• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi (Castlevania) Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC talk

entremet

why would Kojima leave? He has his own studio, and despite what he constantly says about moving on, all he seemingly wants to do is make MGS games so he's pretty much set.

He's always talked about doing crazy creative stuff. Remember the zombie game he talked about. It was pretty wacky.

He's seems also very auteurish, so I would think he may be tired of MGS. Most creatives want to do new things, not always revisit the old.

The MGS games may feed his ego since he gets so much money to work with them, however. Something most developers don't have.

Tiu Neo

Goodbye, good exploration/metrovania Castlevanias.

Hello, new metrovania series.

At least now he can't recycle sprites.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
And NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! because it will have to be a different IP and not Castlevania, that saddens me but oh well.. I'll take what I can get.

I just wish it will be something with an incredible atmosphere, soundtrack and feel like Castlevania.

Castlevania has been dead to me since Mercury Steam took it over. It had its time and place, but I really feel like it's time to move on. IGA will show us the way.

Castef

Banned
Kojima works on Metal Gear games because he wants to. Konami cannot force him to work in more Metal Gear games, and if they do he can just quit the company. But he won't. He doesn't seem to want to leave Konami despite being "oh-so-forced" to work on Metal Gear only.

If Kojima truly, TRULY wanted the series to keep going without him, he would threat Konami or leave Konami altogether. Many publishers would pay millions to have Kojima in their ranks, and even if they didn't he could fund his own studio outside of Konami.

Whenever Kojima says he wants to "abandon Metal Gear", I don't believe him.

Actually, I imagine Kojima joining Sony in the future.

502t7d8f.gif

Mighty Numbervania incoming.
Fucking Konami, now someone save Contra inspired games next.

Surprised at the response in this thread.

People are aware IGA was brought in fairly late as a programmer on Symphony of the Night and was bumped up to Assistant Producer when it was practically done, right? His contribution to the game was minimal at best.

He's basically been riding on that game's popularity by repeatedly creating sloppier and sloppier clones of it on handhelds while flailing desperately at transitioning the series to 3-D (which the N64 games, of which he had no involvement, did better). The guy was more than happy to take full credit for turning a horror-themed tough-as-nails platformer series into a series of increasingly bland anime adventure games.

Don't get me wrong, Konami is a shithole, but expecting Igarashi's work to suddenly get good now? Not gonna happen. Expect the worst of the SotN Clones with none of the Castlevania charm.

Order of Ecclesia is one of the best 'vania games ever and he was in charge of it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Konami needs to hire his new company to make the next Metroidvania for 3DS, and then all will be right in the world!!

If he could make these games at Konami he would have been doing so, obviously.

I'm pretty sure his first choice isn't "Hey I want to be a producer on Leed-Mees."

Umi88

was hoping to see a metroidvania 2D castlevania from him on 3DS.. as people have said bad and good news at the same time.

Fantastic news, no more IGAVanias, and MercurySteam is done making LoS games. Maybe now we can get this series back on track.

I can get behind this post. Didn't really want anymore Metroidvania games, and while I liked the Lords of Shadow series I do enjoy seeing Castlevania change and morph around as the series progresses. No Igarashi and no more Lords of Shadow games means we can see something new.

Surprised at the response in this thread.

People are aware IGA was brought in fairly late as a programmer on Symphony of the Night and was bumped up to Assistant Producer when it was practically done, right? His contribution to the game was minimal at best.

He's basically been riding on that game's popularity by repeatedly creating sloppier and sloppier clones of it on handhelds while flailing desperately at transitioning the series to 3-D (which the N64 games, of which he had no involvement, did better). The guy was more than happy to take full credit for turning a horror-themed tough-as-nails platformer series into a series of increasingly bland anime adventure games.

Don't get me wrong, Konami is a shithole, but expecting Igarashi's work to suddenly get good now? Not gonna happen. Expect the worst of the SotN Clones with none of the Castlevania charm.

I've heard the opposite, and that this account misrepresents what actually happened. It would be cool to know the real story.

Codeblue

The opposite. You won't see a MVania game from him anymore, unless it's under a different IP.

That being said, if he left on decent terms, he might be able to team up with Konami in the future.

He could wait for Konami to green light it or leave and do it himself. Given that Konami is awful, I think he did the right thing.

Now finally we can have that unofficial pseudo-castlevania/pseudo-megaman crossover we always dreamt about!

Who does provide him Mr. Inafune phone number?

kmax

Konami's just getting worse and worse. MGS is really the only thing they have going right now, and even that they're fucking up big time.

What the hell happened to them? I'm astonished how good they are at driving away talent.

Holykael1

Banned
Now he can remake the same game over and over on his own.

If that's all you took away from the amazing gba and ds entries, I feel sad for you. While they share the same basis they all have ultimately CRUCIAL defining features and "personalities" of their own. That's an half assed shallow conclusion if I ever saw one.

Looking forward to a new Igavania from him, just a shame it won't be with the Castlevania IP.

Still better that than him just being locked in his office til he died.

Alfredo

I guess we'll never get that 1999 game.

But if he does another Metroidvania game, this time we'll get all new sprites since he can't reuse any Castlevania assets!

I can get behind this post. Didn't really want anymore Metroidvania games, and while I liked the Lords of Shadow series I do enjoy seeing Castlevania change and morph around as the series progresses. No Igarashi and no more Lords of Shadow games means we can see something new.

I think Castlevania is dead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Konami's just getting worse and worse. MGS is really the only thing they have going right now, and even that they're fucking up big time.

What the hell happened to them?

They're primarily a social-mobile company these days that has a few leftover console series.

AlucardGV

Banned

uhm, definitely not classicvania, but i'm sure you already know. they'll probably keep trying with the 3d action and keep failing miserably.

well at least he'll be able to make the games he wants and no more toilet cleaning to do, good for him

Hesemonni

Banned
Is it too early to start Vita port begging?

I've never backed a kickstarter, but I swear if he does something Metroidvania related and it even resembles something of a half decent product I'm going to be all over it. Love the guy.

Retro

Order of Ecclesia is one of the best 'vania games ever and he was in charge of it.

I wouldn't put it over any of the ClassicVania games except Simon's Quest. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it only stands out so much because of what came before it. Increasing the difficulty and breaking up the map into more linear fragments was the first major gameplay shift away from SotN, and it's telling that they're both steps back towards the classic series.

Iga was the morning sun that could have vanquished the horrible night of current Castlevania games.

But I'm really curious regarding a new IP from him.

Top Bottom