• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Young Generation of Nintendo Developers to Lead Forefront of NX and Mobile

Neoxon

Most definitely.

Even the Kimishima praise that's resulting from this, as if it's not obvious that they didn't think up of all of this stuff in the last month and all of this has been conceptualized under Iwata and has been in the works for a long time. It's just sad that it's only now starting to bear fruit and he couldn't really see it through to the end himself.
That's what I was thinking. We knew that Iwata put a shit-ton of new stuff in place for the future before he died. This is likely one of those things.

Im sure all the "old guard" at Nintendo have been cultivating talent for YEARs already

Its just nice to see that they are finally putting this talent in charge

Its very exciting for all involved! I imagine Miyamoto himself is ecstatic to see what the young uns come up with

TheMoon

That's what I was thinking. We knew that Iwata put a shit-ton of new stuff in place for the future before he died. This is likely one of those things.

Bit of a random note but about the young developers stepping to the forefront now, I just got reminded of this when I beat my remaining unfinished Twilight Princess Wii save on Sunday and watched the credits. Tsubasa Sakaguchi did character design in that game. Last year he was one of the faces of Splatoon as co-director. Aya Kyogoku was one of two writers for Twilight Princess, these days she's running the Animal Crossing series. That's why I love checking these credits so much, it's fun following these people and seeing them take on new roles.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
he and kondo knocked sense into the ead tokyo guys who were making super mario galaxy a baby game for babies, and had them make a cooler and more difficult game. then for its sequel, got the extra shit out of the way for what is basically the best 3d platformer (or at least, tied with mirror's edge).

Correction on this, EAD Tokyo was pressured to make Super Mario Galaxy easier after criticism that Super Mario Sunshine failed to meet sales expectation because it was too complex and difficult. At some point in development Miyamoto basically said okay you guys can make it a little more difficult by doing this. If anything, management was attempting to correct a guideline given to the development team. Whether you idolize or demonize Miyamoto for his overlord position of software development that past 20 years or so, it’s evident to at least recognize a fundamental disconnect between a 60+ year old man and contemporary game design. But I don’t think it was ever a good idea to have all or even the majority of software development to adhere to Miyamoto’s ethos or guidelines. A variety of ideas would only benefit the company.

Correction on this, EAD Tokyo was pressured to make Super Mario Galaxy easier after criticism that Super Mario Sunshine failed to meet sales expectation because it was too complex and difficult. At some point in development Miyamoto basically said okay you guys can make it a little more difficult by doing this. If anything, management was attempting to correct a guideline given to the development team. Whether you idolize or demonize Miyamoto for his overlord position of software development that past 20 years or so, it’s evident to at least recognize a fundamental disconnect between a 60+ year old man and contemporary game design. But I don’t think it was ever a good idea to have all or even the majority of software development to adhere to Miyamoto’s ethos or guidelines. A variety of ideas would only benefit the company.

I agree with this fundamentally, though I will say that critically, Nintendo games crafted with the hand of Miyamoto are almost always strictly better. Good game design has been forgotten in favor of profit in all aspects of this industry.

Ridley327

Bit of a random note but about the young developers stepping to the forefront now, I just got reminded of this when I beat my remaining unfinished Twilight Princess Wii save on Sunday and watched the credits. Tsubasa Sakaguchi did character design in that game. Last year he was one of the faces of Splatoon as co-director. Aya Kyogoku was one of two writers for Twilight Princess, these days she's running the Animal Crossing series. That's why I love checking these credits so much, it's fun following these people and seeing them take on new roles.

That's why I don't really think it's really all that beneficial to start naming the SPD studios individually, since staff moves around so often between projects. It's a very different situation from the likes of their external studios like Monolith Soft and Retro.

People have tried to do the same thing with Japan Studio for Sony, only to find out that it works the same. There's really no Team Ico or Team Siren in a strict sense.

Anth0ny

but he's the guy who turned twilight princess from an overambitious possible disaster into the best 3d zelda.

rbO8gIr.gif

he and kondo knocked sense into the ead tokyo guys who were making super mario galaxy a baby game for babies, and had them make a cooler and more difficult game.

This I never heard. What's the story here? Miyamoto made a game LESS for babies? Dumbing down games for the idiot masses seems to be his gimmick over the last 10 years. He did it with Twilight Princess.

then he did it again for paper mario, a game sorely needing that sort of direction for a handheld release, especially after super paper mario (which was notable at the time for being the biggest single waste of potential in the company's 100+ year history).

rbO8gIr.gif

F-Zero, Metroid? Bwahaha, please. Don't be delusional, they are basically dead. You'll get Federation Force and clones like Fast Racing Neo at best.

MoonFrog

All this talk of maps, and yes Nintendo has been disappointing in this regard lately. That said, they've been getting better. SM3DW is better than SM3DL and SMG2 in this regard. I would love if they did a 2D style map of the quality of SMW again, though. The modern world maps are highly functional with little artistic cohesion. Nintendo has definitely been trending that way, pleasant art but limited vision with good fundamentals. I want good fundamentals and strong centralized vision again.

AdanVC

So looking forward to this new Nintendo with Kimishima in front. He seems to get it and hope we can start seeing those changes soon. Like rlly rlly soon.

TheMoon

All this talk of maps, and yes Nintendo has been disappointing in this regard lately. That said, they've been getting better. SM3DW is better than SM3DL and SMG2 in this regard. I would love if they did a 2D style map of the quality of SMW again, though. The modern world maps are highly functional with little artistic cohesion. Nintendo has definitely been trending that way, pleasant art but limited vision with good fundamentals. I want good fundamentals and strong centralized vision again.

You really should play NSMBU. They did the exact thing you want there already.

dqtab6.gif

So looking forward to this new Nintendo with Kimishima in front. He seems to get it and hope we can start seeing those changes soon. Like rlly rlly soon.

You seem to misread this as "Kimishima's Nintendo" when this is still "Iwata's Nintendo as performend by Kimishima." Iwata already "got it" and the results of that is what you're seeing now.

Neoxon

To be fair, most of these changes were likely put into motion by Iwata before he died. Kimishima is probably just carrying out Iwata's wishes (& maybe doing a few things of his own along the way).

best NX news so far. Honestly, after Splatoon it is more than clear that the "new" guys are more than ready to introduce us to a whole new, yet familiar Nintendo library.

It's been obvious for quite some time that Miyamoto and Co have been grooming their successors and from the looks of it, this is the best time to pass the torch.

And since Nintendo designs their hardware in conjunction with their game design, this means we're going to be seeing a new direction for hardware as well.

It's weird that "younger" developers have taken over, actually means that some mid-forties to fifty years old guys are now running the company, because that's what's happening: Koizumi, Eguchi and the rest are not what you would call young, at all.

These guys will also have to start looking for successors in 5-10 years, and I'm wondering what the new guard at Nintendo actually is. It seems like Splatoon came to be from a generation of developers under these guys, but again, not sure what their actual age is - new blood comes from the 20something people, not from 40 year olds.

MoonFrog

You really should play NSMBU. They did the exact thing you want there already.

dqtab6.gif
I did play NSMBU. I enjoyed that game a lot; it is part of what I meant when I was saying Nintendo was moving back towards a world map I want.

That said, SMW's map felt organic and like it was a cohesive world despite having forest world, cave world, cookie world, etc. That feeling is still missing from SM3DW and NSMBU.

I want things like the bridge and waterfall levels again, which were both clever levels and made sense on the world map. U and 3D world presented the artifice of their world in a detailed and connected way that failed to obscure the artifice to me.

Strange gripe perhaps, but I've always had a "thing" for beautiful maps in games and real life as well as the various imaginary worlds I drew as a child :p.

Ninjimbo

Hub world doesnt get in any of your way. Its not an open world we're talking about. If you thought 64's castle was getting on your way, you must be really impatient.
I'm not impatient. I just prefer clicking on a map and starting a level right away instead of running up a set of stairs, jumping into a pipe, to get inside a room to jump into a painting before I get to start a level.

One way is faster than another. What I like about Mario games are the controls and the platforming and those parts shine in the main levels. Put me there right away, please.

AniHawk

This I never heard. What's the story here? Miyamoto made a game LESS for babies? Dumbing down games for the idiot masses seems to be his gimmick over the last 10 years. He did it with Twilight Princess.

yep. miyamoto and kondo saved the game from being even more of a baby game for babies.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/super_mario_galaxy/0/0

Shimizu: By the way, Iwata-san, ever since the DS and Wii were released, you keep mentioning how to make games that can be enjoyed by anyone, from the age of 5 to 95. Hearing that, we really put in the extra effort to make Super Mario Galaxy a game that could be enjoyed by anyone as well, from the age of 5 to 95.

Koizumi: In order to make the game so that anyone can play it, we made it very easy to adjust during the early stages of development. However, when Miyamoto-san tried that version out, he said that it was too easy, and it lacked intensity.

Iwata: I hear a lot from him about how a game must not lose the excitement when you make it easy, and that a game needs to be easy, yet be intense at the same time. This actually lead to what we talked about earlier, about how we put a limit on how often you could spin.

Yokota: When the track was rejected, the words that Kondo-san had said really stuck with me. Those words were "Yokota-san, if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it."

Iwata: I see.

Yokota: When I heard that, I realized that I had always had this image that Mario was a character for kids, and without realizing it, I had been composing "cute" music that I thought would appeal to children. I asked Kondo-san at the time, "Then what kind of music would work with Mario?" He replied that "Mario is cool".

he took the criticism of nsmbds being a baby game for babies to heart

http://www.mtvu.com/on-campus/video...s-you-to-know-about-new-super-mario-bros-wii/

“I remember at the roundtable at E3 this year, somebody asked, “Is New Super Mario Bros. Wii going to be as easy as Super Mario Bros. was on DS?” But I think what we’ve created this time is in fact pretty difficult.”

and then by the time he had his hands all over super mario galaxy 2

http://www.1up.com/news/super-mario-galaxy-2-challenging

Well, as far as the challenge of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is concerned, I think it's going to be a really challenging game

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I hope old dinosaurs in Nintendo, like Miyamoto, let young developers make the games they want the way they want, without conditioning anything at all. This news are great news for me. I'm getting more thirsty for the NX official announcement.

Grandpa Miyamoto created great games many years ago. I love Mario platforming games, Zelda is a great IP, and there are many more games to talk about. But unfortunately, he didn't do nothing good after Pikmin.

The rest are mediocre and forgettable games. There we have Wii Music (we will never forget that E3). Too much obsession for motion controls. The gamepad is practically useless, they don't even know how to justify it, and it's used in many games as obligatory for useless stuff. Ironically Pikmin 3 works better with motion controls than the gamepad. And Starfox Zero is having huge problems with controls. And remember Project Robot and Project Guard? Nobody gave a shit for those games after they were shown to the public.

Mr Miyamoto did great games, but his time is over. It's time for retirement before making everything worse than it is. Let young people do their best.
Classic agism at its finest

I'm optimistic at all this, but I guess the question is what happens besides Iwata's last directions. Kimishima seems cool, but only time will tell where else Nintendo heads...

I did play NSMBU. I enjoyed that game a lot; it is part of what I meant when I was saying Nintendo was moving back towards a world map I want.

That said, SMW's map felt organic and like it was a cohesive world despite having forest world, cave world, cookie world, etc. That feeling is still missing from SM3DW and NSMBU.

I want things like the bridge and waterfall levels again, which were both clever levels and made sense on the world map. U and 3D world presented the artifice of their world in a detailed and connected way that failed to obscure the artifice to me.

Strange gripe perhaps, but I've always had a "thing" for beautiful maps in games and real life as well as the various imaginary worlds I drew as a child :p.

Not strange at all. I feel the same way. Super Mario World's map has yet to be topped. It's so much more than just a bunch of different zones stitched together.

It's weird that "younger" developers have taken over, actually means that some mid-forties to fifty years old guys are now running the company, because that's what's happening: Koizumi, Eguchi and the rest are not what you would call young, at all.

These guys will also have to start looking for successors in 5-10 years, and I'm wondering what the new guard at Nintendo actually is. It seems like Splatoon came to be from a generation of developers under these guys, but again, not sure what their actual age is - new blood comes from the 20something people, not from 40 year olds.

The regard is not the direct staff that help create the games, which is what the young proteges heading Splatoon were, but that now relatively newer heads who once worked under Miyamoto are now calling the shots with their own viewpoints on what can be games under Nintendo's repertoire.

jblank83

Miyamoto is more a manager of managers, or he was before he stepped aside as GM. He wasn't tinkering with games and making them shitty. Once in awhile he stepped in with advice and that's it.

If the Paper Mario Sticker Star team made a shitty game, that's on them.

The entire reason he wanted to step aside was so he could go back to actually making his own games.

Diffense

I did that too! Drew top down maps of imaginary islands. Now I don't feel so weird lol

Anyway, I was reading the OoT 3D Iwata Asks the other day and it was interesting to hear about the way the developers worked and the influence of Miyamoto. It's certain that he's greatly influence all the younger developers' approaches to game making even if they also have their own styles.

I don't really have any expectations but it's inevitable that new people will eventually be promoted into roles previously held by Miyamoto, Takeda, Tezuka etc. All I want are great games!

You know, a console that has a strong second screen experience using mobile, and can even be taken around with your phone, sounds super cool to me.

But I don’t think it was ever a good idea to have all or even the majority of software development to adhere to Miyamoto’s ethos or guidelines. A variety of ideas would only benefit the company.

Indeed. Miyamoto was interfering way too much on the whole company's creative freedom and forcing everyone to go according to this beliefs. This was negative because variety was severely backed down with this direction. Miyamoto was advocating against many things there were more and more becoming a standard on the gaming industry like story driven games, T-M rated titles, online play, hardware power and even deep, core based gameplay. Second-parties and publishing partners complained about Miyamoto's interference in the N64 days, like Rare, DMA Design and the original Retro Studios. Also, internal studios, like Brownie Brown, were gutted under his management to become mostly development partners and work on spinoffs and small projects. He also failed to proper expand Nintendo's internal teams, as they weren't able, since the GCN days, to proper support both platforms at once, as he relied too heavily on small teams.

Basically, he wanted to have an autocratic rule over the company, which in fact he did. I hope with this new direction, they let everyone to work more freely and try new stuff. Splatoon was a good start.

Indeed. Miyamoto was interfering way too much on the whole company's creative freedom and forcing everyone to go according to this beliefs. This was negative because variety was severely backed down with this direction. Miyamoto was advocating against many things there were more and more becoming a standard on the gaming industry like story driven games, T-M rated titles, online play, hardware power and even deep, core based gameplay. Second-parties and publishing partners complained about Miyamoto's interference in the N64 days, like Rare, DMA Design and the original Retro Studios. Also, internal studios, like Brownie Brown, were gutted under his management to become mostly development partners and work on spinoffs and small projects. He also failed to proper expand Nintendo's internal teams, as they weren't able, since the GCN days, to proper support both platforms at once, as he relied too heavily on small teams.

Basically, he wanted to have an autocratic rule over the company, which in fact he did. I hope with this new direction, they let everyone to work more freely and try new stuff. Splatoon was a good start.

You write all of this as fact, when actually, you've put together what few tenuous anecdotal accounts exist and presented them as gospel truth as to what Miyamoto "wants".

You write all of this as fact, when actually, you've put together what few tenuous anecdotal accounts exist and presented them as gospel truth as to what Miyamoto "wants".

People do that all the time with various big names and drop them to make it like they know how shit works behind the scenes and who does what, when they don't.

Would be cool if they managed to get Sakurai to work at EAD (or whatever it's called now).
Just give him lots of money to make a game he wants to make. Don't lose him to the competition

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think Miyamoto should focus on creating any game he wants, and the newer generation focusing on the hardware and bringing Nintendo into a new generation. This is exciting news, and I can't wait for the NX. There's nothing quite like a Nintendo game so I wish them a huge success with the NX.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For Nintendo this is probably a good move financially, but I personally dont really like it at all. Today, Nintendo is the last of its kind, making a certain type of games with very retro-sensibilities, and I dont want them to change from that. With new leadership, they can keep creating those games, but there is also the risk that they go more in the same direction as the rest of the industry, which would make Nintendo less unique, and frankly, less interesting imo.

Vibranium

Banned
For Nintendo this is probably a good move financially, but I personally dont really like it at all. Today, Nintendo is the last of its kind, making a certain type of games with very retro-sensibilities, and I dont want them to change from that. With new leadership, they can keep creating those games, but there is also the risk that they go more in the same direction as the rest of the industry, which would make Nintendo less unique, and frankly, less interesting imo.

But at the same time, the young talent might want to bring back dead Nintendo IPs like F-Zero.

Newer Nintendo devs also made Splatoon, which was a huge hit.

Banned

Yes because the older Nintendo employees haven't passed on their ways of thinking and game development all this years. You're a product of your environment and when you're working around guys like Miyamoto, Koizumi, Aonuma, etc you know what Nintendo is all about (tight controls, fun, colorful, framerate is king, etc.)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Their philosophy behind game design is probably the same as the older generation but the newer generation HOPEFULLY understands the need for Nintendo systems to be comparable/competable with the top competition (things like universal account systems, good online infrastructures, etc.). This is the type of thing the older generation has not understood within Nintendo.

Pif

Banned
Watch as a shitload of 2D platformers based on the same old IPs will flood the console anyways. Metroid? Lol. F-zero? More like F-Nope. New interesting IP like eternal darkness? Here take this sidescrolling yoshi. We didn't make any of these in the past 5 minutes.

Top Bottom