• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead 'can fuck off into space' - Matt Lees talks about "Gigolo mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astarte

If you think the way Killer is Dead handles "looking for flings" depicts real-life flirtation, I have some news for you.

Because a minor throwaway mini game in a fantasy universe needs the same societal rules that our world follows. For all I know people in kid's world fuck by touching fingertips.

Courage

Since this is sort of relevant, here's an interview with Suda where he's asked about possible controversy about the mode.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/sud...ienating-female-players-with-gigolo-missions/

Hyper-bullshit. He does this shit with every single game and it never sticks.

Criticizing him =/= saying "all his games are terrible" when you haven't played all his games. I'd think it'd be better to say "everything I've seen of his is terrible" or something, and admittedly his recent output hasn't been of the flavor I want which is more Killer7 or what I played of Flower, Sun, and Rain.

Still, I hope the main game is closer to those than Shadows of the Damned or Lollipop Chainsaw. It's clear he can really make some crazy surreal stuff and be more David Lynch and less Tarantino.

Alright, true enough. Will edit my post.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Those are the only 2 good games he's done.

You missed out on Flower Sun & Rain. Though that's mostly good if you're into weird story and amazing music and fun dialogue. Graphics are butt and the gameplay is,well it's there.

Hyper-bullshit. He does this shit with every single game and it never sticks.

I'm pretty sure there are more games that aren't like that. It's odd how he chose to go this way for KID though, because all the sexual stuff in the first NMH was pretty much meta-commentary making fun of the average gamer fantasies.

Lime

I'll admit, this sounds def a bit on the off side, then again, can't see how it really is so it's a bit out of context. That being said, when someone get's this up in arms about a game, I have to wonder if they felt similar ways about say GTA 3 and the hookers, or... more recently Saints Row The Third, when they actually had a naked voice box man pulling your get away carraige?

I'm not saying this is always the case, but people sure love to cherry pick what games they put this kind of pressure on more then others.

Context and tone. There are very distinct qualitative differences between something like Saint's Row and Pervy Oggling Minigame Simulator 2013. Surely you can identify these differences, right?

Astarte

Yes, all those times I have met ladies in bars and stared at their ladyparts covertly until I figure out whether they want my money, alcohol or just some flowers before having sex with me. Please, don't be so stupid. This does not reflect "real life bars" and if you think it does I presume you live in your mothers basement and have barely seen daylight nevermind a bar.

Wow, thanks for going straight for a personal attack. I'll meet you tonight for a DND session and we can sleep together on a floor covered with pizza boxes

See, you not having played killer 7 or flower sun and rain puts your opinion of 'all his games are terrible and perverted' straight to shit. What the hell is up with male feminists and social justice brigades?

Killer 7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain are bad games because they have bad, tedious gameplay. Especially Flower, Sun, and Rain.

mb.exe

So he's calling the game shit because of an optional mode about mondo wanting to have sex with women. A mode that mirrors what takes place in real life bars where people regularly go to meet people of the opposite sex and have indiscriminate sex afterwards.
I don't fucking understand this dude.

He's calling the game shit because part of the "gameplay" involves the dehumanization, manipulation, and reduction of women into sex puzzles.

suzu

It is a stupid mode that I will most likely ignore, but I dunno if I'd dismiss the entire game over it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like it reduces women to gold digging, boob jiggling objects. And not just objects, but targets. Targets which you are rewarded for harassing.

Fuck off into space, indeed.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
He's calling the game shit because part of the "gameplay" involves the dehumanization, manipulation, and reduction of women into sex puzzles.

But the creator has made some good games, so who cares!

vulva

Ethnic Cleansing is also a game that's just an extension of fantasy. Doesn't prevent it from being distasteful and offensive.
So ethnic cleansing is an entirely fantasy world that has no grounding in reality? Don't be such a tool.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also, for reals, how are you a gigolo if you're paying people to sleep with you.

Courage

You missed out on Flower Sun & Rain. Though that's mostly good if you're into weird story and amazing music and fun dialogue. Graphics are butt and the gameplay is,well it's there.

I'm pretty sure there are more games that aren't like that. It's odd how he chose to go this way for KID though, because all the sexual stuff in the first NMH was pretty much meta-commentary making fun of the average gamer fantasies.
I can see it working in that context, but it seems just because it worked in the instance of that specific game, he thought it'd be cool to litter over-the-top perversions in every single game he is involved in to the point where it gets irritating.

mollipen

Yep. I saw a preview bashing Dragon's Crown yesterday, for the tits. I'm getting tired of it.

And some of us are getting tried of the way a lot of games portray women.

Won't judge Killer is Dead until I play it for myself, but I've yet to play a game from Suda that I've actually thought was good from a gameplay standpoint. I liked FSR, but not because it was a good game. And I tried as hard as I could to like Lollipop, but it was impossible to.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Suda51. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Nanashi

Banned
Look at it this way: If the game had featured something called "Prostitute Mode", you'd have people burning the game at the stake by now.

It's so much easier to take offensive or repugnant positions on civil issues when men get the short end of the stick.

So the "game play" includes dehumanization of women, extremely sexist overtones, and sexual harassment. Not okay with this, if it is actually as he describes.

Edit: Okay, so having all the facts now... this was extremely over fucking blown on the guy in the videos part. Talk about sensationalist journalism.

DukeBobby

I completed Flower, Sun, and Rain. The story was interesting, but the gameplay was simply dreadful. I don't regret playing it, but It's a game I'll never touch ever again.

antitrop

EDIT: HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO, I changed my mind.

Not with a 10 foot poll, nevermind. I have no opinion here, I'm out.

Astarte

Killer 7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain are bad games because they have bad, tedious gameplay. Especially Flower, Sun, and Rain.

Killer 7 has bad gameplay, sure. But it's gameplay stemming from a plot related point. Why everything is on rails, etc. Dismissing both games as bad is something I'll disagree with, but nothing I can say will sway your mind.

geebee

Banned
You don't see how one person might have an issue with a game wherein you trick women to have sex with you by a) staring at their boobs without getting caught, b) staring at their boobs again, this time with X-ray glasses, and c) giving them gifts of money or liquor?
Are gamers complaining about extreme violence in games? No.

Hellix

It is a stupid mode that I will most likely ignore, but I dunno if I'd dismiss the entire game over it.

I am actually pretty hyped about the gameplay. It looks very flashy, fast-paced and fun. I wouldn't cancel my pre-order over this.

Context and tone. There are very distinct qualitative differences between something like Saint's Row and Pervy Oggling Minigame Simulator 2013. Surely you can identify these differences, right?

Of course but I can't see what he is seeing and until I see it myself, I'm not going to side with it one way or another. I'll make my own judgement call when I play the game myself.

Shauni

Weird, possibly sexist things, in video games from Japan? Oh my God, call the fucking Mythbusters here, because this shit can't be real!

Unison

This white knighting is like that eurogamer Leisure Suit Larry review. Games journalists like this should be fired.

I couldn't really pay attention to his point, I was too mesmerized watching him squirm uncomfortably, spending more time being offended rather than making a point.

Jenga

Banned
this sounds horrifying, just the thought of giving women things for sex shocks and offends me

seriously, i'm going to go cry into my kirino pillow I can't take this anymore

she's not real because the real world is full of pigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom