• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

vcc

You don't know what developers tools are out there to make this happen. Obviously, it's happening and no devs have come out bitching about it. There's a ton of people in this thread and the Xbox thread who would love to upgrade.

We're mostly the shiny toy demographic. It's like going to a MTG grand prix and doing a survey of who like Magic. Your sample skews your results.

If they just had it as a OS level thing where they just add more GPU processing units to the pool doing the work and it raises frame rates and resolution with no work then maybe it'll work but I don't think it'd be that easy and I suspect some fool engine dev did crazy insane things for better performance that will break when something fundamental changes.

gamz

Older iPads aren't the same as Older PS4s, this is completely different.

????

Sure they are. People buy the last generation iPads because they don't care about the updated processor or retina display and all that shit. Some people don't care about the PS4.5 that has 4K and whatever else. It's the same.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Not sure if people are going to enjoy this evolution of the typical console generation. There are a variety of problems that will be introduced by doing this, and while there are some clear benefits, it's really tough to say if the good will outweigh the bad.

I'll resist making a gloating pro-pc comment (that platform certainly has its own fair share of issues), but I'd really like to.

I meant real evidence ;..

If you don't believe message board posts from those who'd have some information and Patrick's excellent track record (and developers talking at GDC) then you're going to have to wait until E3 for your tangible proof.

FinalStageBoss said:
yea that's why this rumor sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me

You're not going to get AAA games rendered at 4K with the bells and whistles you have now.

Asd202

The highest end gaming PC's can't do 4k at 60fps in modern games. My $1400 PC can't do high end 4k.

What are they planning to do to make the PS4 handle 4k with only an incremental upgrade?

It's marketing it will be possible but no developer will go for 4k well outside of maybe some indies.

Ashhong

I'm ok with this if the only purpose of the PS4K is to play games in 4K and help drive the VR. As long as it doesnt ruin my own experience with the PS4 I currently have.

MogCakes

If this can run 4k I wouldn't expect it to be anything less than $1k. The high-end PS4 so to speak. I don't know. What would the PS5 even look like? There may not be a PS5 anymore. Just more powerful iterations of PS4.

gamz

We're mostly the shiny toy demographic. It's like going to a MTG grand prix and doing a survey of who like Magic. Your sample skews your results.

If they just had it as a OS level thing where they just add more GPU processing units to the pool doing the work and it raises frame rates and resolution with no work then maybe it'll work but I don't think it'd be that easy and I suspect some fool engine dev did crazy insane things for better performance that will break when something fundamental changes.

We don't know? I'm sure MS and Sony has had conversation with Devs and test and whatever else. It must be doable if this is going forward. I guess we'll see.....

Jarnet87

Depends on price for me. I can't afford to be throwing full console prices on a minor upgrade system every 2-3 years. This decision from Sony and Microsoft is just pushing me closer to PC only.

Tigress

Not sure if people are going to enjoy this evolution of the typical console generation. There are a variety of problems that will be introduced by doing this, and while there are some clear benefits, it's really tough to say if the good will outweigh the bad.

I'll resist making a gloating pro-pc comment (that platform certainly has its own fair share of issues), but I'd really like to.

If they start doing this I'll agree with everyone who keeps telling me that I'd be better off getting a PC. There's no advantage to having a console if they move consoles to something like this. None. It's all the annoyances of a PC without the benefits of a PC (like no online fee, cheap games, easy to just upgrade a part, picking your own hardware so you know you're getting exactly what you want). I suppose I don't have to put together a PC, but then why not just get Steam Machines which have the advantage of PCs and the cheap Steam games?

orochi91

If it's launching this year, then I'll need to sell my PS4 now while the used-value is good and replace it with the PS4.5K this fall.

Hopefully the new iteration lasts at least ~3 years.

I'm ok with this if the only purpose of the PS4K is to play games in 4K and help drive the VR. As long as it doesnt ruin my own experience with the PS4 I currently have.

If you, in all honesty, think that this PS4K machine will be able to play AAA games like God of War IV at 4K ... I don't know what to tell you.
If you could PM me, I have a wonderful suspension bridge real estate property I'd like to tell you about

WEGGLES

If this happens I'm totally out when it comes to consoles. The few and far between exclusive games aren't worth messing with this. Plus, with the steam link I have my "comfy couch gaming".

I will not upgrade my PS4 I will not buy a PS5 if this is the road they're going on. That money is better spent keeping my PC current.

(This is assuming they're adding stuff that affects game performance. "other" features don't bother me).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Okay. Thanks for stopping by to enlighten me with your condescending attitude.

I'm just speaking loosely and candidly on a forum full of nerds, as if I'm shit-talking amongst friends. It's not like I would actually voice my concerns to an official representative this way.

And let me guess. You think I'm an entitled gamer because I don't like the idea of Sony splitting up the installbase and treating their fans like beta-testers, thanking them for being early adopters while asking them for another $500. I'm just another asshole asking for a handout, right?

People make their investments in consoles because of their stability and reliability. You trust it's going to be supported as a primary platform for many years, it's a significant part of the appeal in the first place. Otherwise everyone would just be PC gamers, which is far from the truth.
If this was a legitimate PS4.5 I'd be upset. If it's just an upgrade that allows a normal PS4 to play 4K video content and typical stuff like a bigger stock hard drive, then I think that's just fine.

Im sorry, you simply don't understand. There will be no install base splitting. Just people playing the same games at different graphic settings. Just like pc but without the "hassles", whatever they are. Your ps4 will still be good to go, unless playing at 30fps while others play at 60 destroys the experience for you. If that is the case your issues have nothing to do with video games.

Well that sucks, I can understand the point to help the VR experiences. But this won't go down well, this is a path I don't want consoles to take.

prwxv3

If it bothers you just buy every other console (assuming it's every 3-4 years) they are not going to make the older console obsolete after the upgraded console is released.

Top Bottom