• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead 'can fuck off into space' - Matt Lees talks about "Gigolo mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenga

Banned
It's not simply looking at women's breasts -- it's staring, in secret, and doing so persistently for the purpose of getting off on it.
I do that. Every guy I knows does that. Are they a target for me? Normally I either do nothing, or make small talk. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. Am I a monster?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All the people saying "lol male feminists" are adding nothing to this conversation.

TaroYamada

That is horrible logic that in these types of situations, just leads to bad things.

Yup, everything should made with as broad of appeal as possible. That's not horrible logic.

I do that. Every guy I knows does that. Are they a target for me? Normally I either do nothing, or make small talk. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. Am I a monster?

Yup, you're a pig. A big fat pig at a titty trough. You pig.

Rehynn

I obviously haven't played the game, but as described I'd say a game where you wordlessly stare at a woman's breasts until you can see through her clothes, and then figure out whether cash or flowers would best get her to sleep with you miiiiiight be a little different than "The Sims"

All puzzles essentially. You do stuff to sleep with women and manipulate people into doing what you want.

If somebody thinks this is supposed to mimic real life, well, they shoudl stay away from video games altogether.

Gun Animal

Took the title as meaning you could literally fuck in space, seeing as how one of the levels does take place on the moon. Already pre-ordered three copies so I could give it as a gift to some friends, this just makes me want to pre-order even more copies.

Laughably bad, but if the actual game is good, then I won't take a white knight stance just because the game features a cringeworthy segment.

Several people here that played it at E3 listed it as one of their favorite games of the show and noted that it has by far the best gameplay of any Suda title.

:/

Lees, I know you post here and you're a cool guy, but I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed you're writing off the entire game and trying to make others do the same because of one obviously satirical mode that has nothing to do with the main game.

It's not simply looking at women's breasts -- it's staring, in secret, and doing so persistently for the purpose of getting off on it. Remember, these women are targets.

I'll let you in on a secret: Women do stare, and imagine what's under that shirt/tight jeans.

It's called being a sexually active human being.

Symthic

Banned
Going in to a bar with fictional glasses that allow you to detect their likes and dislikes is realistic to you? Where does it state that you treat them like dirt? Do you verbally abuse them? Hit them? Do you drug them?

Be honest here, how much do you actually know about this mode beyond what was stated in the video? Even the video didn't represent what you were saying, so I'm wondering if you make a habit of taking strong stances on something you know nothing about.
You don't treat them like a human being; you just stare at them as an object of lust without actually caring for their personality, interests, et cetera. You treat them like an object that is to be had and nothing more.

What am I saying that the video isn't representing? I don't find myself to be at all far from what was presented.

Nanashi

Banned
It's not simply looking at women's breasts -- it's staring, in secret, and doing so persistently for the purpose of getting off on it. Remember, these women are targets.

Would staring at them overtly for the purposes of curiosity be any better?

Maybe they're sex objects because they're presented as sex objects. If they didn't want to be sex objects, they could simply stick to a T-shirt and jeans (which is acceptable attire for a bar). Or a burqa. Wearing an outfit that makes your boobies prominent and then complaining when people stare at you for dressing provocatively is rather silly.

Of course, nobody's saying they should RAPE you, but you can't fault them for staring.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member

You do realize it's a Japanese game right?

vulva

You don't treat them like a human being; you just stare at them as an object of lust without actually caring for their personality, interests, et cetera. You treat them like an object that is to be had and nothing more.

What am I saying that the video isn't representing? I don't find myself to be at all far from what was presented.

Looking at a woman is treating them like dirt? Using fictional technology is somehow something that equates to genocide?

Hypersexuality and objectification in what's pretty clearly a "B movie" exploitation anime where a ton of ridiculous crap is happening around every corner.

SHOCKING

Now how about some gameplay impressions, huh?

Village

Yup, everything should made with as broad of appeal as possible. That's not horrible logic.

I never said that, however. Using everything shouldn't appeal to everyone to justify , sexism,racism ect. In the already horrible sexist,racist,ect. world we live in isn't helping anyone really.

Regardless of my opinion of whether this is sexist or not, that train of thing just leads to prejudice in these types of situations. Its stunts conversation and no one gets anywhere.

WTF did I just watch?

I've never heard of the video's narrator. But he points out near the end that the game is not going for controversy. Meanwhile I can't tell if the video was made in good conscious to create controversy and get clicks because sexism is a hot button topic in gaming right now OR if the narrator truly feels offended by the content.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll let you in on a secret: Women do stare, and imagine what's under that shirt/tight jeans.

It's called being a sexually active human being.
Again, it's not about merely looking at someone you find attractive. Obviously that's okay. I draw the line at doing so in a predatory way, which the game very obviously encourages.

Because the video is a huge overreaction and cringeworthy?

How is it an overreaction? He's basically saying that Suda 51 can't be taken seriously as a developer with bullshit like this. It's sexist, its disgusting and it does nothing to advance the "art form" of video games (not that I'm in favor of the "video games are art" argument, but many gamers are). Whether you see it as hyperbole or not, I stand by those words because I want to believe in the respectability of the video game medium.

