• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall uses FXAA + TMAA

Gojeran

Seriously.... FXAA is terrible! I'll take no AA over FXAA... IMO Sharp clear textures > a few more jaggies.

You are confusing KZ:SF's Motion Blur, which is intentional, with their AA technique.

KZ:SF's AA is the best you will see on any next-gen game at launch.

Nah, Cryteks is better. SMAA is much cleaner and more comprehensive than FXAA whilst also having a temporal component.

I am not sure why devs choose FXAA as their PPAA when SMAA is just that much better. It is not as if it is super expensive or anything...

Stitch

Gold Member
The first few games with FXAA looked blurry, like FEAR 3, but I think new games look absolutely fine with it. I use it all the time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Maybe, but 1080p + [some implementations of] FXAA still looks terrible and i say this as a PC gamer who has tried FXAA @ 1440p and i can't stand it.

I look forward to DF's grabs, though.
FXAA is not good at showing off screenshots, but at 1080p at least, it looks better when playing the game than not having it. Keep in mind here they use it in combination with another AA technique, and the overall result is not typically fxaa-smudgy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I also really enjoy how people who are most likely completely oblivious to the intricacies of game development are acting like they know better than seasoned developers like Guerrilla Games.

commedieu

Banned
I also really enjoy how people who are most likely completely oblivious to the intricacies of game development are acting like they know better than seasoned developers like Guerrilla Games.

they were right about that input lag though...

Gotta love that open GPU on the PS4!

Custom AA on the metal!

ON THE METAL!!!!!

481181_300.gif

GameSeeker

Nah, Cryteks is better. SMAA is much cleaner and more comprehensive than FXAA whilst also having a temporal component.

I am not sure why devs choose FXAA as their PPAA when SMAA is just that much better. It is not as if it is super expensive or anything...

No Crytek's is not better. I agree that Ryse has excellent AA, but KZ:SF is equally good.

Go download the high quality footage that was released today and come back and say that Ryse AA looks better. You can't.

jackdoe

That footage did have the slight blur associated with FXAA. I almost wish Guerilla would give us the option to enable or disable it. I'd rather have jaggies than FXAA to be quite honest.

No Crytek's is not better. I agree that Ryse has excellent AA, but KZ:SF is equally good.

I have, but even that footage is not high quality enough to judge AA coverage beyond transparency really. You need really high quality stills or footage... which we do not have yet.

I am saying SMAA is better (and Ryse has better AA as a result) because SMAA 1x by default has better coverage than FXAA. That is a fact many PC users can attest to.

That is not even including thetemporal stuff they are doing in ryse. which is better than the afformentioned SMAA T2x

Demon Ice

Banned
I didn't notice any FXAA blur in today's high bitrate footage.

What I did notice was lack of in my face jaggies and a generally smooth image. I liked what I saw.

commedieu

Banned
There's no input lag. Calling it that is also just plain trolling at this point.

eh, they changed what people were bitching about, iirc, however that manifested, with whatever term. I didn't get KZ3. But didn't they address, whatever the issue was, with people feeling the response was druggy? I don't have a dog in this fight to troll sir.

HooYaH

I do wonder, does any developers other than Crytek use SMAA? I know its open for PC, but it's quite odd no one uses it for consoles? Fees to use it on consoles?

I really liked how PS3 devs used the Cell and MLAA on Beyond and GoW for example. Looked pretty nice, besides some shimmering.

FXAA is not good at showing off screenshots, but at 1080p at least, it looks better when playing the game than not having it. Keep in mind here they use it in combination with another AA technique, and the overall result is not typically fxaa-smudgy.

I disagree. You only have to go into the HRSS thread and the FXAA posts stick out like a sore thumb. OTOH, it's being suggested we can't go off the videos because we may confuse (lol) motion blur for FXAA.

But, as i said, i look forward to screengrabs as i believe i can glean more from them.
Here's a good article on AA types:

http://www.dahlsys.com/misc/antialias/

About TMAA:

Although that mentions MSAA still having a part to play and the GG guy said it isn't used (at all?) which is why i think TMAA here is of a temporal variety.

TMAA+SMAA=Boss.

The TMAA in that article is in all likelihood not the TMAA GG is using. He said they are not using multi-sampling.. so they are probably not multisampling their vegtation or something...

It is probably just a temporal AA.

GameSeeker

I have, but even that footage is not high quality enough to judge AA coverage beyond transparency really. You need really high quality stills or footage... which we do not have yet.

I am saying SMAA is better (and Ryse has better AA as a result) because SMAA 1x by default has better coverage than FXAA. That is a fact many PC users can attest to.

That is not even including thetemporal stuff they are doing in ryse. which is better than the afformentioned SMAA T2x

Err, I'm confused. You don't evaluate AA with stills or screen shots. You evaluate AA in motion. The KZ:SF shows their AA in motion at 60fps and jaggies are practically nonexistent.

KZ:SF is doing FXAA plus TMAA. They haven't explained TMAA yet, but it likely has a Temporal component in it. And it is doing it at 60fps.

