• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

750ti actually *shouldn't* keep up with PS4 based on its spec, and yet it mostly has, and is. 7870 is doing better than PS4 settings according to the benches I saw in the other thread. As it should. Like I've said, no magic. It is what it is.
It doesn't keep up with XBO either, and it has more teraflops. What I'm talking about is that last year games were optimized for the 750ti, and it outperformed both PS4 and XBO. Now developers seem to have switched focus to newer GPUs, and now it performs much worse.

That is the PC model, and if you want to gamble with which GPU is going to get supported longer, I respect that. But i don't want to gamble, I want to buy a console and know that in the next 5 years it is going to get games that arw optimized for it.

Yeah, he hinted TLG at E3

Oh damn, that's nice then.

I don't have a PS4 yet but thought around the time of U4 would be good, but now I don't know. However he says people shouldnt panic. So maybe it's a trade your old system for the new one thing? I kind of doubt that though.

Asd202

Hypothetically, wouldn't having two consoles capable of playing the game at different fps cause problems online? I've noticed when I play at 120hz with no vsync on PC in BF4 etc that I get a lot better score than playing at 60fps with vsync on. I have an advantage over my friend who only has a 60hz monitor vs mine. So Playing on a ps4 at 30fps would put you at a disadvantage against someone playing the same game at 60fps on a ps4.5, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it fragment online? Would they have to have separate servers for people on 4 vs 4.5 because of the disparity in frame rate and res etc?

Like someone else said the whole thing about consoles is a level playing field and this kinda goes right up against that full force.

That already happens with PC's developers just won't give a shit.

I'd be down for this if Microsoft releases a beefier Xbox One, or whatever they'll call it this year, given that there's a reasonable price point, and/or a path to upgrade by trading in your old console to lessen the price.

Kotaku is an opinion and clickbait based blog site and is relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching gifs and not on serious news reporting.

Let's take a look at some other 'articles' from Mr. Patrick Klepek. I do not know how someone can take a 'rumor' published by him seriously.

My PC Upgraded To Windows 10 Without Asking, Then Immediately Broke

That Time Xbox 360's Uno Game Was Flooded With Dick Pics

The FBI Made A Video Game And It Sucks

Totally 100% Reasonable Mashup Combines Frozen Songs With Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Fan Edited Trailer For The New Ghostbusters Is So Much Better

A Very Mean Mario Maker Checkpoint

An Eight-Year-Old Just Wrecked Me In Mario Maker

Guy Realizes Catherine Totally Predicted His Relationship Woes

Reminder: Dragon’s Dogma’s Ending Is Completely Ridiculous
How would those articles disprove him? Patrick was the first to report the Xbox One 180 and the Infinity Ward stories. His track record is incredibly solid.

I'm also fine with just treating it as a hypothetical "better PS4" that doesn't do 4K in almost any game.
Considering the Efficiency increases in Carrizo, if applied to a new Console APU, they could get more than 40% decrease in power or a similar increase in performance. In the past Sony chose to reduce the power used which helped decrease costs. This time they might choose to increase performance to support VR better...that being the only difference between older and newer PS4 or about 3 TF instead of 1.8 TF at the same power.

4K gaming, as many have stated is just not possible @ 28nm and will wait for 14NM FinFET Zen + Polaris + HBM in 2018+.

bud23

Wouldn't it fragment online? Would they have to have separate servers for people on 4 vs 4.5 because of the disparity in frame rate and res etc?

Like someone else said the whole thing about consoles is a level playing field and this kinda goes right up against that full force.

Exactly

KOHIPEET

This. There are 40+ million PS4s out there and that number grows daily. Selling software & services to these people will remain a priority for the foreseeable future, it can't not. At same time modern PC gaming is filled with former core console gamers who were willing to pay a premium for more capable hardware. At this point not giving those types a people more options within the PlayStation ecosystem is literally just leaving money on the table, especially as the chasm between current consoles and PC widens exponentially as time goes on.

Plus it solidifies PSVR going forward as it would be able to receive the more ambitious Vive/Rift ports.

Viewing it this way kinda makes sense. Color me interested. I for one would definitely pay for a beefed up PS. As long as it provides the "extra".

CREMSteve

I'd buy a more powerful ps4 or upgrade the current one, either way, who cares. Just give me more power! I don't even have a 4K TV and I'd be all over this development. :D

elfinke

Kotaku is an opinion and clickbait based blog site and is relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching gifs and not on serious news reporting.

Let's take a look at some other 'articles' from Mr. Patrick Klepek. I do not know how someone can take a 'rumor' published by him seriously.

My PC Upgraded To Windows 10 Without Asking, Then Immediately Broke

Lol, this is great.

E3 ought to be great.

SeanTSC

Party pooper.

And this would make sense. Revision usually are very minimal upgrades.

Rationality and sensibility is my kind of party!

But yeah, a simple hardware revision for HDMI 2.0+ just makes the most sense if it's coming this year. Actually thinking that Sony is going to cram some new APU capable of 4k output for regular games into the PS4 in 2016 is really, really silly and highly improbable.

A minor revision with the updated HDMI spec so that it can play 4k blu-rays and streaming and maybe some 4k 2D games or stuff like Trine is the simplest and most likely scenario. It also goes with the "PS4K" mention in the Kotaku article.

Also, seriously, I will buy a new one just for a real SATA3.0 chipset. JUST DO IT SONY.

FATALITY

Banned
Been saying for years that upgradable hardware was a possibility console manufacturers should embrace.

Even suggested this for the PS4 when Sony announced Project MOrpheous, since the console wasn't manufactured with VR in mind. It seems it might become true after all.

thats false

Damn, this years E3 is shaping up to be pretty wild one. There might be two new console announcements: this (if it's real) and the NX.

And the new Microsoft model.

It doesn't keep up with XBO either, and it has more teraflops. What I'm talking about is that last year games were optimized for the 750ti, and it outperformed both PS4 and XBO. Now developers seem to have switched focus to newer GPUs, and now it performs much worse.

That is the PC model, and if you want to gamble with which GPU is going to get supported longer, I respect that. But i don't want to gamble, I want to buy a console and know that in the next 5 years it is going to get games that arw optimized for it.

You're making blanket statements for case-driven scenarios.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Considering the Efficiency increases in Carrizo, if applied to a new Console APU, they could get more than 40% decrease in power or a similar increase in performance. In the past Sony chose to reduce the power used which helped decrease costs. This time they might choose to increase performance to support VR better...that being the only difference between older and newer PS4 or about 3 TF instead of 1.8 TF at the same power.

4K gaming, as many have stated is just not possible @ 28nm and will wait for 14NM FinFET Zen + Polaris + HBM in 2018+.

Very informative and concise explanation.

platina

If it's that then I could totally understand it coming out this year. It'd be more along the lines of the revisions Sony has done in the past with their hardware instead of some massive power upgrade.
This wouldn't make sense then
this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall.

MrMephistoX

There's probably more to it than this but I don't really see a problem with it if it's just a resolution bump and developers treat PS4 as the minimum spec. PS4 medium settings PS4.5 ULTRA.

Cynn

So by the logic of a lot of posters in the Xbox threads, Sony is leaving the console space now and releasing a Sony OS HTPC. Crow is being served very early this generation.

I'm excited for both a PS4K and the Xbox One+ or whatever. Both of these devices will cause some confusion so I'm interested to see how things go. Now the question is: Who's NEW console will be more powerful?

Supposed releasing this year?

Now it sounds more like a revision we always get with the Sony consoles; so realistically new HDMI spec and 4k blu-ray support as an "upgrade".

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'd buy a more powerful ps4 or upgrade the current one, either way, who cares. Just give me more power! I don't even have a 4K TV and I'd be all over this development. :D

Me too. I think to alleviate people's worries is for Sony and MS to guarantee a base level of performance for the current consoles. Any games that come out have to be able to work on those systems guaranteed for at least 5 years of the console's lifecycle (ie: a generation).

farisr

What if it's a software update and not hardware type? Is this possible..
112lt6uob3y.jpg

rokkerkory

So by the logic of a lot of posters in the Xbox threads, Sony is leaving the console space now and releasing a Sony OS HTPC. Crow is being served very early this generation.

I'm excited for both a PS4K and the Xbox One+ or whatever. Both of these devices will cause some confusion so I'm interested to see how things go. Now the question is: Who's NEW console will be more powerful?

NX of course

Pennywise

I'm surprised a wild Bish hasn't appeared in here yet lol

Why should he ?
Up until now it was pretty civil with some heated discussions here and there, but nothing really bad.
Zoetis is known.

What a great topic.
As much as you hate or love this "upgrade" and however it may look like, we had both authors participating, Zoetis who knows more and is dropping a few lines and now we even got Jeff Rigby.

Apple faces almost no competition at their price points and general tablet sales are down as well. iPad sales hit an obvious wall when people felt that the one they had was good enough. You just can't get people to buy incremental upgrades at pace without the heavy carrier subsidies that Smartphones enjoyed.

I'd say that Samsung become a great competition, in any range, after all is the second tablet brand by now. Sales in 2015 were down around 10%, which is bad, but is not the same picture if you look just at Apple sales, since those are also down but because of another number of factor aside from the public perception of the device.

LostDonkey

Now I'm really going deep with a conspiracy theory.....

Why panic in quotes? Wasn't that the word used to describe Bends new game?

Could be the game to showcase the new more powerful PS4k/slim at the end of the year/beginning of next!

Can I just say the last ~24 hours at Gaf have been amazing.

Yeah I was wondering why the quote marks as well....

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You know, this 'right back atcha narrative' would work better if Sony was bringing all their first party games and releasing them on the PC the same day as their console, speak more about Windows in the console NPD PR statement, switch to MAU's, and lets us not forget the 2:1 install base.

I believe it was a culmination of things getting people to say that, not just short statement by Phil Spencer about hardware upgrading (which a short similar hypothetical was also answered by a Sony rep last year).

El_Chino

3TF? I don't think it's gonna be that big of a jump.

What would this mean for Xbox?

Top Bottom