• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Halo is releasing on Windows 10 as part of new Xbox + Win10 initiative

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
87Xh6jD.gif

SOR5

ugh. what a terrible move. why the fuck did we buy the xbone then ? why buy the scropio box when its out ?

Heres how Microsoft sees it

You're either a PC gamer and will game on Windows 10
You're either a console gamer and want a console
Or you want both for, reasons

PC gamer will use Windows 10
Console gamer will buy Scorpio running Windows 10 (branded as Xbox)

Both markets exist, both markets can be potentially attracted, both markets are conjoined under Windows 10

Xbox is the gaming brand, Windows 10 is the ecosystem and software, and getting people into that ecosystem matters massively (see: literally any windows 10 news recently)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So MS will soon have a XB1, a Xb1 Slim, a XB1.5 on the market but I can play all of their games on a PC? I dont really get it

Anyway. Master Chief Collection W10 version incoming @ E3

The idea is basically that you can play their games on your Microsoft device of choice, whether that be a dedicated device or a PC running their operating system and bought through their storefront.

JordanN

Banned
Why wouldn't you? Especially after this decision.

Why didn't all the NES, SEGA Genesis or PS1 owners buy PC's? I think there are people who only want to own a dedicated game system and it's going to be like this forever.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ugh. what a terrible move. why the fuck did we buy the xbone then ? why buy the scropio box when its out ?

You bought it because you like their console? How does their games appearing on PC (on their OS) matter? If you prefer consoles, you simply buy them there.

They just need to get their PC act together with their ports. Or this plan isn't going to work very well.

Rozart

O wow. I don't know why but I was always firmly in the camp that MS would keep their most treasured franchise exclusively locked down onto their home consoles. Was not expecting this at all.

They really are going all in into the PC gaming.

Why didn't all the NES, SEGA Genesis or PS1 owners buy PC's? I think there are people who only want to own a dedicated game system.

Hell, that's exactly what MS appears to be about to rebrand the Xbox into - the thing you buy just because computers are too much of a hassle/eyesore.

Saty

Yeah, the 6th entry in the series is going to be the perfect jumping point for newcomers.

Still baffling they haven't shown signs of bringing MCC and Halo 5 to PC and in fact alluded against it.

When did they announce Gears 4 for PC ?????

They haven't officially. I'd argue that Gears Remastered being on PC is a very strong hint at Gears 4 for PC though. I saw that as the developer getting experience with releasing on PC. Same with Forza Apex.

link1201

Why didn't all the NES, SEGA Genesis or PS1 owners buy PC's? I think there are people who only want to own a dedicated game system and it's going to be like this forever.
*Raises hand. I've been buying Xboxes for Halo since the beginning I'm not going to stop now. I can't be bothered with trying to get games to play on a computer.

FelipeMGM

The idea is basically that you can play their games on your Microsoft device of choice, whether that be a dedicated device or a PC running their operating system and bought through their storefront.

I get that, but what I dont get is why spend all that R&D money on multiple boxes? They soon will be flooding the market with a bunch of devices that basically do the same thing.

Akai__

Is this about Halo Wars 2, because it sure sounds like it.

Here is also a quote from Stinkles kinda hinting at future games:

Both audiences deserve better than that, as you'll see with Halo Wars 2 onwards, which was designed with Xbox AND PC in mind from scratch and makes the most of each platform's relative strengths.

Yeah, certainly lines up with what Frank O'Connor was implying earlier.

Halo Wars 2 was built from the ground up for PC and console and, without committing to anything else in this thread, is a better example of what to expect from 343 and PC support in the future.

so whos gonna buy the scropio when every game is on pc anyways ? unless all games run like quantum break on pc

A lot of people. I know for sure that someone like my brother or many of my friends have 0 desire to build a PC or deal with anything like that. They want to buy a device and plug it in and play games. Ofc that's anecdotal, but there will still be a market of people who want consoles.

danmaku

More people being able to play their games can only be good. I don't care for Halo or Forza, but Scalebound would be nice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get that, but what I dont get is why spend all that R&D money on multiple boxes? They soon will be flooding the market with a bunch of devices that basically do the same thing.
It's kind of like how you can get an iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, iPad Pro, Apple TV, or Macbook, and some of those have significant overlap.

farisr

I guess this is good news for me. With Halo having ditched splitscreen already and now coming to PC, I honestly have no (big) reason to keep an xbox one anymore. Time to sell I guess.

Kysen

I can't take that Oculus partnership comment seriously, why would Facebook want to share their platform with Microsoft?

I am all for this approach by MS, they are saying for the avg consumer here is some mid tier hardware that is plug and play but if you want to go Super Saiyen and build a high end PC then install Windows 10 and stay in our ecosystem of games and content.

By making Xbox a part of the Windows 10 platform, it's the one avenue MS has an advantage over Sony.

I sold my Xbox One a few weeks ago in anticipation of this and it's looking like a very smart move to go with a PC/PS4 (Neo) combo over having a Xbox One

MrBenchmark

Such a baffling decision. Can't imagine a reason to own an Xbox anymore. Just go full PC.
I've been building PC's for 20+ years and used to love building the latest and greatest. Hell my PSN tag is the nickname given to me by old co-workers because I used to buy every new GPU. It got old and a giant waste of money. I just wanna play and not deal with PC upgrades drivers blah blah etc etc.

Grief.exe

I work all day at a computer, don't want to come home, sit at a desk, and play driver update simulator for two hours when I just want to play a real game.

I've been building PC's for 20+ years and used to love building the latest and greatest. Hell my PSN tag is the nickname given to me by old co-workers because I used to by every new GPU. It got old and a giant waste of money. I just wanna play and not deal with PC upgrades drivers blah blah etc etc.

Have to upgrade every single year, it's crazy.

Bsigg12

I know I should be thrilled, but I'm not so sure their PC versions won't follow the Quantum Break model.

Quantam Break wasn't originally planned as a Windows 10 game. It was a port of the Xbox One version. Going forward, having games built from the beginning with PC in mind should help a lot especially with the Anniversary Update coming soon.

Z3M0G

The more I try to upgrade to W10 the quicker it fails... now I can't even start the damn download...

When does the free upgrade from W7 end??

I didn't want a H3A until just now. I don't think I'd buy it on Xbox One, but I would love a PC version.

I really don't know how it could get better than Halo 3 in the MCC. Seeing that game in high resolution and 60fps is a thing of beauty...

Top Bottom