• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

HooYaH

Also another thought:

Maybe the PS5 is the PS4.5 and Sony is going on a more future focused strategy than restarting from scratch every generation?

Think about how damn risky it is for these platform holders to trot out a new platform, with a new OS and development platform every 6 years?

That's incredibly risky. It's a damn crapshoot. Companies do not like those kinds of risk.

Just the last generations 3 generations we've had 3 lead changes across each platform holder.

Not only that, but it also affects their third party partners. They're incredibly invested in these platforms succeeding, but they never know what horse to bet on.

Isn't it 2 changes? PS2, Wii, PS4?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Do not do this Sony. Do not piss away the most goodwill you've had in a decade.

I remember a similar rumour for PS3 that never came to pass though.

jfoul

I really hope Sony and Microsoft go full measure with this. Release new hardware revisions every 1-2 years. They're both on a PC architecture now, so the user base no longer resets with new hardware.

This gives consumers more choice. (Ex) I won't upgrade to the next revision, but I might buy in on revision 3 & 7. This also allows consoles to evolve with the changing market, avoiding stagnation (Hardware & Software). Lastly, this model keeps the brands & services fresh, exciting every year or so.

I didn't touch my GPU for 5 years and it was running AAA games at medium/high settings just fine until this year. I only upgraded because my old card died.

If they can make the new console affordable, hell--it's a good thing! They can't, though. Not to make a noticeable difference between current-PS4 games and new-PS4.5 games. There's just straight up a hardware cost associated with that, and it would likely be not insignificant.

Ok medium I can believe on an older GPU. Guess what? The PS4 IS that older GPU on medium setting. Or people can upgrade their console and get the PC equivalent of high setting.

No one is forcing people to just throw their PS4 in the garbage

Considering the writer of the article, Patrick Klepek, broke the Xbox 180 story, I think it's as good as done at this point.
Breaking a story in the past assures accuracy in the future? C'mon.

I don't -- personally -- believe the rumor is true, but let's at least wait for some further confirmation or details before jumping to conclusions.

A PS4 that outputs to 4k for games (that support it) is a bit different than the "PS4.5" that people are claiming here. We have no details as to how this would work or how this would affect development for existing games.

Big difference Sony isn't tying their games to PC a PSN PC store. They also are not trying to push a new way of developing games across 2 platforms.

ANd honestly I don't think this is going to happen. AT least for Sony. I could be wrong. But it doesn't make sense in the position they are in.

It's happening. And it's happening for all 3 console manufactures. Platform as a service. Get used to it.

There is no appreciable difference between what Microsoft and Sony (and Nintendo) are doing. So if you sang a different tune in the Xbox platform thread, be sure to pour some ketchup on your crow.

score01

Sucks if this is true. What we're essentially saying good bye to is games coded to the metal and optimised to make best use of the hardware.

Your new game has fps drops or stutters? Please upgrade to the latest more powerful hardware. There won't be a patch to fix.

Yopis

The moment my ps4 cannot play ps4 games, I'm done with all this.

and I mean playing, not whacky 'Shadow of Mordor on ps360' stuff.

I don't believe they're releasing new hardware sooner than 2 years from now tho

Why would you need to upgrade though? If the games ran on both console versions what's the issue?

Mar Nosso

Banned
This is a fucking terrible idea. Consoles are not smartphones that you can carry around and show off to friends and enemies as a status symbol and as an everyday gadget that improves your quality of life. They are gaming hardware that we turn on at home and don't even think about when we're not using them. They are also mainly for games, not for any other function which come as a bonus and a convenience for when you are actually using a console. Hence the motivation to spend 400 or 500 euros/dollars every 3 or 4 years on an upgrade isn't there. When we game, we just want it to be there, ready to go. Not having to worry about whether it'll play the newest game is a benefit that will be lost if they go the Apple way. Do not support.

I'm fine with this, if it doesn't release until 4 years in.

I started a thread like this awhile ago, and of course was mostly disagreeing replies, but here was my wish list for consoles. I'm pretty excited when I trade in a 2-3 year old phone to upgrade, there's no reason to keep the same console around for 6 or 7 years if you like upgrading. With future iterations all being based on the same architecture and fully b/c, I'm all for it.

