• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Young Generation of Nintendo Developers to Lead Forefront of NX and Mobile

Nintendo will never internally develop a game like that, it would be like Pixar making a Rambo movie. Hopefully what we will see is more games like Eternal Darkness and Bayonetta 2, where they work with an external studio on more adult titles.

Damn right they should be. The sorts of software they were getting the likes of Rare to create in the N64 days is what they need right now. Sure, the N64 was killed by PS1, but it did better than the Wii U is doing, partly down to actually having a thematically and tonally diverse lineup.

It's one thing to want more story in games, but when you say writing as good as TLoU to me this implies a huge change in tone from Nintendo games and I find that unacceptable.

If Nintendo did cutscenes, writing and story then it looks something like Kid Icarus Uprising and The Wonderful 101, which is high quality and I'm OK with that style but it doesn't help to bring in new audiences.

So if you're admitting it doesn't help to bring in new audiences, something Nintendo desperately needs right now, why is it unacceptable? I mean, TLoU was literally just an example, I just don't see why Nintendo can't also make games with more mature themes and a stronger emphasis on story. I'd love to see it.

Shion

Based on his work, as well as his interviews over the years, I'm very glad that Nintendo is giving Koizumi more power at the company. I like his views on gaming and, frankly, he's probably Nintendo's most talented creator in the post-Miyamoto/Tezuka/Sakamoto era. Plus, he loves the GOAT named Zelda II lol. The only downside is that his influence will probably be somewhat limited, since the Tokyo office hasn't really expanded much over the years and it's still very small compared to the Kyoto office. So, it seems that Eguchi is the real king at EPD right now.

As for Miyamoto, I have an enormous respect for his work in the 80s and 90s. The man wasn't just great, he was a pioneer and his work as a game designer is part of the reason why I became a gaming enthusiast. But I'd be lying if I said that his current modus operandi resonates with me. More importantly, though, I think that, while he used to be an amazing designer, he was less than competent in his role as a general manager. As much I respect his old work, I hope that his departure will lead to changes in Nintendo's software (and no, I don't care for cut-scenes and cinematic games).

• I'd like to see more high-profile projects from Nintendo. Meatier, single player, experiences that introduce new fictional universes to explore. In other words, fewer mini-game collections, party games and simple pick & play stuff, more IPs in the vein of Zelda and Metroid.

• More variety. Ever since the GameCube era, Nintendo's designers have narrowed their focus exclusively on overly cutesy stuff for the kids/family market. This was a very disappointing change for me because, frankly, outside of Mario and Donkey Kong, most of my favorite Nintendo IPs didn't follow that route, I preferred stuff like classic Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and Wave Race. I really hope Nintendo's designers will get to make more IPs like these again.

• Hopefully, Nintendo will now stop putting so much emphasis on input gimmicks and quirky gameplay "twists" in their games. Nintendo's output was at its best when the selling point of their games came though actual game design and presentation. That's where I'd like to see them focusing again.

• Fewer games with a Mario paint-job.

• Less handholding

• Lastly, I really hope that, unlike Miyamoto, Koizumi and Eguchi aren't going to blame everything on "difficulty" and "complexity". Games like Minecraft, Elder Scrolls and League of Legends are much more demanding and complex than what Nintendo makes these days and, yet, they are played by tens of millions of people around the world. When a game underperforms, there are lots of other factors that come into play than just "difficulty" and "complexity".

Miyamoto has great ideas, no one can dispute that, but restricting Nintendo's whole development effort strictly toward his guidelines at expense of creativity freedom and variety wasn't really a good decision. It's okay if he has his own visions, wants be different from everyone else and go after it, but not really at expense of different approaches than his.

