• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance playable tech Alpha is OUT NOW (PC/PS4/Xbone Cryengine RPG)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
can you actually do anything or is it mainly a tech demo?

looks amazing, very glad I backed this as a baron.
and I dont aree with his views, but luckily that doesnt keep me from playing his games

There is something like a very small quest and you can talk to the NPCs, but it's very limited. It's mainly a tech demo, but it will be updated in the future.

prudislav

Anyway, poked around, and saw that he asked Baldwin to act a role in the game over Twitter.
nice - great actor doing mocap for great game ;-)

Well as for Gamergate - i am personally sick of - there is a lot of issues to discuss inside somewhere - but right now most vocal haters are just professional trolls, professional victims and just random internet assholes - who lefts no room to rationaly discuss the issue on both "sides" (they are not exactly sides - there are a lot o agendas and different not so related issues hiding somewhere inside, but when they come together you can surely distinguish two sides)
To me it looks like as mostly American "thing". As for Vavra's view on this you need to understand that he lived half of his live under communist regime in Czechoslovakia , where free speech was vorbidden and the ones who opposed the rulling party had big problems. Which is experince that can heavily influence his point of view nowadays compared to poeple in america who didnt experienced such a regime and lives in democracy whole life.

As for black/white - there is historically no reason to have black/asian poeple in 15 century Bohemia.
As for womens/mysoginy - in 15 century bohemina there was no chance for women to become knight or something like that and yet they'll make one section of the game playable as a stealhy millers daughter.

Would love to try it but really not interested in trying now I know what the Creative Director/Owner of the studio is like.

Shamelessly in support of Gamergate. I'm not hugely involved, but any adult or industry member who's fine with what's happening is pretty ignorant in my book.

Sucks for me, cus the game looks nice, right up my street.

Okay this is just silly. One person does not represent the views of the entire company

desu

Looks like ... CryEngine, seems like a perfect fit for this type of game.

Screens look good, but don't really impress me all that much. The environment pretty much looks exactly like what hobbists have been doing the past years years with the engine (creating something with trees, thats mostly all I see from CryEngine games). First and second screenshot look awesome though.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just don't see what the blacklisting and boycotts are going to accomplish, especially with stuff like this where people are saying they want the game but won't buy it because of one the guys in charge holding opinions that are counter to their own.
Its enough for some people to feel personal satisfied in not giving money to people they have a big issue with. And people have legitimate reasons to have an issue with this guy. I personally don't feel he's quite as innocent as some people think and as a studio head, is in a very important public position when it comes to the topic.

As for Vavra's view on this you need to understand that he lived half of his live under communist regime in Czechoslovakia , where free speech was vorbidden and the ones who opposed the rulling party had big problems. Which is experince that can heavily influence his point of view nowadays compared to poeple in america who didnt experienced such a regime and lives in democracy whole life.
Just because something is easier to understand from a cause and effect standpoint doesn't make it any more acceptable. There's lots of people who are largely products of their environment and maybe don't deserve to be villainized, as if they just have evil genes in them or something, but should still be spoken against when they spew ignorant or offensive comments.

And this all assumes that this is a legitimate cause of his beliefs and he's not just a misogynist asshole in general. Some people are just plain bad apples.

Pachimari

well as far as i know (friend in warhorse) , whole development of Mafia 2 was horible mess with 2K butchering original design( cutting out meelee weapons, heavy cuts of chapters ,... ) and resulting in a lot of people leaving and founding of Warhorse studios.
That is true.

Rockstar North (GTA creators) had to help out.

prudislav

And this all assumes that this is a legitimate cause of his beliefs and he's not just a misogynist asshole in general. Some people are just plain bad apples.
Didint saw any quote from hi i would call straight out misoginy. Just some interview maybe harsh bnut racional thoughts on this famewar about some not so related issues(corruptiuon, womens in gaming, "gamer" term, minorities,...) between dozens groups(wvwn with professional harrassers aswell as professional victims) with different agendas and goals hiding behind 2 "sides" which doesnt even have clear distinction anymore.
just sidenote: funny thing is that Gamersgate was at first issue of corruption in game industry - now when feminists/antifeminist warriors stepped into it its all about "misoginy" and not about corruption

but enough with this bullshit , lets talk about the game
so far i really ike what i saw - especially the bow and how you cant hold it that long
also hope they will leave the quest system similar to this - that you need to ask around the village about the questgiver to find him and not having big blu marker over his head - it would be nice use of their daily routines system

Denton

The quest marker issue, I really hope they will not copy Skyrim. It would be nice if we could simply ask "filler" NPCs for directions.

