• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

I really wonder when they plan on revealing this. I totally get why they wouldn't do it before RoI came out but now that that has released I wonder what time they are thinking.

I'm guessing maybe February / March of 2017?

Hopefully it's a complete overhaul. Combat and AI for the basic game play loop could use a lot of work. Actual encounter design needs to exist this time as well.

Good news so far. I played Destiny but burnt out about 5 months ago.

If they would solve the RNG aspect a bit (I got so sick of spending hours not getting a "required" weapon for a raid while others got it instantly) I would be far more interested.

They need to find a way to balance the loot game while also making accessible without it gating people out who don't get lucky.

Tagyhag

Hell, even if PS4 still got stuff like exclusive strikes, I'd still switch to PC.

That's how important 60fps is to me.

Especially since I did not enjoy the last exclusive content lol.

Shinobi's edit makes it seem like they're trying to make Destiny 2 what the first one was initially supposed to be.

Hopefully.

It's

If it's like WoW in terms of content, with the gunplay of Destiny, and the loot of Diablo

Then they'll have a very good system.

Ivan

In his defence... Bungie has a signature tuning dedicated to console analog controls, aim assist and the locked framerate. It just feels very good to aim and shoot. This is coming from me who is terrible at aiming on consoles.

I'm not saying the tradeoff isn't worth it, just that Bungie's signature feel will likely be lost on PC KB+M and high FPS.

I have to agree with this.

Destiny is a console game by design, it's Bungie after all.

I really don't think it would feel good to play it on m/k, and I'm not sure about frame rate.

They have a winning formula, anything different would feel... Well, different.

It think it would feel quite "ordinary" on mouse.

But it's nice that pc gamers can play it, of course...

johntown

Banned
I have to agree with this.

Destiny is a console game by design, it's Bungie after all.

I really don't think it would feel good to play it on m/k, and I'm not sure about frame rate.

They have a winning formula, anything different would feel... Well, different.

It think it would feel quite "ordinary" on mouse.
I play most of my PC games with a controller. I just want the smoother framerate. I would sacrifice graphical quality for 60fps.

Edit: if it 30fps locked on PC then I will get the console version because for me there will really be no reason to get the PC version.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh for fuck's sake.

CtZ8tzMWgAAnPXz.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/780949003466895360

Congrats to Twitter on being garbage at everything, lmao

The fuck? The combat/gameplay loop is the best in console FPS currently. It's the only thing that made Destiny a success.

I disagree. AI and encounter design are massive steps back from their work on Halo. Player movement needs to be redone ideally to gel with the gunplay and other combat. It has nice headshot animations and generous auto aim I'll admit.

TheRatedD

I love Destiny, and built up my character a ton, so I'm hoping the characters carry over. Everything else sounds cool though.

Trojan

That Shinobi post is nothing but good news. Better for them to leave the sinking deb platform for the first game entirely. And all those story points he brings up we're the major shortcomings of the first game.

Hope that all pans out.

AU Tiger

That's also putting me off - and I have a beast pc

Not me. Quite the opposite. This news is making me want to buy a Xim4 and use a KB+M to marathon my way through destiny and all the expansions. I've got them all minus the new one and pretty much have only made it to the moon. Just couldn't deal with the game pad.

kevin1025

Banned
I was more interested in doing the missions and occasional hops into the Crucible stuff. I never did any raids because of the time commitment and not being part of a team, but I always liked the sound of them for those that wanted them. I like the sound of the sequel's direction, with the narrative restructuring and the playspaces and all that!

eifer

I will be very sad if true

Why is it sad if you can't bring forward your old characters? If they allowed you to, then the game would be tied to its original design (same classes etc). I'd much rather see them not be so constrained.

Bold One

Why is it sad if you can't bring forward your old characters? If they allowed you to, then the game would be tied to its original design (same classes etc). I'd much rather see them not be so constrained.

People just want their avatars, not necessarily the specs and abilities/

the comparison to d1 to d2 makes sense, then. Though If Destiny 1 ends with Rise of Iron(is it?) then that's a shitty way to go out and they definitely didn't "earn" their sequel.

lol. Rise of Iron is fantastic, and at a number of times felt like the end of this "first chapter". I feel that it concluded everything so far quite well.

As for character transfers, Best case Scenario is that your Guardian's look, Shaders, Emblems, Ghost Skins, and probably your ship/vehicle carry over, whereas everything else gets stripped from you via the old Bag of Spilling trope on the way to saturn. Maybe you crash your ship or whatever? Easy way to explain it, imo.

Stiler

I really hope the game is structured more like an open-world rpg and less like a hub-based diablo style game.

I want to be able to find quests/npc's out in the worlds and be able to simply "explore" and find things rather then space station terminal>go to world>go back to station, rinse repeat.

I also hopeo that npc's, hell that the ENTIRE storyline is completely revamped. Let us you know TALK to npc's, have actual choices to make with what our characters say, have a storyline that's actually part of the game and not something you have to bloody go digging around the internet to figure out what in the heck is happening.

Destiny had great "gameplay" but it was terrible when it came to it's rpg elements/narrative.

They should look at games like Mass Effect/Witcher 3.

Fitts

Nice. Given its console pedigree I hope it doesn't shy away from including aim assist for pad players. No reason not to include it in PvE content at the very least.

Dmax3901

Having only gotten into Destiny in like the last month, I can say I'm happy with the $30 I've spent on the game so far, and am looking forward to playing the sequel on PC.

The Jer

I'm glad that PC gamers may be able to play on their platform of choice. I'll still play on PS4. This game just "feels" so good on console and with a controller.

I'm glad that PC gamers may be able to play on their platform of choice. I'll still play on PS4. This game just "feels" so good on console and with a controller.

you're saying it like Bungie wouldn't add controller support considering most modern games, particularly shooters, already do?

In fact I'd welcome being able to play this with my 360 gamepad.

That feeling when people still don't realize it's relatively easy to use your PC like a console with a controller. At the very least pretty much everything has controller support.

What's the word on crossplay? I'd love to see it for Xbox/PC at least.

That feeling when people still don't realize it's relatively easy to use your computer like a PC with a controller.

What's the word on crossplay? I'd love to see it for Xbox/PC at least.

Considering Sony paid a lot of money for DLC first for D1, I'd assume the same will be for D2. I doubt Sony would like it if Xbox had exclusive features.

I take it there won't be cross-play between platforms, right?

As a PC gamer who use a gamepad most of the time, I'll be fucked, right?

DieH@rd

Banned
To this day Destiny has such a awesome gameplay. Shooting stuff and moving through the world is so much smooth and damn fun. Shame the storytelling missed the mark.

Even though I am a big fan of Destiny, I'm all for the changes.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the news tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is it a PC exclusive? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Destiny 2 on consoles. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Luke Smith had it under control???? This is so fucked.

Top Bottom