• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi (Castlevania) Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC talk

Marz

No more shitty IGA Metroidvania rehashes? This is fantastic news. I'm excited to see where the Castlevania series goes next and I'm glad it won't be the shit it was with IGA at the helm.

Classic Castlevania was great, but it's long gone.
Metroidvania is dead. HURRAY!
Lords of Shadow, a great 3D-action take on the series, is over.

I just hope Konami doesn't take forever to bring it back.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen.

No more shitty IGA Metroidvania rehashes? This is fantastic news. I'm excited to see where the Castlevania series goes next and I'm glad it won't be the shit it was with IGA at the helm.

Classic Castlevania was great, but it's long gone.
Metroidvania is dead. HURRAY!
Lords of Shadow, a great 3D-action take on the series, is over.

I just hope Konami doesn't take forever to bring it back.

God dammit Saki.

LowParry

Hmmmm. This is good. I like this. IGA will have free reign of what he does this time instead of being chained down. I look forward to what he'll do in the future. Kickstarter? Sign me up.

injurai

Banned
WtAncCw.png

http://schedule.gdconf.com/speakers
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828360

Looks like GDC is well aware that Iga has moved on. I really hope we get some details about his next project. His talk is an hour long over the Design aspects and history of Metroidvania like games.

WtAncCw.png

http://schedule.gdconf.com/speakers
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828360

Looks like GDC is well aware that Iga has moved on. I really hope we get some details about his next project. His talk is an hour long over the Design aspects and history of Metroidvania like games.

Posted before but got ignored.
I'm really interested in IGA's GDC talk but I'm obviously not in the situation to attend. Will there be ways to view his talk after the event? It'll be a shame if the video is forever locked behind a paywall in GDCvault or whatever.

injurai

Banned
Posted before but got ignored.

GDC will promote their conferences and put some up for free, typically from past events. Chances are you will have to subscribe unless someone puts it up online. No clue how aggressively they work to take down the videos. These conferences are really meant for other people in the industry, and to enable the spreading of ideas. I think the payment is fair, though its really steep if your not a developer and you want to just see a few.

GDC will promote their conferences and put some up for free, typically from past events. Chances are you will have to subscribe unless someone puts it up online. No clue how aggressively they work to take down the videos. These conferences are really meant for other people in the industry, and to enable the spreading of ideas. I think the payment is fair, though its really steep if your not a developer and you want to just see a few.

Thanks for the reply! Looks like I'll just have to wait and see and cross my fingers then.

I'm sure there'll be people summarising the talk though. Not ideal but I'll take what I can get.

injurai

Banned
Thanks for the reply! Looks like I'll just have to wait and see and cross my fingers then.

I'm sure there'll be people summarising the talk though. Not ideal but I'll take what I can get.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the journalism sites publishes the transcript, but there are a lot of talks being given...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GDC Vault is worth paying for if you're really interested in a lot of the talks, but it's likely that Igarashi's speech will be behind said paywall.

GDC Vault is worth paying for if you're really interested in a lot of the talks, but it's likely that Igarashi's speech will be behind said paywall.

Unfortunately I really am only interested in Igarashi's speech so paying $495 for access is not an option for me.

Terrell

Yukio Futatsugi: Leaves Sega to continue making Panzer Dragoon games (Crimson Dragon.)

Japanese game publishers: No country for old game designers... Nintendo excluded.

Sorry to go off-topic, but for as backwards as everyone says Nintendo is, they're really the only ones in what seems like the whole god-damn industry who know how to actually RETAIN their talent.

injurai

Banned
Sorry to go off-topic, but for as backwards as everyone says Nintendo is, they're really the only ones in what seems like the whole god-damn industry who know how to actually RETAIN their talent.

I'm legitimately shocked by how much talent has remained at Square. Certainly a few have parted, and many of those either Freelance their or subcontract as an affiliate developer.

I feel in the west lead developers change much more frequently over a series lifetime, and developers are eager to take the highest bids that other companies offer. I know sniping talent is really big in the west. Seems like holding a lifetime career is much more associated with Japanese developers.

