• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

cordy

Banned
Gimme dat Tekken 7 with VR support, updated graphics and motion shit. I wanna be the one to throw Heihachi in the volcano and see his body in flames right in front of me.

mjp2417

Banned
So, an upgraded PS4 that would play PS4 games, or wouldn't? Cos it'd be a fucking gip if it wasn't BC with PS4 games.

Yeah, you can at least assume backward compatibility. The interesting question with both this and Microsoft's plans is whether and how well older games will scale with newer hardware iterations. Hopefully it is comparable to PC

RootCause

How much stronger can they make it without making it too much of a gap?
Honestly, I feel like I'll be dissapointed if it isn't noticeable. I do like the smell of a new(ish) console.
112lt6uob3y.jpg
😂😂

gamz

You know, this 'right back atcha narrative' would work better if Sony was bringing all their first party games and releasing them on the PC the same day as their console, and also switch to MAU's and lets us not forget the 2:1 install base.

It was a culmination of things, not just short statement by Phil Spencer.

If they had the same opportunity as MS they would in a heartbeat. You know they would.

Wouldn't it fragment online? Would they have to have separate servers for people on 4 vs 4.5 because of the disparity in frame rate and res etc?

Like someone else said the whole thing about consoles is a level playing field and this kinda goes right up against that full force.

Most competitive online play is already 60 fps. I imagine that will become an even bigger priority with multiple SKU's with different hardware. The newer models will probably just have better resolution, which has far less impact on player performance.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Kotaku is an opinion and clickbait based blog site and is relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching gifs and not on serious news reporting.

Let's take a look at some other 'articles' from Mr. Patrick Klepek. I do not know how someone can take a 'rumor' published by him seriously.

My PC Upgraded To Windows 10 Without Asking, Then Immediately Broke

That Time Xbox 360's Uno Game Was Flooded With Dick Pics

The FBI Made A Video Game And It Sucks

Totally 100% Reasonable Mashup Combines Frozen Songs With Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Fan Edited Trailer For The New Ghostbusters Is So Much Better

A Very Mean Mario Maker Checkpoint

An Eight-Year-Old Just Wrecked Me In Mario Maker

Guy Realizes Catherine Totally Predicted His Relationship Woes

Reminder: Dragon’s Dogma’s Ending Is Completely Ridiculous

Person Trying to Make A Living On The Internet Writes Things, Some Better Than Others

As long as these "upgraded games" with better visual fidelity and whatever work on OG PS4, I don't care. If it splits the userbase though, then ehhhh, SEGA all over again...

If it's just to support certain VR games & 4K I don't think a 2nd system would cause a riff between owners at all.

But if we start getting unplayable games branded with the "Only on new PS4" bullshit like the 3DS does I'll be pissed.

Here's to having faith Sony won't fuck this one up

Considering the Efficiency increases in Carrizo, if applied to a new Console APU, they could get more than 40% decrease in power or a similar increase in performance. In the past Sony chose to reduce the power used which helped decrease costs. This time they might choose to increase performance to support VR better...that being the only difference between older and newer PS4 or about 3 TF instead of 1.8 TF at the same power.

4K gaming, as many have stated is just not possible @ 28nm and will wait for 14NM FinFET Zen + Polaris + HBM in 2018+.

Ah the man himself has arrived.

Whats your opinion on this Rigby? How do you think this is all going to shake out?

Pimpbaa

Like I said, we already tried cross-gen and it didn't work out that way at all. Features were missing from games, graphical setting noticeably different and playerbases were split. What's to stop that from happening here?

Last gen hardware was completely different. The PS3 had a split memory pool, custom CPU that hardly anyone took advantage of, and an nvidia GPU. Comparing the PS4 to a PS3 is like comparing an ipad to an apple newton. A PS4 compared to a PS4.5 would be like comparing an ipad 2 to an ipad 4. They play the same games, no features are missing, the only difference is the resolution. The PS4.5 will most likely just have a newer GPU and CPU from AMD with a bit more ram to accommodate the higher resolutions, and will run the same OS. Any ps4 games made before the PS4.5 will work on the PS4.5 (although they probably won't take advantage of the increased performance unless the developer updates it to do so), and any games made after will work on the PS4. This isn't anything new for a closed platform (the ipad example). When I picked up a new ipad last year, almost every game I bought for my ipad 4 and ipad 1 worked absolutely fine. And the few that didn't were due to incompatibilities with the lastest ios version.

Makes sense if they're serious about VR. In it's current form the PS4 is simply too weak for the VR future.

And since in the near term VR is already going to be divided by class, makes sense that they just figure put out a better PS4 and have the rich ones buy it along with PSVR.

virtualS

If they can release a device that plays PS4 games but in 4K resolution with upgraded effects then there will be no fracture in the msrket. Online should work equally across both devices... except those who shell out for the more powerful machine will have much prettier visuals.

Good idea considering consoles are now not sold at a loss. Gotta keep people spending to fill those corporate coffers ala Apple.

Cuburt

This generation is starting to feel like more and more of a joke as time goes on, as if the industry knew that it wasn't ready for another full normal cycle of consoles (since the writing was on the wall that things had to change) but they couldn't push another 2-3 years with the same dated hardware.

The solution was what must have always been intended to be a stop gap in "safe" hardware with a few new features, but targeting most development for a future console generation. It makes way more sense that everyone knew this generation was more bullshit than they lead on. I'm surprised we aren't still getting cross-gen titles for all big releases for the rest of the generation at this rate.

And here I was thinking that the Nintendo Stewie controller was going to be the most ill advised hardware choice of 2016.

Well done Sony, you "win" .

ISee

None of this addresses their leak track record. None.

When it comes to industry leaks and info they are the leader. Full stop

The leaders of clickbait blog posting. Yes they're extremely good at it.

To be fair, Patrick isn't making up these rumours.

He's simply relaying what has been told to him by the developers at GDC .

These developers have apparently been briefed by Sony, with regards to PS4.5.

And that's the problem here. The news is: Somebody I trust told me that Sony is planning something. It involves native 4k output and their Playstation brand. And that's the quintessence. The rest are speculations and a lot of questions asked by the author.

Will Sony allow people to trade in their existing PS4s to buy the new machine? How will developers cope with releasing games on multiple types of hardware? Could some games only support PS4.5, as is the case with the New Nintendo 3DS? When this PS4 goes on sale, will Sony continue to sell old PS4 hardware at a lower price? How can Sony manage all this without fragmenting the market?

Is he asking me? Because I do not know, I was reading his 'article' to get some answers and not to get questioned or to read about his speculations and thoughts.

And the best part is at the end:
Plans are always changing, and some of the details we’ve heard are fuzzy...

But whatever.

farisr

Let's take a look at some other 'articles' from Mr. Patrick Klepek. I do not know how someone can take a 'rumor' published by him seriously.
Patrick Klepek's a solid dude. Just because he needs to put out articles like those to make a living doesn't make this news any less valid. If the articles you were linking to had false info in them or were poorly researched, that'd be a different story. He's talking about a rumor that has been heard by sources he personally knows, and also talks about his other colleagues hearing it. Elaborating and writing opinions based off the current known info is what online writers do.

M.D

Its kind of hard to believe thats possible since devs themselves at GDC are talking about it

It's also kind of hard to believe Sony would talk about something so big with developers and they would just casually talk about it in a line at GDC, and it's harder to believe that more people are not reporting on this if the information is so readily avaiable

Dundar

well, I guess sony must find a way to get back all the money they've lost today because of the Fallout 4 Season pass fiasco this morning.

Why?

As long as all new PS4 hardware is forwards and backwards compatible, games are still optimized for all hardware configurations, and your original PS4 still plays new games for the next 10 years, then how is this not a win for gamers?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sell your current PS4 in a couple years, and spend a couple more hundred bucks to get a better one that plays all your older and newer games in 4K? The thing I dislike about console games is the lack of choice. I would love to play jacked up Naughty Dog games in 4K.

I like new stuff, and I'll want to buy it ):

and itll be a lot of money cdn.

Admodieus

Kotaku is an opinion and clickbait based blog site and is relying on sensationalist headlines or eye-catching gifs and not on serious news reporting.

My PC Upgraded To Windows 10 Without Asking, Then Immediately Broke

That Time Xbox 360's Uno Game Was Flooded With Dick Pics

The FBI Made A Video Game And It Sucks

Totally 100% Reasonable Mashup Combines Frozen Songs With Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Fan Edited Trailer For The New Ghostbusters Is So Much Better

A Very Mean Mario Maker Checkpoint

An Eight-Year-Old Just Wrecked Me In Mario Maker

Guy Realizes Catherine Totally Predicted His Relationship Woes

Reminder: Dragon’s Dogma’s Ending Is Completely Ridiculous

Of course they have to fill the site on slow news days, but Kotaku has also been home to some great pieces recently. Jason Schreier's piece on Destiny's troubled development is a story that everybody wanted to read after playing that game for the first time after experiencing all of the marketing hype. Klepek is also one of the better investigative journalists in the industry today, breaking the Infinity Ward creator drama and the XBox One-Eighty.

Sölf

Huh. Seems if I decide to buy a PS 4 it will be this if true. Glad I waited (I think 3 weeks after I bought the PS 3 the slim version was announced... >_>)

Alienous

If this is intended to support 4K and PSVR titles, then I guess developers are going to have to focus on developing for the PS4.0 as the main platform? Otherwise it would probably lead to a lot of 'New 3DS' style exclusive games for the 4.5.

Seems like a weird idea. If you're boosting the PS4 capability to support 4K resolution games, fuck it, release it as the PS5 and let it play future and patched PS4 games at 4K. I can understand that Sony wants to sell 4K televisions, but 1080p televisions were being used for 720p PS3 games last gen - 4K'll catch on at its own speed.

Papacheeks

Banned
Being forced (games only for ps4.5 which will not be happening because of the install base) and there being incentives (better performance) are two completely different things.

Look at how New 3DS worked out? People were not happy and actually didn't give to shits about it. They had one or 2 games that would only work on New 3DS.

That's the issue. And seeing that Patrick was able to get a few "Sighs" with developers scratching their heads, seems to show that not even they are looking forward to having to target different specs.

As SneakersOS was saying in the XBox thread about this similar issue. I don't see how this doesn't add more work for them. Regardless if performance might be better with a more efficient CPU/GPU, THEY STILL have to make the game run and look good on the base PS4. There are too many people now that own one. It makes sense to do this when sales stagnate and all developers are showing they can't run their updated engines and current configs on the current console.

It does not make sense to put one out now. Unless PSVR needs this upgraded/refresh to actually run the games properly, that's a whole another conversation alone, that will piss and confuse tons of people off.

I'm in the boat that the ends don't justify the means in this scenario.

3TF? I don't think it's gonna be that big of a jump.

What would this mean for Xbox?

I expect MS has their 'answer' ready as well. Phil Spencer did talk about possible upgradeable Xbox One plans. It all sounded like it was still very early days with those plans, but if Sony is actually coming with it this year, I reckon they have to keep up as well.

Top Bottom