Swifty

Since when do guys go into bars picking up girls using X-ray glasses? And how is looking at their breasts and crotch without them noticing supposed to get them to want to sleep with you? And based on what I've heard, being successful in this mode gives you access to better weapons and upgrades?

These game mechanics make absolutely no sense.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
WTF did I just watch?

I've never heard of the video's narrator. But he points out near the end that the game is not going for controversy. Meanwhile I can't tell if the video was made in good conscious to create controversy and get clicks because sexism is a hot button topic in gaming right now OR if the narrator truly feels offended by the content.

Maybe he's mad that never worked for him

So are computer games meant to be our moral compass?

is there any chance that the character himself is meant to be sexist?

as in intentionally designed that way?

do people think suda 51 is a misogynist?

can anyone create anything intentionally sexist?

is context dead?

where were the tears for lollipop chainsaw?

winter

I'm always amused at the people who fake disgust and outrage over a game's sexual content, yet they don't seem to think the rest of the game revolving solely about murdering and maiming other human beings as offensive. It's a highly fascinating luck at modern society's obsession with preset agendas

Stupid, bogus argument. It's very simple people. The following is why ridiculous sexist depictions of women in videogames are a bigger deal than violence in videogames:

Attitudes that murder is socially acceptable are NOT widespread in society.

Attitudes that hold that it's ok to objectify women sexually ARE widespread in society.

LordJim

I suddenly remembered those card/mahjong/pool games where you had to achieve a high score to get women to undress.
They do not really make these anymore and I see why.

They are now minigame category

The defenders and anti-feminists in this thread are fucking hilarious. Could any one of them please explain why they're looking forward to gigolo mode and what it brings to the table? It's embarrassing.

Symthic

Banned
Looking at a woman is treating them like dirt? Using fictional technology is somehow something that equates to genocide?
Treating a woman like an object that has no feelings, emotions, or personality is treating them like dirt; that is to say, an object. Fictional technology is inconsequential.

I never said that this mode is at the same level as Ethnic Cleansing, I merely brought it up to say that just because it is fantasy doesn't mean that it's not offensive or distasteful in any way.

I'm always amused at the people who fake disgust and outrage over a game's sexual content, yet they don't seem to think the rest of the game revolving solely about murdering and maiming other human beings as offensive. It's a highly fascinating look at modern society's obsession with preset agendas

Some of these games even reduce men to objects to be killed, mere "targets" for violence. As if all they can do is attack you and die.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hypersexuality and objectification in what's pretty clearly a "B movie" exploitation anime where a ton of ridiculous crap is happening around every corner.

SHOCKING

Now how about some gameplay impressions, huh?

...How about more pictures of Jessica Nigri instead?

That's the worst part about this game. And the worst part about Lollipop. Suda is simping hard.

FireVoa

I do agree that this Gigolo mode sounds weird, but honestly Matt? That was a huge fucking overreaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yzRc33psU

That's Gigolo mode right there. Laughably bad, but if the actual game is good, then I won't take a white knight stance just because the game features a cringeworthy segment.

That's what he's losing his shit over? It's basically a built in mode for anyone that enjoys seeing game character's in less clothing. I guess it's ok to make characters in MGS Peacewalker run around in their bathing suits and take pictures (CQC Paz) or play Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball but Suda 51 is evil...

Rehynn

Again, it's not about merely looking at someone you find attractive. Obviously that's okay. I draw the line at doing so in a predatory way, which the game very obviously encourages.

Wait, the women in the game don't consent to the sex?

Jenga

Banned
Reading through this thread doesn't not support your argument. Of course OT has some shittiness, but sexist bullshit should be called out, not defended "because its from Japan".
It should be defended when it's satirical. Which is essentially all Suda and Grasshopper does post-NMH.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Today it's "progressive" vloggers getting on a high horse over some niche video games.

Yesterday it was old Catholic ladies protesting over horror comics or the scary themes in Doctor Who.

It's all the same. I will never understand the media policing instinct.

pargonta

i forgot how beautiful this game's art style was. hot damn.

giving gifts is a little iffy, and player rewards for conquering females is a little more iffy. (*cough* sleeping dogs *cough*) but we shall see how it meshes with the rest of the game. looks suitably goofy and not realistic.

LordJim

The defenders and anti-feminists in this thread are fucking hilarious. Could any one of them please explain why they're looking forward to gigolo mode and what it brings to the table? It's embarrassing.

Did that many people say 'looking forward to this mode'?
Most people seem to be in the 'I will enjoy the rest of the game regardless of one silly mode' camp

Village

Remember, these women are not real, it's a game.

If this is sarcasm ok,
if it isn't that horrible logic. I'm sorry you know song of the south you can't be offended by that it isn't real. Even though real people made it and someone thought it was ok.

You do realize it's a Japanese game right?

And in Russia you can video tape the beating of some homosexual teens.Not saying this is anywhere near the level of the former, however country of origin justifies jackus shiticus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom