• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall uses FXAA + TMAA

Knack doesn't use FXAA and KZSF only uses it in MP. It uses TSSAA in SP and I think that'll be more common from here on out.

Check the sharpness on your TV. It has aliasing on high contrast edges, which is expected with pure post process AA, but for the most part it's very clean.

I don't own the game but I have played it at my brothers house since it owns it but he doesn't understand what jaggies are sp he's good to go lol. I play pc only ;) but kz sf does look good.

Atomsky

Banned
IMO, AA only made the game blurry. What this game could really use is some major fix on the level design and story flow on the single player campaign. I had to force myself thru it. :(

Knack doesn't use FXAA and KZSF only uses it in MP. It uses TSSAA in SP and I think that'll be more common from here on out.

Check the sharpness on your TV. It has aliasing on high contrast edges, which is expected with pure post process AA, but for the most part it's very clean.

TSSAA is a mix of temporal aliasing with a modifed FXAA. So it still blurs textures even in SP. Remember that GG used Quincunx with KZ2 so clearly they don't care about textures sharpness in their games. They prefer the softness given by those blurring algorithms. It's like an artistic choice and some people and devs really like this vaseline effect.

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-killzone-shadow-fall
It is still very similar to FXAA. It's not FXAA, it's a similar filter but much higher quality...We collect samples from the previous frames and try to blend that into the mix on a basis that is a derivative of FXAA. It's something that blends in a little bit of temporal math, trying to get something from previous frames.

But you are right I have no source for knack, except my own testimony and others who found the game blurry compared to AC4 for instance.

And morphological aliasing specifically detect and smooth high contrasted long aliased edges, ignoring high resolution textures sub-details contrary to FXAA which removes every contrasted sub-pixels, textures included.

Top Bottom