TreIII

Ain't that the damn truth. You can even say that some of those who the big guys lost was directly to Nintendo's gain (the former Squaresoft talent at AlphaDream [Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi] for example).

More relevant to the topic matter at hand, but remember Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe (Circle of the Moon, among others)? Most of those guys are at Good Feel, now. Konami's loss turned into the likes of Wario Land Shake, Kirby Epic Yarn and the upcoming Yarn Yoshi for Nintendo.

I'm just glad they're still able to make enjoyable games.

Please don't put your name on a Western developer's game that uses it only to boost Kickstarter rates.

Seriously though, I'm excited to see what he does.

Ahasverus

Ain't that the damn truth. You can even say that some of those who the big guys lost was directly to Nintendo's gain (the former Squaresoft talent at AlphaDream [Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi] for example).

More relevant to the topic matter at hand, but remember Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe (Circle of the Moon, among others)? Most of those guys are at Good Feel, now. Konami's loss turned into the likes of Wario Land Shake, Kirby Epic Yarn and the upcoming Yarn Yoshi for Nintendo.

I'm just glad they're still able to make enjoyable games.

Kobe was an amazing studio. Circle of the Moon would be the best MetroidVania if not for Ecclesia.

even in my isolated corner of the world, in the main forums of this country, people are hating on the Los games on the thread about this news, the igavanias have fans all over the world , and they now have the money that they didnt when they were teenagers/kids

Fredrik

the feel of castlevania is all that matters
I think it depends on how close to the original series they can go without getting sued, there is always a risk that the gameplay is great but those finer touches or the soul or whatever is gone to avoid getting sued which makes it feel like you're playing a clone or something that got outsourced.

injurai

Banned
I think it depends on how close to the original series they can go without getting sued, there is always a risk that the gameplay is great but those finer touches or the soul or whatever is gone to avoid getting sued which makes it feel like you're playing a clone or something that got outsourced.

This is why part of me just watch them to ditch the Dracula mythos for a Lovecraftian horror or something else. Let's be honest, we have a good array of these games, might be nice to get a new universe and diversify the genre. A new premise could spawn a bunch of new game mechanics that wouldn't ever be thought of when trying to fit the Vampire theme.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Fantastic news, no more IGAVanias, and MercurySteam is done making LoS games. Maybe now we can get this series back on track.

More like maybe now we can mothball the series for years except for a trickle of mobile platform remakes of 16-bit series entries. Because that's what'll happen now.

Ahasverus

I'm playing CotM right now for the first time, and I and completely surprised that this title is hardly ever talked about.
Because IGA put it under the rug too. He really didn't like what he didn't have a hand on. It is now a gaiden though, in a sense, it's a reboot. In its universe, it's the only Castlevania story. It wasn't really conflicting with IGA's timeline until some point because it happened in the "No Belmonts" period but then.. he needed to make Ecclesia, and then he did the same that he did to Legends when he wanted to make Lament of innocence.. took it out of all records.

injurai

Banned
Because IGA put it under the rug too. He really didn't like what he didn't have a hand on. It is now a gaiden though, in a sense, it's a reboot. In its universe, it's the only Castlevania story. It wasn't really conflicting with IGA's timeline until some point because it happened in the "No Belmonts" period but then.. he needed to make Ecclesia, and then he did the same that he did to Legends when he wanted to make Lament of innocence.. took it out of all records.

Castlevania has always had a fucked up timeline, it's sort of a staple of the series that it can't figure out how to not conflict with the universe at large.

Honestly you get Rondo+SotN and Aria+Dawn. Everything else pretty much is it's own thing and any connection with another title is tenuous at best.

Ahasverus

Castlevania has always had a fucked up timeline, it's sort of a staple of the series that it can't figure out how to not conflict with the universe at large.

Honestly you get Rondo+SotN and Aria+Dawn. Everything else pretty much is it's own thing and any connection with another title is tenuous at best.

