of those SEGA, From Soft, NAMCO, Square Enix, Konami, Capcm games that were clearly funded by MS to get that audience for the past 15+ years

"Try harder!" lol fuck outta here. You're delusional if you think any effort by MS in Japan is worthwhile.

Jotaka

They tried making Japanese centric titles for their consoles multiples times, and they failed multiple times. OG Xbox never got a sleeker redesign outside of the handhelds. Even the MS published titles got quality ports to accommodate people in JP (Halo CE being a prime example)

Nothing can be done.

Please list the multiple times... bc the list is short :p

Shenmue

Banned
Japan has long had a higher history of ethnocentrism regarding consumer purchases than other territories.

First of all I don't even know what "higher history" means and second of all I know you think the more you claim something the more true it becomes but that's not how it works.

Plasma

Banned
Not a surprise they're never going to do well in that market, they made a a real push for it at the start of last gen and they still couldn't gain any ground.

HUELEN10

At least 99 people in Japan last week had impeccable taste in buying a forward thinking current gen console.

In all seriousness, the sad and true fact is that the Xbox has never really captured the Japanese market, numbers have always been low. Doesn't help that the hardware is bulkier than its competitors.

What really shocks me is Wii U numbers. I was expecting lower, but it's up there. I am happy for that at least.

King_Moc

Banned
They sure didn't buy all of those SEGA, From Soft, NAMCO, Square Enix, Konami, Capcm games that were clearly funded by MS to get that audience for the past 15+ years

I can't think of much they've had that wasn't available on something people probably already had. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey come to mind and not much else.

Cranster

Banned
Shooters in general are the most popular type of games on all platforms outside of the handheld market but that doesn't stop Western gamers from buying Japanese games and hardware.

Oh I see so because Microsoft fucked up the Xbox brand and its selling very poor as a result I must be a Sony fan?

Jesus fucking christ.

lol.....No, it's not that... it's your series of constantly negative posts in any thread that has to do w/ the Xbox One.

Warxard

Banned
I can't think of much they've had that wasn't available on something people probably already had. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey come to mind and not much else.

A lot of Capcom's early catalog last gen wasn't on PS3 for a long time, hell some games still aren't like Dead Rising and Lost Planet Colonies. SEGA's Xbox Catalogue. At least three or so Square Enix RPGs that never got ported. Namco's stuff on Xbox / 360 never got ported. Otogi and Metalwolf. Konami's garbage last gen.

Curious to see what Scalebound will do for the Japanese market, considering it's an Kamiya game; i haven't truly followed the game much becuase I really enjoyed seeing all the release footage. If I'm misguided, spite me, but is there a particular reason he went with Xbox instead of Sony considering how heavily influence the game is with Japanese tropes?

In any event...99 X1's is pathetic :/

What it will do for the market? Hahahahaha.
It'll probably sell like 10k in Japan.

Shin-Ra

If you only get your Xbox news on GAF, then sure.
Ethnocentric pride at its greatest. How sad.
lmao.

This can't be real. Xbox One has dozens of fans in japan. DOZENS!
Even Yusuf Mehdi knows that:
NnK2dozens.gif

Madness

First of all I don't even know what "higher history" means and second of all I know you think the more you claim something the more true it becomes but that's not how it works.

What? We learned it in economics class as well man. Consumer ethnocentrism exists, especially in places like Japan, South Korea, China, US and Germany. Many citizens are often hesitant to purchase or associate with foreign brands, either due to socio-cultural reasons or greater brand affinity for their own national brands. Examples include not buying certain automobiles, certain electronics etc.

TheJoRu

Is it? It is the first time below 3 digits, no?

Nah I've never seen the numbers that low before. But it is usually ~300, which isn't exactly great either...

I mean, yeah, sure it might be the lowest so far (don't know all the numbers in my head) but we're talking 1-200 copies difference from a normal week, and we're in a slow sales period. If it sold like this during the holidays, sure. If it sold 0 copies, sure (if only for the absurdity). This? Eh.

But whatever, I don't decide what's interesting.

Shenmue

Banned
Like, one and that's the Happy Wars developers.

Why bring more under their wing at this point in their console life when it's a pointless effort.

UNLESS they bring the money, no one wants to work with fucking Microsoft in Japan.

I see nothing about them buying the Happy Wars devs, just that they published the game. Google searches of Microsoft purchases or buys Toylogic showed nothing. So 0?

Warxard

Banned
I see nothing about them buying the Happy Wars devs, just that they published the game. Google searches of Microsoft purchases or buys Toylogic showed nothing. So 0?

Oh, I only figured seeing as most of their catalogue is X1 only.

Yes, 0. But why would they purchase a developer in Japan, like what good would that do?

DavidDesu

And yet people still ask like crazy why Microsoft doesn't do more to get niche jrpgs, why it treats Japan like a tier 2 country. They've never done well there, even with exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Games like Scalebound still won't move Xbox One there. I would bet next console, they probably won't even launch there until well after NA/EU/East Asia (China, Singapore, SK) etc.

The games Japanese gamers want won't really be on a Microsoft console, and if they are, there won't be enough for most to justify a purchase.

Honestly not sure there will be a next one. Selling to just the US and UK market and dying everywhere else seems like a nosediving business. Sony seem to have their shit together and know not to do anything too crazy like $599 ever again... I can't see anything Microsoft could do would help them against PS5 unless Sony goes batshit. What would be the point? They have less and less developers or publishers interested if they keep losing market share like this and in Europe etc, PlayStation 5 will be getting everything.

