• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse |OT| players gonna clay clay clay clay clay

Beat the first world. And just like Epic Yarn, this is an absolute delight.

What a gorgeous game from the visuals to the soundtrack. I never played Canvas Curse so guiding Kirby strictly via the lines took some getting used to, but I'm moving along pretty quickly now. I don't see how you can play precisely without looking at the gamepad, but I'm hoping I get there as the graphics are stunning on the TV.

Very glad I was unexpectedly able to pick this up thanks to a trade by mgs2master2.

maxcriden

Oh, yay. I finally got to play the game this evening! It's a real treat. Just the first three levels so far. My wife and I switched off levels so I got to watch the TV when she played her level.

A few assorted thoughts:

-it's a sequel to Canvas Curse. It's really. A sequel. To Canvas Curse! I kind of couldn't believe what I was playing. It looks SO good, too. The claymation just looks astonishingly good in person.
-The TV vs. GamePad issue. Yeah, I cannot play without looking at the GamePad the whole time. Those who can, seriously, more power to you. I am very impressed. I just do not have the hand-eye coordination or drawing talent required for that. Plus, as someone said upthread, I dunno how a person could be able to successfully tap Kirby without looking at the GamePad. Then again, I don't know how anyone can play this game without looking at the GamePad the whole time so I'm sure people are just that skilled--I'm just not.
Regardless, the GamePad looks much better than I expected. Maybe because the images are less complex for the eye to take in, but I think it looks a touch better for Off-TV play than Captain Toad did. I think MK8 and NSMBU look similarly very good. I realize the GamePad isn't an HD display but it looks very nice here. The graphics are definitely even better on the TV, though, and there is an admitted disappointment inherent in playing a console game that you are not personally capable of playing on your television (and I suspect most players will not be).
-Levels are definitely long. Probably a bit longer than Canvas Curse, for sure. Unlockables are plentiful which will ensure replay value for us.
-I guess Kirby feels like he moves *slightly* slower along the ropes--or maybe it's just the ropes themselves appearing/disappearing more slowly? Not sure either way, and I suspect not being able to tap enemies to stun them might make the game feel a bit slower to some, but regardless Kirby's tap dash feels plenty fast, at least as fast as in the original.
-Copy abilities are wisely removed, as they were in Epic Yarn. I think they'd feel shoehorned in here and would make the levels too easy.
-The OST is incredible. The Mass Attack Skull Gang remix in one part of the opening. Such joy to hear that track.
-So far, very pleased with this delightful gem of a game. Looking forward to playing more.
-Neiteio, the model viewer is really rad in this game. You're going to love it if you haven't gotten to play the game yet.
-Secret Diary is adorbs.

Is there any point in the medals? Gunning for all the chests and dairies.

You can't milk a Kirby, Focker!

imae

I had heard that there was an alternate control option in this game, where you hold the stylus on the screen and a cursor of the stylus position is displayed on the TV. You then press/hold a button to activate draw, allowing you to focus on the TV while playing.

Is this not the case?

bart64

Banned
Supercambot, you did everything except touch Kirby with the stylus!

Where is all the hype here dudes!? If you liked canvas curse and you're not playing this you're committing a major sin against more than a couple gaming gods. Beware of damnation, an eternity with carmack talking about his new facebook enabled VR game (Wolfenstein 2020: Perfect Vision of Hell).

Sorry, enjoying myself a bit with this.

Weather has delayed my pre-ordered copy. Can't wait till it arrives. Hope the multi-player is fun. Plan on co-oping with my 5 year-old daughter.

Teknoman

Weather has delayed my pre-ordered copy. Can't wait till it arrives. Hope the multi-player is fun. Plan on co-oping with my 5 year-old daughter.

I havent seen a Kirby game with co-op where it isnt fun (or Nintendo game at all for that matter...except maybe DK in certain instances).

That being said, its a pretty fun game period...and yeah the more im getting into it, the more I find myself subconsciously focusing more on the pad than the TV. But I do still look up and down from time to time once I get my bearings.

Anyone else think the sound test screen should've gone full on band? Kirby in the middle with headphones+mic, and with multiplayer color waddle dees with guitar/drum/horn in the back? At any rate, Green Greens in any form never ceases to put a smile on people's face.

I had heard that there was an alternate control option in this game, where you hold the stylus on the screen and a cursor of the stylus position is displayed on the TV. You then press/hold a button to activate draw, allowing you to focus on the TV while playing.

Is this not the case?

not the case

TheMoon

Is this not the case?

You probably misread someone WISHING for that to be in the came as this actually being true.

finalflame

Sigh, GAF, I am so on the fence about this game. On the one hand, I really want it and it looks fantastic. On the other hand, having to play it on the GamePad almost exclusively turns me off a bit, as does the relative brevity of the game. But I notoriously suck when I'm new at a platformer, so maybe it'll be longer for me.

Decisions, decisions. Great to see everyone's overwhelmingly positive impressions, though.

phanphare

Banned
Sigh, GAF, I am so on the fence about this game. On the one hand, I really want it and it looks fantastic. On the other hand, having to play it on the GamePad almost exclusively turns me off a bit, as does the relative brevity of the game. But I notoriously suck when I'm new at a platformer, so maybe it'll be longer for me.

Decisions, decisions. Great to see everyone's overwhelmingly positive impressions, though.

well from my experience playing solely on the gamepad hasn't really bothered me. the game still looks amazing there too in my opinion.

I'll edit this with some gamepad screens in a second

as for the brevity of the game, I can't speak to that yet but I'm thoroughly enjoying myself so far.

edit: gamepad screens
wiiu_screenshot_gamepysuxy.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamepflsf9.jpg

Where can you get it for $40?

that's how much the game costs :p

So a few questions:

1. How long is it? How long to beat has it a 8 hours
2. Is it fun?
3. Is $40 a reasonable price for the game

1. My game log says 6h 40min I just started world 6, I haven't played the challenge mode, and have a ton of stuff to go back and unlock.

2. I think the games a blast to play, co-op has been surprisingly really good. The levels are fun enough to go back for collectables.

3. Yes 40$ is a good price for the game.

If you played and enjoyed canvas curse buy it.

phanphare

Banned
For some reason I was thinking $49.99, not $39.99. Man, that makes this a much easier decision to make. And thanks phanphare for the impressions, the game really does look fantastic in screenshots. I might just pick it up sooner rather than later!

no prob. also fwiw I'm on level 3-2 and I've put in 2h56m so far.

Not really a discount if the MSRP is 40$ to begin with, lol.
Haha, true.

fKhZ5gC.png

For some reason I was thinking $49.99, not $39.99. Man, that makes this a much easier decision to make. And thanks phanphare for the impressions, the game really does look fantastic in screenshots. I might just pick it up sooner rather than later!
Yeah, at that price it's a steal for me. Hoping to pick it up today.

Oh, yay. I finally got to play the game this evening! It's a real treat. Just the first three levels so far. My wife and I switched off levels so I got to watch the TV when she played her level.

A few assorted thoughts:

-it's a sequel to Canvas Curse. It's really. A sequel. To Canvas Curse! I kind of couldn't believe what I was playing. It looks SO good, too. The claymation just looks astonishingly good in person.
-The TV vs. GamePad issue. Yeah, I cannot play without looking at the GamePad the whole time. Those who can, seriously, more power to you. I am very impressed. I just do not have the hand-eye coordination or drawing talent required for that. Plus, as someone said upthread, I dunno how a person could be able to successfully tap Kirby without looking at the GamePad. Then again, I don't know how anyone can play this game without looking at the GamePad the whole time so I'm sure people are just that skilled--I'm just not.
Regardless, the GamePad looks much better than I expected. Maybe because the images are less complex for the eye to take in, but I think it looks a touch better for Off-TV play than Captain Toad did. I think MK8 and NSMBU look similarly very good. I realize the GamePad isn't an HD display but it looks very nice here. The graphics are definitely even better on the TV, though, and there is an admitted disappointment inherent in playing a console game that you are not personally capable of playing on your television (and I suspect most players will not be).
-Levels are definitely long. Probably a bit longer than Canvas Curse, for sure. Unlockables are plentiful which will ensure replay value for us.
-I guess Kirby feels like he moves *slightly* slower along the ropes--or maybe it's just the ropes themselves appearing/disappearing more slowly? Not sure either way, and I suspect not being able to tap enemies to stun them might make the game feel a bit slower to some, but regardless Kirby's tap dash feels plenty fast, at least as fast as in the original.
-Copy abilities are wisely removed, as they were in Epic Yarn. I think they'd feel shoehorned in here and would make the levels too easy.
-The OST is incredible. The Mass Attack Skull Gang remix in one part of the opening. Such joy to hear that track.
-So far, very pleased with this delightful gem of a game. Looking forward to playing more.
-Neiteio, the model viewer is really rad in this game. You're going to love it if you haven't gotten to play the game yet.
-Secret Diary is adorbs.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to this game once my finances are straight.

Neiteio

A few assorted thoughts:

-Secret Diary is adorbs.

Excellent impressions, Max! Tempted to get this as soon as I pull myself away from fishing in Majora's Mask 3D... but that might be a while. ;-)

Playing through world 4. Keep missing the third chest in level 1. Probably will take a break. 55 Lives now.
It is fun, but repetitive.

Finished this last night after two sittings and man, this is such a class act of a video game from top to bottom. The visuals, levels, and mechanics are all so imaginative and thoughtfully designed around how you control Kirby. It’s all so top notch that seeing it coalesce only makes the repeated bosses stand out more.

They’re enjoyable bosses too! They all have fun patterns and test your ability to adapt to obstacles and environments that have it out for you. But having to fight each of them another time is a bit of a downer considering how the rest of the game is either introducing new mechanics, utilizing prior obstacles in a new light, or testing your quick thinking with navigating each new level. I haven't even gotten to how gorgeous the claymation looks or how lovely the music selections, and the insane amount of arranges in the music room, are.

Admittedly, the game does attempt to alter your perspective or approach to those three bosses in different ways the second time around. I think those changes make fighting them again slightly more fresh than it may sound, but they still stand out amongst so many elements that are bursting with imagination. It's really the only qualm I have since everything else in Kirby and The Rainbow Curse is so delightful. Heck, I even thoroughly enjoyed the pacing as levels never felt too long or too short, and I felt satisfied with its overall length as I never thought it reached a point where it was purposely padding itself out. I was always doing something new or something familiar in a new way. This was such a great game.

bart64

Banned
I did that, too, trust me. But he was in the grey zone, so there's no touching him, right?
There's touching and holding, just no drawing.

I just got golf on the first screen of challenges and it may have been the hardest thing I have done in gaming for years. It looks like there is a lot of meat here, I'm hoping more proper levels will open up later. Game is an instant classic for me, my hands were literally shaking when I passed that first survival challenge.

me0wish

I'm I the only one who disliked Canvas Curse but loved Rainbow Curse? I'm at world 2, and I'm loving the hell out of it, imo best 2015 game so far.

Secret diary has to be one of my favorite things, its so charming and cute! it reminds me of Mario Galaxy library, something I was really sad to see go away.

TheMoon

I'm I the only one who disliked Canvas Curse but loved Rainbow Curse? I'm at world 2, and I'm loving the hell out of it, imo best 2015 game so far.

You might actually be the only one. At least you're the first one I see mention that.

Teknoman

Well, I've been lurking this thread since Friday undecided whether I should get this or not but the last few impressions and given me the information I need so thank you all for those. I never did play Canvas so at least I can dive in with no expectations.

"Its fun on a bun" -Bender B. Rodriguez.

maxcriden

Played some more of the game. My wife felt like the drawing mechanic wasn't for her so in a rare turn of events we're playing the game in co-op. I mean, we do play, say, MK8 together, but for SP games we usually just take turns in levels. I knew Canvas Curse was not her thing, but I thought it was worth it for her to try the drawing here anyway with the hope she'd like it better, but no such luck, so we decided to try co-op today.

So, she's playing as Bandana Dee, and I'm playing as Kirby/Elline. We're still getting the hang of co-op but it's really fun! I was concerned it was going to make things game-breakingly easy but it really isn't. We're silver medal-ing the levels so far (up through...2-2 or 2-3? I want to say). Missing most of the treasure chests but not going for them yet really. We'll plan to go back through all the levels to 100% them. My wife is definitely enjoying the game a lot more now. As for the Secret Diary collectibles, we looked at the first page but we'll wait to look at any more till we have it complete. We have been checking out any Models and Songs we've unlocked, though. I luuuurve that the songs from other games say which game they're from. Also! I believe *only* in co-op, you get random Grab Hand escape scenarios where the Dee (or Dees) has to fight off the Grab Hands from capturing and escaping with Kirby, with that same wonderfully catchy Mass Attack remix playing. In fact, I believe these sequences are modeled after those in Mass Attack where you fight off the Skull Gang from absconding with a chest. Really fun!

First boss was decently tough as far as first bosses go, BTW. So that was a welcome surprise. Second World's been pretty neat, very creative and colorful with some really interesting level designs.

Just played through the first world in one sitting, getting all the treasure chests and gold medals. The game is a delight. I didn't even attempt to play using the tv as gameplay is of the utmost importance. The game still looks beautiful, and the music is great. It didn't take long to get accoustomed to the controls, so I'm not really sure what reviewers were bitching about. I look forward to playing more. I never played Canvas Curse before, but I feel like this could be one of the best games of the year.

Yuterald

Yute, it's Sunday. Did you even play Super Bonk this or last week? Seriously ;__:

Ha, I did see your post about Super Bonk in the other thread. I've been meaning to download it and give it a run, but between this game, the Order, and my soon-to-be unsealed copies of Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter IV, I've been sort of distracted! I'll take care of it soon though.

maxcriden

Ha, I did see your post about Super Bonk in the other thread. I've been meaning to download it and give it a run, but between this game, the Order, and my soon-to-be unsealed copies of Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter IV, I've been sort of distracted! I'll take care of it soon though.

Oh, I forgot I asked in the other thread, lol. Yeah, it's a good embarrassment of riches in gaming lately, especially for this time of year. Just started this and MM yesterday so it's been a heck of a gaming weekend!

I think one thing I prefer in Canvas Curse is how it immediately erases your previous Rainbow Line as you draw a new one. In contrast, Rainbow Curse's ropes take their time in disappearing, and I've definitely flubbed up on a few bosses/puzzle pieces thanks to that. I also think Canvas Curse is somewhat faster, but that doesn't really matter to me.

Both titles are pretty neck and neck in quality for me, so far. I love how both titles are so visually distinct, yet I can't help but prefer the clay look. Everything from the clay model viewer to the secret diary pages make my heart melt, and as expected the music is heavenly
(OH MY GOD MILKY WAY WISHES ARRANGEMENT)

Edit: Oh hey, I just found out you could cancel old ropes by drawing new ones through them! I'll have to experiment with this to see if it's practical.

Surfheart

It's mildly annoying that there is no firm release date for this in EU/AUS territories.

I can understand the delay though what with the packed Wii U release schedule.

Top Bottom