• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead Reviews Thread

wsippel

Banned
GHM's games pretty much went down the shitter when Suda stopped actually directing them. And I guess ignoring what fanbase he had on Nintendo platforms, where he was a somewhat big and colorful fish in a small pond with very little competition, wasn't a good idea when it came to sales (and reviews), either.

rvy

Banned
It is weird, true, but who knows what it could be attributed to? There was a campaign against this game by Western press timed perfectly with the ongoing discussion of sexism/feminism in the industry but Suda's games have always been polarizing. It could be a multitude of things at this point. I tend to avoid the tinfoil hat conclusions but if there truly is a campaign going on in North America against this game I'll be the first to eat crow.

Your mistake is believing that there's a campaign against the game itself, a Suda51 game is nowhere near big enough to justify anything like that, nor is the press gonna do shit about the major titles that suffer from similar issues. There is a trendy-feminism campaign going on in NA however. And it's easier to pick-up on KiD than say... GTA V or something. It doesn't hurt your wallet in terms of ads either. Picking on KiD makes you look legit though, on your high moral ground, fighting for what's right.

If the reviewers didn't like the misogyny in the game then that should be reflected in the score.

Yeah, see that's the problem. They pick the type of misogyny they like based on how much flack they're going to get for it and how much will the outrage cost them.

Who said I like Suda game(s)?

(...)

Hated No More Heroes

Cancel your pre-order at once.

Interesting how the EU scores are much higher than the others. Even though I don't make purchase decisions based on reviews I will have to read through those for curiosity's sake to see why there is such a divide.

I loved Lolipop Chainsaw which also didn't get stellar reviews last year so I'm looking forward to my copy of the game arriving this week.

PVKtgDe.png

What about Custer's Revenge?

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, see that's the problem. They pick the type of misogyny they like based on how much flack they're going to get for it and how much will the outrage cost them

Definitely. Watch how little they're going to care about this in GTA V.

260691-head.jpg

But they're perfectly happy slamming niche Japanese games.

Anyway, I think Destructoid's 7/10 seems pretty fair. Chris Carter has good taste in games, and knows how to play action games. He's also not deducting anything because of gigolo mode, I can assure you.

The game is still average at best, and probably has shallow gameplay. Fun for fans of Suda, and fans of the gorgeous art style, or people looking for an easy beat em up. Nothing ground breaking though.

Objectifying? Yeah, probably. Nothing wrong with that though.

Misogynistic though? Get the fuck out with that shit. I'm so tired of people that don't know what the word means.

Shinta

Banned
Can you imagine what would happen in this year of video games if GTA SA was first released and you would get a hooker to boost your health above 100 kill her after then use money to buy armor.

10/10 still. They like to only shit on small, niche Japanese developers. They want to feel superior, so they externalize their own perversion and pretend "the other" is far worse.

Meanwhile all these people love watching shows with incest, rape, prostitution and torture like Game of Thrones.

rvy

Banned
Can you imagine what would happen in this year of video games if GTA SA was first released and you would get a hooker to boost your health above 100 kill her after then use money to buy armor.

I kidnapped a girl, tied her and gagged her, put her in the trunk of my car and drove around.
Where was the outrage then?

Turns out people only give a shit if their ass is covered.

Timeaisis

I don't like to judge a game just because I think it's content is disagreeable, even if it may not be for me. All things being equal though, this game still sounds like garbage.

Kibokun

I was more than a little put off by Destructoid labeling the gigolo mini-games as 'virtual dates'. I'm not sure what kind of dates that guy has been on, but that ain't right. That just ain't right.

10/10 still. They like to only shit on small, niche Japanese developers. They want to feel superior, so they externalize their own perversion and pretend "the other" is far worse.

Meanwhile all these people love watching shows with incest, rape, prostitution and torture like Game of Thrones.

Niche Japanise developers don't have millions of USD to spend on marketing.

And no marketing budget = +1000 boost to gaming journous courage.

Lees and Gies hate it, now I want to try it

Yep that's like 2 GOTY awards ;)

rvy

Banned
Is this for real? How come Kotaku and co. never see anything bad about this but somehow japanese games are a scapegoat?

I can assure you Suda51 doesn't have money to buy ads on websites.

I can assure you his publishers don't have enough faith in him to buy ads either.

And really, let's face it. Nobody gives a shit if they're blacklisted by Grasshopper.

Niche Japanise developers don't have millions of USD to spend on marketing.

And no marketing budget = +1000 boost to gaming journous courage.

What a nice way of putting it.

vitacola

Tell me, US-GAF, is there another meaning to "mysogny" in the English language than "hatred against women"? I don't see the hate in this game.

Other reviews ...
Especially the German reviews have a very positive opinion about the game.

English reviews:
The Controller Online - rating
8/10
http://thecontrolleronline.com/2013/08/killer-is-dead-review/

TechHive - rating
1.5/5
http://www.techhive.com/article/2047523/review-killer-is-dead-is-a-sexist-garbled-mess.html

The Sixth Axis - rating
5/10
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/08/27/review-killer-is-dead/

Other languages:
PC Games (DE) - rating
82%
http://www.pcgames.de/Killer-is-Dead-PS3-255468/Tests/Killer-is-Dead-im-Test-1085359/

GameStar (DE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hSkFzjHJh_Y#t=208

GameZone (DE) - rating
8/10
http://www.gamezone.de/Killer-is-De...ant-skurril-und-irgendwie-verwirrend-1085477/

IGN Spain - rating
77%
http://es.ign.com/review/9618/analisis-killer-is-dead-suda-51-ps3-360

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
FWIW, I found the camera to be much better than the one in Metal Gear Rising. Like that game it has problems with cramped interior locations but they're few and far between.