Don't forget, CV3 + Curse of Darkness, CV1 + CV2 + Harmonny of Dissonance and then the super retcon plothole factory Bloodlines + Portrait of Ruin.

Dark-VIII

I am happy for him and this mean we can see something from him soon but I can't help but feel sad for my beloved Castlevania Series which I grow up playing :(

Wolff

Great news. Can't wait to see what he comes up with. Hopefully he gets the attention he deserves and is able to make something like Mikami and Inafune are doing with the games that they're famous for.

This is exciting stuff. If anything shows up on kickstarter i'm in.

Foffy

Banned
I am happy for him and this mean we can see something from him soon but I can't help but feel sad for my beloved Castlevania Series which I grow up playing :(

All things end, it is a nature of the universe...and video games.

Cherish what you've always cherished. You still have his legacy now, even if he is no longer on that path with Konami and the franchise. There is a chance he makes a game that is basically Castlevania, though with a different clan, and a different antagonist, and that would be perfect for people like you and I. The best example I can give is the developer Acquire. They made Tenchu, but after losing the rights to the franchise (for such a small series, it went through huge publishers), they made Shinobido. Both feature very, very similarly named clans the protagonist is from (Azuma Ninja, Asuka Ninja...sound very similar ;) ) and both focused on contextual stealth kills. The name changed but the core of the games were shared, maybe even expanded upon. Igarashi has long entertained the idea of vampire hunters dealing with threats besides Dracula. Bam, he has a game concept running in his head for at least seven years, and now he has a full canvas to paint this on. No need to shoehorn it between the 1100's and 1400's.

I am very, very interested in hearing his GDC talk. What timezone does the GDC page post? I am assuming EST, but I feel it's PDT. I thought he was originally going to gear up and talk about the supposed 3DS Castlevania game, but I now wonder if that was even a thing that he had involvement in. I am more interested to see how far along he is with this new company and potentially new project.

rjc571

Banned

It's been over 4 years since the last Castlevania game came out. The series has dead for a long time now.

I'm playing CotM right now for the first time, and I and completely surprised that this title is hardly ever talked about.

CotM was not very enjoyable due to the combination if it's dark graphics and the original GBA's blurry, unlit screen. It put a damper on the reception of the game. When the SP was released, it started to get it's due as it was actually enjoyable with the lit screen.

injurai

Banned
CotM was not very enjoyable due to the combination if it's dark graphics and the original GBA's blurry, unlit screen. It put a damper on the reception of the game. When the SP was released, it started to get it's due as it was actually enjoyable with the lit screen.

Playing it on VirtualBoyAdvanced and the game feels incredibly fresh.

ZeroX03

Banned
Circle of the Moon is my favorite 2D Castlevania. Pretty amazing game. Iga's disowning of it doesn't win me any points with him.

GBA emulation in general can produce some wonderful results. The original GBA didn't show a lot of games in their best light. Also a little better for modern screens at 3:2 rather than 4:3.

4x normal size, no filter
xteEhcP.png

Pixels rendered at 4x
LCCIdNo.png

Pixels rendered at 4x HQ (wouldn't use this particular filter for Castlevania, but other games like MMBN can look fantastic)
92PdHJq.png

Holykael1

Banned
Circle of the Moon is my favorite 2D Castlevania. Pretty amazing game. Iga's disowning of it doesn't win me any points with him.

GBA emulation in general can produce some wonderful results. The original GBA didn't show a lot of games in their best light. Also a little better for modern screens at 3:2 rather than 4:3.

It scales really well when stretched to 16:9 aswell.

Ahasverus

Man that Kotaku interview :(
My respect went to the moon, I see a man getting older who wants to leave his mark. The part about he getting depressed after leaving Cadtlevania broke my heart.

Ahasverus

I asked Iga why he wasn't in charge of Lords of Shadow.
"We made two 3D Castlevania games," he said. "And to be
honest, they didn't turn out so well. Mercury Steam is very
skilled at creating beautiful 3D images, so they were
brought in to develop the game."
In 2010, Konami didn't quite yet have its own game engine
that could handle Castlevania. Remember, this was years
before the Fox Engine.
"Couldn't you still have been in charge?" I asked.
"It would've been difficult, with them in Europe and me in
Japan," he said. "And since the quality for our 3D
Castlevania games wasn't that high, it wasn't really our
place to tell them how to do one. They had that expertise."
"Looking from the outside, I think they did a good job," Iga
said. "But for many fans, they automatically think 2D when
they hear Castlevania. So there's that to overcome."
"When we did our 3D versions, many fans said they
preferred 2D. So because of that, it might be difficult to
make 3D Castlevania games."
"Were you depressed when you were no longer in charge of
Castlevania?" I asked.
"Yes, of course, I was depressed," he replied, grinning. "But,
I am a huge Castlevania fan. I want there to be Castlevania
games for the next one hundred years. I want them to
continue making those games."
"Were you bitter?" I asked.
"Certainly not. I didn't create the franchise. It was
something I worked on."
"But you made it your own."
"Well, this is the next phase of Castlevania," said Iga. "I have
a lot to be grateful for because of Castlevania."
Can we end the war please.

Grief.exe

LCCIdNo.png

That 4x rendered is quite sharp!

ys45

Dat interview ...
I really hope he do a Kickstarter, my money is ready

I think I'm gonna start a new game of order of Ecclesia or Portrait of Ruins .

Holykael1

Banned
Wow.. that interview gives me a lot of hope for the future. I think he severily underestimates the 3d castlevanias he made, while they are not as good as the 2d titles, they were still really good in their own right.

He seems to be hinting at going the Mighty Number 9 route and that's really awesome if he does that. I will throw as much money as I can at him.

Beth Cyra

Can we end the war please.

That won't and shouldn't change whether or not someone likes those games or considers them Castlevania games.

The only thing that it might change is if some how people thought MS were some evil Saturday morning cartoons villains that stole Vania from Iga. However I've never seen anyone say that, if anything it's always been Konami top brass who was fingered and for good reason.

injurai

Banned
Wow.. that interview gives me a lot of hope for the future.

He holds a vivid passion for this series, with being so in touch with the fans and the dynamics core to the series it's clear that he understands what made Metroidvania's better than anyone. I don't think Konami was wrong in trying to reinvigorate Castlevania, but they did so by cutting out Iga and the entire legacy of the series. At least Mega Man never gutted itself each time it was re-imagined. It's so refreshing to hear him talk about in actuality the fundamental reasons for why these games continued to strike chords in fans hearts time again. He knows what it takes, furthermore being passionate to venture out on his own to hold the torch. I'm ecstatic with the developments I'm seeing in the industry. First Obsidian and InXile resurrecting a dead genre, then Inafune taking charge with Comcept and Inti creates. Just here we have 4 new IPs which have unshackled themselves and paved a road ahead to deliver directly to the fans that care. There in the business enjoying what they do, and now Koji Igarashi will be taking similar steps. I certainly hope he tries the kickstarter route first, I'd much rather see him entirely control this future venture.

That won't and shouldn't change whether or not someone likes those games or considers them Castlevania games.

The only thing that it might change is if some how people thought MS were some evil Saturday morning cartoons villains that stole Vania from Iga. However I've never seen anyone say that, if anything it's always been Konami top brass who was fingered and for good reason.

Eh, I think most knew it was Konami's decision, not that it was something Mercury Steam "stole" from IGA.

Beth Cyra

IGA does.

Thats great, it's his opinion and just like him others have their own.

If your opinion is so weak that you are completely willing to change it on a whim because of someone voicing their own then you shouldn't bother speaking up in the first place.

Iga also said that LoI and CoD where not good games and worse then LoS1 and2, and I don't agree with that either.

Eh, I think most knew it was Konami's decision, not that it was something Mercury Steam "stole" from IGA.

Yeah, I said that in the next sentence.

Top Bottom