Warxard

Banned
Honestly not sure there will be a next one. Selling to just the US and UK market and dying everywhere else seems like a nosediving business. Sony seem to have their shit together and know not to do anything too crazy like $599 ever again... I can't see anything Microsoft could do would help them against PS5 unless Sony goes batshit. What would be the point? They have less and less developers or publishers interested if they keep losing market share like this and in Europe etc, PlayStation 5 will be getting everything.

Just don't fuck up the next console.

Do you think the Xbone is like, SEGA Saturn bad

Shenmue

Banned
Oh, I only figured seeing as most of their catalogue is X1 only.

Yes, 0. But why would they purchase a developer in Japan, like what good would that do?

Well it's kind of the chicken and the egg now isn't it? At some point Sony had to decide hey we're gonna try to sell our game console in the rest of the world we gotta put some real investment in countries outside of our own. MS just decided nah we won't ever try.

On another matter, geez the western ignorance in this thread is just embarassing from some of these other posts. I'm out.

It's like trying to sell basketball globally. Lots of US customers would be interested, everyone else not so much.

At least PlayStation is diverse and is messaged globally. They are doing a vastly superior job at that.

Guaranteed.

Same rule applies regardless. I bet it isn't as popular as it is in US...

I get what you are trying to say, but NFL would have been a better choice. Nobody in Europe knows who Tom Brady is. Everyone knows MJ or Kobe or LeBron. Basketball is one of the biggest team sports in the world with soccer, even though the main league is in the States. Pretty much every country in Europe has a pro league of their own and many have more than one.

This was to be expected in Japan, but the real problem is the terrible numbers in Europe. 360 was huge in my country, but nobody seems to play with Xbone.

Withnail

Microsoft's performance this gen has been pathetic. I hope Phil Spencer is going to bring in some talent for next gen because it's obvious the current lot has no fucking clue what to do outside US/UK.

DavidDesu

Just don't fuck up the next console.

Do you think the Xbone is like, SEGA Saturn bad

Interesting to raise Sega. Wasn't the Saturn generation where Sega died, it was the Dreamcast. Great games, powerful console, forward looking with online and the controller... Still did nothing up against a PS2 with a glut of 3rd party games and people like EA shunning the system. Xbox One isn't at that stage yet and Microsoft had enough money to moneyhat stuff like Tomb Raider... but going forward if PS4 is so dominant in 90% of the world the time might come where some publishers decide against Xbox one version. Microsoft is saved thanks to the tech being so similar between the two consoles that you might as well make a port and get a few extra sales.

Thing is PlayStation basically has everyone Microsoft has, plus many more, and everyone Microsoft haven't specifically paid to be exclusive on their platfrom. Microsoft have few things to really tout and even their biggest hitters like Halo and Tomb Raider have been disappointing.

He's not wrong though.

They sort of are though. You can't pin all of the Xbox's issues in Japan on ethnocentrism and call it a day. That's reducing and simplifying a complex issue and also completely ignoring other extremely successful foreign brands that do business in Japan (eg, Apple).

If you only get your Xbox news on GAF, then sure.

You can always frequent the mrxmedia website if you somehow feel that GAF is too slanted and you'd rather stay in a bubble.

Madness

He's not wrong though.

Samsung-Galayx-S6-Japan-970-80.jpg

I mean people like to pretend it doesn't happen but even Samsung went so far as to remove all traces of its name from their Galaxy S6 last year in Japan to try and boost sales, and to do away with the stigma of being a South Korean company, low quality, cheap etc. Just about any other country in the world would love to own a Samsung flagship, but a South Korean company like Samsung has had it very tough.

Warxard

Banned
Interesting to raise Sega. Wasn't the Saturn generation where Sega died, it was the Dreamcast. Great games, powerful console, forward looking with online and the controller... Still did nothing up against a PS2 with a glut of 3rd party games and people like EA shunning the system. Xbox One isn't at that stage yet and Microsoft had enough money to moneyhat stuff like Tomb Raider... but going forward if PS4 is so dominant in 90% of the world the time might come where some publishers decide against Xbox one version. Microsoft is saved thanks to the tech being so similar between the two consoles that you might as well make a port and get a few extra sales.

Thing is PlayStation basically has everyone Microsoft has, plus many more, and everyone Microsoft haven't specifically paid to be exclusive on their platfrom. Microsoft have few things to really tout and even their biggest hitters like Halo and Tomb Raider have been disappointing.

There are a lot of varying factors to the failure of SEGA's hardware scene. The Saturn is arguably one of the biggest blows to it. Releasing a console with a difficult rendering setup as the competition the SAME DAy As its revealed with no warning to the retail space with a ridiculous price tag is a bad fufcking move

Shenmue

Banned
Or hell Disney products there.

Then why pray tell does Apple do so well there?

It's not worth the time. It happens in thread after thread. They'll never give you an answer. Even if they do it'll be something like "those are exceptions to the rule!" which has no meaning whatsoever and does absolutely nothing to address the question.

It's just plain ignorance with a healthy scoop of "I gotta defend my favorite console by blaming something else other than my favorite console."

So does all that TV stuff and cable stuff work in Japan for the X1 or are some features lacking?
Like the sports and exclusive channels work on japan or did Microsoft make like new deals with Japanese sports channels?

Why do Microsoft even bother at this point? The Xbox brand has never been popular in Japan and never will be, they should just pull the plug instead of sinking money into a lost cause.
Ethnocentric pride at its greatest. How sad.

Aren't iPhones really popular in Japan? You can't really blame the Xbox's failure on a 'because it's not Japanese' mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom