• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Sports Rivals seemingly delayed to Spring 2014

It's pretty incredible really. All the games at launch probably have some type of Kinect feature, but why they'd launch without a Kinect exclusive game is beyond my realm of thinking. I'm still getting it at launch because I think the games look great (plus I have a shitload of MS points/cash from the 1200 points for $5 thing back when). MS seriously needs to show something very impressive from Kinect that will be available at launch now.
Then they will blame MS for doing more than 1 Kinect games

alterno69

Banned
All this talk about Kinect and how awesome it is because of voice commands. Am i missing someing here? Didn't SOCOM on the PS2 support voice commands? Isn't a mic all that is needed to use voice commands in games? If voice commands are the best feature in your camera i think there might be a problem there.

VanWinkle

It's pretty incredible really. All the games at launch probably have some type of Kinect feature, but why they'd launch without a Kinect exclusive game is beyond my realm of thinking. I'm still getting it at launch because I think the games look great (plus I have a shitload of MS points/cash from the 1200 points for $5 thing back when). MS seriously needs to show something very impressive from Kinect that will be available at launch now.

Although it's more forgivable, Sony also should have had a game lined up for launch that makes use of Move/PS4Eye. Hopefully they'll make The Playroom more substantial. That would help. But they should've had a new Sports Champions or something.

Haha that is amazing, now they literally have no Kinect tentpole games for launch.

How can they convince consumers to spend the outrageo the thing costs and then don't even have games to support it? What, for fucking voice integration and comically gimmicky "Kinect enhanced" features? Shoulda went with a headset then and saved everyone lol

maybe it's a strategic move?
/sarcasm (in case people took it seriously)

bronzeP

Banned
Sports games, adventure games or childish games are not the Kinect Only titles I want to see.

Give me some Horror games which fully utilize Kinect in some way to show that also a Kinect Title can appeal to core gamers.

KAL2006

Banned
6 Months behind rumour is likely true

They moneyhated Capcom for Dead Rising (likely was a 360/PS3 game before) to make their line up seem bigger, this game was pretty far in development so it was a good moneyhat as it would be ready for launch

Of course TitanFall was money hated for time exclusive (a year according to CBoat)

Killer Instinct was farmed out to Double Helix who are experienced devs who can work with time constraint to churn out movie licensed games.

Kinect Sports Rivals delayed, seriously what the fuck is RARE upto, they ain't making Killer Instinct yet they can't release a Kinect game in time

Forza is making it for launch but will have day 1 free DLC, obviosly they didn't have time to add everthing before going Gold.

Ryse has completely changed from a Kinect game (so much for having confidence in Kinect for a system where it integral) to a shitty quick time event game with bvoice commands.

Quantum Break, no sign of gameplay for this game

Sunset Overdrive, same as above

Halo, same as above

Black Tusk shooter, same as above, why even show this it seems like MS was desperate and blew their load of announcing games

I think that rumour before of MS being 6 months behind, and moneyhating due to concerns is actually true.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ok. Now Microsoft really has to show a bunch of Kinect-based games.

It makes absolutely NO SENSE to put the Kinect in bundle with every console and then do not provide enough reasons for this, except for Skype chatting and "Xbox go home!".
There is the Harmonix Fantasia game, isn't it a launch title? Just Dance will be there (but on cheaper platforms as well).

They moneyhated Capcom for Dead Rising (likely was a 360/PS3 game before) to make their line up seem bigger, this game was pretty far in development so it was a good moneyhat as it would be ready for launch

Of course TitanFall was money hated for time exclusive (a year according to CBoat)

Killer Instinct was farmed out to Double Helix who are experienced devs who can work with time constraint to churn out movie licensed games.

Kinect Sports Rivals delayed, seriously what the fuck is RARE upto, they ain't making Killer Instinct yet they can't release a Kinect game in time

Forza is making it for launch but will have day 1 free DLC, obviosly they didn't have time to add everthing before going Gold.

Ryse has completely changed from a Kinect game (so much for having confidence in Kinect for a system where it integral) to a shitty quick time event game with bvoice commands.

Halo, same as above

Black Tusk shooter, same as above, why even show this it seems like MS was desperate and blew their load of announcing games

I think that rumour before of MS being 6 months behind, and moneyhating due to concerns is actually true.

Nah... their games are no more behind than what Sony showed. I think Kinect 2.0 games are the ones that are really behind.

Raymo

Are people really upset about the delay of a Kinect game?

I could understand if this was Forza 5 or Dead Rising 3, but this?

People are upset that Microsoft is including the Kinect with the console for $100 extra without even having a game that justifies it.

oVerde

Banned

Halo, same as above

lol'd, seriously, jk post right?

Satchel

Banned
Wait, so they didn't delay Forza, which will now come on an incomplete disc as a result, but they delay Kinect Sports, which most people don't care about anyway?

Jesus Christ.

Are people really upset about the delay of a Kinect game?

I could understand if this was Forza 5 or Dead Rising 3, but this?

But what's the point of bundling Kinect, though? I'll enjoy it for the other features, but why bundle it in this case? If you're going to include it in every box, at least release it with a game that takes full advantage of it. MS will have some tough questions to answer, soon, and they need to deliver with Kinect at Gamescom for sure, now.

B.O.O.M

Well, I guess this one HAS to be a real showcase of what the new Kinect can do. They simply can't frak-up this.

Yeah I understand your point but this is KS2! :S How complex of a game can it be really? Maybe they have some other launch kinect titles

Oh for sure. It's all speculation at this point. Based on E3, though, MS had more to show. Maybe Sony didn't show more because they just needed 399/Used Games etc...

Should be a good show.

Basically what happened was Sony won E3 even when they played it safe. They have so many titles yet to be revealed..

They have so many titles yet to be revealed..

I'll believe this when I see it. They announced numbers like 20 in the first year instead of showing games. After spending forever on indie games I couldn't care less about in the E3 conference, it makes me wonder if most of those 20 titles will be PSN style games or something. Waiting for Gamescom/TGS to make a call on that for sure.

Bsigg12

Are there any confirmed releases for any other game in March? Maybe Microsoft is sliding it into a dry spell to try and break up a lack of releases?

Xbox is a multi platform box anyway. So if you want your launch carried by those titles, so be it.

If you are truly 6 months behind, fine. Things Break. But just be ready come April/May.

Half-ass Xbox controller.
Half-ass Xbox 360 initial design.
Potential half-ass on X1 pricing and/or launch game development.

At some point, you gotta get it together.

I'll believe this when I see it. They announced numbers like 20 in the first year instead of showing games. After spending forever on indie games I couldn't care less about in the E3 conference, it makes me wonder if most of those 20 titles will be PSN style games or something. Waiting for Gamescom/TGS to make a call on that for sure.
That was Sony who said 20 exclusives year one.

MS said 15 exclusives and we've seen something like 12 or 13 of them.

Alx

All this talk about Kinect and how awesome it is because of voice commands. Am i missing someing here? Didn't SOCOM on the PS2 support voice commands? Isn't a mic all that is needed to use voice commands in games?

Sure. That's why so many games have been supporting voice commands since SOCOM PS2.
Being able to do (some) recognition with a microphone is one thing, but the real benefit of voice commands is being able to do it at any moment, without any instrumentation. The requirement of a microphone defeats most of the purpose of voice commands, since people usually don't wear one at any time.

B.O.O.M

Unless you think all those devs are sitting on their butts doing nothing then yeah..they have plenty of new titles to be revealed. They announced 20 for the first year and have revealed around 5-6 iirc.

They did not talk forever about indie games. That whole segment most probably was around 10 minutes.

Not sure why you would have any doubts when it comes to Sony first and second party games on home consoles.

I mean let's be honest here, they didn't need to show too many new games. XBone reveal was mostly about tv integration and partnerships. At the PS3 reveal sony showed 4 first party exclusive titles. They just had to show some more gameplay, some good third party support, reveal their DRM policy and price and boom they 'won' E3. Now they go into GC and TGS with so much more left to show. And keep in mind, compared to MS, Sony always have bigger shows at gamescom and TGS. I don't expect MS to match that

ps: from the top of my head the known but yet to be revealed new titles include SSM game led by Stig, Quantic Dream game, ND title, GG new IP

Halo, same as above

They didn't fund projects to make thier lineup seem bigger they did it so their lineup would be bigger.

Krakn3Dfx

People are upset that Microsoft is including the Kinect with the console for $100 extra without even having a game that justifies it.

To be fair, something like Kinect Sports still isn't going to justify it any more than Wii Sports justified the existence of the Wiimote, at least to core gamers. This is very much aimed at the casual gamer, a few gimmicks in games like Dead Rising 3 isn't going to change that too much.

Unless you think all those devs are sitting on their butts doing nothing then yeah..they have plenty of new titles to be revealed. They announced 20 for the first year and have revealed around 5-6 iirc.

They did not talk forever about indie games. That whole segment most probably was around 10 minutes.

Not sure why you would have any doubts when it comes to Sony first and second party games on home consoles.

I mean let's be honest here, they didn't need to show too many new games. XBone reveal was mostly about tv integration and partnerships. At the PS3 reveal sony showed 4 first party exclusive titles. They just had to show some more gameplay, some good third party support, reveal their DRM policy and price and boom they 'won' E3. Now they go into GC and TGS with so much more left to show. And keep in mind, compared to MS, Sony always have bigger shows at gamescom and TGS. I don't expect MS to match that

That conference was SOOOO boring. Still waiting to see the games, though. Naughty Dog hopefully has something to show, but I can't say I'm too excited for what the other teams may have to show. Gonna wait and see, though. I hope to be amazed as I'll probably get a PS4 around the time Infamous comes out, but will for sure get one when Naughty Dog's game comes out.

Haha that is amazing, now they literally have no Kinect tentpole games for launch.

How can they convince consumers to spend the outrageous $499.99 the thing costs and then don't even have games to support it? What, for fucking voice integration and comically gimmicky "Kinect enhanced" features? Shoulda went with a headset then and saved everyone $100 lol
They are saving me $500.

Your move, Sony.

Krakn3Dfx

What will they now show for kinect?

No doubt more of this.
xbox-360-kinect.jpg

B.O.O.M

That conference was SOOOO boring. Still waiting to see the games, though. Naughty Dog hopefully has something to show, but I can't say I'm too excited for what the other teams may have to show. Gonna wait and see, though. I hope to be amazed as I'll probably get a PS4 around the time Infamous comes out, but will for sure get one when Naughty Dog's game comes out.

dafuq

Did you not see games or something? I feel like I'm having a pointless discussion with you here. I really can't be bothered to list the games they showed at the event either.

Listen, personal tastes aside, a discussion like this needs objectivity. Not showing exclusives that excites you is a very different argument than being doubtful they have anything to show. You are basically moving goal posts now. I didn't care for any of the XBone exclusives either (might change my mind about QBreak..but need to see actual gameplay for that first) but that's not we are talking about here

Fact of the matter is MS have already shown most of their exclusive titles for year 1. (Iiirc they showed 11-12 of their 15 titles already) Sony has only scratched the surface (around 5-6 of 20) and they go into Gamescom and TGS with much more to show in that regard.

Top Bottom