• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

SparkTR

I was watching a GiantBomb stream earlier and they were noting how some of the games they played at the PS4 event seemed 'framey'. Could that be related to this?

Zen

Banned
According to DF, the unlocked framerate isn't an issue at all.

Stop your bitching and embrace next gen.

If is? Didn't a Giant Bomb guy say that the game had 'more frame drops' than he was expecting? it might have been jittering. DF article link?

in what world are you missing your settings soo terribly (PC) that you are noticing a visual drop and stuttering in framerate, that you lock it to 30? Unless C3 is a one off, usually your settings do at least 30, then 30-35 depending on the load to the gpu...

But its rarely like.. 25-30 or 18-30... unless your settings are too high for your computer. Most benchmark videos/fraps captures do have variable framerates... the game runs fine usually, and super fast when theres less shit on the screen, but its not like a instant gear change while playing.

Weird.
Dark10x did the same. Max settings, smaa4x and 30 fps lock.

Perkel

Banned
Terrible, I don't need tearing in my Zone

Just lock it at 30 FPS

Tearing has 0 to do with variable framerate. Uncharted 1 was locked 30 and it teared like motherfucker. Meanwhile GOW3 had 0 tearing and was unlocked 40-60 game

They either will have Vsync, triple buffering or simply their engine is doing good work and do not produce tearing (which is often the case with engines)

GG said they would lock it at 30 FPS, but I guess they decided against it.
wL5mrHs.jpg

Thoughts? Very strange no?

Minimum FPS = 30
Max FPS = 60
With V-sync of course

Very strange. Unless they have it consistently between 45-50fps or something.

Really odd they wouldn't lock it :/

Perkel

Banned
I guess its better than locking it at 30. Because... why would they not lock it if locking it were better?

Because some people claim that smoother gameplay for most of the time with drops to minimum 30FPS is worse than playing non stop @ 30FPS.

I play PC games almost my whole life i can't simply grasp why people are so jaded over unlocked frame-rate. Especially of now most of people have minimum 60Hz tv sets and monitors that goes to 120hz. 1 frame added or not doesn't make that much of a difference in 50-60fps games and when game drops to less than 40 you have essentially ton of additional Hz to put frames as you want.

Now if you would have old 30Hz set then that would be terrible but almost no one now has 30Hz set.

Binabik15

Worked out? They added Gsync to your TV? They solved one of the core problems in gaming? Lots of unlocked games stutter or feel juddery, point in case as someone mentioned above; GoW.

So basically you want to set games at settings your PC can't handle and have them run 60?

A lot of games actually can with proper GPU hardware.

Them unlocking the framerate is actually a good thing for playability. I can imagine the decision to do so was probably because they rarely if ever dropped below 30, and because the game has a rather stable framerate in SP.

Firstof all, I'm talkng about dropsfrom 60 not constant fluctuation. There are people clamouring for locking stuff down to 30 if it ever strays even a bit, meaning they'd take always 30 fps over a game running at 60 that drops to 50 or lower when a couple of things explode or a setpiece is doing its thing. I'd rather have higher fps at 95% of the time instead of a 100% locked lower framerate.

And what is proper GPU hardware? I have a 7870 upclocked to 1050 MHz and besides maybe Shank2 all the games I played on it had drops. Even CoJ Gunslinger that runs very well most of the time. Not all of us can fit 7970s or higher in their case or budget.

hesido

I'm in the crowd that found GOW pleasing with its 40-45 fps, would have looked worse for me if they locked it down to 30. Due to the way their animations and motion blur is handled, the judder was a non-issue for many here, except for the super elite. So for GOW, this was a good decision.. BUT:

Varying framerates can be quite jarring if the changes are frequent. On GOW, the camera is controlled by the game, so sections don't *jump* between 30 to 60 in an instant.. There's gradual change in frame rate.

On Killzone, one can look at the sky and get 60fps, and start looking to the horizon and the frame rate would go down to 30fps. Unless they have a way of gradually changing the fps (which is possible if you are going upwards but impossible if you are going uncontrollably downhill in the fps side), you'll get frequent changes on the frames per second. This could be mitigated by limiting the upper frames per second based on the performance of different sections if you have profiled it well enough so you don't let your fps go above a certain threshold even when looking up, it might work..

