• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE FINAL FANTASY XV- Official E3 Trailer

Izana

Neo Member
From the Kingsglaive spoilers regarding Ravus, also seen in that new KG clip... It goes back to what Tabata said about having players understanding why the main enemy isn't actually bad or evil, their motivations for doing what they do will make sense.

Massive spoilers:
Lunafreya’s older brother (or cousin?). Lost his mother during Niflheim’s blitzkrieg of Tenebrae and desperately begged Regis to help them (the two countries were allies). Regis refused and the Lucians withdrew; Tenebrae fell shortly afterwards. He has lived as an Imperial subject ever since, looking for a chance to take his revenge.

Won't be surprised if they reworked this scene into the final game.
Yup.
Ravus is said to be cool and collected, but he's actually been waiting for a chance at revenge. Going to Insomnia gives him that chance.

From the Kingsglaive spoilers regarding Ravus, also seen in that new KG clip... It goes back to what Tabata said about having players understanding why the main enemy isn't actually bad or evil, their motivations for doing what they do will make sense.

I can only imagine the impact he'll suffer by being rejected by the Lucian Ring (he's not considered worthy to use it, iirc). After all this time his "big chance" actually transforms in pain since he'll pay for trying to wear it (and most likely will become blind and start to cover his face since he also gets mangled).

That scene within the forest (when Regis doesn't care about Ravus and actually tries to save Luna/Noctis) reminded me of what Alfred said in BvS: "That's how it starts. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel. "

Tragedy awaits.

Massive spoilers:
Lunafreya’s older brother (or cousin?). Lost his mother during Niflheim’s blitzkrieg of Tenebrae and desperately begged Regis to help them (the two countries were allies). Regis refused and the Lucians withdrew; Tenebrae fell shortly afterwards. He has lived as an Imperial subject ever since, looking for a chance to take his revenge.

Won't be surprised if they reworked this scene into the final game.

Hope the quote from FFVSXIII still be there: neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so.

About Ravus,
in FFXV E3 2013 trailer, he seems know plague of stars and he has worked under Niflheim for a chance to take his revenge. So what's his role for the whole story?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
And little by little I'm starting to like the characters in the movie more than the ones ingame. I can't stand Noctis and the bros, to be honest. They're all generic animu shoenen 2000s shit. I also think some visual changes are for the worse, making Regis look like a realistic western old man vs the animu Noctis is jarring at best. Make them ALL realistic or make them all NOMURA...
In 2006-2011 I loved this game aestethic, but 10 yrs older I'm changing opinion. These designs are now obsolete.

artsi

Welp, too many spoiler tags for me.

gEPLjfE.gif

That's like KH levels of outfits.

Ha, I went, 'oh, wow, he looks grea--euurrrghnoo hmm.' I don't mind the top-half as much, it's just the belt below brings some Kingdom Hearts realness. I really like the face model, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in action. So we've got Regis Stark and Ravus Lannister! Glauca's armour looks like someone skinned Bahamut and fashioned armour out of it, it's rather creepy.

Famassu

And little by little I'm starting to like the characters in the movie more than the ones ingame. I can't stand Noctis and the bros, to be honest. They're all generic animu shoenen 2000s shit. I also think some visual changes are for the worse, making Regis look like a realistic western old man vs the animu Noctis is jarring at best. Make them ALL realistic or make them all NOMURA...
In 2006-2011 I loved this game aestethic, but 10 yrs older I'm changing opinion. These designs are now obsolete.
Dear god. None of the main characters in the game are "animu". They (mostly) wear casual clothes because they aren't military/royal task force men like Nyx or royalty wearing clothing fitting such people (Noctis is a prince who deliberately wears such non-fitting-for-a-royal clothing). People like Ravus & Ardyn (even Regis' clothing) are far more "animu" than Noctis & the gang, who just wear pretty normal, but somewhat stylized, fashionable young-people clothing (except Gladio, leather pants & vest are hideous).

Perfo

Dear god. None of the main characters in the game are "animu". They (mostly) wear casual clothes because they aren't military/royal task force men like Nyx or royalty wearing clothing fitting such people (Noctis is a prince who deliberately wears such non-fitting-for-a-royal clothing). People like Ravus & Ardyn (even Regis' clothing) are far more "animu" than Noctis & the gang, who just wear pretty normal, but somewhat stylized, fashionable young-people clothing (except Gladio, leather pants & vest are hideous).

