• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Only 90% of Xbox One GPU usable for games"- PS4 GPU up to 66% more powerful?

Thing is, all multiplats will likely look the same in the end.

Just like all PS3 and 360 multiplats were the same, right? And power gap is much bigger this time and one of the consoles has a better architecture as well.

The very least the PS4 will get are better/more stable framerates. And that is if devs are not trying.

Calling bs on this new rumor for now though.

Radec

Like others said he got stronger during the Freeza saga. Also Yamcha said that Krillin is the strongest human on earth in the beginning of the Buu saga.

For me:
PS4= Goku
Wii-U= Gohan (Has potential that will show in due time)
X1 = Vegeta

No way the WiiU is a Saiyan.

WiiU = Krillin

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why don't they use The Cloud for the operating system(s) ? It's so much better and powerful than the local resources!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, at this rate, the Xbone is gonna be weaker than the Wii-U by the end of the month.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm kind of confused about what this means. I was under the impression that you don't 'save' bits of a GPU like this. Like if I am playing a game, what is the saved part of the GPU doing? Just sitting around idling? That just seems like a phenomenal waste.

Man, at this rate, the Xbone is gonna be weaker than the Wii-U by the end of the month.

Not saying it could end up weaker, but, on paper, the PS2 initially seemed quite a bit stronger than the Gamecube. Just something to mull over until we get full Wii U specs. Lol.

3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.
receipts.gif

They plan to reserve 3GB of RAM for the OS, when not long ago they were only planning on having 4GB of RAM in the retail system total?

Feel free to post anything from ERP that equates to him saying "3GB is likely reserved for the PS4 OS."

DieH@rd

Banned
So Sony won't be offering suspend states or multitaksing features on the PS4?

That's pretty disappointing considering they were such great features on the Vita.

Of course they will. They announced multitasking [specifically mentioned running a Netflix while game is paused in the background during one interview] and suspend game state while console is "turned off" on PSMeeting and lots of interviews.

Twinduct

Really hope the cloud thing doesn't become such a main factor for Xbone. My internet connection can hardly sustain a damn MMO hosted in the states.

If anything I hope it's something like physx where there is still an option of not using it.

What was the difference between 360 and PS3? In flops? That was 400 vs 240, we still saw comparable looking games. I still cant believe how naieve a lot of us are. We should be directly comparing the exclusives with video and screenshots. Theoretical flops are highly subjective.

More like 400gflops for ps3 and +-310-350gflops for 360.

Of course they will. They announced multitasking while gaming in one interview [specifically mentioned running a Netflix while game is paused in the background] and suspend game state while console is "turned off" on PSMeeting.

The way the OP was worded made me wonder if they decided not to bother.

Which raises the question, how have Sony managed to implement those features without seeing a similar hit to GPU, etc.

Or is this an exclusive problem to the One due to their 3 OS nonsense?

Zabka

Really hope the cloud thing doesn't become such a main factor for Xbone. My internet connection can hardly sustain a damn MMO hosted in the states.

If anything I hope it's something like physx where there is still an option of not using it.

I can't wait until Time Warner and MS have a disagreement over bandwidth so cloud processing gets throttled.

Shokio

Neo Member
1/4 of the CPU
10% of the GPU
37.5% of the RAM

All reserved to the OS and can't be accessed by games. This system is much weaker than it actually appears on paper.

As for the DBZ comparisons, it's definitely:

PS4 = Goku
X1 = Trunks
Wii U = Piccolo

PS4 already has 2 cores reserved (Killzone SF slides) confirmed. 3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.

I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume they'll reserve from the GPU as well if MS is doing it it must be a desirable/necessary thing.

Links?

DieH@rd

Banned
Which raises the question, how have Sony managed to implement those features without seeing a similar hit to GPU, etc.

Or is this an exclusive problem to the One due to their 3 OS nonsense?

We dont know how much resources will they keep for PS. During "4GB" era of PS4 devkits, OS supposedly took only 512 MB of ram. Lately we heard rumor that 7GB of ram will be avaiable to game devs, but nothing is confirmed. Killzone Shadowfall engine breakdown shows that it uses 6 CPU threads, but there is a chance this was shown on a old devkit that did not had final hardware [in this case, no dedicated audio processing module, which was maybe emulated by 1 CPU core].

1/4 of the CPU
10% of the GPU
37.5% of the RAM

All reserved to the OS and can't be accessed by games. This system is much weaker than it actually appears on paper.

As for the DBZ comparisons, it's definitely:

PS4 = Goku
X1 = Trunks
Wii U = Piccolo

Wii won last gen with weakest graphics, best price entry point, and coolest interface at the time.

Whats good enough for Nintendo cant be good enough for others?

CLEEK

As far as I've read, before the bump to 8GB, the PS4 reserved 0.5GB RAM for its OS. It's been suggested that this had now grown to 1GB, but this is just a rumour so it could still just use half a gig.

Kyon

Banned
PS4 already has 2 cores reserved (Killzone SF slides) confirmed. 3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.

I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume they'll reserve from the GPU as well if MS is doing it it must be a desirable/necessary thing.

Source? I've never ever heard of this. Where are people now coming up with the "Sony will most likely" thing from..

We dont know how much resources will they keep for PS. During "4GB" era of PS4 devkits, OS supposedly took only 512 MB of ram. Lately we heard rumor that 7GB of ram will be avaiable to game devs, but nothing is confirmed. Killzone Shadowfall engine breakdown shows that it uses 6 CPU threads, but there is a chance this was shown on a old devkit that did not had final hardware [in this case, no dedicated audio processing module, which was maybe emulated by 1 CPU core].

Ah, okay. Thanks for the detailed response.

Kyon

Banned

Thank you :)

Perkel

Banned
400 GFLOPs is a theoretical value that PS3 can't feasibly achieve. It actually comes in a bit below the 360's, which is indeed 240 GFLOPs.

So what is Gflop value ? 200 Gf ? 150 ? 300 ? Sorry but you are talking "tales from my ass" story here. We know only theoretical power and that PS3 exclusives look better than best looking X360 games.

So google told you practical Gflop of PS3 ? lol.

Then why are you talking about GPU when you responded to whole CPU+GPU theoretical power ?

Google told me that the RSX is estimated to be around 200 GFLOPs. There is, admittedly, little agreement, with estimates going as low as 176 (unlikely) and as high as 1.8 TFLOPs (lol). 230 is the most recurring number.

Anyways, in my initial post, I clearly stated I was only referring to GPUs. Edit: wait no I didn't lol. Whoops. Time for bed.

I'd just like to say. About cloud computing via box live.

Colbert_3741.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509049

Could the Xbox 720 network be a super computer?
So with the rumors that the xbox durango has 2 cpu cores and 3gb of ram reserved at all times.

Doesn't this make the network of these consoles as potentially one of the most powerful computer clusters available? Also wouldn't this allow for incredible torrented download speeds of XBLA content? or live streaming of videos to work instantly via assisted streaming from nearby consoles ?

The xbox division would have every online console on their finger tips for super computing and anything that comes along with that.

I'm not a programmer so my imagination is short, but could this also be used for hosting game servers? For improving every online integrated application on the console?

Edit: Thanks mod for the title change.

Top Bottom