• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Bgamer90

Banned
This is a fucking terrible idea. Consoles are not smartphones that you can carry around and show off to friends and enemies as a status symbol and as an everyday gadget that improves your quality of life. They are gaming hardware that we turn on at home and don't even think about when we're not using them. They are also mainly for games, not for any other function which come as a bonus and a convenience for when you are actually using a console. Hence the motivation to spend 400 or 500 euros/dollars every 3 or 4 years on an upgrade isn't there. When we game, we just want it to be there, ready to go. Not having to worry about whether it'll play the newest game is a benefit that will be lost if they go the Apple way. Do not support.

That's the thing though. The old model will still be supported with content -- just like the old model(s) of iOS devices.

Hence why I pretty much said in my previous post (on the first page of this thread) that compatibility will greatly determine how well this plan will work out.

If you are going to get the same games that the "new console" people are going to get, and devs wouldn't have to put much effort in bringing one game to both consoles, then this plan may work out.

gamz

No Sega 32X gifs yet?

Seriously, guys the generations of console are far too long anyways. I welcome more frequent upgrades.

Chao

This would be the worst idea ever.

PsVR is enough of a bad idea, coming out at the price of a console and requiring a console to work.

Does Sony expect me to spend hundreds of euros in hardware each year seeing how current gen games are only starting to come out a decent pace NOW?

Another console and three years of fucking ps3 remasters (but now on 4K)?

Fuck no.

This is as good as confirmed, considering Patrick is the author of this report. There's a reason he has the nickname Scoops, and he would not even touch this story if he hadn't thoroughly vetted it first.

To the people calling BS, I'm sorry, but you are very, very likely wrong -- for better or worse.

Yeah considering the author its essentially a done deal at this point.

Hoje0308

Banned
Might aswel have if this was the route they planned to go. You'll just end up in the same situation a few years down the road. Plenty of people buy consoles so they don't have to buy new hardware every couple of years to feel like they're getting the best out of their platform, if that ceases to be true why should I continue buying your hardware?

No, that's not at all what they should have done. At minimum, PS4 will have been their most powerful product on the market for four years if this rumored upgrade releases in 2017. That's not far off from traditional cycles and it sounds like games will work on both consoles. If you want to upgrade mid cycle, you can. If not, wait for PS5 and those of us that hated the long wait between PS3 and PS4 will be happy with the change.

Andrew House during the PSVR presentation at GDC

That proves nothing. For the record, I don't believe the rumor, but the statement is still correct right up until the release of an upgrade, and there's no way in hell he'd let plans of the upgrade slip at the PSVR event.

Horrible idea.

This would be my last gen and definitely my last Sony console if this is how things were going forward. I'd just game on PC.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Makes complete sense to me. With x86 CPUs and PC architecture all around, it would be super easy to support 3-4 iterations of hardware simultaneously. This doesn't make the original PS4 any less than it is, it just means that new games will play 720-1080p with low-mid settings of PC equivalents, and PS4K supports either 720p-1080p at high settings or 4K at low-mid settings.

COGS for a console that can match PS4 but at 4K native would be a bit higher than PS4 at launch, especially this year. They could probably keep the GPU part's cost down by focusing on adding components that increase resolution throughput (ROPS, RAM throughput) without adding more and more processing units like high end PC GPUs do. Put it on a Zen chipset to modestly increase CPU performance and you should be able to match settings at 4K.

If anything this extends the life of PS4. You could still play new games in 2022 that support 3 versions of PS4, they would just have lower settings. PC can do this with hundreds of possible configurations, surely a walled garden could do 3. Why would Sony do this if PS4 is selling well? For the same reason if PSX or PS2 could have done the same they would have to sustain their marketshare. or why Apple keeps releasing iPads.

Sylas

Ok medium I can believe on an older GPU. Guess what? The PS4 IS that older GPU on medium setting. Or people can upgrade their console and get the PC equivalent of high setting.

