• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead Reviews Thread

spekkeh

Banned
The Gamespot reviewer sort of knocked the game for the same stuff, being Japanese with "anime cliches" and... how because its story is wacky it can't match the Western contemporaries...

It's interesting how most AAA games aren't knocked for their jingoistic American military cliches. But then they are cliches because they speak to a large subset of the culture, so they're probably genuinely less bothered by that.

No, it's not because I had Suda51 as my picture, but ha! This is mostly BS. I never read reviews but I had to read a few of these to form my opinion on what the reviewers said. All it did is reiterate my point in my gaming journalism today is terrible. I'm not talking about scores or how my opinion is the right opinion, but the fact that so many missed key points of the game.
Yes, I have infact already completed Killer is Dead and most of the negatives are trivial in reality but overexaggerated in the "reviews".

I'd easily say the worst part about Killer is Dead is the horrendous amount of screen tearing. Modern Gaming Journalism, what a load of shite.

I also played this game when two other females were in the room and not one of them were offended but instead, found the gigolo mode silly fun. It happens in real life and people are just as creepy like that, while some females enjoy that kind of attention. It's also worth noting that the reason you do those side missions is because it's to give you upgrades, not for beating off too(well, if you want to you can).

I agree with you. Wouldn't surprise me if reviewers missed the point of the game. I rather wait for hands-on impressions from the GAFfers here. Not for the reviews of these "professionals" from the press.

GeekyDad

DNl85fy.jpg

Found a use for his promo paper.

Cardon

No, it's not because I had Suda51 as my picture, but ha! This is mostly BS. I never read reviews but I had to read a few of these to form my opinion on what the reviewers said. All it did is reiterate my point in my gaming journalism today is terrible. I'm not talking about scores or how my opinion is the right opinion, but the fact that so many missed key points of the game.
Yes, I have infact already completed Killer is Dead and most of the negatives are trivial in reality but overexaggerated in the "reviews".

I'd easily say the worst part about Killer is Dead is the horrendous amount of screen tearing. Gaming Journalism, what a load of shite.

As a "journo/blogger" myself, I have to agree with you. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it does seem like a good amount of the journos out there do miss the point of certain games at times and instead opt to focus on things that either aren't major or simply decide to harp on one issue and dish out a 4/10 score.

That said, I'm probably the only person that thoroughly enjoyed the game for what it is as per my review.

Astarte

To hell with reviews. If I had listened to them, I would have never picked up nier, deadly premonition, dynasty warriors, and god hand

You can be wacky and still tell a coherent story. If you're not able to do that then there's no reason to get invested in any of the characters or to know or understand any of their motivations. It just becomes stuff that happens for no discernible reason and most people don't find that sort of thing interesting or engaging.

dreamfall

I'm excited to play it!

Suda love- it seems as though most of his recent titles are love/hate with very little in between. I like his style, loved Shadows/LC.

Probably won't be getting Killer is Dead at launch, but I'm looking forward to playing it eventually.

Guejnly.png

This would have been the perfect review quote to put on the game's cover.

Reviews pretty much echo my experience with the game.

It's shockingly dull. I can't remember the last time a Suda game actually bored me, but this certainly did.

I normally dig his stuff even when the gameplay is lacking (IE always), but this time was too much.

fi1ip

Wow, the game is getting destroyed it those reviews.

I actually waited for the reviews to come out. Now I'm definitely skipping this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
maaan, between this and Lost Planet 3, we are seeing very low score...disappointed by Suda, but it's not entirely new. from Killer 7 and NMH 1 goodness, he seems on a declining inspiration route imho

Astarte

maaan, between this and Lost Planet 3, we are seeing very low score...disappointed by Suda, but it's not entirely new. from Killer 7 and NMH 1 goodness, he seems on a declining inspiration route imho

He hasn't really directed a console game since nmh1.

I am more worried about the screen tearing than any of the other "issues" with the game. It generally gives me a headache. I have feeling the game will be cool enough that I'll simply play through it.

I am glad this game is going to flop. This guy gets way to much credit.

Yeah, this'll teach him. Maybe he'll retire, or even better, start making the same types of games as everyone else.