My main issue is with the faces (including hairstyles) of the main gang, not the clothes. Noctis is the most jarring, he is totally coming from another videogame and doesn't fit in the FFXV universe at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dear god. None of the main characters in the game are "animu". They (mostly) wear casual clothes because they aren't military/royal task force men like Nyx or royalty wearing clothing fitting such people (Noctis is a prince who deliberately wears such non-fitting-for-a-royal clothing). People like Ravus & Ardyn are far more "animu" than Noctis & the gang, who just wear pretty normal, but somewhat stylized, fashionable young-people clothing (except Gladio, leather pants & vest are hideous).
I would go out and look at how young adults dress, it's definitely not like the way FFXV's cast is dressed. The most normal Noctis ever looked is when he doesn't wear that jacket that goes below his waste. Just to drive the point home this is what Noctis's outfit looked like irl
488original.jpg

I would go out and look at how young adults dress, it's definitely not like the way FFXV's cast is dressed. The most normal Noctis ever looked is when he doesn't wear that jacket that goes below his waste. Just to drive the point home this is what Noctis's outfit looked like irl
488original.jpg

Oh come on, it is artistic license. You don't have to like them, but that is a matter of opinion. I mean you are a big fan of Assassin's Creed, but that purports to be some level of historical fiction and the dress up in that game is very inappropriate given the context. Not that I mind particularly, but I don't think in the world of FFXV the clothes are particularly out of place. FF games have always had very heterogeneous and mish mash stylings. I don't mind at all that you don't like the character designs, but I do think your argument that they are inappropriate is a bit off.

They're too old to be shounen.

Perfo

Oh come on, it is artistic license. You don't have to like them, but that is a matter of opinion. I mean you are a big fan of Assassin's Creed, but that purports to be some level of historical fiction and the dress up in that game is very inappropriate given the context. Not that I mind particularly, but I don't think in the world of FFXV the clothes are particularly out of place. FF games have always had very heterogeneous and mish mash stylings. I don't mind at all that you don't like the character designs, but I do think your argument that they are inappropriate is a bit off.

Actually in this regards is one of the most grounded if not the most grounded char design in the series. Like I said what I don't like are the Nomura s faces in a realistic Co cast and universe. The difference with kingsglaive is huge and many of kingsglaive s characters reprise their look ect in the game world too. See Regis. Clash of different visual styles. Ardyn himself in game looks more realistic and real than let's say... ignis and notcis and their baby faces.

Crossing Eden

You would never see me saying that people irl actually dress like AC characters, despite how normalized the MD clothing is in a lot of cases, in fact on this very forum I've said the opposite but this thread doesn't really have to do with AC. The post I was replying to implied that the characters dress like normal people when the opposite is true. KingsGlaive cast so far has been much better at sticking to the "fantasy based in reality" tagline than the main cast. Even the Jaime Lannister/Xemnas fusion above.

Turin

Banned
Ravus' wardrobe doesn't look super realistic either but I like it overall(belt weirdness notwithstanding). He looks like a nobleman in a grounded sci-fi/fantasy setting.

With Noct and crew, it leaves a lot to be desired. There's nothing cool, classy or even casually fashionable about it. It's just an eyesore.

Mifec

I'm past the point of being annoyed by char outfits in this game. Then again I also prefer new Regis.
Ravus' wardrobe doesn't look super realistic either but I like it overall(belt weirdness notwithstanding). He looks like a nobleman in a grounded sci-fi/fantasy setting.

With Noct and crew, it leaves a lot to be desired. There's nothing cool, classy or even casually fashionable about it. It's just an eyesore.

I have to ask, what char is your ava supposed to be?

Famassu

You would never see me saying that people irl actually dress like AC characters, despite how normalized the MD clothing is in a lot of cases, in fact on this very forum I've said the opposite but this thread doesn't really have to do with AC. The post I was replying to implied that the characters dress like normal people when the opposite is true. KingsGlaive cast so far has been much better at sticking to the "fantasy based in reality" tagline than the main cast. Even the Jaime Lannister/Xemnas fusion above.
I said STYLIZED normal-ish clothing. People in the "real world" dress up in t-shirt & shorts, denim vests & pants, suits and even... *shudder* leather pants & vests. FFXV's versions of those clothings just have some added details that aren't necessarily typical for most people who wear those kinds of clothes, but overall the type of clothes these people have are not completely outlandish like something like Lulu's belt-dress in FFX & such. Even then, the added details arent' so outrageous that they just completely ruin the characters in the game. Noctis' clothing looks pretty bad IRL but it isn't all that horrible in the game.

Besides, it IS still fantasy, so it doesn't have to conform to all clothing norms in the real world. Nothing wrong with spicing up the clothing a bit.

Turin

Banned
I'm past the point of being annoyed by char outfits in this game. Then again I also prefer new Regis.

I have to ask, what char is your ava supposed to be?

lol. I get asked that on occasion.

It's from fan art of Will Graham rescuing(stealing?) a dog.

Here's the full image.

Edit:

I said STYLIZED normal-ish clothing. People in the "real world" dress up in t-shirt & shorts, denim vests & pants, suits and even... *shudder* leather pants & vests. FFXV's versions of those clothings just have some added details that aren't necessarily typical for most people who wear those kinds of clothes, but overall the type of clothes these people have are not completely outlandish like something like Lulu's belt-dress in FFX & such. Even then, the added details arent' so outrageous that they just completely ruin the characters in the game. Noctis' clothing looks pretty bad IRL but it isn't all that horrible in the game.

Besides, it IS still fantasy, so it doesn't have to conform to all clothing norms in the real world. Nothing wrong with spicing up the clothing a bit.

There's characters in both the movie and game who's wardrobe looks more stylized/fantasy yet much better than the main cast.

It's just sloppy and uninspired design regardless of what the concept is.

You and me both know there is a zero chance of this happening

He means the demographic not their age.

Doesn't the game seem a little more oriented towards a "seinen" market? Moreover, isn't their generally overlap between the market and the age group of the protagonists?

Crossing Eden

Out of all the cutscenes we've seen so far i've never once thought that they looked believable in context. Mannerisms don't help but that's a whole other can of worms.

There's characters in both the movie and game who's wardrobe looks more stylized/fantasy yet much better than the main cast.

Yea, it's so very stereotypical Nomura that it hurts.

Burbeting

Banned
I just hope that these villains don't suffer the same fate as the ones introduced and hyped in FF13. Anyone remember Jihl Nabaat? Me neither.

KG Luna's eyes are a little further apart than normal, which I think gives her an unearthly, ethereal vibe.

The lighting on her does that too so I'm not sure it's that. I think it's more the face than the eyes.

No it's not. Noctis' stuff looks fine in game and fits a skyscraper/highway city.

And on some level you have to remember that Noctis and co's outfits were designed at a time were they were originally meant to contrast modern suits and ties not retro(?) modern mixes of modern clothes with knight-like armor.

Mmh,
Ravus
looks really out of place. Maybe it's like superhero movie on-set pictures and it looks better in the actual flick...

Go_Ly_Dow

I have no qualms about the main casts clothing difference. They are a younger and different generation. You get the same juxtaposition in modern society between age demographics (especially in Asia).

The Kingsglaive are hardened warriors in charge of protecting the nation. The main character is a modern Prince who went to a public school and has little responsibility.

Poor Jihl, we hardly knew thee!

I have to admit I've really grown to like Kingsglaive!Luna over FFXV!Luna. The in-game Luna looks considerably younger than Noctis, and quite plasticy and doll-like even in comparison to the other women we've seen in the game. Cindy and Gentiana have fantastic faces, that fit in stylistically alongside Noctis and co - not to mention all the various face model iterations Stella had.

I also love that Kingsglaive!Luna looks incredibly put together, but the dark bags under her eyes still give her away, and she looks perpetually exhausted. Her personality and elements to her character are shown through her design without the need for any dialogue. Kingsglaive!Luna looks older than Noctis, too, which is more in line with their actual ages - not that a two year age gap is much, really.

At any rate, I'm hoping in-game Luna gets another outfit alongside her wedding dress, it's a bit of a downer in comparison to her Kingsglaive outfit. More importantly, one can never have too many outfits.

re: Stella/Luna + character Kingsglaive spoiler -
I'm really curious about Stella's role in VersusXIII after reading the Ravus spoilers. Luna seems very protective of Noctis, and goes out of her way to help Regis. Stella was more like a reluctant adversary when interacting with Noctis in the Versus days, I wonder if she was originally siding more with her brother against Regis for a time? Of course, we don't know if Ravus' motivations changed between Versus -> XV, so it's kind of like speculating about hot air.

Phaezyk

...Noctis and the bros... In 2006-2011 I loved this game aestethic, but 10 yrs older I'm changing opinion. These designs are now obsolete.

Yeeeah, I'm kind of with you on this. Their designs aren't so hard for me to look at but I was fine with the black garb back then. Now, I really want to outfit them in something different / more colorful ASAP.

Yeeeah, I'm kind of with you on this. Their designs aren't so hard for me to look at but I was fine with the black garb back then. Now, I really want to outfit them in something different / more colorful ASAP.
Pray for Dress Fantasy 2
Dress Fantasy 1 being FF XIII Lightning Returns of course

Top Bottom