• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

I get the feeling this thread will be like the one where everyone called Kotaku liars or fools when they reported that Versus XIII as we knew it was dead, possibly being rebooted as FFXV, and then two years later it turned out they were totally right even down to the timeframe when it happened.

Strike

Not sure how to feel about this. Many developers have enough trouble optimizing their games as it is. If it's just for VR, that's fine, but if it's like a 3DS -> new 3DS situation where some games won't run on the old hardware, forget it.

Bert

Do not want. Have had a PS4 for all of 3 months and don't even feel like it's getting going yet to be honest. If you want more power for VR, stick it in the breakout box. 4K penetration isn't anything like high enough to justify this otherwise.

And how would it work? Are they going to ban devs from using the extra power at lower resolutions? If not, you fragment the user base.

JordanN

Banned
If they're actually doing this, I don't think it's a DSi or N3DS stopgap. I think we're looking at the same thing Phil Spencer seems to have alluded to - an end to discrete console generations, and a shift to a more smartphone-like upgrade cycle (although I'd expect more powerful models to only be released every 2-3 years, not annually like with phones).

This is what I'm thinking.

PS4.5 is still PS5. It is meant to be the successor to the previous playstation console before it.

The only difference is that there is overlap with both consoles in the beginning, sharing the same games and peripherals, until PS4 is phased out.

So something like this

2013 (PS4 is announced. PS3 is replaced) -------- 2017 (PS4.5 is announced. Shares the same games with PS4) ------ 2022 (PS4 is phased out. PS4.5 takes over)

Curufinwe

Exactly. MS basically has Sony's hands tied. They have to follow suit to remain competitive long term. Nobody is saying this is happening this year or even next, but I believe it's inevitable.

Remain competitive? Sony has already crushed MS this generation and a new version of the Xbone would not change that. I don't think you realize just how dead the MS brand is in the console space outside the US and a few other countries.

entremet

This makes no sense. Why would they do this?

I understand Microsoft and Nintendo have to try some risky moves to get back on track, but Sony is winning.

The market is with Sony. All they had to do is keep doing what they are doing, wait for Nintendo and Microsoft to release their hardware succesors, and in 2018 or 2019 release a backwards compatible PS5 that blows their competitors offerings out of the water.

It looks so easy from outside...

Do you think if they release this mythical PS4.5 and it's around 400 that sales of the combined PS4/4.5 platform will drop?

I'd think we'd see a nice jump due to all the early adopters, much like we jumps with other iterative hardware upgrades.

Zedox

Wait when it was about Xbox i remember lots of complaints about upgrades, i guess now instead that's a awesome news right?

Oh but you see it too huh? Don't you see that this is the exit strategy for Sony from the console business? There's no way devs would be able to handle another target platform. It's just too much work and publishers won't be on board. This is dead in the water. LOLOLOLOL.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get the feeling this thread will be like the one where everyone called Kotaku liars or fools when they reported that Versus XIII as we knew it was dead, possibly being rebooted as FFXV, and then two years later it turned out they were totally right even down to the timeframe when it happened.

At the rate we're going, it probably won't take two years, but yes.

orochi91

The difference between PS4.5 and PS5 is that you wouldn't be able to play the PS5 games on PS4. Here's you'll be able to play the same exact game on both only it will look/perform better on 4.5. Devs know what they're talking about.

I'm of the opinion that Sony will have BC going forward simply because MS and Nintendo have it for their consoles.

And possible even forward compatibility if they go for the iterative hardware route.

dracula_x

speculation, indeed

Y4ENL7v.png

Thanks to HSA they could add accelerators to the SoC that help the GPU & CPU out while using less power.

So a PS4 game could be made to run in 4k on this new system while running 1080P on the PS4.

You're a little too optimistic

I'd be okay if the console future was like:

-A new $400 console comes out every 3 years
-Trade in the last console to get the new one 50% off

Is that reasonable? Maybe 25% off? There has to be some kind of incentive here, video game consoles are not cell phones. You can't just crank out a new one every three years and expect people to drop $400 on it.

Incentive? Why? Out of the goodness of their hearts? lol this is a business. You want a new box and don't want to keep your old one? Sell it and buy a new one.

The GPU on the PS4 is just fine. The CPU is the one that needs a seriously dramatic upgrade.

GPU on the PS4 is struggling on most modern AAA multiplats, not just the CPU.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What pisses me off over this potential plan isnt the 4K crap because I'm probably never getting a 4KTV so who fucking cares.

Its the PSVR bit. The "to make better games on that". That then becomes the hard lock-out for titles and the need to upgrade and thats not on.

So fuck you Sony if you do this. Consoles are a big business for a reason.

Paganmoon

Those of you posting about how this is bullshit should probably read the entire article before commenting!

I read it, still call bullshit. But if I'm to be a bit more diplomatic, I'd say there has been misscommunication.

Firstly 4k for gaming requires a high end GPU, that costs almost twice the current price of a PS4 alone, and would require a hefty PSU to power and lots of cooling.
Secondly, if the new console was a year away, developers would've heard about it long before, right? you don't spring new hardware on devs at a late stage in their development.

This could very well be, and this is still unlikely, a PS4 console revision with UHD Blu-Ray support, and 4k output, and thus would be able to upscale 1080p PS4 games to 4k, but it does not mean it's doing 4k gaming.

Jason, just take a step back and think about it, does this sound plausible? A 4k gaming console?

Skux

I'm down. The PS4 is just not powerful enough compared to the experience of PC gaming.

I'd love to be able to play Bloodborne and other exclusives at 60fps or 4k.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm conflicted, but optimistic.

One one hand, this could disrupt gaming industry in many ways. We never got these "mid generation" upgrades before, there is lot unknowns about software licences [what will transfer from PS4 to PS4K], game/server support, presence of games that cannot be played on PS4, feelings of consumer base about fast arrival of better hardware...

But on the other hand, I am all for better hardware that will enable better gaming experiences, and if it released I would consider getting it if EVERYTHING I purchased on PS4 transfers to PS4K.

Hopefully both Sony and MS will handle this [possible] switch very carefully.

Andrew House during the PSVR presentation at GDC
Well, that does not mean compatibility would be lost. If they have capability to easily upgrade hardware [like on PC], software could still work as intended.

Man i still have my sony xperia z3, i don't do it for my phone and i really dont wanna do it for consoles. Now if this is like a 2018 holiday style deal sure im all for it

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Pretty much my thinking. I really don't know how anyone would want some things of PC gaming without all of the good parts.

So you would rather have none of the anythings from PC gaming?

Hint: its called options based on how much you can spend, what performance you want, and what is good enough for your enjoyment. Some people play PC games on low and don't give a fuck.

Wait when it was about Xbox i remember lots of complaints about upgrades, i guess now instead that's a awesome news right?

When Phil announced XBox Two I thought this was a stupid idea. But now if Sony does it, I have to say it's a cool idea.
Pun intended

orochi91

Oh but you see it too huh? Don't you see that this is the exit strategy for Sony from the console business? There's no way devs would be able to handle another target platform. It's just too much work and publishers won't be on board. This is dead in the water. LOLOLOLOL.

You and that poster have some intense confirmation bias and selecting reading going on.

Most people in this thread are not enthusiastic about this news.

If the PS4.5 sells really well, then yeah the priority will be for that instead of the original. Also, there's this thing called time. People only have so much time to optimize things, which is why consoles are a thing in the first place so that developers only have a couple platforms that they can really focus on and get the most out of, while when you get multiple iterations then it's hard to focus on all of them at once. This is really obvious with a lot of last gen ports and I don't see why it wouldn't be true here as well.

Even if the 4.5 sells like hotcakes, its not gonna overtake the current ps4 userbase anytime soon, and even if it does, its not gonna stop that userbase from buying games. Why would developers just throw that money away?

Last gen ports arentnt a good comparison... its completely different hardware, completely different operating systems, completely different devkits

A more powerful ps4 would be just like swapping out a gpu and/or cpu... its not a different platform.

I'm not a developer so i wont pretend to know, but building a game that scales its gfx options between to skus that are almost identical, cannot be as hard as porting a game to last gen, or trying to accommodate the large amount of different configurations as possible on PC

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hilarious, just yesterday pretty much everyone here was convinced that even a PS4 revision with integrated PSVR PU is lunacy.

DirtyLarry

I make a decent living and as a 41 year old with a good career and no kids I can support this hobby of mine, so as someone who is an all around gamer, meaning I own everything, a Gaming PC and all of the consoles, I am 110% down for this.

