• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

Thoraxes

Man, this game is so good. I love the touchscreen controls and the level design. It all just works so well. The music is really outstanding too!

I forgot how much fun touchscreen games could be.

walnuts

I'm surprised this game came out already. I didn't know it did, really. This game didn't have too much marketing as I see.

And I'm also surprised they still keep those unfocused backgrounds. That cannot be good for your eyes.

I'm surprised this game came out already. I didn't know it did, really. This game didn't have too much marketing as I see.

And I'm also surprised they still keep those unfocused backgrounds. That cannot be good for your eyes.

Why are you staring at something your eyes can't focus on?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hate going into this thread, because it reminds me I have to wait for the successor of the best Kirby game (by a lightyear) an unknown amount of additional months :(.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I wont spoil stage 2-2, but the theme is a really good remix. That being said, where is the third chest?

There's a challenge door right after you get the chest that's floating up with balloons. You have to go up.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just beat it, the last boss was actually pretty tough.

As a huge fan of Canvas Curse, Rainbow Curse satisfied my want for a sequel. I just wish Rainbow Curse was a bit longer. It seems like Rainbow Curse was finally hitting its stride during world 6 and 7, and I wanted more of that. And there were too many levels focusing on gimmicks that weren't as good as the Canvas Curse mechanics, specifically the stupid rope carrying basket, which I had a lot of trouble getting my drawing lines to connect to the ropes.

seph1roth

How is the level design? is it good or is like Epic Yarn?

Also, is this game at least have a minimum difficulty or is like the rest Kirby games?

Teknoman

How is the level design? is it good or is like Epic Yarn?

Also, is this game at least have a minimum difficulty or is like the rest Kirby games?

Its got a good steady increase in difficulty as things go by.

Also have you played Return to Dreamland for the Wii? If not, you should.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
*sigh* despite not loving the concept of Canvas Curse, I picked this up as I love Kirby. The controls are a mess, I'm really not enjoying it much, same issues I had with Kid Icarus.

Is there a way to speed Kirby up beyond tapping him? And can you change his direction while he's rolling? Some button presses would have helped. I got up to Wispy Woods and haven't played since.

Mzo

Is there a way to speed Kirby up beyond tapping him? And can you change his direction while he's rolling? Some button presses would have helped. I got up to Wispy Woods and haven't played since.
Not really, and yes, by drawing a line going the other way. If you draw a line through an existing line, the old one will disappear, so draw a little line down through the one he's on, then curve it quickly in the direction you want him to go.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
*sigh* despite not loving the concept of Canvas Curse, I picked this up as I love Kirby. The controls are a mess, I'm really not enjoying it much, same issues I had with Kid Icarus.

- drawing a line with a loop speeds kirby up, along with tapping him
- If kirby is going the wrong direction, draw a new line going in the correct direction. Kirby should go in the direction the line was drawn in, even if it was drawn vertically (both up and down)
- You can also stop kirby's momentum with a transverse line

The controls take a little bit of time to get accustomed to, but once you get the hang of things they work wonderfully.

El Odio

Banned
Approaching the end game I have to ask, what is with all these references to the animal buddies throughout? They're everywhere.

I loved Canvas Curse back in the day but recently felt burned with Triple Deluxe so I've been putting off getting this....reading the miiverse for it however it just looks so beautiful and I do like a good piece of art...

Niraj

Played a little more tonight, in world 5 with all chests and gold medals, and gold medals in the 29 challenges I have available so far. The survival ones can get pretty tricky. Really love getting the chests in story mode since there are so many good remixes of old Kirby music you can find.

I've been playing it for awhile. Feels like a great fit for the system. Cant imagine playing it on the 3DS's bottom screen like I've seen people suggest. Looks really good on the gamepad too.
I wish they would've mapped the kirby dash to the ZL/ZR buttons. Would've made this game considerably better.

I am mostly mixed on it.
On the one hand, I am having fun.
On the other, it is a bit too simple and getting some chests are really annoying (cough balloon chests cough)

If the transformations were consistently good, then I might give no powers a pass.
However, I only really like tank. Sub is a bit too easy and Rocket is too frustrating.

In short, the concept is there but it is missing something. Maybe more bosses or transformations.
Right now a 3/5 and on World 5.

Fuck 4-1. It took me an hour to beat it 100%.

However, my failures had nothing to do with the controls. Anyone who bitches about the controls, much like TW101, has no grounds to stand upon.

Fuck 4-1. It took me an hour to beat it 100%.

However, my failures had nothing to do with the controls. Anyone who bitches about the controls, much like TW101, has no grounds to stand upon.
Yeah, the controls are fine. The air current threw me off more than anything.
I still have not gotten the 3rd chest because I accidently pop the cannon. >->

I was prepared for the water though because it operated the same as Canvas Curse.

From what I played, Gamespot is full of it but Giant Bomb had valid points. 2/5 is way too harsh though.

Yeah, the controls seem fine to me. A few hiccups here and there, but it's mostly fine and easy to get a hang of. As I said before, mapping boost to ZR/ZL would've greatly improved the game though. I think a lot of people would've enjoyed it a lot more and it makes it more of a gamepad/wii u game.

Haines

Banned
I loved Canvas Curse back in the day but recently felt burned with Triple Deluxe so I've been putting off getting this....reading the miiverse for it however it just looks so beautiful and I do like a good piece of art...

Triple.deluxe is so strange in that I've seen people claim it's a classic and others hate it.

I probably won't ever play it tho.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want to continue playing through this one

But I can only do it in short bursts, as the Gamepad is a real hand cramper.
Really? How are you holding it? Try loosening your grip or something. As long as you can use the stylus you're fine for this game.

Triple.deluxe is so strange in that I've seen people claim it's a classic and others hate it.

I probably won't ever play it tho.

Same here. It's a really polarizing game.

I played through it, but couldn't wait for it to end because it was so mindnumbingly dull and easy.

I didn't buy Rainbow Curse but I did get a complete copy of Canvas Curse off Ebay as I like to play the prequel before the sequel.

It was from Canada and cost me like $28 but there wasn't a shipping quote at the time. Shipping was $11 so it came out to the usual cost for a complete copy on Ebay.

I have GCU at Best Buy but I recently bought a PSTV ($50 bundle), Tropical Freeze (afraid it'll become rare) and $50 for Wii Sports Club (it became rare) and over $100 each on Eshop and PSN cards from Best Buy.

Basically I hope this and Mario Party (this should be safe) will stay in stock until fall or a good sale.

It's funny but I find myself saving money for when the next Nintendo game becomes rare to find.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I played the JP version for about 1 hour, then MM came out and I got obsessed with that for the last week and a half. People, like me, who suck with the controls...Did you get better as the game goes on? In the 1 hour I played I didn't feel like I was improving at all, and just getting frustrated. The problem isn't with the controls, but just me not being able to get a hang of them, I guess. The World 1 boss really took me way too long to beat.

I think I will give the game another shot this weekend.

El Odio

Banned
Finished the game 100% today. I was a little disappointed with the (Final boss spoilers)
battle against Claycia and how underwhelming it felt but I liked the Dark Crafter battle, probably because of how nice it all looked.
Challenge mode was rage inducing due to the more luck based ones in the survival rooms but otherwise not too bad. Even though it was short I thought it was a very pleasing experience both sound wise and visually.

Really loved the game. 100%ed every level and am going for challenge rooms now. Just trying to unlock the last few.

Does anyone know if you can die on a boss and still unlock the challenge rooms for not taking damage? It seems like purposefully dying after taking one hit is a faster restart than exiting the level and playing up to the boss again.

Edit: Okay, tried it anyway and it totally worked. This game really needs a restart button in the pause menu, though.

El Odio

Banned
Really loved the game. 100%ed every level and am going for challenge rooms now. Just trying to unlock the last few.

Does anyone know if you can die on a boss and still unlock the challenge rooms for not taking damage? It seems like purposefully dying after taking one hit is a faster restart than exiting the level and playing up to the boss again.

Edit: Okay, tried it anyway and it totally worked. This game really needs a restart button in the pause menu, though.
That's what I did. No way I was gonna get up to the second portion of the final fight and then restart the whole thing over one hit. Glad it worked.

AlexIIDX

First Kirby game since Dream Land ...only played through the first world so far and i'm having fun...it was frustrating for like 30 minutes but now ive got it down. I love the secret diary music.

edit: are all the chests hidden throughout the stage or do I need to get a certain amount of stars to unlock some?

Niraj

First Kirby game since Dream Land ...only played through the first world so far and i'm having fun...it was frustrating for like 30 minutes but now ive got it down. I love the secret diary music.

edit: are all the chests hidden throughout the stage or do I need to get a certain amount of stars to unlock some?

The former. Stars are for the medals.

Really? How are you holding it? Try loosening your grip or something. As long as you can use the stylus you're fine for this game.
I hold the Gamepad in left hand (holding it on the left side), and the stylus in my right.

Like this

explorer-controls-stylus.png

Maybe I should just let the Gamepad rest on my lap? Otherwise, I'm not sure there's another way around it.

Kyuur

This game continues the legacy of Kirby spinoffs being far superior to the mainline games (Pinball, Dream Course, Canvas Curse). Speaking of which, can we get a Dream Course sequel now please. :(

I hold the Gamepad in left hand (holding it on the left side), and the stylus in my right.

Like this

Maybe I should just let the Gamepad rest on my lap? Otherwise, I'm not sure there's another way around it.

Definitely rest on your lap. First time I played I did the same thing, resting the gamepad somewhere and just using the stylus is far more comfortable.

Like this

explorer-controls-stylus.png

Why not just hold it from the center bottom, just let it rest between your thumb and pointer finger

Conezays

Missing the diary pieces at the end of each level, only to get a star piece, makes me yell unholy things. Is it just me? :p

Niraj

Hoping to finish this weekend. I'm at 81%, done 40 challenge rooms and gotten all gold medals and chests so far. I'm glad that I stretched this out at least over a week. I've been enjoying it.

Missing the diary pieces at the end of each level, only to get a star piece, makes me yell unholy things. Is it just me? :p

No, it's reasonable :p thankfully the one time I did it, I needed to replay to grab a chest anyway. I was still mad though lol

maxcriden

Hoping to finish this weekend. I'm at 81%, done 40 challenge rooms and gotten all gold medals and chests so far. I'm glad that I stretched this out at least over a week. I've been enjoying it.

I wanna get back to the game but MM3D is consuming any individual game time. Maybe I'll play a level today, though. How many hours have you clocked at this point, if I might ask?

leroidys

I beat this game this week, and absolutely LOVED it. To me, the levels that were there are much more fun than Canvas Curse. However... this is one of the rare instances where I think a game being criticised for it's length is justified. The levels that they made are great, but the timed treasure challenges are total ass, and then that's it, as far as I'm aware. They couldn't put in any time trials or races? No other modes that kirby games are so famous for? I have about as much desire to go back through as I do after I beat a visual novel.

Niraj

I wanna get back to the game but MM3D is consuming any individual game time. Maybe I'll play a level today, though. How many hours have you clocked at this point, if I might ask?

I couldn't really say how long I've actually played, since I have spent a fair amount of time idling and/or listening to songs in the music room, but my activity log has a little over 15 hours. I stopped at 7-3 earlier.

Niraj

Finished up today:

Overall it was a bit easy, and I do wish there was more content, but I enjoyed what was there, and really loved the art style and the soundtrack. It's not quite Canvas Curse level, but I did enjoy it very much. The game has a lot of cool ideas too, and I liked the challenge rooms. I'm very glad that they came out with a Canvas Curse follow-up, and I do hope this does well enough to warrant a future iteration.

maxcriden

I couldn't really say how long I've actually played, since I have spent a fair amount of time idling and/or listening to songs in the music room, but my activity log has a little over 15 hours. I stopped at 7-3 earlier.

That's a good chunk of time overall. Also saw your post above. Glad you enjoyed the game.

lt519

Just finished World 2 (I know I'm taking it slow!). I think I plan on doing a world each weekend. Very fun game, enjoying it as much as I did Canvas Curse and I don't mind the lack of power ups. The tank world was short, but any longer it would have over stayed its welcome.

Just finished the story mode at 99%... Got all gold medals, all story book pages, and all treasures. I clocked out at 14:50 according to the activity log. I did spend an hour or two checking out the figurines and listening to the music, but overall I don't see how you can complain about the amount of content you get for the price. And I haven't even touched challenge mode (is that where the final 1% is?).

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. Transformations were really fun, especially the submarine one. Controlling Kirby took some getting used to, but after the first world I didn't have much trouble. People who complain about the controls have no ground to stand on. It's fine if you don't like them, but they absolutely work, and all I can say is get gud! It definitely was one of the more challenging Kirby games, especially if you wanted to find all the goodies, so I appreciated that. Level design was pretty strong throughout as usual and the bosses were fun. Though my one complaint would be the recycled ones in worlds 4-6. I think I like the experimental Kirby games more... Triple Deluxe was alright, but not as fun for me as Mass Attack, Epic Yarn, and Amazing Mirror. I've been meaning to give Tilt'n'Tumble a shot, and I also never got to Return to Dreamland on Wii, so those will probably be my next Kirby games.

Top Bottom