No one is forcing people to just throw their PS4 in the garbage

Right, and it still comes down to price. I only have to spend $300ish on a GPU to upgrade every few years. I don't have to get a whole new slew of parts. That's just the cost for the GPU at MSRP.

A new PS4 is gonna have to have that $300-$400 component + costs for the rest of the console itself. Unless they cut some deals or sell at a loss, they can't make it much cheaper than $500-$600. If they want to go above what current-market PC GPUs can achieve (see: 4K at steady framerates), the cost is only going to bloat upwards.

Phionoxx

I would think an incremental hardware upgrade ought to focus on achieving the 1080P/60fps standard first as a new baseline before trying to jump up to supporting 4K games.

As has been mentioned, no idea how they expect to be able to support 4K games given the current hardware available and still hit even a 500 dollar price point.

I would be all for a PS4 slim that internalized the VR breakout box, added 5 GHz wireless capability, and supported 4K blu rays. But I see a PS4.5 being a hard sell to most consumers. Personally I already have a PS4 and a capable gaming PC, so I wouldn't really have much incentive to buy in for an incremental upgrade unless we start to see Sony exclusive games that only support the new hardware. If this shapes up to be true E3 will be nuts this year.

4K gaming is not happening in a loooong time when it comes to consoles (minus maybe some super simple games).

PS4.5? Sure, I can believe that. Shorter gen cycles with full BC and games supporting 2-3 versions of the hardware. VR especially needs all the power it can get.

Z O N E

So, what about the people who purchased the PS4?

Sorry, but if you can't upgrade to the "so called PS4.5" then that is scummy.

orochi91

What kind of hardware are looking at for a the PS4.5K?

To run at 4K, it will need a 970/980 caliber GPU, coupled with a beefy CPU.

How big would an APU like that be?

TyrantII

I think it's more perplexing that they'd jump from 1080p to 4k.

RIP 1440p.

4K would be Blu-ray support and PSVR V2.0 I'm guessing. And with PSVR you're limited to framerate on graphical fedility. Lots of cell shading 4K.

This sort of feels like they're going to sacrifice PS4 for the PSVRs long term prospects.

We were all worries that PSVR during the PS4 gem was putting the cart before the horse, and seems Sony feels that way too.

But the timeline of competition is forcing their hand as other units are going to be hitting the market at the same time PS4 is in its stride.

This would be the worst idea ever.

PsVR is enough of a bad idea, coming out at the price of a console and requiring a console to work.

Does Sony expect me to spend hundreds of euros in hardware each year seeing how current gen games are only starting to come out a decent pace NOW?

Another console and three years of fucking ps3 remasters (but now on 4K)?

Fuck no.

You can like not buying that ugprade and enjoy the console you have.

But I bet there are many dumb reasons which make it impossible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In what world a console witch renders 4x more resolution than the previous is a .5 revision.
This makes zero sense.

We are talking about PS5 here and no PS4.5

Agreed. I think these may be young devs, who's main career starting out was the PS360 Era of the 8-10 year cycle, so they see a 4-5 year cycle (which has been the concensus since Nintendo NES on), they think 'half step', combined with the same architecture (just like PC), and same OS/Ecosystem has them confused, lol.

Especially if the power is close to what they say, that is a full generarional step, not half, lol.

Adry9

What kind of hardware are looking at for a the PS4.5K?

To run at 4K, it will need a 970/980 caliber GPU, coupled with a beefy CPU.

How big would an APU like that be?

>$1000 is my guess. Would be crazy if Sony decided to put that in the market.

Not sure how I feel about this. Was ready to preorder PSVR on Tuesday but now I don't know if I want to invest in a 2nd ecosystem if they're going to do a refresh every few years. I might as well just stick to investing in PC, already got a 980Ti

Saty

People are getting hung up on the 4K. It will have better specs that would allow devs that choose so to run some of their games at 4K. The Division won't be at 4K but something like N++ or Galak-Z could be easily.