I agree with you. Wouldn't surprise me if reviewers missed the point of the game. I rather wait for hands-on impressions from the GAFfers here. Not for the reviews of these "professionals" from the press.

I'm not able to articulate my points across in a way that "PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS" can but I can tell you now, that the reviews I've read (IGN, Polygon(I really hate them anyway) are wrong/dismissive of important parts of the game.

As a "journo/blogger" myself, I have to agree with you. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it does seem like a good amount of the journos out there do miss the point of certain games at times and instead opt to focus on things that either aren't major or simply decide to harp on one issue and dish out a 4/10 score.

That said, I'm probably the only person that thoroughly enjoyed the game for what it is as per my review.

I'm gonna read your website more. You review contained more detail than the others did combined.

As for the whole sexist BS, it's really not. Some people forget that 'gigolos' actually exist and that females in bars ACTUALLY enjoy being oogled. I fail to see how this is even the slightest bit degrading to women because it's doesn't generalise any gender in anyway. You could easily turn this game around and say, "well Suda51 obviously hates men because he always makes his male characters perverted and sleazebag-like". Not to mention, I did play this game with two females in the room and neither were offended.

I know it looks like I'm fanboying it up, so, bad parts of Killer is Dead:
  • Some of the worst screen-tearing I've ever seen(I played on Xbox 360)
  • The combo system is fun but not the kind of system that works
  • The voice acting can feel off at times.
  • A lot of the game is never explained (Why Vivienne has a
    a secret multi-arm power form)
  • It suffers from the usual Suda51 problem of being around 8-15 hours long with little to no replay value other than unlockable costumes, getting better ranks and difficulties.

This game at one point sees you on the moon, to then suddenly asking the question "Did I ride here on a blue Unicorn"? It's amazing.

I just hope anyone who has enjoyed a Suda/Grasshopper game in the past gives this a go. It really feels like the best bits of everything he has put out before come together. Killer 7 vibe with No More Heroes gameplay and bits of Shadows of the Damned/Lollipop Chainsaw as well.

Revven

You can be wacky and still tell a coherent story. If you're not able to do that then there's no reason to get invested in any of the characters or to know or understand any of their motivations. It just becomes stuff that happens for no discernible reason and most people don't find that sort of thing interesting or engaging.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not but I wasn't complaining about how he's wrong to knock the game for not having a coherent story and how you can't have a coherent story when a game is wacky. My complaint was because he was making that complaint in conjunction with comparing it to "western contemporaries". Suggesting that because it's a Japanese game and its story is wacky that the game is "stuck in the past" and isn't modern at all. Which is bullshit.

I enjoy some Grasshopper games. Sine Mora is great (I HOPE YOU DIE DOWN THERE KOSS!). Contact was lovely. Thing is... neither of these are Suda games.

The low review scores I feel are undeniably warranted here. The game is shallow, monotonous and trite beyond words. I'm well aware of the fact that mechanically a Suda/ Grasshopper game is going to fall on the mediocre side, but at least they tend to have something good and/ or interesting to somewhat negate the bad. KiD has nothing going for it and it pains me to think I actually paid full price for this hollow experience of a game.

Cwarrior

Deserves to bomba. Here's to the creepy gigolo mode defence force, enjoy cranking it to your steaming turd of a game.

My man you beat me to it.

Suda 51 should get his priorities in order and start focusing on the game aspect instead of the offensive off putting perverted stuff in his games.

Revven

I just hope anyone who has enjoyed a Suda/Grasshopper game in the past gives this a go. It really feels like the best bits of everything he has put out before come together. Killer 7 vibe with No More Heroes gameplay and bits of Shadows of the Damned/Lollipop Chainsaw as well.

I don't know if I could stomach it if it has a crap ton of screen tearing.

Astarte

He definitely seems overrated.....the guy is average at best at making games.

But the thing is...he hasn't personally directed a game since no more heroes 1. Flower, sun, and rain, killer 7, silver case, and nmh1 were all fantastic because of every detail being displayed in suda's vision. Now I guess he's too afraid of being experimental and directing any more...though liberation maiden is fun to play.

Carnby

If this game is as bad as they say, then it's probably going to bomb. Am I correct in believing the LE will be the standard edition and will be easy to obtain for years to come?