Sum up: Unlocking frame rate can be badly distracting on an FPS, and the GOW comparisons may not necessarily apply.

commedieu

Banned
Dark10x did the same. Max settings, smaa4x and 30 fps lock.

Its safe to say that a few standouts don't make a rule.. I mean its not a pandemic in PC gaming. To paint it as a standard problematic gameplay -hampering- issue in PC gaming *unlocked framerates above, but not below 30fps* is a bit disingenuous.

meta4

Lol at ppl talking about GOW3. GOW3's perfect use of motion blur negated the judder effect. GOW3 is one of the examples of unlocked framerate done right.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why are people calling for it to be locked at 30 when it's confirmed to be running at between 35 - 40? 5 frames isn't going to be noticeable and it will probably only drop to 35fps when lots of things are going on at once. I'm happy with this. Stop complaining for the sake of it for goodness sake.

sol_bad

No, it's not okay. A variable frame-rate is hell, you either lock it at 30 or 60 and keep it there. With a variable you get this weird juddering when it goes up and down, plus increased tearing.

I have not noticed this on PC before, no idea what you are talking about.
I'm happy they have an unlocked framerate.
With all the affects they have going on it would be impossible to lock it to 60 and I'd hate them to lock it to 30 if the PS4 has enough power to use v-sync.

Firstof all, I'm talkng about dropsfrom 60 not constant fluctuation. There are people clamouring for locking stuff down to 30 if it ever strays even a bit, meaning they'd take always 30 fps over a game running at 60 that drops to 50 or lower when a couple of things explode or a setpiece is doing its thing. I'd rather have higher fps at 95% of the time instead of a 100% locked lower framerate.

And what is proper GPU hardware? I have a 7870 upclocked to 1050 MHz and besides maybe Shank2 all the games I played on it had drops. Even CoJ Gunslinger that runs very well most of the time. Not all of us can fit 7970s or higher in their case or budget.

Oh I was not talking down on your hardware, I was just saying not everyone has large fluctuations from 60! :D I probably expressed that poorly...

If you are saying you like an unlocked framerate... I am agreeing with you! That is... unless the standard variation is something like... 60 sometimes to 25 fps all of a sudden.

On Killzone, one can look at the sky and get 60fps, and start looking to the horizon and the frame rate would go down to 30fps.
I would be shocked if this was the case and they didn't lock it. Or at the very least implement some kind of solution that would avoid the noticeable judder.

Sethos

Banned

And some people can't see 60FPS, some people can't see tearing, some people can't feel input and some people can't even see a high resolution. That doesn't mean it isn't there.

hesido

Lol at ppl talking about GOW3. GOW3's perfect use of motion blur negated the judder effect. GOW3 is one of the examples of unlocked framerate done right.

Also, their animation system was decoupled from the actual frame rate, so any frame showed the correct animation position with respect to whatever point in time the frame gets to be displayed. If they "baked" animations strictly into 60hz sequences, it wouldn't look as good.

2San

I'm happy they have an unlocked framerate.
With all the affects they have going on it would be impossible to lock it to 60 and I'd hate them to lock it to 30 if the PS4 has enough power to use v-sync.
If you can't notice that, then you won't notice the diference between locked 30 fps and variable framerate. So I don't know what you are happy about. Unless you had a beastly pc(which the PS4 isn't) running vsync and where actually capped at 60fps(on a 60hz screen) or running a high framerate(60+) without extreme framedrops.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If you can't notice that, then you won't notice the diference between locked 30 fps and variable framerate. So I don't know what you are happy about. Unless you had a beastly pc running vsync and where actually capped at 60fps(on a 60hz screen).
I think 30fps looks juddery in and of itself, so locking it there kind of defeats the purpose. If you can triple buffer at a higher framerate I think you'll have a smoother play experience overall.

2San

I think 30fps looks juddery in and of itself, so locking it there kind of defeats the purpose. If you can triple buffer at a higher framerate I think you'll have a smoother play experience overall.
I disagree, I can at least get used to a solid 30fps after a while. Consistent framerate changes is always jarringx(though variable framerate around an average of 60fps is better, which I doubt is the case here).

