• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

No way going up to 4K from what they are outputting now would be a ".5" upgrade.

Either way, consoles turning into PCs is pointless. I'll just upgrade my damn gaming PC.

Yopis

How much are they going to sell the new version then? The PS4 still isn't exactly cheap.

At 400 bucks it was cheap. How low do people want these boxes? Gaming has always been an expensive hobby. Prices today are pretty cheap with deals and drops quicker than I can remember.

The God

I'm still kind of in shock that so many are ignoring how much of an improvement 4k games are.

That shit isn't PS4.5

Thats straight next gen. Hence why I don't believe this rumor at all.

People keep insisting on the credibility of the author, so either:

A. Sony is releasing a very expensive machine
B. There is no 4K PS4 and we might just get a slightly improved console

vpance

agreed, but an APU..? By AMD...? I doubt that'll be early 2017 then. OR you can get ready to be on a very long waiting list. That process needs to become somewhat standard first or they will have too many bad wafers, that can't be downgraded and sold in lower end GPUs.

No clue on who might get first dibs but I imagine Sony ordering chips in the 10s of millions might help get some deals worked out. Late 2017 to mid 2018 could be doable

Very smart if true. Extends the life of the current PS4, keeps users in the same ecosystem, saves R&D costs of a new platform. People were already re buying hardware with just an case revision.

Fuchsdh

I’d think you’d need more than a half-step upgrade to a PS4 to be able to support 4k gaming.

Even affordable PC rigs aren't really up to 4K@60 gaming, I can't see how they could make that happen and make it console price-point affordable in the next year.

A shorter console generation giving us a PS5 or whatever in 2018 or 2019 makes way more sense. Especially since PS4 is already generally dominant in most markets and technically has slightly better-looking games, I don't see what they gain.

Dmented

Banned
Try running Battlefront at 900p and 60 fps on a Radeon HD 7850 which is the closest GPU we have compared to the PS4 GPU.

The PS4 CPU also runs at just 1.6Ghz. Good luck running anything on PC at 1.6 Ghz.

You should also look into the insane markups on Nvidia GPUs. They make hundreds of dollars in profit off of them.

You can. Easily. In fact there's R7 260X's running Battlefront at 900p at over 60fps on medium settings (pretty comparable to consoles). 260X is worse than a 7850.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Given it would likely be on x86 the difference in PS4.5 and PS5 is .5 PSs.
Yeah, I do in fact wonder if we'll even see a PS5 in that sense - that the games for it would only work on it and no other older hardware. I actually doubt it (and it's a good thing).

Say whatever but if MS launched next year an Xbox 3 with a Polaris APU i would change my PS4 for one without any doubts,as soon as I could afford it and i am sure so would do a lot of gaffers.This is what must be happenning.Sonybis quite risk adversive and uses to move with the competition.

Pineapple

I'm still kind of in shock that so many are ignoring how much of an improvement 4k games are.

That shit isn't PS4.5

Well, I do believe the rumor, although you're right - with the added horsepower required to run 4K, this would essentially be a PS5 in every way other than the name.

wapplew

The article seem a little too much. Reporting Sony is making a upgraded PS4 as fact will hurt its sales and momentum.
What if it turn out to be PS5 in 2 years?

People keep insisting on the credibility of the author, so either:

A. Sony is releasing a very expensive machine
B. There is no 4K PS4 and we might just get a slightly improved console

It's gotta be the latter. It's probably a 4k Blu-ray machine that has the option to play games at 4k.

Kysen

Sorry but this is bs, 4k on PC requires a 980Ti/Titan X for middling framerates no way is anything on that level going to be put in a console.

4k gaming = we can output 3D at 4k/60 and the console is powerful enough to push resolutions above 1080p

If the thing comes out within 3 years games won't run at native 3840x2160. Except for Super Stardust 4k.

ZangBa

Pretty much my thinking. I really don't know how anyone would want some things of PC gaming without all of the good parts.

Not just this, but I'm expected to believe these companies are going to handle multiple different versions of the same game, probably end up outsourcing them to companies like Iron Galaxy or High Voltage Studios, without it negatively impacting the game/game design? They can't even make games run well enough on one platform these days, I have 0 faith in this.

4k gaming for 599?

Keep dreaming

$1000
read up on pascal architecture 400€ and you're in, coming Q3 this year. 600 is doable price wise next year. Maybe not early next year, unless it's a very soft-launch.

4k gaming = we can output 3D at 4k/60 and the console is powerful enough to push resolutions above 1080p

If the thing comes out within 3 years games won't run at native 3840x2160. Except for Super Stardust 4k.

Nobody says, they will run on "ultra" settings @60fps. It can be done, if it's the same graphic settings as PS4 just higher resolution.

How much are they going to sell the new version then? The PS4 still isn't exactly cheap.

Even if this rumour is true we are still probably at least 1.5 years away from the launch (earliest I see is holiday 2017). PS4 could be $249 or at least $299 then. Could see something like $499 for this new model (again if this ends up happening in the first place).

Abounder

Banned
Consoles need an upgrade for VR, so I dig these rumors. For example the Oculus Rift on the PC needs something like a 970 GPU. Anyway exciting times.