I'm a fan of Suda's stuff, but that's really pushing the truth. It's not nearly as dark or interesting as Killer7, the combat isn't as physically satisfying as NMH (nor does it have the satirical angle) and it's less polished than Damned, less vibrant than Chainsaw. I don't think it's as bad as some reviews have made out - the combat's fun, Gigolo mode is mostly optional and so OTT as to be hard to take seriously - but it's no way a Suda greatest hits, or if it is, it's one performed by a fairly average covers band.

My man you beat to it.

Suda 51 should get his priorities in order and start focusing on the game aspect instead of the offensive off putting perverted stuff in his games.

FWIW they're completely optional and are quick to complete if you do want to see/do everything. I only unlocked two of them throughout the game anyway.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not but I wasn't complaining about how he's wrong to knock the game for not having a coherent story and how you can't have a coherent story when a game is wacky. My complaint was because he was making that complaint in conjunction with comparing it to "western contemporaries". Suggesting that because it's a Japanese game and its story is wacky that the game is "stuck in the past" and isn't modern at all. Which is bullshit.

Nah it was directed at the general attitudes I see surrounding most Suda games. Which is why I didn't quote anyone in particular.

I love when crazy things happen in games. It's a great medium for it because everything is digital and designers are only limited by their imaginations. But you have to keep at least part of the story grounded for anyone to care. And it's not an easy thing to do because you tend to write yourself into corners or plot holes that you just magic your way out of because why not? Which at this point in the game industry is what it is. Most games have terrible stories. But as far as I'm concerned you at least need to have a fun and engaging game to play.

Some people are going to love the abstract zaniness enough to look over the games myriad flaws. And that's great. We all love games for different reasons. But most people aren't going to be able to ignore those problems.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
He hasn't really directed a console game since nmh1.

So, what is he doing? PR? In any case should stop using his name to sell Grasshopper games, if, when not directed by him, they lost his old magic touch becoming just bland copycats of the good old games he did in the past imho
Compared to K7 and NMH1 (great games imho), with a still good but nothing more NMH2, was saw just re-edition of NMH, and a bunch of bland generic action games such as Shadow of the damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and now this

I once loved him, I've even got his autograph and promo materials directly from him for my Killer7 copy once(he visited Italy back at that time to discuss with EA about the publishing of Shadow of the Damned, so I'd really like to see him back at his previous quality levels

I don't doubt that the game deserves the bad scores, but the complaints about misogynistic contents are coming off as highly hypocritical coming from people that have no problems heaping praise upon the next fascistoid xenophobic modern war shooter for it's engaging and thrill ridden plot. Celebrating perverse mutilations and torture and completely overlooking misogynistic shit in games like God of War.

Still, Suda 51 is a tragic story. So much potential, so much wasted potential.
I loved Killer 7, despite it's horrible controls.

What's the point of the game?

I haven't played it yet, so I can't really tell. :p

I'm not particularly a Suda51 fan but I quite enjoyed Shadows of the Damned and Black Knight Sword. I would like to try it, but the screen-tearing I see in gameplay videos puts me off a little. I don't know if I can play this without getting sick. Someday maybe.

OK, I was on the fence but between reviews and impressions here on gaf this isn't worth full price. I hope the fan edition isn't too limited, I want to grab that after it drops in price because of the art book.

I'm a fan of Suda's stuff, but that's really pushing the truth. It's not nearly as dark or interesting as Killer7, the combat isn't as physically satisfying as NMH (nor does it have the satirical angle) and it's less polished than Damned, less vibrant than Chainsaw. I don't think it's as bad as some reviews have made out - the combat's fun, Gigolo mode is mostly optional and so OTT as to be hard to take seriously - but it's no way a Suda greatest hits, or if it is, it's one performed by a fairly average covers band.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. It doesn't go as dark as Killer 7, but there's a much darker, more interesting plot (at times, I know it's not all serious) here compared with anything else he's done besides Killer 7.

I found the combat to be the best I've played in a Suda game. I agree with you that NMH system was great fun, but personally, the dodging/counters etc were more enjoyable for me.

Completely agree re: Gigolo mode though.

Top Bottom