Also the camera was locked and that helped. In kz if you look at sky you will get 60 fps and if look directly ahead, the frame rate will drop by 20 to 30 fps. Bad choice

Ocelott

I really don't understand all the whining going on...if DF said it looked stunning then it shouldn't be a problem...lets not overreact

QaaQer

I guess its better than locking it at 30. Because... why would they not lock it if locking it were better?

These guys do this for a living, so I'll believe them. Unless people here think they are lying for some weird reason and actually want to make their game worse.

Zen

Banned
The most recent footage certainly didn't look consistent, and this explains it.

I'm wondering if that's the encoding of the videos mixed with the variable framerate and it's actually much smoother in person.

These guys do this for a living, so I'll believe them. Unless people here think they are lying for some weird reason and actually want to make their game worse.

Big company with large teams can sometimes mean that 'bad' decisions happen even if only due to a lack of communication. There's no need to appeal to authority here, we've seen plenty of devs make obvious and glaring mistakes (Guerilla among them).

Let's allow the devs to make their own artistic decision. People are too quick to make demands. Have a little faith in their ability. If it turns out to be shit, then criticise, not before.

Bishop89

I dont understand the hate for unlocked framerate. Gow3 was unlocked and was super smooth. I dont recall any "stuttering" with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Oh, come on, it's simple logic. Without something like G-Sync, a framerate that is not evenly divisible by the refresh rate will produce judder as a result of duplicate frames. It's unpleasant to the eye and creates a feeling of instability. It's not a good idea.

I really hope this is triple buffered. Double buffered with vsync is unplayable.
Technically speaking, it HAS to be triple buffered. Double buffing would result in a maximum framerate of 30 fps if it could not hold 60. Triple buffering is what allows for tear free framerates between 30 and 60 but it always produces judder.

Portugeezer

For framerates in between 30 and 60? I actually prefer that if they don't fluctuate too much.

Play BF3 at locked 45fps on PC and it looks fine and plays smoother because of it.

Zen

Banned
Seriously, why do people here think they know better than the developers? They must have locked it at 30 to test?

Yeah the huge input lag and bad netcode in Killzone 2 was totally the best decision. To say nothing of the studio never doing the narrative justice, and fucking up a ton of things throughout Killzone 1-3 so far.

That's why. Guerilla isn't perfect and we've seen it time and time again. They aren't a bad dev but they are not above criticism or doubt.

I dont understand the hate for unlocked framerate. Gow3 was unlocked and was super smooth. I dont recall any "stuttering" with it.

GoW ran in the 40-60 range 99% of the time, it depends on what range SF runs in and how much it fluctuates. Big differences depending on that.

Feindflug

its fucking stupid. at least give me the option to lock it to 30 and play without the fucking stutter. same for knack.

Yeah stutter was already annoying in GoW3/Ascension in some spots and these games hadn't free camera, on a FPS it would probably be much worse.

Zen

Banned
Yes, man, please give the player the option to lock it at 30FPS. If there's no issue boo on us, but a lot of the footage shown so far has looked really framey.

Perkel

Banned

no. Motion blur has nothing to do with how screen process information. Also it wasn't camera because camera in GOW3 is rarely static and often change views (if for example QTE is used).

They simply put created game where they had framerate 40-50 FPS ALL THE TIME. No 30 fps drops always 40-50.

Yeah stutter was already annoying in GoW3/Ascension in some spots and these games hadn't free camera, on a FPS it would probably be much worse.

and now we are truly in dreamland. GOW3 was triple buffered supersmooth 40-50FPS game. No any sturrer.

QaaQer

Oh, come on, it's simple logic. Without something like G-Sync, a framerate that is not evenly divisible by the refresh rate will produce judder as a result of duplicate frames. It's unpleasant to the eye and creates a feeling of instability. It's not a good idea.

Simple intuitive logic is often wrong. One of the great things about exclusive games on standardized hardware is what devs can do with it, so what is true for PC isn't necessarily true for console. Judder can be hidden or minimized in that environment.

And again, they know the tech, they built the game, so if they say unlocked 30-60fps = better experience, then that is probably the case. On an individual level, of course, ymmv.

Top Bottom