• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead Reviews Thread

Cosmonaut

Is localization done by 8-4? Love those guys.

In any case, if the gameplay is as bad as reviewers say, then I hope Suda never gets to make/get involved with any more games.

I played through the Xbox 360 version of KiD and screen-tearing wasn't something that I noticed very much of. There were a couple of minor instances but it was definitely nothing drastic.

My print review will be in GamesTM magazine next month but here's my two cents in video form. I really liked the game, but I found it impossible to talk about without losing my shit a little about that horrific Matt Lees video from last month. I lose my cool at the 4m mark if that's your poison

http://youtu.be/VuuWRodHq8w

That was a fantastic review. Subscribed as well!

First GameStop I went to insisted that it wasn't out yet. Called another cross town, they had it and I just went there. Weird launch.

Great color manual. Really appreciate the extra effort. :)

Yeah, I went everywhere to get the game, BestBuy, Target, Wallmart, KMart and none of the stores had the game in stock. I called a few GameStops and finally found two copies that weren't reserved.

Just couldn't leave without one of them :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My gamestop didn't even get their Killer is Dead in today.Anyone else?
Picked up my pre-order today (guy was surprised I had a $50 off coupon from Power Up Rewards). Though for some reason, when I try to redeem the code for the DLC content on Xbox.com, it says "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

Yeah, I went everywhere to get the game, BestBuy, Target, Wallmart, KMart and none of the stores had the game in stock. I called a few GameStops and finally found two copies that weren't reserved.

When No More Heroes came out, I had to go walking in the snow to find a store that carried it IN JAPAN.

Suda is not loved.

None of my other local outlets even carried it, hence why I ended up going to GameStop. But yeah, today was about Miku and KiD. Good day.

schlew

So others are having trouble with the DLC voucher in the 360 version?

I'm told it's an invalid code. Don't think XSeed has commented on it, I have reached out to them on Twitter though.

LiK

So others are having trouble with the DLC voucher in the 360 version?

I'm told it's an invalid code. Don't think XSeed has commented on it, I have reached out to them on Twitter though.

XSEED Twitter

@XSEEDGames: [PSA] Bought KID on 360 and can't enter your DLC code? Fear not! The codes are valid, just inactive. We're working to get them up ASAP!

Dereck

I played through the Xbox 360 version of KiD and screen-tearing wasn't something that I noticed very much of. There were a couple of minor instances but it was definitely nothing drastic.

My print review will be in GamesTM magazine next month but here's my two cents in video form. I really liked the game, but I found it impossible to talk about without losing my shit a little about that horrific Matt Lees video from last month. I lose my cool at the 4m mark if that's your poison

http://youtu.be/VuuWRodHq8w
Wow

I still will get this at 20 bucks. I've like all of Suda's stuff, but reviewers are probably much harsher on the jank at the tail end of the generation.

Yuterald

Yo, check it, here's my review. Game's pretty James-quall-in'. Picked up my PS3 version and it screen tears like a motherfucker. Worst I've seen in awhile. I was barely following this game so I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked it up. I really bought it out of my undying support for XSEED and the fact that I still love quirky Japanese action game. Combat's way more interesting than I expected, digging the feel of the battles WAY more than Loli-poop Chainsaw. Game's got perfect doges/guards, all that hip, cool, boring stuff that action game fans should like so I'm all good on that front. Play the game on hard, perfect dodge/guard the first boss fight, and don't use Mika tickets to revive during the battle if you die. Feels pretty gnar-bone if ya' play it like that dawg-noses!

Damn, I'm having a good ole time with this game. The cinemtic camera work is A class. I really love Mondo's attack animations and let's not forget that sexy dash animation. Actually, the game's overall athstetic just seems, I don't know, cool. :) But yeah, the tearing gets bad, the floaty camera is a pest and the framerate is having a love affair with the sub 20s.

Anyway, back to slicing up assholes!

Edit:

THAT FIRST BOSS.

Thought about mentioning it in my post but ultimately decided to go ahead and omit it. Awesome, awesome design. :D

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wanna check the artbook out, but the contents page mentions spoilers, so I'll probably wait until I beat the game before looking at it.

At the very least, the first few missions have been better paced, similar to MNH, where as Lollipop Chainsaw just made me wonder how much longer a mission would last & probably could have had some stages split up into two separate levels.

Also HOLY CRAP, THAT FIRST BOSS.

Kade

Played a bit of it earlier and the game is cool. If you like Suda51/Grasshopper games you'll definitely like this too. Don't let reviews deter you because it's not like you became a fan of theirs because of them in the first place.

patchday

Wait- my man Suda51 made this game? I will have to check it out I think then. Gametrailers gave it a 6.7 but it appears that was only due to them not understanding the story, plot, & mature scenes.

I really loved Shadows of the Damned. Hm, tempted to get this game now

cj_iwakura

Wait- my man Suda51 made this game? I will have to check it out I think then. Gametrailers gave it a 6.7 but it appears that was only due to them not understanding the story, plot, & mature scenes.

I really loved Shadows of the Damned. Hm, tempted to get this game now

He was 'executive director', whatever that means.

These reviews do not surprise me. I'm also glad that several review point out how stupid and poorly written the game is.

I will, however, suggest that the Polygon writer who devoted a whole paragraph to detailing why the game is offensive avoid using "spastic" as a way to describe the game.

JoeFenix

Wow it sounds like Grasshoopers really put alot of effort into perfecting their UE3 screen tearing tech.

Good to see them improving on such a great feature!

Is this game atleast half as cool as Black Knight Sword?

Whoa, weird glitch! Right after a cutscene, Mondo just kept repeating his punch animation over and over with no input. You could move him around while punching but it didn't stop until I pressed triangle. I recorded it with my phone, maybe I'll upload it to YouTube or something.

Edit:

HA! You can even see the TV screen I mentioned earlier. Dat tearing.

Going by Lollipop Chainsaw I can't say I'm surprised by the reviews, that game was absolute shit...
It doesn't seem like GM are a very technically competent team.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Played a bit of it earlier and the game is cool. If you like Suda51/Grasshopper games you'll definitely like this too. Don't let reviews deter you because it's not like you became a fan of theirs because of them in the first place.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Shadows of the Damned was awesome.

Top Bottom