• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi (Castlevania) Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC talk

injurai

Banned
Care to elaborate with some examples? I think I understand what you might be saying here, but I can't help but think the differences between the nature of being on a console and being on a portable may play into the presentation aspect, in which case I agree somewhat. Audio, for example, never quite reached the high standard set by SotN due to hardware constraints associated with the GBA and DS sound capabilities. Besides that though, I felt that everything else was improved on gradually as the series evolved. Order of Ecclesia seemed like the culmination of those learned lessons to me. I honestly can't think where SotN's attention to detail was somehow more robust than OoEs (both were top notch, or at least they seemed to be to me).

Yeah sound, art direction. I'm a huge sucker for atmosphere and filling in the details with my imagination. Just sort of felt SotN really enabled that. It one the most powerful system that a Metroidvania has graced, and the deviation from Kojima's art on the two DS titles didn't work as well as the other styles had done for me. I think playing as a Vampire, and just feeling that role was awesome. Even if the balance wasn't as strong as other entries. I'm very much the explorer type player in games, I like just seeing the setting and being part of it. I think the game just clicked for me in those regards. Which is why I was saying in some regards Sotn still does some things best. Not to say there weren't ever improvements. It's just we never got a game of that calibre again because the series went handheld.

Nicko

Anyone heard any new information from IGA, his new studio, or project?

Also, any video uploads of his GDC talk?

Top Bottom