• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami takes down Super Bunnyhop video (Kojima vs Konami) with copyright strike

I know we keep on saying this, but Konami just keeps on going deeper and deeper, even when you think it can't get any worse. At this point, we should demand that Konami give a public apology to all of its fans and Kojima Productions, though there's little hope of that ever happening.

jackal27

Banned
This is some BULL. How can you screw up this bad? What exactly was infringing on their copyright in that video? I don't remember seeing anything in there that could possibly be classified as that.

I am DONE supporting this publisher. I'm cashing out Konami. It was a good run, but you're not who you used to be.

Steez

We are formless. We are the very discipline and morality that gamers invoke so often. How can anyone hope to eliminate us? As long as video games exist, so will we. Don't you know that our plans have your interests - not ours - in mind? The birth of three dimensional entertainment was completed late last century. As a result, the evolution of game design lay open to us. We started with simple geometry, but in the end we achieved near photorealism itself.

But, there are things not covered by photorealism.

Human memories, ideas. Culture. History. Polygons don't contain any record of human history. Is it something that should not be passed on? Should that information be left at the mercy of nature? We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books... But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, downgrades, slander... all this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down gaming progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context. The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths.

Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Billions spent on yearly installments of games where you murder other humans.

Criminals have more digital rights than legitimate consumers.

Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to revive dead, bloated franchises.

Everyone grows up being told the same thing. Be nice to other people... but beat out the competition!

You're special. Believe in yourself and you will succeed. But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed.

You exercise your right to post and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. Everyone withdraws into their own small, gated community threads, afraid of the larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of NeoGAF at large. The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right. Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth".

And this is the way gaming ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

We're trying to stop that from happening. It's our responsibility as a publisher. Just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate the evolution of the medium. Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrieve valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations?

That's what it means to create context.

PuXhRvM.gif

Beautiful.

facelike

We are formless. We are the very discipline and morality that gamers invoke so often. How can anyone hope to eliminate us? As long as video games exist, so will we. Don't you know that our plans have your interests - not ours - in mind? The birth of three dimensional entertainment was completed late last century. As a result, the evolution of game design lay open to us. We started with simple geometry, but in the end we achieved near photorealism itself.

But, there are things not covered by photorealism.

Human memories, ideas. Culture. History. Polygons don't contain any record of human history. Is it something that should not be passed on? Should that information be left at the mercy of nature? We've always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols... from tablets to books... But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, downgrades, slander... all this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down gaming progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context. The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths.

Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Billions spent on yearly installments of games where you murder other humans.

Criminals have more digital rights than legitimate consumers.

Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to revive dead, bloated franchises.

Everyone grows up being told the same thing. Be nice to other people... but beat out the competition!

You're special. Believe in yourself and you will succeed. But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed.

You exercise your right to post and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. Everyone withdraws into their own small, gated community threads, afraid of the larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of NeoGAF at large. The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right. Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth".

And this is the way gaming ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

We're trying to stop that from happening. It's our responsibility as a publisher. Just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate the evolution of the medium. Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrieve valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations?

That's what it means to create context.

PuXhRvM.gif

Your responsibility as a publisher?
Is this from one of the MG games?

Jesus Christ Konami, how petty can you get? I'm now very conflicted on buying MGSV new. On one hand I want to show my support to Kojima Productions and all their effort they've done, but on the other hand I really don't want whatever percentage of my copy funding a screw of some stupid pachinko slop machine, or for some suit's small change.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Under what grounds did Konami try to censor the video? Did he use footage from their games or something? I 'watched' it, but with most YT videos I just listen to them in the background while I work. No idea what images or footage he showed.
He had some footage from P.T. and a few seconds of cutscenes from various MGS games. Which is ironic considering Konami repped his Metal Gear Solid 3 review video in many of its official outlets.

This is depressing. What is konami thinking honestly. Profit I guess to answer my own question. Hope Kojima gathers up his whole team and continue to make the games they love.

MSG5 wasn't made by one person.
It was made by Kojima and his team. I get that people are upset at Konami, but the people who worked years to make the game should get credit and be recognized for their efforts.

Alas it seems from most reports that the majority are contractors so about that.....

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It was made by Kojima and his team. I get that people are upset at Konami, but the people who worked years to make the game should get credit and be recognized for their efforts.
The people who made the game will be paid regardless of how well or bad the game sells. They are also getting fired regardless of how well or bad the game sells. You are only encouraging Konami to keep doing what they are doing if you buy the game.

That whole team is getting/got shit canned.

Once that game is out they are either getting moved around or getting some menial job that forces them to quit.