Ryse is running at half the speed (30fps) and at much lower resolution (900p). They have to implement a higher quality AA algorithm to achieve equivalent picture quality to KZ:SF.

Kssio_Aug

Didnt know they used FXAA, but their AA technique is quite awesome! Seems much more quality than the same AA used in Battlefield 4.
Edit: Giving a second thought... Maybe its because the native resolution.

Timu

The TMAA in that article is in all likelihood not the TMAA GG is using. He said they are not using multi-sampling.. so they are probably not multisampling their vegtation or something...

Oh yeah that's true, but better that than the sight of any jaggies.

Crisium

I'd prefer SMAA, like several others said. I generally prefer no AA to FXAA. But I am unfamiliar with the combination of FXAA and TMAA so I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The KZ video / pics don't look horrible, but I still think no AA might be better.

Really, what I'd prefer is if 1080 games didn't use FXAA at all. 720, sure go for it.

This game on a technical level destroys every launch title on next-gen hardware. This is literally Sony putting their foot down and saying we have the better hardware, deal with it.

If BF4 was 1080p on PS4 you wouldn't be saying that. Good thing DICE values framerate over resolution.

Those look MUCH better than the video.

? Really?

I'd prefer SMAA, like several others said. I generally prefer no AA to FXAA. But I am unfamiliar with the combination of FXAA and TMAA so I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The KZ video / pics don't look horrible, but I still think no AA might be better.

Really, what I'd prefer is if 1080 games didn't use FXAA at all. 720, sure go for it.

Noooooo.. The High Res footage looked pretty clean actually. Not as blurry as the BF4 PS4 footage we've seen thus far.

Err, I'm confused. You don't evaluate AA with stills or screen shots. You evaluate AA in motion. The KZ:SF shows their AA in motion at 60fps and jaggies are practically nonexistent.

KZ:SF is doing FXAA plus TMAA. They haven't explained TMAA yet, but it likely has a Temporal component in it. And it is doing it at 60fps.

Ryse is running at half the speed (30fps) and at much lower resolution (900p). They have to implement a higher quality AA algorithm to achieve equivalent picture quality to KZ:SF.

That footage is NOT high quality enough to judge AA correctly. Not at all. If that video were good enough quality to judge AA, it would be multiple gigabytes. It is not.

Your statement about framerate is pretty darn irrelevant to what I am saying to be honest. The better coverage samples and smoothing will come inherently from SMAA over FXAA... in any case... no matter what: all with having little to no texture bluring (which FXAA has).

Of course Killzone is running at a higher FPS.. and I would prefer that if I were choosing games to play. But saying that has to do anything with a discussion on the cleanliness of antialiasing is silly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think some peopel are automatically assuming that FXAA causes tons of issues but at 1080p it's not deterring. I use it for many titles and it's fine. This game should look stunning on your 1080p TV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I disagree. You only have to go into the HRSS thread and the FXAA posts stick out like a sore thumb. OTOH, it's being suggested we can't go off the videos because we may confuse (lol) motion blur for FXAA
Well yes, as I said, FXAA is not so good for showing off screenshots, but in motion and at 1080p it looks better with it than without, at least IMO.

Odrion

Banned
This game on a technical level destroys every launch title on next-gen hardware. This is literally Sony putting their foot down and saying we have the better hardware, deal with it.
I think this is why they unlocked singleplayer framerate. A locked 30fps isn't enough, they want to show you it can render five or ten additional frames on top of it, motherfuckers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Probably temporal morphological AA. I always thought it was their take on SMAA (which stands for subpixel morphological AA, but also has temporal correction component) Btw, I told you those screens a week or so back can't be just FXAA :p

Teletraan1

Banned
? Really?

Noooooo.. The High Res footage looked pretty clean actually. Not as blurry as the BF4 PS4 footage we've seen thus far.

I agree that the high bit-rate stuff we got today looked blurry compared to those screens. I dislike FXAA on PC and avoid it at all costs.

Probably temporal morphological AA. I always thought it was their take on SMAA (which stands for subpixel morphological AA, but also has temporal correction component) Btw, I told you those screens a week or so back can't be just FXAA :p

Hah, that is true. ;D You did say that. I acquiesce to your superiority.

IMO, it still does just look like FXAA in a lot of ways. I would really like to see how much this TMAA (temporal) really does help (with direct comparisons: without and with).

SMAA sounds like the way to go for future titles.

That sounds too reasonable. Most nextgen titles will now use FXAA just to spite you. :D

Codeblew

Not going to look better when it gets upscaled to 1080p.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hah, that is true. ;D You did say that. I acquiesce to your superiority.

IMO, it still does just look like FXAA in a lot of ways. I would really like to see how much this TMAA (temporal) really does help (with direct comparisons: without and with).
It's probably FXAA on top of TMAA, kind of like how some games let you apply FXAA on top of MSAA. I'm curious as well what tmaa is doing exactly, but I think it's the main reason why the things like the trees and fences don't look all shimmery and why the image doesn't look overall too soft like it tends to with just fxaa. It still has some of that look on textures though, I agree, but perhaps they count that most people have some level of sharpening enabled on their TVs so it won't look that way on TVs.

Top Bottom