Year 1 release
Year 2 improve hardware stability
Year 3 release slim version
Year 4 upgrade

Rince repeat

If we're all playing the same games, I would think it'll be pretty successful. I guess, I'm just in for a shorter gen cycle that encompasses the same ecosystem of games across platforms. Not really endorsing the actual smartphone upgrade system here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is as good as confirmed, considering Patrick is the author of this report. There's a reason he has the nickname Scoops, and he would not even touch this story if he hadn't thoroughly vetted it first.

To the people calling BS, I'm sorry, but you are very, very likely wrong -- for better or worse.

Exactly. This is most likely true.

As for the concept, are we really coming back around to the 32X-style add-ons or are these going to be entirely new systems?

I think the 32X-style add-on could work today--I don't think incremental upgrades like an entirely new system would do anything but fracture the userbase and damage consumer relations.

In all likelihood, Sony is probably planning for the PS5 rather than a PS4 upgrade. They probably sold it as "It will basically be a PS4 but it does 4K."

It's probably more substantial than that, but yeah, that's how I see it. Unless it's coming out this year, it doesn't break with the traditional console cycle.

I really don't see why you wouldn't just buy a new gpu for your computer for the price of the new console instead of buying a new console iteration, wouldn't you get more out of that than buying a new console?
LCnCRPK.gif

If you're already into PC gaming sure. Most people are not into PC gaming though.

AmFreak

PS4 games in 4K would need ~4x the power or in other words a gpu in the highest end category of AMD.
Even with 14nm ~7.5 TFlops would be far more high-end and power-hungry than the ps4 gpu was in 2013.

True Fire

So many Chicken Littles afraid of an inevitable change.

Man I LOVE GAF when news (a rumor) like this surfaces.

Yeah, people are being super melodramatic about it. Nintendo already did it with the New Nintendo 3DS and the only minor annoyances to come out if it were Xenoblade and SNES games being exclusive to it.

papo

I didn't touch my GPU for 5 years and it was running AAA games at medium/high settings just fine until this year. I only upgraded because my old card died.

If they can make the new console affordable, hell--it's a good thing! They can't, though. Not to make a noticeable difference between current-PS4 games and new-PS4.5 games. There's just straight up a hardware cost associated with that, and it would likely be not insignificant.

More affordable than $400 for a 3 year investment?

This is why I don't get. Please don't take this the wrong way and I mean it more in a general way, but gamers are cheap. If it is the hobby you love then it would be worth it to invest in it.

Unless you really have a rough economic situationm, are in college or have too large a family you should be seeing a lot more than $400 dollars that you can spend on entertainment stuff in 3 years. So it is completely affordable.

We can't expect great/current tech and not want to pay what it would cost.

Crayolan

Sucks for early adopters, but I guess it works for me since I wasn't planning on picking up a PS4 till late in the gen anyway.

The God

All the I'll just build a PC comments.....and yet you will do the exact same thing on that. Upgrade your GPU every 2-3 years which is about the cost of a console

I think what they mean is that if consoles go the upgraded route, why not build a PC and get the advantages of a PC an upgraded console doesn't get.

orochi91

since this a similar topic to some recent Xbox threads I think it's important to state that Sony is killing the PlayStation brand. This is obviously their exit strategy.

Also, it is important to note that Devs are not capable of developing for multiple SKUs so this is incredibly anti-developer.

It was fun while it lasted. I hope Sony and MS devs find somewhere to develop for Mobile or Nintendo because those are our last best hope for this beautiful industry.

It's a shame that mismanagement at Sony and MS have brought us to the precipice.

Until Sony releases their games on PC, and when their console(s) start bombing worldwide (XB1-style), this comparison is disingenuous.

lol

Genio88

The 4K part though really isn't possible, how could they manage 4k/30fps on games if right now a GTX 980Ti barely do that? If that's true must be a 1000$ console at least

Griss

More like grandpas and grandmas, pal

Ease of use is dominated by phones, consoles are for the old. I don't see this working out well for either MS or Sony, but the devil is in the details. If they can keep it simple they're good. I don't think they will do it right first out the gate.

What on earth?

