• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima teases new Death Stranding trailer for later today

The guy is a genius no doubt, He created one of the most loved franchises (MGS) I love his work in MGS1-4, hated 5 with passion. I feel he is over-obsessed with movie industry and this obsession is ruining his gaming side. Also I feel like he solely takes all the credit in the games despite being one contributing member of the team..just like CR7.

How is his movie obsession hurting his gaming side? MGSV was the most video gamey ass video game of 2015. If anything, the rest of the game industry is obsessed with chasing film, while Kojima is trying to do the opposite.

Also, about Kojima.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=23671

He takes substantial credit because he works in everything, and he's basically an expert in all fields when it comes to game development. Does he have a huge ego? Fuck yeah he does, but he has the skills to back up his self-importance.

Kojima also wouldn't be as famous if he was quiet and reserved about his expertise. He definitely wouldn't have landed such a huge deal with Sony if no one cared about him.

dracula_x

How is his movie obsession hurting his gaming side? MGSV was the most video gamey ass video game of 2015. If anything, the rest of the game industry is obsessed with chasing film, while Kojima is trying to do the opposite.

Also, about Kojima.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=23671

He takes substantial credit because he works in everything, and he's basically an expert in all fields when it comes to game development. Does he have a huge ego? Fuck yeah he does, but he has the skills to back up his self-importance.

Kojima also wouldn't be as famous if he was quiet and reserved about his expertise. He definitely wouldn't have landed such a huge deal with Sony if no one cared about him.
Yes. Andrew House personally invited Kojima to work with Sony and that means a lot.

Having read the article, you're taking liberties with the wording of "expert". At best, he is an ideas man that knows fundamentals and principles but nowhere does it says that he contributes to the development of said fields (actually programming, or creating assets). He probably knows what "global illumination" or "dynamic music" means, but i cant find mentions to his actual contribution to such work in this article. He falls in line with what a director would do: he tells others his ideas and they build it from his critique and revisions. I do believe that he edits trailers and has a larger hand in marketing since his cinematic influences give him a better understanding of the language of film. Ultimately, he has been lucky that japanese work culture accentuates the "effort" of leaders.

Edit: and jesus, using -san in an english article is cringy as fuck.

DevilFox

Wow. Just wow. A trailer for the logo, how do I even comment this? Wake me when he actually has something to show about the game, even a concept art. Thank you.

Given that the next Kojima game won't appear before, like, 2019/20 earliest, this seems rather silly to me :/

Same goes for a trailer for friggin' action figures (!) for a game company logo (!!) that didn't ship a single game yet (!!!). I like a lot of Kojimas work, but the cult around him is so overblown.

Yes. Andrew House personally invited Kojima to work with Sony and that means a lot.

Like, marketing? It was a damn smart move. Then, of course, there's a history of a good relationship between PlayStation and Kojima, it made sense for both.

I feel like Kojima has too big of a head about his stuff. I feel like Kojima is one of those cases where when someone acts like they are a profound genius, some people start believing it and then a circle of followers are created.

like trump ;)

Never did I once stop to consider this, but ever since the David Hayter Game Informer Show interview I've been giving this some thought. Shame on me really for jumping on the internet bandwagon and saying "Fuck Konami" and not realizing that "hey, there are always two sides to a story"

The way Hayter was just cast aside, how he (Hayter) insinuated that perhaps Kojima felt that Hayter was a bigger star and more closely associated with the Metal Gear brand and perhaps Kojima felt threatened. How they never truly worked closely together or that they weren't necessarily friendly etc.

Ever since that interview I've wondered if Kojima does have a big head, he's pretentious certainly and Sony thought he was a big enough star to recruit him -and hopefully some of his long time staff- but it does make you wonder.

Why would Konami just act the way they did towards this man? Just to spite him? Did someone in upper management have an axe to grind with Kojima and if yes, why? A corporation doesn't do what Konami did to Kojima unless Kojima did something to warrant such action. Konami actively went out of their way to fuck Kojima.

Why? Maybe he is KojimaDiva.

No before folks come at me, I'm not questioning Kojima and his team as awesome devs. Of course they are, they've made some of my favorite games of all time. I'm just saying that perhaps things aren't as they seem. Don't just take stuff at face value, always question.

Never did I once stop to consider this, but ever since the David Hayter Game Informer Show interview I've been giving this some thought. Shame on me really for jumping on the internet bandwagon and saying "Fuck Konami" and not realizing that "hey, there are always two sides to a story"

The way Hayter was just cast aside, how he (Hayter) insinuated that perhaps Kojima felt that Hayter was a bigger star and more closely associated with the Metal Gear brand and perhaps Kojima felt threatened. How they never truly worked closely together or that they weren't necessarily friendly etc.

Ever since that interview I've wondered if Kojima does have a big head, he's pretentious certainly and Sony thought he was a big enough star to recruit him -and hopefully some of his long time staff- but it does make you wonder.

Why would Konami just act the way they did towards this man? Just to spite him? Did someone in upper management have an axe to grind with Kojima and if yes, why? A corporation doesn't do what Konami did to Kojima unless Kojima did something to warrant such action. Konami actively went out of their way to fuck Kojima.

Why? Maybe he is KojimaDiva.

No before folks come at me, I'm not questioning Kojima and his team as awesome devs. Of course they are, they've made some of my favorite games of all time. I'm just saying that perhaps things aren't as they seem. Don't just take stuff at face value, always question.

Let me remind you of how Konami treats their employees

Kojima Productions is now known as “Number 8 Production Department.” Its computers have no internet access and can only send messages between internal computers.

Employees that leave the office during lunch beak are monitored with time cards. Those who return late have their names announced throughout the company.

There are cameras in the office corridors to monitor the movements of Konami’s employees.

Most Konami employees don’t have their own permanent company e-mail addresses. Staff who deal with people outside the company, such as public relations, do, however, everyone else’s e-mail is routinely randomized and changed every few months.

Konami developers who aren’t seen as useful are reassigned duties such as security guards, cleaning staff at fitnes clubs, or roles at pachi-slot machine factories. This includes producers who worked on big titles. In 2013, Japanese newspaper Asahi News reported on a former Konami employee who allegedly went from development to working in a Konami pachi-slot factory, which led him into severe depression.

After announcing on Facebook that he was leaving Konami for a new job, Konami monitored said former employee’s social media post and reshuffled those within the company that “Liked” it.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/nikkei-report-bad-things-happening-konami

Drencrom

He chose his entrance music actually and I loved the whole thing! He deserves a red carpet the next time he enters a stage.

Yeah, Andy house and Shawn Layden go to choose their entrance music too. I'm pretty sure the whole spectacle with the panels coming beneath his feet wasn't his idea though as he walked too fast up to the stage lol

Koozek

Yeah, Andy house and Shawn Layden go to choose their entrance music too. I'm pretty sure the whole spectacle with the panels coming beneath his feet wasn't his idea though as he walked too fast up to the stage lol
He explained the reason for that on the recent HideoTube episode:
https://youtu.be/cmuL-DOvCiU?t=33m4s

Basically, in the rehearsal they matched the lights' timing to the music, but in the actual show they used the orchestra which played in a slightly different tempo. He figured he couldn't just stop in the middle to catch up so he kept going.

Top Bottom