You know what, I think I'll still get it. Just not at full price. The game looks fun enough on its own and interesting enough on premise alone. If the gameplay can deliver 20% of the satisfaction that MGR gave me then it'll be worth it.

Tain

My hate for NMH comes from me finding all the "parody" stuff super lame, the aesthetics god-awful, and the combat to be super dull. This game sounds like it won't have the first two issues and the combat will be a step up from Lollipop, which was a step up from NMH in the first place.

rvy

Banned
Looking at the image, one has to wonder how many GTA V players will be called basement-dwelling masturbators by outraged media.

badgenome

Tell me, US-GAF, is there another meaning to "mysogny" in the English language than "hatred against women"? I don't see the hate in this game.

Yes. It can also mean "any arbitrary thing that certain people don't like and/or feel like raising a stink about to generate page hits".

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Low grades for a Grasshopper title? It must be good, then. The Gigolo MIssions sound weird, but I'll hold my judgment further until I play them.

Looking at the image, one has to wonder how many GTA V players will be called basement-dwelling masturbators by outraged media.

GTA players are already seen as mass murderers by news outlets, so why not? Let's add more negative image to the mix!

Kibokun

Definitely. Watch how little they're going to care about this in GTA V.

260691-head.jpg

But they're perfectly happy slamming niche Japanese games.

I don't totally agree with you on Killer is Dead, but that is hysterical. GTA gets way too much of a pass on a lot of things, and $$$$ definitely has something to do with it.

Hystzen

I kidnapped a girl, tied her and gagged her, put her in the trunk of my car and drove around.
Where was the outrage then?

Turns out people only give a shit if their ass is covered.

Don't forget the hidden achievement in Red Dead Redemption for hogtying a girl then leaving her on a train track to be killed. It was a homage to silent films but the game still rewards the player for kidnapping and murdering a girl your wanted level is not even affected by it.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read a lot of reviews, but the biggest problem in the negative ones is the (optional) Gigolo Mode? The rest of the game is fine?

I'm short on money, so I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel my pre-order... I really liked every Grasshopper game so far, except Lollipop Chainsaw which, ironically, got the best scores. I know I could wait for the game to hit bargain prices, but then I'd miss the artbook (is it worth it?)... Argh, decisions. So many games, so little money.

MYeager

Is this for real? How come Kotaku and co. never see anything bad about this but somehow japanese games are a scapegoat?

It's like there's a difference between mocking Yoga positions that exists as part of a parody of West coast culture and a game that has the ability to look through clothes because boobs.

Domstercool

How much of the game is the Gigolo stuff? Could do without it.

Still Day 1.

3 Girls (4th is different, as she also has her own challenges, such as target practice, survival, etc.)

You'll have to do them once if you want each of the unique sub-weapons, but you can beat the game with just the main gun you get.

Objectifying? Yeah, probably. Nothing wrong with that though.

Misogynistic though? Get the fuck out with that shit. I'm so tired of people that don't know what the word means.

With you on that. People throwing that word around way to often recently.

rvy

Banned
The funny thing is that I don't even wanna give R* shit, they can do whatever the fuck they wanna do. I love them for it. God bless them and all their stuff. My beef is with "trendy-feminism journalists" that are so socially responsible with certain games and not responsible at all with others.

Kikujiro

Yeah someone tweet the GTAV pictures (along with the golf one too) and ask these journalists why they aren't outraged by them.

Wow... You make a great point there...

Is this really on the same level though? That image is implying sexual imagery through the usage of odd-looking yoga poses - not staring at someone with x-ray specs.

And if the main complaint about Gigolo mode was objectification, then that doesn't really apply to the GTA image because of the way it's being presented.

Shinta

Banned
The funny thing is that I don't even wanna give R* shit, they can do whatever the fuck they wanna do. I love them for it. God bless them and all their stuff. My beef is with "trendy-feminism journalists" that are so socially responsible with certain games and not responsible at all with others.

Exactly. It's the hypocrisy that kills me. Rockstar and Grasshopper can do whatever they want and I don't care.

Is this really on the same level though? That image is implying sexual imagery through the modicum of yoga poses - not staring at someone with x-ray specs.

Isn't that just as much of a James Bond gadget parody as Rockstar's yoga parody? What about all the rest of the shit they put in like strip clubs and prostitutes and on and on? It always gets a pass, and they focus on Japanese games instead.

Witcher has nude scenes in it and no one cares. Saboteur had topless dancers at strip clubs. Dante's Inferno had nudity. The list goes on and on. Japanese games almost never have nudity on consoles, and are pretty tame, and are still always the ones singled out.

LiK

I'm irritated that only Japanese games have been the punching bag lately.

It's like there's a difference between mocking Yoga positions that exists as part of a parody of West coast culture and a game that has the ability to look through clothes because boobs.

dawn-small.jpg

So this is also just a mockup of stripper-dances?

Come on. Both use it in a sarcastic way and everyone who played a Suda51 Game would know that.

I dont care about both issues, but thats hypocrisy.

zma1013

I'd guess that GTA gets a pass because there's a fun game distracting them from all that deplorable stuff. When you don't have that, then they speak up.

Top Bottom