Mr. Tibbs

I thought it was the other way around (Mafia people helping on R* titles).

The only thing 2K Czech did to help GTA5 was to give them the tennis code from their Top Spin game so it could be added to GTA. Other than that, they didn't do anything else.

Everyone I know says Rockstar doesn't let anyone into their system or company to help...

Seanspeed

Banned
Didint saw any quote from hi i would call straight out misoginy.
Perhaps not, but I think anyone who outright *supports* Gamergate has some ignorant or misled attitudes. That one interview he did he sounds fairly rational and I can understand the desire to point out hypocrisy where he feels its unfair, but when you look at his Twitter, he's *extremely* outspoken on the issue and his support of particular participants in this movement is quite ugly at times. Its similar to the widespread conservative movement in the US to act like racism isn't an issue.

I'm all for standing in the middle and thinking that both sides can be overly dramatic at times and that there are people with persecution complexes and people who are overly judgemental and people who are hypocrites and blah blah, but this guy is clearly standing on one side and I don't feel its the 'more reasonable' side at all.

EDIT: And that'll be my last comment on the subject ok guys? :p

nice - great actor doing mocap for great game ;-)

Well as for Gamergate - i am personally sick of - there is a lot of issues to discuss inside somewhere - but right now most vocal haters are just professional trolls, professional victims and just random internet assholes - who lefts no room to rationaly discuss the issue on both "sides" (they are not exactly sides - there are a lot o agendas and different not so related issues hiding somewhere inside, but when they come together you can surely distinguish two sides)
To me it looks like as mostly American "thing". As for Vavra's view on this you need to understand that he lived half of his live under communist regime in Czechoslovakia , where free speech was vorbidden and the ones who opposed the rulling party had big problems. Which is experince that can heavily influence his point of view nowadays compared to poeple in america who didnt experienced such a regime and lives in democracy whole life.

As for black/white - there is historically no reason to have black/asian poeple in 15 century Bohemia.
As for womens/mysoginy - in 15 century bohemina there was no chance for women to become knight or something like that and yet they'll make one section of the game playable as a stealhy millers daughter.
Actually, it has been Czech Republic for quite a few decades now and free speech is not an issue. When I lived there, actually did see posters and graffiti for wanting to go back under the bosom of Soviet Union :p

Too bad there's no combat yet. Will wait for impressions then.

prudislav

Actually, it has been Czech Republic for quite a few decades now and free speech is not an issue. When I lived there, actually did see posters and graffiti for wanting to go back under the bosom of Soviet Union :p

Too bad there's no combat yet. Will wait for impressions then.
yep its much better now for 2 decades since Velvet Revolution (but nongaing press is still fileld with political propaganda), but being teenager under that regime heavily influences people , for example my grandad was imprisoned for being caught listening to english radio stations and my whole family after that was treated like some evil traitors by the officials .

Yep hope for combat aswell - really like how bows work - will try to shoot some chickens

Zafir

I'm looking forward to them adding more stuff to do. While I really like the environments, it's just kind of lacking with stuff to do. Which is to be expected considering it's only the first Alpha.

If you see just two comments before my reaction, that means you have a lot of people on ignore list. If you look closely I didn't react at the initial comment(s), but only after it become a main part of the discussion. But I guess you don't see it even now as a hijack. Funny thing is that this is one of the favorites tactic also on the other side of the war, raiding and mass trolling the discussions of the ones you don't agree with. But whatever, this is my last comment on the matter now, I'll update my ignore list with all the warriors on both sides and focus on games.

When I said initial comments, I meant people who stated that they weren't getting the game due to it. I don't mean any quotes or comments on those two which came after. I don't have anyone on my ignore list, I don't see the point.

Either way you completely missed my point. Ironically, by even commenting on it, and moaning, you managed to derail the thread more. Which is why I stated you should just not acknowledge the comments if you don't agree and only read ones about the game.

Mind you, I guess you've already put me on your ignore list, lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder how the PS4 version will look? If it turns out well, i'll be buying that one

I'm surprised it runs this well, anyone with a few years old specs tried the game ? Most of the footage I've seen runs pretty smoothly and it's not even a full fledged alpha.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
And his whole team that worked hard and actually made the game :/
I know, it sucks for them.

And please keep the politics out of this thread, I'm getting sick of it.
Vavra is the one who not only started with the "politics", he keeps at it day after day. It's pretty hard to ignore at this point.

That said, if a mod tells us to keep the discussion about the lead dev to the #gg thread, I can understand that.

just sidenote: funny thing is that Gamersgate was at first issue of corruption in game industry - now when feminists/antifeminist warriors stepped into it its all about "misoginy" and not about corruption
That's such a blatantly false statement, I don't even know where to begin. >_< It's the completely other way around.

-SD-

Banned
High Quality Screenshots through console commands (and 4K) - Tutorial - Kingdom Come: Deliverance Forum

Disables HUD and more.

EDIT: Comparison screens from the video.

OFF
kcd_offfcrew.png

ON
kcd_onh7p5x.png

IMACOMPUTA

Very alpha-y as expected.
God damn the npc's uskippable conversations take way too long.

I have some funny screenshots of an npc hovering 8 ft off the ground flying around stirring an invisible pot of soup though.

Denton

Awesome, thanks. I hope the HUD will get redesign and toggle in full version.

Very alpha-y as expected.
God damn the npc's uskippable conversations take way too long.

I have some funny screenshots of an npc hovering 8 ft off the ground flying around stirring an invisible pot of soup though.
I could skip the dialogues with B on the controller. Haven't tried keyboard though.

Played some of it just a few minutes ago. Looks impressive even in low settings, it didnt ran that well on medium (have to change my PC soon).
Most of the NPCs were glitched when i changed to low so I couldnt do much, but walking around is already amazing.

Teremap

Banned
[...] But whatever, this is my last comment on the matter now, I'll update my ignore list with all the warriors on both sides and focus on games.
The ignore list is not a tool to abuse and create your own personal echo chamber on the forums.

But you know, whatever. Have it your way. Me, I've never added anybody to my ignore list and I'm not starting any time soon.

[...] professional victims [...]
You know, if I had my way, use of this statement would be grounds for an instantaneous ban.

Think about the implications behind this statement for just a second. And while we're at it, why don't you go look up the definition of false "equivalency"?
Wrong. Holy shit, this is so wrong. Can you just, like, not talk about things you don't have a single fucking clue about as if you have any sort of authority on the matter whatsoever?

Pachimari

I thought it was the other way around (Mafia people helping on R* titles).
The development of Mafia II were such a mess and with their deadline, Rockstar had to give them a helping hand.

It wasn't fun working on Mafia II, so I understand the people who left the company.

-SD-

Banned
This forum is far too much into politics. Threads gets littered with irrelevant crap. It's like a cancer eating away through a thread, hampering gaming discussion and eventually killing the thread.

Such a shame...

flozuki

It seems like Kingdom Come is one of the rare games that use a setting without magic, dragons, etc. in a medieval century. Is there even a huge market for games in authentic, realistic medieval settings? Would love to see a study or some market information about this but I guess there is no such thing available :-/ ?

Zafir

It seems like Kingdom Come is one of the rare games that use a setting without magic, dragons, etc. in a medieval century. Is there even a huge market for games in authentic, realistic medieval settings? Would love to see a study or some market information about this but I guess there is no such thing available :-/ ?

Mount & Blade games have a pretty decent following.

Denton

The only non-strategy games I can think of that are medieval and do not feature any fantasy (or scifi like AC games) elements are Mount and Blade and Chivalry, both of which have big focus on multiplayer and do not really have RPG-style singleplayer gameplay.
So yeah it is unproven, but I think it will be successful precisely because a game like this doesn't exist on the market. The devs spoke about a big expensive research they had done regarding the market viability of this game, and apparently it was very positive. I wish they would release the results.

Durante

Someone publicly supporting a misogynistic hate group goes well beyond "people with other opinions" and more into the realm of "this man represents an existential threat" to me...
This is the kind of statement that makes it impossible for me to associate with either side in this ongoing clusterfuck. Vavra might well be an ass (I don't know), but I'm very sure he does not represent an "existential threat" to you. My advice: if you would stop laying on the melodrama so thick that it overshadows any reasonable point you want to make, more people might start listening to you.

This is the kind of statement that makes it impossible for me to associate with either side in this ongoing clusterfuck. Vavra might well be an ass (I don't know), but I'm very sure he does not represent an "existential threat" to you. My advice: if you would stop laying on the melodrama so thick that it overshadows any reasonable point you want to make, more people might start listening to you.

He turned into an ass the the precoess of this gamergate stuff :/

But yes, he is not actvely threatening people or anything. He just has a conservatice opinion.

As someone who's firmly anti-GG, there's a lot more people behind a game then just one dude. While I feel it's a totally legit opinion to want to avoid a game due to the director's politics and opinions, I personally find it hard to rationalize that to myself when it's a group of different people and not just one person by themselves to boycott a game specifically over my distaste for a dev.

Same thing with Amikrog and the whole Doug TenNapel situation awhile back, though I feel that one was way more unfair since it was over several year-old homophobic comments and attitude he'd repeatedly acknowledged and apologized for in a Jim Sterling-like manner.

Between this and Bannerlord I'm happy that we're getting more ambitious sandbox-y medieval RPG titles, this is really a nice that deserves to be filled. So far the game looks great, is there any sword fight in the alpha yet ?

Denton

Between this and Bannerlord I'm happy that we're getting more ambitious sandbox-y medieval RPG titles, this is really a nice that deserves to be filled. So far the game looks great, is there any sword fight in the alpha yet ?

I haven't been following Bannerlord (that is Mount and Blade 2 right?), will it have normal singleplayer with story etc ? Or is is like the first one.

RedSwirl

This is probably why they couldn't get the game greenlit under a normal publisher. None of them knows how to market this kind of thing. The closest thing in console terms would be like Red Dead or something like that. There has to be a central, relatively simple appeal point for the casual consumer, and Kingdom Come doesn't have it yet.

The most similar thing on PC would actually be Darklands -- a 1992 non-fantasy RPG taking place in... medieval Germany. It just came out on Steam.

Teremap

Banned
Nice panoramic shot of the alpha

ibe1oc7H6ZebDL.jpg

Original (8K res)
1370023906970.gif

He turned into an ass the the precoess of this gamergate stuff :/

But yes, he is not actvely threatening people or anything. He just has a conservatice opinion.
When the "movement" is actively sending out death and bomb threats to people and forcing good folks out of the industry entirely, yes, I do consider that a real, legitimate threat and consider anyone supporting that crap to be, if not complicit, then at least negligent on the matter and in need of serious reeducation.

Edit: And while we're at it, seriously, Durante, I expect better of you. Referring to this whole thing as "melodrama" is beyond insulting to the women who have actually been pushed out of their homes because of this shit, not to mention the people leaving the industry entirely just to avoid it. At that point it ceases to be "melodrama" and becomes drama, with actual people undergoing very real consequences from the actions of reactionary people doing very horrible things.

As someone who's firmly anti-GG, there's a lot more people behind a game then just one dude. While I feel it's a totally legit opinion to want to avoid a game due to the director's politics and opinions, I personally find it hard to rationalize that to myself when it's a group of different people and not just one person by themselves to boycott a game specifically over my distaste for a dev.

Same thing with Amikrog and the whole Doug TenNapel situation awhile back, though I feel that one was way more unfair since it was over several year-old homophobic comments and attitude he'd repeatedly acknowledged and apologized for in a Jim Sterling-like manner.
I should note that I'm not even one of the people boycotting the game; I am just defending their reasoning for doing so.

The whole thing is so damn ugly it boggles my mind how people can see "sides" in something this obvious. If one "side" consists of people simply defending themselves and the other "side" is actively trying to curtail progress and throwing out death threats left and right it becomes less an issue of politics and more an issue of "where the hell did your senses go!?"

Denton

This is probably why they couldn't get the game greenlit under a normal publisher. None of them knows how to market this kind of thing. The closest thing in console terms would be like Red Dead or something like that. There has to be a central, relatively simple appeal point for the casual consumer, and Kingdom Come doesn't have it yet.

The most similar thing on PC would actually be Darklands -- a 1992 non-fantasy RPG taking place in... medieval Germany. It just came out on Steam.

Dan Vavra actually wrote in great detail about the entire pitching process to the biggest publishers and the results:

The worldwide pitching tour 2013:
http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_027&lang=en

The Art of Waiting:
http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_031&lang=en

It is a lot of interesting stuff, not just these two blogposts but all the other ones as well, for anyone interested in development and stuff connected to it.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think it is a really interesting untapped market TBH.

Medieval period games that deal with certain fictional or non-fictional events or periods in time could be really interesting with the growing number of older gamers. I just think any game trying to essentially carve out a new market needs a compelling hook and I'm not sure I've seen one for this game yet.

BajiBoxer

Banned
At this point I really feel hopeless. There was no game that I like and wanted to talk about around here in the past months that has not been forcibly dragged into these wars. Wars I really don't want to be part of. All I want to do here is to discuss about my hobby - playing games, but it seems really impossible to do this now. Why don't you make separate threads for this is beyond my understanding.
If the director very publicly linked his game to this group of hateful people deliberately like has been said, I don't think that counts as getting dragged into anything. If he wants that kind of attention, then there's not much you can do about it.

It's too bad, because the game looks extremely promising.

RedSwirl

Dan Vavra actually wrote in great detail about the entire pitching process to the biggest publishers and the results:

The worldwide pitching tour 2013:
http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_027&lang=en

The Art of Waiting:
http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_031&lang=en

It is a lot of interesting stuff, not just these two blogposts but all the other ones as well, for anyone interested in development and stuff connected to it.

Read those, and that's the conclusion I took away as to why no traditional publisher could pick up the game. A lot of them were enthusiastic about the game, and Warhorse has data suggesting there's enough of an audience that would be receptive to their idea. It just isn't an easy idea to distill into something simple enough to broadly market. Even Skyrim's marketing had to heavily simplify things from what the Elder Scrolls world is really about down to "viking-looking guys and dragons." I'll even admit I wasn't interested in an Elder Scrolls game until Skyrim because that game looked like it has an easily recognizable visual identity to me.

Anyway, what's interesting to me about Kingdom Come is that it might actually be the first fully next-gen immersive sim in the style of Elder Scrolls or Deus Ex or whatever. Though I guess that depends on when it comes out in relation to Witcher 3 and how much like an immersive sim Witcher 3 becomes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If the director very publicly linked his game to this group of hateful people deliberately like has been said, I don't think that counts as getting dragged into anything. If he wants that kind of attention, then there's not much you can do about it.

It's too bad, because the game looks extremely promising.
Yup, he totally made his bed.

I haven't been following Bannerlord (that is Mount and Blade 2 right?), will it have normal singleplayer with story etc ? Or is is like the first one.

As far as I know it's going to be like the first one though but maybe they're planning something on that front, the first one had some sort of make your own character background but it only affected stats, maybe there will be more in M&BII.
I also can't wait to see what the modding community will be able to make with the game, they made the modding tools much more accessible it seems. I mean M&B already had a ton of mods ranging from dark ages to Warhammer 40K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obO5sbziqjM

But enough shilling for today, thread is about Kingdom Come and it's already looking good for an alpha tech demo, I'm really hopeful for the full game.

Top Bottom