• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi (Castlevania) Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC talk

Silky

Banned
FUCKING YES. /YESSSSSSSSSS./

Tak Fuji and Kojima are the last two left. Come on, get out of that fucking hellhole

Raide

Announces new Castlevania style game...

...for iOS /s

Good news for him. Now he can get working on the games he actually wants to make

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The opposite. You won't see a MVania game from him anymore, unless it's under a different IP.

That being said, if he left on decent terms, he might be able to team up with Konami in the future.

Oh man, all those Igavanias they were churning out at Konami! I'll sure as hell miss them.

Fuck Konami. Everything they touch turns to crap nowadays. Iga won't make any new Castlevania games, but he'll definitely make something new that's just as good, or even better.

Best news ever.

-KRS-

The opposite. You won't see a MVania game from him anymore, unless it's under a different IP.

That being said, if he left on decent terms, he might be able to team up with Konami in the future.

Obviously people are hoping he will make a new IP in the style of a metroidvania now that he's free to do what he wants.

bobawesome

Announces new Castlevania style game...

...for iOS /s

Good news for him. Now he can get working on the games he actually wants to make
Oh hey, it's the same tired joke that's been beaten to death a thousand times in far more clever ways.

Wow. The scores for the latest Castlevania were the straw that broke the camel's back.
This is potentially great news.
No reason to skulk around in Konami's shadow any longer.
So many key figures leaving their roosts to strike out on their own in Japan!

NIN90

Now he can remake the same game over and over on his own.

1346512449841.jpg

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My dream of a Harmony of Despair sequel. Oh man. :( I mean, can Konami still decide to make a 2D Vania? They can still decide to make one later down the line I'm sure.

Expected, and probably for the best. Sad that this is basically the official end to him working on Castlevania, but, I mean, it was pretty easy to see that Konami probably wasn't putting him back on it any time soon.

Hopefully we see some new games from him in the near future.

Peff

Yamane left Konami in 2008 and has made music for non-Konami games like that iOS Mushihimesama and Skullgirls.

Yeah, I meant to his new studio, not leaving Konami. Although Kojima is supposed to still be working there, but I don't think she's been credited on anything past the downloadable sprite remix thing?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, you know what? As soon as the inevitable Kickstarter is up, I'm kicking a few hundred bucks to Pastichevania.

Between this and Mighty No. 9, it's delightful to see these decrepit publishers given the finger.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good on him.

He won't say it pubically but this is basically a Fuck You Konami for relegating me to the dungeons.

I eagerly anticipate his first project!

Obviously people are hoping he will make a new IP in the style of a metroidvania now that he's free to do what he wants.

I just want him to make another one with the Castlevania theme.

Not that I'm getting tired of that genre, but I hope he branches out. He has some good chops.

Murrah

Banned
Iga seems like a really nice guy, and I'm glad he's out of Konami janitorial duties. But it does suck that there'll never be an Igavania on 3DS or Vita. I mean, I knew the chances were slim to none even when he was still there, but now the dream's completely dead

That being said I'll kickstart the shit out of a gothic themed metroidvania from you Iga, again preferably on a handheld

On the negative side, they'll have to make all new art for it. But on the plus side, their budget should be higher now.
He's doing a metroidvania talk at gdc, no?

Konami's "Franchises to Kill" List:

C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶a̶
S̶i̶l̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶
C̶a̶s̶t̶l̶e̶v̶a̶n̶i̶a̶
Metal Gear

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm unsure how people read the title, the OP, and the fact he's doing a Metroidvania GDC session and come up with "I bet he's making an f2p iOS town builder, harumph."

Eusis

Given that Metroidvania isn't an IP but a fan term for a type of game, usually a type of game structure, yeah, it's probably safe to say he's likely to make more Metroidvanias but not Castlevanias.
Iga seems like a really nice guy, and I'm glad he's out of Konami janitorial duties. But it does suck that there'll never be an Igavania on 3DS or Vita. I mean, I knew the chances were slim to none even when he was still there, but now the dream's completely dead

That being said I'll kickstart the shit out of a gothic themed metroidvania from you Iga, again preferably on a handheld
It's crazy how the GBA and DS both got three of those, while the 3DS only got one, more Prince of Persia-esque platformer from Mercurysteam that probably should've just been a digital download on consoles in the first place. Really shows how third parties are faltering on the 3DS compared to the GBA/DS, and in some ways Konami might be one of the better ones.

entremet

After he makes ZOE3 and Cobra Unit.

Aka never :.(

I think he's leaves after Phantom Pain.

I'm pretty sure a bit frustrated with MGS everything after all. There's also a precedence amongst his contemporaries--Kamiya and Mikami for example.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm unsure how people read the title, the OP, and the fact he's doing a Metroidvania GDC session and come up with "I bet he's making an f2p iOS town builder, harumph."

I'm willing to bet that's where you got confused.

Given that Metroidvania isn't an IP but a fan term for a type of game, usually a type of game structure, yeah, it's probably safe to say he's likely to make more Metroidvanias but not Castlevanias.

I meant to clarify that. CVanias, not MVanias.

I should read what I write before I hit reply!

Top Bottom