• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct is F2P, only one fighter is free

Status
Not open for further replies.
F2P is not what you want to hear when it comes to rebooting a beloved and much sought after franchise. Especially a fighting game at that, ugh. This was one of only games really making me want an Xbone at all. Well, Dead Rising a little bit as well.

ZoddGutts

If you think that's bad just wait till you see the developer Double Helix previous games:

2tiidCb.png

DatDude

Banned
F2P is not what you want to hear when it comes to rebooting a beloved and much sought after franchise. Especially a fighting game at that, ugh. This was one of only games really making me want an Xbone at all. Well, Dead Rising a little bit as well.

This is microsoft. This gen alone has taught me they don't give 2 shits about rare or it's ip's. Why they keep them around, god only knows.

Nymerio

I'd be all for this if priced reasonably. When I play Street Fighter with my friends we usually only play maybe 4 of the characters. So if that means I got to spend less on the game and only buy the characters we'd be interested in I'm cool with that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Has no one learned from Valve and their F2P model?

Give the game away for free and sell funny hats.

How fucking hard is that to do, God dammit MS.

Mr Swine

Banned
Microsoft doesn't care, all they see is dollar bills. I mean if you want to try out the other characters them you need to buy everything. I mean WAT :|

Yeah oh yeah!

Mattrick:" This is it! If you wanna play EVERY fighter, then you need to pay for EVERY fighter! Cmon this is business!".

EYEL1NER

lol...
I can't wait for the tier list to come out and read complaints about there only being one or two characters being main'd online by everyone and how it is no fun.

They should price the characters according to current fighting games standards. For example, MVC3 debuted at $60 and with 46 characters. That means that each fighter should cost $1.30. If MS prices their fighters at anything greater than 1.50 then they are the scam artists of the century.

:3

Raxus

I never got why people treated Killer Instinct like a sacred cow.

It doesn't matter anyways since the F2P model will kill it. Also, judging from the gameplay, it didn't look terribly hot either.

No serious fighting game fan will support this game.

KaiserBecks

How many people bought Street Fighter IV only to play as Ryu or Ken? You should actually try it out before you judge it...that's pretty much the idea behind F2P.

V_Arnold

How many people bought Street Fighter IV only to play as Ryu or Ken? You should actually try it out before you judge it...that's pretty much the idea behind F2P.

Judging by the online lobbies in SF around launch...pretty much the vast majority of casual gamers :p

Lynd7

Terrible.. Why couldn't this of been a legit real game where you buy all the content outright? Sell some DLC characters or something..

Ridley327

Yeah, I figured this was where they were going with it after all the evidence started piling up for the game. It's astonishing that there's only one free character, though.

Wiseblade

Yeah, and that lack of diversity in the characters people play was/is one of the worst things about Street Fighter IV. Killer Instinct is only going to exacerbate that issue by making "KI's Ryu" the only character you start off with and putting the rest of the cast behind a paywall. Even If I were to buy a character, the overwhelming majority of people I'll face will be using the same guy and that sounds horrible.

zainetor

Banned
Yeah, and that lack of diversity in the characters people play was/is one of the worst things about Street Fighter IV. Killer Instinct is only going to exacerbate that issue by making "KI's Ryu" the only character you start off with and putting the rest of the cast behind a paywall. Even If I were to buy a character, the overwhelming majority of people I'll face will be using the same guy and that sounds horrible.

so it's like sf4, but free.

dancmc

If it's implemented ok; it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I am not a huge fighting game fan; but those that I did play; I usually gravitate towards only a couple characters; which means I could potentially get my full enjoyment out of this game for less than retail price. It will all boil down to implementation; which has to include an option to by the full roster of the game for $40-60.

No one who has played a collective fighter could possibly think this is a God idea. Heck, no one who has seen their casual friends have a few hours of random select bouts could think this is a good idea.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I've always felt the League of Legends model would be interesting on a fighting game (this includes a free rotation).

However, given Microsoft's previous attempts at FTP (AoE, Flight), I don't think it will work.

Flatline

Banned
No one who has played a collective fighter could possibly think this is a God idea. Heck, no one who has seen their casual friends have a few hours of random select bouts could think this is a good idea.

They don't give a shit, it's just a cash grab for them exploiting nostalgia. Hell, look at the developer they chose to resurrect the franchise.

jim2011

Umm...

Could it possibly allow you to pay one price to unlock everything?

F2P seems to be the trend in fighting games, I don't know why everyone is acting like Microsoft is the first.

Both DOA and Tekken announced F2P versions before this that are coming this year. People seemed pretty excited over that... Seems like people just want to crap on Microsoft.

Raisins_Face.jpg

Has no one learned from Valve and their F2P model?

Give the game away for free and sell funny hats.

How fucking hard is that to do, God dammit MS.

This. I hate it when people defend LoL/Tribes/Smite/whatever's shitty business model. Dota2 is the only F2P done right.

I guess I'm weird, since F2P is the only way to get me interested in this game, lol. I was never a huge fan of the series or anything, so the idea of paying $60 for a Killer Instinct game was always laughable to me

Hahahahahahahahahahahah!!! They gave people a game that everyone was asking for a loooooooong time. Only to fuck it up in the process.

pixlexic

Banned
What's the problem ? You can either buy the whole game as usual or just by a few fighters for cheaper.

Seems like a win win to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom