• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

It Sony really wanted to do this upgrade why not just build a PS4 that's capable of running 1080p 60fps? 4K TVs aren't even main stream in 2016. By the time the actual PS5 comes out 4K may be main stream.

HDTV and Blu Ray weren't mainstream when PS3 launched as well. 4K TV is widely available now and there are many affordable choices already. Only the 4K content is lacking.

So, if Sony and Microsoft are both looking into having hardware iterations come faster, would anybody be opposed to paying them $20-$30 bucks a month for powerful hardware well beyond being trapped by the $399 price model, and be able to trade it in for new hardware like every two years?

orochi91

Damn. I don't like this. This is pushing me to use PC as my main platform but I can't abandon those console/PlayStation exclusives. Damn.

I'm stuck in the same boat, habibi

Having to upgrade both my PC and console isn't ideal whatsoever.

But that's assuming PS4.5 is launching within the next couple years.

gelf

I didn't like the idea of this in MS thread and don't like it now its Sony. Long term well supported hardware stability is the main reason I like consoles. I don't trust devs to properly support and optimise for legacy hardware when more powerful options are available.

The God

Sony and MS aren't held hostage to long stagnating console generations anymore, because of the X86/64 architecture. The user-base will always carry over, and won't reset to zero with new hardware.

The guy I quoted said "kill this generation and move on" which I assume means to stop support for the current consoles and release whatever's next.

So PS5 then.

Yea probably.

I cannot believe this is even possible.

Just literally like a few days ago Shuhei told Eurogamer that PS4 is a "fixed platform and the same for everybody" for VR.

Maybe this is clickbait I dunno.

At most PS4.5 is a PS4 bundled with PS VR.

Zedox

This thread is a bit different to the Microsoft / new hardware thread lol

lol.

Oh man, between this and someone showing me your Twitter timeline, I'm guessing this just really made your inner fanboy super happy.

Unreal.

Yea, @woelfel is my twitter handle. Glad someone can show you how much of a fanboy I am (lololol). I just find it funny that there are more open people to the idea in this thread than in the MS thread (and a lot of doom and gloom of MS' console business as a whole and this signaling their exit strategy and why devs won't do it type of talk). Granted I do wish for Sony to do it as I do think that hardware becomes stale quickly nowadays and my games should be my games on the platform of my choice and as I upgrade a device on that platform, it should follow. So you may think I don't like Sony in some fanboy world where I have something against them and it's not true. But yes, I found this thread hilarious.

There are a lot of people who are more adverse to the idea (as evidenced of this thread) and I understand their reasoning...I just don't think hardware evolutions should be held back because people feel that they don't have the latest and greatest (just as with phones).

Trup1aya

Careful someone might ask you to go prove that. Not saying you're wrong but you can end up with some homework on your hands.

They can ask me, and I can quote things just like I did in the past, and they'll probably just ignore the facts same as before.

So I'll let them just go back and read the old threads themselves and just sip my tea.

kiguel182

One thing that might back fire if they are not careful is that while buying a new phone every few years is okay for most people, a gaming platform is a much more limited device. They need to be careful with how they price this and how frequent the upgrades are. Also, if the old device stops being supported quickly there will be backlash for sure.

Oh, I get it. And you know what? Why should I buy another Playstation if it gets outdated so quickly (now if I want the best games I have to keep buying a new one)? Why in the world wouldn't I just go to getting a PC where I at least can just upgrade parts. There is absolutely no advantage if consoles update quickly to having a console. You might as well get a PC. Same difference except you have more control over the quality of the components, you don't have to upgrade the whole system at once every time, and you don't have to pay for online on top of that! And I hear the games are much cheaper if you know what you are doing (wait for Steam sales or even GoG sales). Hell, if htey do this, why not go buy a Steam Box? Same difference except steam games are way cheaper than PS games.

There already is a device for people who want to be sure to always have top of the line graphics, it's called the PC. For those that don't care and want more convenience, that's what consoles are for. This ruins the convenience. All the sudden I have to worry if I have the right PS4 to run it (or if the graphics are going to be worse than advertised cause of course they'll show the PS4.5 graphics) and also if hte devs are going to care about making it run well or making sure a feature works on mine (oh, just get the most powerful one). At least with a PC I can easily upgrade a part to work if they want something to be more powerful.

They already use bullshots and downgrade games sonot much is going to change there.

I don't understand why releasing a new console every two years or so wouldn't work. Couldn't it just be like on PC, where the games visuals are just changed depending on the hardware that it's being run on?
Two years is too little,but four?.How old will be PS4 in 2017?.
If something iterative fully compatible launches make it less risky as Sony wont have to start from a zero base for next gen games.

Ushay

Oh so when people been talking about a Xbox One Pro (aka me) and the updated ways of hardware with consoles...some people "laughed". I hope it's true for all consoles. No need to keep these generations that long. This is exactly what a bunch of people speculated (just on the MS side based off of Phil's comments).

The hypocrisy is ripe isn't it? It was pretty obvious Sony would be following suite, MS have been very public about it. It's a smart strategy to gauge and then begin talking about it once they get a feel for the waters.

OT - I welcome these new devices
at the right price.

CaptNink

I say let's do it: an upgraded console every two years, with BC. Personally, I think it's great and where the business needs to go.

Fbh

If they do this I'm out. The fact the console is the same for the whole generation is one of the biggest plus points of console gaming to me.
The fact that in a bit over a month I'm getting the definitive version (at that point in time) of Uncharted 4, and that everyone playing online will be doing so under my same conditions is one of the main things I like about consoles.

If they want to change that I will just switch to PC gaming as my main gaming platform. The need to upgrade is still there, but you also get way more flexibility and customization

EvB

But it completely changes the major selling point which is that you only have to design your PSVR game for a single platform with set specs. If another PS4 is released then that's another set of specs you have to take into account.

Do you really think that the vast majority of VR games will be solely developed for the PSVR?

Pennywise

Are people...serious with this?

You realize the "leaving the console business" stuff had almost nothing to do with the iterative hardware bit and had everything to do with Microsoft taking the Xbox One library multiplatform. Right? I mean, you're not actually misrepresenting that discussion on purpose to make Sony look bad, are you?
Part of the usual suspect who're big MS fans, same goes for Zedox.
Rather not take anything anything serious from them.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If this is true, I see basically no reason to bother with a console at this point. I own both XB1/PS4 for exclusives but virtually the only difference if they become more powerful is those exclusives, and they're increasingly rare.

Both manufacturers should move to a full in subscription model. Approximately $125 per year for XBL/PSN plus a console that will be upgraded every few years. Whe the new one rolls out, the sub members get an automatic upgrade and all you do is ship you console back in their prepaid box. Consoles are back compat and your saves are already in the cloud and redownloaded.

Make money in the game sales and stabilize your revenue stream with those juicy subscription fees.

I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Trey

They can ask me, and I can quote things just like I did in the past, and they'll probably just ignore the facts same as before.

So I'll let them just go back and read the old threads themselves and sip my tea.

No one cares that much. People are hypocrites sometimes about goofy stuff. It's life.

I have zero doubt that this is going to happen, but maybe not in this capacity. I think a 1080p standard needs to be reached first. Nintendo's been doing it for years, why can't Sony and Microsoft?

Kleptok rides again. Well, at least this might give smaller studios more work to go around porting PS4.5 and Xbox One.1 games to the current boxes.

Still, hard to imagine this was the game plan for either company going into this generation.

If it is the same architecture, they won't need ports. It would be just like buying a better computer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol.

Yea, @woelfel is my twitter handle. Glad someone can show you how much of a fanboy I am (lololol). I just find it funny that there are more open people to the idea in this thread than in the MS thread

Oh yeah, did you do a tally?

I wanna see the receipts.

No Sony, no

I call this BS. Sony would do like sega and shoot themselves in the foot like the genesis CD

If this is where console gaming is headed, there won't be any reason to not get a PC instead.

Still seems like a bad idea to me.

lol

No way.

How can so many people, just on page one, be for painfully long console cycles?
I'm about to sell my s6 active for 300 and get an s7 or an s7 edge for around 600 on swappa.
So I'll end up spending 300 or 400. Why? Power, features. Etc.

That's just me...

But there is no reason you all can hold on to your 1080p boxes. I'm sure this means better compatibility.

Also the reason not to get a pc is 400$ vs $1000 to $1500(if you spec out). Then you upgrade your gpu every 2 years the same way spending the same basic amount.

Is there a consensus best 4K TV for gaming?

Sony or Samsung.
Or LG oled

Catvoca

Banned
I don't know why you're being defensive as there was no snark in my reply. Your original post was vague so when you post that Patrick broke the "fiasco" for MS people are going to refer to the biggest fuck up they did, which was their original plans with the DRM.

Yeah, sorry. I thought you were the person I'd already replied to explaining what I meant. I edited my post but you probably didn't see it. I shouldn't have been so hostile, my bad. I'd still say the 180 was a bigger fiasco then the initial DRM stuff though, it was so so crazy when it the news first came out! I could have been more specific though.

FLEABttn

Banned
-MS tries a payment plan where you effectively amortize the cost of a console over 2 years.
-The big two both convert to x86.
-MS recently talking about taking mobile upgrade cycles.
-Rumors of half generational hardware increases.

Prepare for console leases structured around 2-3 year long generations, similar to but not quite like cell phones.

Tigress

I don't understand why releasing a new console every two years or so wouldn't work. Couldn't it just be like on PC, where the games visuals are just changed depending on the hardware that it's being run on?

Tell me, if they are going to update teh console every two years, why would you buy a console over a PC? You have more control over the components on a PC, online play is free, you can just upgrade what needs to if a game needs more power (not the whole thing entirely)? And the games are cheaper! Hell, if you just want a premade game box, you can buy a steam box and then not be beholden to PSN/Live prices for games.

What possible advantage does buying the console get? Exclusives? Well, in 2 years is it really worth buying a console for what exclusives it gets in two years? I'm not going to pay 400 dollars for maybe the one or two exclusives that might come out in 2 years that I need that console to play.

AzaK

I am not sure how to feel about this. Don't think I like this very much.

I think people just need to get over their issue with having to "have the best" all the time. If platform holders start doing this, they will ensure that games are all backwards and forwards compatible. It's just that after a couple of years you won't have the best console (Of your platform holder) any more. The games will work fine.

I think this is a great thing personally. If you have the money and want to spend it, you can. if not you can stay with the OG and still play ALL the games.

If they do it right, you might find your OG PS4 plays PS 4.5, PS5, and PS6 games, albeit at a lesser res and/or fidelity, thereby giving you more than standard 5year gen on your hardware before having to upgrade.

CHC

I wonder if this would be retroactive for existing games or just an option for future ones (like the New 3DS kind of is).

Also.... games at 4K is a HUGE leap in performance. I have a hard time believing that any affordable console could run much at 4K, outside of a indies or stylized / simple looking games.

Take the defensiveness on GAF earlier last week when Microsoft publicly stated their plans about multiplatform Xbox and iterative hardware.

Then hold it up against what some people in this thread are saying.

It's really quite disturbing.

Sony Too circa 2013 all over again.

I have zero doubt that some developers (which ones? Indie devs? Major devs? Devs who've worked with Sony before? Devs who are making PS VR games now?) have said this and I have zero doubt that Kotaku may have heard this and is reporting on it.

Are people...serious with this?

You realize the "leaving the console business" stuff had almost nothing to do with the iterative hardware bit and had everything to do with Microsoft taking the Xbox One library multiplatform. Right? I mean, you're not actually misrepresenting that discussion on purpose to make Sony look bad, are yo
u?

It's literally the same usual suspects ignoring context in order to prop up a point that they can't otherwise prove.

Top Bottom