Good news. Existence of a stronger SKU doesn't take anything of the current one. You bought the PS4 on its own behalf. It's still going to play all the games at the same level performance regardless if there was to be a stronger SKU. Logically, at some point some games might require the stronger SKU, but at this stage it would be akin to complaining games requiring PS4 over PS3.

As long as I'm able to toggle between 1080P 60fps and 4k 30fps, I'll be happy because I will not be purchasing a 4K set for a very long time. I will however be purchasing a PSVR, and I welcome any power boosts that can be fed to the headset.

takoyaki

I like the idea, it would be a more meaningful upgrade than a mid-cycle 'slim' version.

It's just hard to imagine that Sony will be able to sell a machine that is capable of playing PS4 games in 4k/30fps at such a low price. Could this be like the Apple situation and this is the PS4pro that would be priced significantly higher than $400?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If both sides (MS and Sony) stick to a set of standardization between their fragmented platforms, everything will be alright.

The only concern is when there's a game that's borderline unplayable on the un-upgraded version. Gonna suck when it does hit and people feel jilted. It's up to both of the platform holders to ensure that won't happen, but how do they do that?

How does mobile handle this? Some apps simply won't work on X platform or earlier. You can expect the same to eventually develop, regardless of how much both platform holders WANT it to run on everything. You hit a point where the entire focus will be lost on certain games and it won't be acceptable on earlier hardware.

We'll see how it develops, but definitely look at the mobile space and how app makers have approached this.

Papacheeks

Banned
OUTDATED fixed hardware. IT was good for what it was, but it was and is outdated hardware even by the time they launch. It might not have made a difference in other gens, but I am thinking since architecture is now the same as PC, or ate least similar, this is not a good thing right now.

Technology and hardware evolve at a fast pace. Having a 10 year console life cycle worked last gen, but here it would be disastrous. Maybe even similar to how Nintendo fell behind. SO this is a reason they might be looking into this.

Sony , MS and console gaming cannot swim against the current. Even Nintedo, which has had success distancing themselves for this, are being more active about staying relevant.

So fixed hardware is not always good if it minds falling behind other tech hardware and could be seen as direct competitors. Same will hopefully happen with VR.

Also going by responses here, many gamers will not like this, but they should. Gamers should stop being cheap about supporting the hobby/tech they love. Now more than ever I feel it is important for consoles to keep being relevant. Even if PS4 has sold a ton of stuff if they fall behind other tech stuff by the time this 6-10 year gen ends they would be in a bad place, tech wise at least. So let's stop being cheap.

Who's saying this is a 10 year cycle? It;s going to be 6.

And closed hardware has always been good. Xbox one and PS4 are selling better than last gen? Actually PS4 is close to PS2, which was god tier days.

So I would say your wrong. With them making profits on hardware because TECH has become cheaper to get lower costs I would say staying the course would be more beneficial in getting good deals on parts. Having incremental upgrades would actually cost more up front, and possibly put the chip,memory manufacturers in a difficult spot. you might see constraints or batch issues more often. Waiting and trying to get best possible price as things eventually get cheaper more cost effective is better than trying to chase the better tech rabbit hole.

Being cost effective is what they need, and it's why they hit the ground running this gen instead of having RROD issues, Yellow light of death, giant powersupply's, bad coding issues.

duhmetree

I honestly do not get most peoples logic.

They will buy a new phone every year or two but it's a disaster if Sony or MS does it for consoles.... 3-4 years later?

Technology is taking a huge leap forward soon with HBM... It would be FOOLISH if Sony and MS didn't capitalize on it. They are forced to put out a new unit. If Sony doesn't, MS would and Sony risks losing user base.... and vice versa.

It makes even more sense for Sony since they are release PSVR later this year.

orochi91

Andrew House during the PSVR presentation at GDC

"Because PS4 is a fixed platform, developers can optimize their platform knowing that the experience will be identical across all users."

This rumour isn't looking so hot right now.

The only non-contradictory explanation would be that the PS4.5 is code for PS5 and Sony is releasing their next console early.

Top Bottom