I was comparing a console to a PC. The majority of people I know who bought PS4s did so because they know the following:

a) They don't have to pay attention to specs or know what they mean - they just have to ask for a PS4
b) They can go in and hook it up under their TV without need to do anything but plug it in
c) They can turn it on and put in the Fifa disc and it will play Fifa without issue
d) The console comes with the controller that will work for every game sold on the machine

PC gaming is still nothing like that. Consoles still have that advantage. The PS4K will still have that advantage.

The 4K part though really isn't possible, how could they manage 4k/30fps on games if right now a GTX 980Ti barely do that? If that's true must be a 1000$ console at least

Indie games and movies will be in 4k. Not the blockbusters.

It would not shock me if there was a revisted ps4 with better built in support for the VR headset, a console with no need for that external cpu box (maybe) or a faster HDD/bluray I dunno.

Jacking up the power like a yearly released phone though? I think that's dumb.

Mr Swine

Banned
I honestly don't see the problem with this. If they can make a more powerful PS4 system that can run all games and future games at 4K resolution then what is the problem? It's not like it's going to make your old PS4 obsolete

Anyway if this were true it wouldn't really bother me tbh. I bought a ps4 cus I like Sony's games and that's where my friends play. As long as I can keep playing those games I don't care.

Paganmoon

Riiight, a 980ti has a hard enough time with 4k and keeping at 30FPS in a lot of games, and that's a $600+ card that needs major cooling.

No chance for 4k gaming on consoles within the foreseeable future.

This very well could be (and this is still highly unlikely in my opinion), a revision for 4k output through HDMI and UHD Blu-Ray reader. And it -might- upscale games to 4k, but no chance in hell we'll see a 4k native game revision PS4.

And again, a revised PS4 with changed internals (UHD and a new HDMI chip), I don't see it happening.

Guymelef

In what world a console witch renders 4x more resolution than the previous is a .5 revision?
This makes zero sense.

We are talking about PS5 here and no PS4.5

Sorry but this just sounds selfish...

If you were happy with current ps4 graphics, there's no reason, the existence of the same game with better visuals should bother you. If thats the case you should've bought a pc.

And your console will still work for the next 6/7yrs... You're not losing anything
You really think that the original PS4 will be the priority for optimization after an upgrade or two happens? I'd imagine on the original PS4 after a few years we'd see most games in a situation similar to those call of duty last gen ports that actually look visually worse than the ones that came out with the 360 as a priority. We definitely won't have games like Halo 4 or God of war Ascension that squeeze every ounce of power out of the PS4 7 years after it came out if there's a PS4.5 or even PS4.75 that are the priority for most developers

True Fire

It makes sense if the PS4.5 is intended to be a luxury version of the PS4, like a 1000 dollar gaming PC.

entremet

Well. I'm sure glad I wasted my money on a PS4 then.

How is it wasted?

You're still playing and enjoying games now, right? This thing isn't even out or officially confirmed. Does it existing take away all the fun times you had with the PS4?

I don't get this logic.

LewieP

I don't have a problem with more iterative hardware releases for consoles (assuming it is implemented well), but I have a small degree irritation that seemingly Sony and Microsoft decided to move to such a model without letting people know what they were buying into with the original releases of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Seems like the kind of thing that might benefit Microsoft more than Sony right now, but I can also see some strategic reasons why Sony might want to do this.

I'd be a little surprised to see souped up versions of Xbox One and PS4 to release before slim models, but perhaps that kind of decisions is made more from an engineering perspective than a market perspective. Perhaps they can't reduce the size of these consoles as easily as they can put more powerful components in.

spwolf

If this is true, it would make me hesitate to invest in PSVR in 2016. The PC and mobile feature of fast hardware iteration wasn't something I was ready for in the console space.

So basically you dont want higher fidelity in PSVR but at the same time refuse to buy lower version because higher version exists.

Personally, I find that hard to understand in the mobile space too (ie Z5 does not invalidate how great my Z3 is)... but again, gotta point out that PS4 was not released last year but in 2013. If 4 years later Sony comes out with PS4 revision that can do 4K gaming and make "my" PSVR even nicer, then I am there day 1.

Top Bottom