Spot on.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Based on his work, as well as his interviews over the years, I'm very glad that Nintendo is giving Koizumi more power at the company. I like his views on gaming and, frankly, he's probably Nintendo's most talented creator in the post-Miyamoto/Tezuka/Sakamoto era. Plus, he loves the GOAT named Zelda II lol. The only downside is that his influence will probably be somewhat limited, since the Tokyo office hasn't really expanded much over the years and it's still very small compared to the Kyoto office. So, it seems that Eguchi is the real king at EPD right now.

Well it's just the lead development teams that are mainly separated per Producer and group. The larger production staff is going to be shared between the two offices. Nintendo has also caught on to the rest of Japan in finding discreet graphic assistant companies to fill out the production teams.

As for Miyamoto, I have an enormous respect for his work in the 80s and 90s. The man wasn't just great, he was a pioneer and his work as a game designer is part of the reason why I became a gaming enthusiast. But I'd be lying if I said that his current modus operandi resonates with me. More importantly, though, I think that, while he used to be an amazing designer, he was less than competent in his role as a general manager. As much I respect his old work, I hope that his departure will lead to changes in Nintendo's software (and no, I don't care for cut-scenes and cinematic games).

My main criticism is I don't think Miyamoto should have ever run the majority of internal game development. If Nintendo back in the 80s didn't have Yokoi and Takeda green-lighting games as well, we would never have had Punch-Out, Metroid, Detective Club, StarTropics, etc. I think a collective of men who don't entirely have the same style, is better for the overall coordination of internally developed software.

Jubenhimer

I'd like to see more high-profile projects from Nintendo. Meatier, single player, experiences that introduce new fictional universes to explore. In other words, fewer mini-game collections, party games and simple pick & play stuff, more IPs in the vein of Zelda and Metroid.
What's wrong with pick-up-and-play? If anything, we need MORE pick up and play games these days. I'd hate to see games Rhythm Heaven go away or banished to mobile.

• More variety. Ever since the GameCube era, Nintendo's designers have narrowed their focus exclusively on overly cutesy stuff for the kids/family market. This was a very disappointing change for me because, frankly, outside of Mario and Donkey Kong, most of my favorite Nintendo IPs didn't follow that route, I preferred stuff like classic Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero and Wave Race. I really hope Nintendo's designers will get to make more IPs like these again.

Variety is nice, but why not mix the two philosophies?

• Hopefully, Nintendo will now stop putting so much emphasis on input gimmicks and quirky gameplay "twists" in their games. Nintendo's output was at its best when the selling point of their games came though actual game design and presentation. That's where I'd like to see them focusing again.

Hardware innovation is just as important as software innovation.

• Lastly, I really hope that, unlike Miyamoto, Koizumi and Eguchi aren't going to blame everything on "difficulty" and "complexity". Games like Minecraft, Elder Scrolls and League of Legends are much more demanding and complex than what Nintendo makes these days and, yet, they are played by tens of millions of people around the world. When a game underperforms, there are lots of other factors that come into play than just "difficulty" and "complexity".

But what if a game becomes too complex for it's own good? Nintendo has ALWAYS thrived on simplicity. It's part of their design culture, and their at their best when they focus on that. I understand you want Nintendo to be just like everyone else, but while they can take some more modern inspiration, they can't just toss out who they are because you don't like it.

Carnt wait to see all the Nintendo is doomed people eating lots of Crow when the new innovative games arrive! New fresher blood with great new ideas! Coupled with the experience of Miyamoto and other older wiser and exp mentoring people = huge success.

Kimi knows exactly what he is doing!

BBTC

TheMoon

Carnt wait to see all the Nintendo is doomed people eating lots of Crow when the new innovative games arrive! New fresher blood with great new ideas! Coupled with the experience of Miyamoto and other older wiser and exp mentoring people = huge success.

BBTC

Kimishima is just continuing Iwata's plans for now...

All of this has been in the making for years. And you should maybe temper your hyperbole until we see actual fruits of this :)

Why should I temper anything i liked most of what's on wii u. The quality of games was a class! But like sometimes you have to be selective.

