• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Halo is releasing on Windows 10 as part of new Xbox + Win10 initiative

Heres how Microsoft sees it

You're either a PC gamer and will game on Windows 10
You're either a console gamer and want a console
Or you want both for, reasons

PC gamer will use Windows 10
Console gamer will buy Scorpio running Windows 10 (branded as Xbox)

Both markets exist, both markets can be potentially attracted, both markets are conjoined under Windows 10

Xbox is the gaming brand, Windows 10 is the ecosystem and software, and getting people into that ecosystem matters massively (see: literally any windows 10 news recently)

More like:

You're a gamer. How you access those games isn't the important bit.

You either like the flexibility of a PC, or the form factor and convenience of a console.

As long as you're using an MS system, using MS services such as Gold, Store, etc. then they want to give you full support to access those games in the way that suits you best.

Sulik2

So MS will soon have a XB1, a Xb1 Slim, a XB1.5 on the market but I can play all of their games on a PC? I dont really get it

Anyway. Master Chief Collection W10 version incoming @ E3

They want to sell you software and subscription services, they don't care what hardware you are on and will provide a variety of price entry points. Not a bad strategy IMHO.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I work all day at a computer, don't want to come home, sit at a desk, and play driver update simulator for two hours when I just want to play a real game.

Have to upgrade every single year, it's crazy.

This is bait right?

Super bait?

Tain

With Dead Rising 3 and D4 now on PC, my Xbox One is used for playing Halo MCC, Halo 5, and if I had a better controller, I'd use it for Raiden V.

If all these games get ported (and I kind of expect MCC and Raiden to), this may be the first console that has no exclusives I feel I need.

I'd absolutely love Gears 4 on PC...but given the population numbers of Gears Ultimate Edition I'd really hope for some kind of cross-play.

It's not. Phil Spencer said so.

Anyone one buying an Xbox in the future must be stupid as hell. There is no point, all 1st party titles will be on PC and 3rd Party titles will be better on PC.

Unless they make Windows games playable on Xbox, they might as well pack up and leave the console business.

shanew21

Microsoft makes more incremental margin on one game purchase than one Xbox One purchase. They are doubling (at LEAST) their market for their software, which will put more money in their pockets. This allows them to make more games on the Windows/Xbox platform.

leeh

Anyone one buying an Xbox in the future must be stupid as hell. There is no point, all 1st party titles will be on PC and 3rd Party titles will be better on PC.

Unless they make Windows games playable on Xbox, they might as well pack up and leave the console business.
You know, there's a lot of people who just prefer the ease of a console. I couldn't care less if Xbox titles went on PC, I like the ease of a console. I sit in-front 3 screens all day, I don't want to go home and sit in-front of more screens. I do like sitting in-front of my TV on my sofa though.

You know, there's a lot of people who just prefer the ease of a console. I couldn't care less if Xbox titles went on PC, I like the ease of a console. I sit behind 3 screens all day, I don't want to go home and sit behind more screens.

What are you playing your Xbox on?

BTM

There are a lot of people who don't like playing on PCs though and would rather use a console.

Papacheeks

Banned
The Next xbox will be a PC with Microsoft/Xbox branding. With optional optical drive, and mostly digital delivery for games.

ANd they will offer a upgraded xbox live experience where games are included as a service, like EA access. Think of it like WWE network. You get access to all the catelog of all microsoft's owned games, and third party if applicable.

But you pay for it as a service.

These devices already solidify that union, especially since xbox being a platform now on PC and continuing.

Don't be surprised to see this option coming E3 2017-2018.

Sony will have something similar I'm sure. Guess that might be the time I get out of gaming. As that's a future I'm not cool with.

greenegt

Won't be stupid for the many gamers who prefer consoles and are not interested in a gaming PC. This move just means MS has potential to sell more software and services, which is where the money is made, anyway.

mcrommert

Banned
Very cool as long as PC players are kept separate from console players.

Agreed but it should be a choice...and also i have no problem playing against pc gamers if they are using a controller...there is enough tech in those controllers they should be able to check to make sure they are actually using a controller

Juanfp

So we already have people that dont understand why a lot of people prefer a console over a PC. And we are in a gaming forum.

I doubt Xbox Live Gold remains a thing in the long term (for gating off multiplayer anyway) since they are trying to expand the brand so much (if all of this stuff is true). It just becomes kind of awkward to have one device (the xbox) be gated but not PC based platforms. Also personally the concept feels weird nowadays with every device (android/ios/pc/whatever) except PS4 and Xbox One not being gated. You want EVERYONE to play your online games and services to purchase stuff, why limit the audience with a strange paywall?

Bsigg12

I think this is a bit short sighted. I have a very capable PC but don't always want to play games on it, I would rather play on a couch on a big ass TV. I'm not going to truck a tower into the living room either just because I have it when it is nicely tucked away in a desk.

Man Xbox losing its appeal is really sad to see :/

How? This is great as it allows the games to reach an even wider audience. Some people won't want to build gaming PCs to play halo so there is still Xbox. Who cares what platform your playing it on, as long as you still get to play it.

It's not like they are releasing games on ps4.

Edit: Most of the money is made from software and services, which your consuming whether on an Xbox console or Windows 10.

Linkyn

Quantam Break wasn't originally planned as a Windows 10 game. It was a port of the Xbox One version. Going forward, having games built from the beginning with PC in mind should help a lot especially with the Anniversary Update coming soon.

It's not even a performance thing mostly. My main concern is the closed system approach to PC gaming and potential lack of physical options.

mcrommert

Banned
Considering that game's issues and the comments from Frankie about porting all of Halo 5 being too much work and too late I'm gonna guess no. Would love to be wrong though

Halo MCC is already a legacy product though....and the xbox one version needs to be fixed anyways. I fully expect for it to be fixed on xbox and pushed to pc at the same time. Its a gigantic black eye that they have to fix.

Maxim726X

What if you don't want or don't care about PC gaming?

At some point (some would argue that we're already there), streaming from your PC to boxes throughout the house is going to be easy, and extremely cost effective. It seems that Microsoft wants to hasten the transition, or maybe it's more accurate to say that they don't see a future in the console market anymore.

Nice, I am ready for some ultra smooth Halo action on my gsync monitor!

Microsoft is pushing me farther and farther away from ever purchasing an Xbox console with all these recent announcements. *hugs PC*

Nzyme32

There is this constant talk of Microsoft "uniting PC + Xbox" gaming & communities, but this will never happen if they don't allow for PC gaming to exist as it has for decades, and actually enable Windows gaming on the Xbox - with all the competition and openness that brings; though this seems pretty unlikely for the consoles as it would mess with how MS can make revenue without such competition.

As for "they might as well pack up and leave", I don't think that will ever be the case in this scenario. There are plenty of people that do not care for or want to engage with PC gaming, and consoles are a simple and trustworthy choice for them. They generally don't care about the gamer platform warring, and just want to get on with the games they like with the friends and ecosystem they like. As long as that doesn't change drastically for the worse, they will likely still engage with the platform

bee

coming exclusively to windows store and uwp, I've very little interest in halo but that means i'll never get to play them anyway

I know what you're going to say.

There's a difference between using a PC with a controller, and a console.

If the rumors of PC getting the full Xbox One interface are true then honestly the difference between playing games on your Xbox One or playing games on the Windows 10 Store would probably be almost nothing.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Nice, I am ready for some ultra smooth Halo action on my gsync monitor!

Microsoft is pushing me farther and farther away from ever purchasing an Xbox console with all these recent announcements. *hugs PC*

And yet closer and closer to buying your games from them! Sounds like they still get what they want.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Don't know why people see this as a bad thing. Increases the Xbox install base. More games to more people. Microsoft makes more money. Gamers get more options.

bede-x

Once again someone makes the mistake of claiming they've announced Gears 4 for PC. They didn't, but it must be coming at some point with both IGN and Gamespot making a similar mistake in the past. Right?

Top Bottom