Fuck Konami, they don't care about Metal Gear and are already planning on running this series into the ground once Kojima is out.

Buy it used.

Stuart444

Will any gaming website pick this story up? Taking down the video seems very suspect. But with the image posted on news sites, it might force Konami to answer. (thought we all know what they would probably say. "The claims are false, etc etc. We just took down the video because of false information, etc")

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Streisand effect.

How so? Konami doesn't give a shit about video games anymore. People will still buy MGSV in droves because its over. This is it. It's done. So people will want the last one and Konami will get their money while saying that you can go fuck yourself.

Them doing this has no effect on Konami because Konami is already done with you, gaming and anything else related to it.

What, do they get a gold star for every million copies a game they worked on sells?

I doubt Kojipro is going to see any sort of monetary reward or bonuses if the game sells well. If there is any way for anyone to prove otherwise, I will gladly buy the game new so the people actually responsible get something out of it. Beyond that, I'm sure that people just playing the game and enjoying it is credit enough to the people behind the scenes, so I will buy it used to give them that much and to avoid helping fund a new health club or whatever.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This was a expertly calculated move on the part of Konami that will only have good effect on their image in the near and far future.

Trogdor1123

Are they trying to make people hate them? Seriously, they must be trying to do something. How are they not getting attacked by all the publications for their shenanigans?

Tizoc

The people who made the game will be paid regardless of how well or bad the game sells. They are also getting fired regardless of how well or bad the game sells. You are only encouraging Konami to keep doing what they are doing if you buy the game.

The average consumer likely won't care; my brother won't care especially as he is the one buying MGS5.
If you want to get a game used someone will still give their money to Konami first, and what if the game ends up being good that the owner DOESN'T want to sell it off?

You keep talking about getting MGS5 used, when you forget what the game you're saying that about is.

Besides for all the shit you guys give EA and Ubisoft, their games still sell really well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The average consumer likely won't care; my brother won't care especially as he is the one buying MGS5.
If you want to get a game used someone will still give their money to Konami first, and what if the game ends up being good that the owner DOESN'T want to sell it off?

You keep talking about getting MGS5 used, when you forget what the game you're saying that about is.

Besides for all the shit you guys give EA and Ubisoft, their games still sell really well.
No, I'm saying people shouldn't buy the game if they are as outraged as they claim to be. Or watch a let's play, I dunno.

Most of that team is gone and will still get paid regardless. New game sales go primarily to the publisher anyway for these big companies. I'm sure the game will be great but, sending Konami the message "We still like you no matter what you do. Here is some money." isn't good.

It will sell well anyway so why give Konami the pleasure when you can probably get the game used a few days after it's out or brand new on eBay or something.

SerTapTap

On the other hand, there's probably basically no one directly involved who will be getting royalties, coders and stuff never get that. And if Konami is done with traditional gaming everyone involved will probably be laid off or transferred anyway. Not sure anyone relevant is really harmed by not buying the game new.

No, I'm saying people shouldn't buy the game if they are as outraged as they claim to be.

Yeah; if people don't like Konami's actions then they really shouldn't reward them with their money regardless of how much they want the game.

I wonder after all this shite whether Kojima and his team have any fiscal bonuses attached to the game hitting certain sales milestones.

There need to be monetary repercussions for abusing the copyright system to silence critics.

If there were hefty fines for filing false claims, this would stop.
Would it count as libel in a way (you're saying the person is violating copyright when they are not)? Speaking of which couldn't Konami themselves say the accusations stated in the video were libel as well...

Libel is a bloody mess of a thing.

Tizoc

No, I'm saying people shouldn't buy the game if they are as outraged as they claim to be. Or watch a let's play, I dunno.

Ah OK then.

On the other hand, there's probably basically no one directly involved who will be getting royalties, coders and stuff never get that. And if Konami is done with traditional gaming everyone involved will probably be laid off or transferred anyway. Not sure anyone relevant is really harmed by not buying the game new.

Looking at that way, you would be seeing MGS5 as more of a product than a game. Yes it is both, but let me ask this why were you interested in MGS5 in the first place?
Was the interest just to hang out with the cool kids and be excited for new entry in popular game franchise, or is it just that absurd yet fun MGS experience?

Me I'm in it for the Sheep Fultoning.

Exr

Almost about to cancel my mgsV CE.... One more thing Konami....
Yeah with that username and avy Im sure youll wait for MGSV. Why are there so many people saying (bullshitting) that they wont get MGSV out of spite? Its dumb and youre only gonna expose yourself later when you grab the game
I would love a compiled list of everyone saying they wont get the game just to see whos full of shit.

Top Bottom