I bought most titles so if they have that quality and a new innovation I will be day one so No I am excited and won't lose that.

I have faith in Nintendo.

You have to understand that I used to be totally PlayStation one time but nintendo impressed me. I only have had wii u since Mario kart 8 but it's cool as i have had more fun in that time playing online and local co op than I had in PlayStation 2 or 3.
Nintendo's gameplay is in another level.

They showed what they could do with wii u Zelda and now pokemon go gives an idea what could be coming next

BBTC

BBTC

Preach!

Pokemon GO, Splatoon, Zelda BOTW, a "new kind of Mario" on the way...

I am SHOOK. Sony and Microsoft should be SHOOK too! SLAYTENDO gonna snatch all our weaves

- JollyJoe

NEO0MJ

Great bump!

----------------------------------------------
-Neo0MJ

sephiroth_banner_by_xer0ne.jpg

I have alot of respect for Miyamoto, but I'm glad he won't be calling the shots anymore.
The constant need for gimmicks and simplifying gameplay and story needs to go away.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nintendo needs more splatoon and less star fox zero.

This is great news

Miyamotos inability to think of ways on how to innovate with starfox and bring it to modern standards other than input gimmicks reflects the worst parts of Nintendo's approach to gaming.

Splatoon represents the best. An innovative, pure fun game with beautiful colorful graphics, amazing gameplay, and modern online 8implementation

ffdgh

This is great news

Miyamotos inability to think of ways on how to innovate with starfox and bring it to modern standards other than input gimmicks reflects the worst parts of Nintendo's approach to gaming.

Splatoon represents the best. An innovative, pure fun game with beautiful colorful graphics, amazing gameplay, and modern online 8implementation

Would have liked to see what sakurai would have done with starfox if he chose it over kid icarus. Love those flight sections.

---
Always a pleasure.

I have alot of respect for Miyamoto, but I'm glad he won't be calling the shots anymore.
The constant need for gimmicks and simplifying gameplay and story needs to go away.

Isn't it the opposite?
Star Fox - people couldn't figure out the controls
Sticker Star - people couldn't figure out the puzzles

I'll give you story. Though, I'd say it's more about setting than story.

Gimmicks is relative. While Nintendo did go overboard sometimes, some great games came out of touchscreen, gyro, motion and pointer controls.

Banned
Let's hope the NX games take more risks with the established IP. No more playing it safe. Breath of the Wild is a good start. I hope the new 3D Mario, Metroid and Donkey Kong try some new things. The Wii U was very conservative and "safe" with the first party content and how many of them were just the first HD versions of games we've been playing for a decade or more already.

There are exceptions of course.

TheMoon

Hopefully, they're not too much into twitch FPS and covershooters. >.>

Funny you should say that because that's what the guys who brought us Splatoon played and in turn got inspired by to make the best shooter of this decade. :D

Why should I temper anything i liked most of what's on wii u. The quality of games was a class! But like sometimes you have to be selective.

I bought most titles so if they have that quality and a new innovation I will be day one so No I am excited and won't lose that.

I have faith in Nintendo.

You have to understand that I used to be totally PlayStation one time but nintendo impressed me. I only have had wii u since Mario kart 8 but it's cool as i have had more fun in that time playing online and local co op than I had in PlayStation 2 or 3.
Nintendo's gameplay is in another level.

They showed what they could do with wii u Zelda and now pokemon go gives an idea what could be coming next

Sure, you were just laying it on a little thick there in that post. :) I pretty much feel the same way but I don't really parade it around like that which might rub some the wrong way. :)

They need more of both because both are excellent games. :)

Tbh the moon, this is a discussion board and surely I am not breaking any rules showing excitement and enthuiasim for a new format that Imo: will be a fantastic new entry for Nintendo and one I cannot wait to see revealed.

As I have said if quality is as good or better than wii u first party aaa games I will be sat one for purchase.

Bbtc

Top Bottom