I have been a "PC gamer" for the past 13 years. In the last few years I have somewhat lapsed and not kept up with PC gaming though.* Looking back on those 13 years, if I had to average it out, I would say I purchased a new GPU for my PC about once every 3 years during the course of those 13 years. Why did I purchase a new GPU? To get better performance obviously.

If I could now just purchase a console and get better performance every 2-3 years, hell, I may even drop PC gaming completely.

* Now there is some more to my story that makes me lean this way. I have DeQuervains tendonitis, which only flares up now if I am on the computer too long. In fact it is the reason why I went back to consoles during the 360 and PS3 era.
There is also the fact that since I do sit in front of a computer most of my day at work, truth be told, I now do prefer my couch with my 65" 4K TV to sitting back in front of my computer.

So yeah, for me, this news if true means I may drop PC gaming all together. I know this is against so many beliefs around here, but it is the reality for my own situation. Now I also am very realistic about things and realize many gamers are younger and not in a financial position like myself and often are forced to make a decision on one platform or another one. So for them, I can easily see this meaning they will do the exact opposite and say screw it and finally go all PC. I do get that and realize why people would feel that way.

For my own situation, this is ideal and I can only hope it is true.

SpotAnime

Yea the rumor sounds like bullshit, this is probably PS5 research and someone got confused.

Well, a lot of sources corroborated on the story, so I would find it highly unlikely that so many people involved in discussions mixed up the story.

I believe the PS4K discussions did take place, but whether they are just to feel out developer/publisher interest or something more serious is what we'll find out eventually.

It could also be that this is Sony's PS5 in theory, but are sticking with the PS4 name a) so as to not burn consumers with a shorter generation cycle; and b) to signify this new iteration will be backwards compatible with PS4 games.

With Klepeck and Schreier behind this story I absolutely believe this is something Sony is working on and briefing devs about. Those guys know reporting.

That said, Sony can change their mind at any time. They might not see the need to release the 4.5 if VR doesn't take off.
Sony knows what MS is doing.We not for sure.And if the rumors about MS going iterative launches are true...they will dance that song too.After all I think Sony has never seen the opportunity of getting the videogames monopoly(in the console space)as near as today.

entremet

You're a little too optimistic

Incentive? Why? Out of the goodness of their hearts? lol this is a business. You want a new box and don't want to keep your old one? Sell it and buy a new one.

GPU on the PS4 is struggling on most modern AAA multiplats, not just the CPU.

Yeah.

People who keep bringing up a trade in programs sound bonkers.

Does Apple have a trade in program? Samsung?

Sony won't have one either. You can sell your PS4.0 independently.

I may expect promotions. Free games or something like that, but they're not losing money with trade in programs.

Hilarious, just yesterday pretty much everyone here was convinced that even a PS4 revision with integrated PSVR PU is lunacy.

I believed in you, Chitta. These Luddites just don't see how times are changing!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
There really doesn't need to be a large generation bump or backwards compatibility like there used to, assuming the x86 architecture is sustained and the OS is maintained. If your OS is largely built on top of open source packages, as an OEM you're good to go. If anything attempting to maintain backwards compatibility with wildly different architectures, and make that huge jump between major generations with mass marketing is way less efficient.

ps3ud0

I just want say fuck you forward compatible and fuck you cross gen!
Pretty much what I said in the last PS4.5 rumour thread - everythings gonna be cross gen so developers will be building their (gameplay) ideas on their lowest hardware target.

It could be argued that accelerated iterations with the requirement of forward compatibility could stagnate game design.

ps3ud0 8)

Sesha

Isn't this just the PS5?

If not, prepare for another 10 year console gen and future 4K remasters of current gen titles. Bloodborne 4K Edition with more DLC, let's go.

Edit: Then again, this could be Sony taking a step, like Microsoft is planning, away from the generational model.

Curufinwe

Or it will be like the time the gaming media insisted Sony, too were planning to use always online DRM in their new console, and it was bullshit fed to them by sources who were just looking to take some of the heat away from Microsoft.

A gaming console running games in native 4K is not plausible anytime soon.

ironcreed

Banned

jack-nicholson-o.gif

We have a saying in Hosein Abad : It doesn't rain because the black cat says so !!

The whole thing is fake , sony is not going to jeopardize their god astonishing ps4 sales by some half-dim-wit ideas like this .

Top Bottom