I was considering cost of scale and this being released a couple of years from now.

If it comes out this year then yea $1000 would be on the low end.

A couple of years from now we will be talking about PS5, though. So who would buy this? It just doesn't make sense.

That shit isn't PS4.5

Well of course I don't think they will pack in a 980 ti. Of course it would be a special design by AMD without the crazy markups. I'm just talking about raw GPU power it takes to render games at 4k. Combining it with the small form factor of a console (with mostly cheap 80mm fans) ... I don't see it.

The trash CPU of modern consoles is another problem but resolution is a GPU problem first and has nothing to do with the CPU.

Also: The 7870 runs BF4 at Ultra settings in 40fps average in 1080p. 60fps in 900p shouldn't be a problem at medium settings

A 4K caliber APU would be pretty cool.

I just don't believe it can be made for consoles that sell at ~$399.

Nah guys, c'mon. It's not going to have the driving power to run modern AAA games at 4K.

That's some mental gymnastics.

Yep. It's "different" what Microsoft is doing.
When, in reality, all 3 console manufacturers are pursuing the exact same thing.

xxxx "ecosystem". Games/platform as a service. Get used to that term.
The 8th generation was the last one.

Trup1aya

Exit strategy of course. :)

Lol it's just funny seeing some of the same faces, but with completely different tones.

No where near the same thing.

XBO is getting outsold by PS4 2:1? It makes sense for ppl to say that about MS.

Not really. Two companies are rumored to be employing the EXACTY SAME STRATEGY. How can the implications be polar opposite?

People were saying MS was leaving consoles because that's what they wanted to believe, not because it made any sense.

If someone wanted to say MS SHOULD leave consoles because they are being outsold 2:1, that's one thing, but to say MS must be leaving console because they are making interarive consoles doesn't make sense. It makes even less sense now.

Really don't like the idea of this if true, risks splintering the user base, making games on the weaker hardware run like shit or on the more powerful hardware that don't bother to utilise the power available, and will give developers no incentive to learn the hardware enough to get the most out of it.

I mean not having to worry about compatibility and incremental upgrades is one of console gaming a greatest strengths, why everyone wants to just abandon that makes no sense to me.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oh but you see it too huh? Don't you see that this is the exit strategy for Sony from the console business? There's no way devs would be able to handle another target platform. It's just too much work and publishers won't be on board. This is dead in the water. LOLOLOLOL.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

Have a feeling the megatons are going to dropping big time at E3 this year. I just bought a PS4 in Feb so as long as they still support that (I'm confident they will) I don't see a problem. I think these rumors of iterative consoles are awesome.

Would make sense for them to have 1 box that does ps4 games and ps vr (if vr takes off), probably cheaper for them to manufacture too. Hell I'd be down for an upgraded box, seeing as im interested in PS VR and would like the ps4 to have a non shit wifi card

Why?

As long as all new PS4 hardware is forwards and backwards compatible, games are still optimized for all hardware configurations, and your original PS4 still plays new games for the next 10 years, then how is this not a win for gamers?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sell your current PS4 in a couple years, and spend a couple more hundred bucks to get a better one that plays all your older and newer games in 4K? The thing I dislike about console games is the lack of choice. I would love to play jacked up Naughty Dog games in 4K.

Minimum: ps4 while obviously maxing it out
Recommended: Ps4.5 running vr games at native 120fps while having vr graphics exceeding ps4 games of today.
That and anything like ssaa for games and better post processing effects.
I wish this would be true, but unless SONY really enforces it, the real "playable spec" is going to be on the 4.5
In a year playing vr on a regular ps4 will be ghetto mode

People saying arrogant Sony realize that Microsoft will be doing this and Nintendo already did for decades, right?

I'd imagine some of these people bashing Sony are people who bashed Microsoft for doing this (because reasons) and are now only bashing Sony to save face and not look obvious. Then there's those who truly believe this is in fact a bad thing for the industry.

You know, you do have a valid point.

Reading comprehension game is solid.
Take the defensiveness on GAF earlier last week when Microsoft publicly stated their plans about multiplatform Xbox and iterative hardware.

Then hold it up against what some people in this thread are saying.

It's really quite disturbing.

Sony Too circa 2013 all over again.

I have zero doubt that some developers (which ones? Indie devs? Major devs? Devs who've worked with Sony before? Devs who are making PS VR games now?) have said this and I have zero doubt that Kotaku may have heard this and is reporting on it.

Bruh, this totally signals that Sony is leaving the console business! /s
Are people...serious with this?

You realize the "leaving the console business" stuff had almost nothing to do with the iterative hardware bit and had everything to do with Microsoft taking the Xbox One library multiplatform. Right? I mean, you're not actually misrepresenting that discussion on purpose to make Sony look bad, are you?

vpance

The article seem a little too much. Reporting Sony is making a upgraded PS4 as fact will hurt its sales and momentum.
What if it turn out to be PS5 in 2 years?

2018 is too soon for PS5 IMO.

The whole number advances need to be 8-10x jump in power and you're not gonna get that until 2021 most likely. 2017 is a perfect time to get PS4.5 out there

Top Bottom