• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Pimpbaa

Older iPads aren't the same as Older PS4s, this is completely different.

It's exactly the same. You don't miss out on gameplay features on old ipads and you don't miss out on gameplay features on PC if you are running the game on lower settings.

Solrac

The highest end gaming PC's can't do 4k at 60fps in modern games. My $1400 PC can't do high end 4k.

What are they planning to do to make the PS4 handle 4k with only an incremental upgrade?

nah i think if this is real this new model will be for VR and the classic just for normal games, if not it doesn't make sense.

Markoman

Can some tech expert calculate if it is really possible to launch a 4K console at 400/500$ in fall/winter 2016?
Which of the current GPUs is capable at running games @4K, 30fps and has a reasonable price? You won't get a GTX970 in a box for 500$ even when the Pascal cards are released that's for sure.
The PS 4.5 will also need a better CPU and more RAM...aaaand a 1TB+ HD at least, because 4K textures take up a lot more space, don't they?

oti

Banned
......and so it continues.

ATT000044442.gif

Sony has said that they're treating PSVR as a new platform. So they'd be launching two new platforms if this PS4.5 came out this year on top of having to market whichever games they have planned for this year while explaining to people how things are going to be different across the PS4 and PS4.5 as well as PSVR. To say that it would be a mess is an understatement. It doesn't make sense. Especially since Sony's approach this gen has been very straight forward.

Mediking

I guess its time to start the original PS4 is dead now memes:

"PS4 robbed"

"PS4... gone too soon."

Replace the Wii U in this image with the Playstation 4 when the PS4.5's model comes out:

sad_wii_u_in_window__medium.jpg

Multiplayer will be fun now when I'm getting shot by someone running at 120fps because my ps4 can't run it that high. So much fun!!

Fuck it I'll just got PC 100% if that's the way especially with the reducing amount of exclusives the consoles are getting.

yuraya

The weak cpu is probably the biggest reason Sony is doing this stuff. Those things are so outdated and so weak they probably prohibiting any/all advancements they want to do with VR. They also hurt any 60fps goals. And in upgrading the cpu they will ofc also make you upgrade the gpu so the 4K route makes sense. Its gonna be costly tho but Sony probably doesn't care since VR is gonna be expensive to begin with.

It wasn't too long ago when Gabe Newell criticized Sony for holding the industry back with its stupid cell technology. Look at em now. What a difference a decade makes. The traditional console model has been outdated for a long time. Its time to grow out of the 90s. An evolution is needed. Sony are doing the right thing.

Asd202

I also find it hard to belive it's coming out this year or early in the next do Sony really expect a lot of people to buy $500 VR and what seems to be $400+ console in spawn of a few months? Yeah good luck with that maybe some core gamers will buy this but casuals won't touch this model with a 100ft pole and it will devalue the original PS4.

wrowa

I'm generally open to the idea, but I hope they don't plan to release this PS4.5 this year. With PSVR releasing in October, an overhauled PS4.5 a month later would just be too much.
Also, I want that Ninendo's NX at least gets a chance to succeed lol

JBwB

Whilst I'm now okay with this plan it still annoys me.

Ugh I was planning on buying a PS4 this year for U4, FFXV & P5...
I'll still be buying one this year, but now it looks like I'll have to sell it the moment this upgraded version comes out... ARGH!

vcc

If you, in all honesty, think that this PS4K machine will be able to play AAA games like God of War IV at 4K ... I don't know what to tell you.
If you could PM me, I have a wonderful suspension bridge real estate property I'd like to tell you about

I don't think video cards at that price point have jump 400% in pixel pushing power in 2.5 years.

Wonko_C

If this can run 4k I wouldn't expect it to be anything less than $1k. The high-end PS4 so to speak. I don't know. What would the PS5 even look like? There may not be a PS5 anymore. Just more powerful iterations of PS4.

Playstation 4S
Playstation 5
Playstation 5c
Playstation 5S
Playstation 6
Playstation 6S

All built on the same architecture so yeah. Heh...

chepu

I can see 3 year period upgrades with permanent compatibility until just too outdated, like the iphone. lots of new games can run okay...ish? on older devices while the new devices have all the bells and whistles, that way if you buy PS7? you can still play all of ps 4,5 and 6 games you couldnt due to whatever reason. and if you keep your PS4 you can play most newish games albeit at their respective framerates and resolution.

Im not too sure about it, has its pros and cons

Lingitiz

I have to laugh at the "Im going PC only posts"

like you dont really need to think about upgrading GPU around every 4 years to keep up with current releases there...

The point is that people value having one spec for consoles and not being pushed to upgrade. This route is the PC infrastructure with few of the benefits. If you buy a PC you buy into an open platform.

ExVicis

It's exactly the same. You don't miss out on gameplay features on old ipads and you don't miss out on gameplay features on PC if you are running the game on lower settings.
Like I said, we already tried cross-gen and it didn't work out that way at all. Features were missing from games, graphical setting noticeably different and playerbases were split. What's to stop that from happening here?

thuway

2016 is not happening.

1. AMD Zen chips haven't launched yet.
2. The first 14 NM card's havent shipped
3. HBM is still in its infancy, with Fury X suffering a 4 GB cap.
4. Launching Q4 2016 would put PSVR in direct competition with PS4.5.
5. It's MARCH, and we've yet to hear a single announcement.
6. Developers are JUST now hearing about it. Sounds like devkits haven't even SHIPPED.

Conclusion? 2017/8 sounds realistic. More 4K televisions will be in consumer hands, 14nm GPUs will have ironed out any superlative yield issues, and enough PSVR headsets will have sold to consumers to start speaking about new hardware.

Asd202

Dont you "panic" existing ps4 users

Only if some kind of good trade-in will be available in my country which I highly doubt. I fully expect the trade-in (it that's what it's going to be) to be limited to a few of all countries PS4 is available.

I am surprised to be honest. Sony has no reason at all to do this, a game like Uncharted 4 and Horizon really show what their system is capable of and that's not even the limit. On top of that the fact that their system is selling like hotcakes and the competition obviously isn't going to top that anymore. Do they really need this, already?

wrowa

Im not taking it that way. More just that the PS4 will still get all the same support

Which is obvious, since no sane developer would focus on the PS4.5 when the PS4 has a user base of 40 million. It wouldn't make any financial sense to shift the primary focus away from the old PS4.

Im sorry, you simply don't understand. There will be no install base splitting. Just people playing the same games at different graphic settings. Just like pc but without the "hassles", whatever they are. Your ps4 will still be good to go, unless playing at 30fps while others play at 60 destroys the experience for you. If that is the case your issues have nothing to do with video games.

Assuming that this is actually a thing that is happening, a user playing a game at 30FPS vs someone at 60FPS is at a very clear disadvantage in a fast paced MP setting.

Iceternal

2016 is not happening.

1. AMD Zen chips haven't launched yet.
2. The first 14 NM card's havent shipped
3. HBM is still in its infancy, with Fury X suffering a 4 GB cap.
4. Launching Q4 2016 would put PSVR in direct competition with PS4.
5. It's MARCH, and we've yet to hear a single announcement.
6. Developers are JUST now hearing about it. Sounds like devkits haven't even SHIPPED.

Conclusion? 2017/8 sounds realistic. 4K televisions will be in consumer hands, 14nm GPUs will have ironed out any superlative yield issues, and enough PSVR headsets will be in the hands of consumers to start speaking about new hardware.

They definitely won't, yet.

Pennywise

The five stages are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Everyone moves through these stages at their own pace.

Already through.

Oh well.

I wonder how Sony will react.
More developers will obviously leak more details along the way and I kinda doubt that Sony will keep shut until E3.
Or are they going to ?

Top Bottom