• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Halo 4 Gameplay

Looks like pedobear.

FHF0j.jpg

So pedobears are the ancient evil of the galaxy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of this shit sounds bad, but I still can't get over how bad the idea of persistent progression tying into unlocks is. That bit is concrete, and yet the most disappointing about what they've done to Halo MP.

There is a good chance this game never has a good MP presence. Reach didn't knock off COD and it biggest problem was it changed shit. This thing might be enough to make the Halo faithful say fuck it.

The thing 343 needs to understand is If I want to play COD we already have that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There is a good chance this game never has a good MP presence. Reach didn't knock off COD and it biggest problem was it changed shit. This thing might be enough to make the Halo faithful say fuck it.

The thing 343 needs to understand is If I want to play COD we already have that.

I'm sure they know that, can we please stop freaking out at least until we know the full details? Also, I hate the CoD argument because half that shit isn't exclusive to CoD.

Pretty much, parts of the community freak out over every little thing.

If they change to much they freak, if they change to little they freak about it being just like the previous Halo...it is an endless cycle.
This is constantly said about everything, and it's always because "they" are not the same people.

You have to admit that with Halo it does seemed magnified.
Being someone who checks out the HaloGAF thread fairly often, I would not say that's true. There was a lot of excitement near the beginning of reveals, the two second BR shooting gif in particular got a lot of hype and reposting. The more negative rumblings didn't start springing up until the perks/AAs/weapon drops were mentioned.

TrounceX

Nah there will always be a solid Halo presence. There's still a lot of people playing Reach now, and if that game doesn't scare off the Halo faithful, nothing will.

Also I agree with you about not wanting another CoD, but it's obvious to me that 343 is trying to hit both markets. I'd say the least we can expect is a Classic mode right out of the box. Hopefully with a some type of skill-based ranking system.

You have to admit that with Halo it does seemed magnified.

Absolutely.

HaloGAF is impossible to please.

Yo Gotti

Banned

If the game comes out, and is awesome, it'll be like all this complaining and bickering never existed.

It's pretty much guaranteed to be like that anyway, for the first few months at least.

This.

I think no matter what Halo does it will always be 'wrong'.

I mean hell, haven't we had bitch fits over Halo PC before? There's no way to make everyone happy and there's sure as hell not a way to keep each and every vocal minority quiet without losing some attention of the general consumer (in other words, profit). If it makes any difference, the sheer diversity in the weapons/loadouts reminded me more of TF2 or Gotham City Impostors than CoD, honestly. It's not like we're getting another brown-fest like Reach tried to be.

JdFoX187

Banned

Reach didn't knock off Call of Duty because Call of Duty is a goddamn juggernaut. It's not because the game isn't good or the "Halo faithful" as you call them didn't like it. It's because Black Ops alone has sold more copies than the entire main Halo series (sans ODST, CEA and Halo Wars). That's like saying every movie that comes out at the box office fails because it doesn't topple Avatar or Titanic. Being the top of the leaderboard means only one thing -- bragging rights to dipshits online on both sides of the debate.

Halo 4 will have a tremendous presence online because it's Halo, it's the first numerical sequel in five years and it appears to be a fresh take on a franchise that was growing stale. It takes the best parts of the early Halos with the quick movement speed and quicker kill times and combines them with some more modern aspects. A bare bones Halo game like Halo 2 would not sell in this day and age.

Reach didn't knock off Call of Duty because Call of Duty is a goddamn juggernaut. It's not because the game isn't good or the "Halo faithful" as you call them didn't like it. It's because Black Ops alone has sold more copies than the entire main Halo series (sans ODST, CEA and Halo Wars). That's like saying every movie that comes out at the box office fails because it doesn't topple Avatar or Titanic. Being the top of the leaderboard means only one thing -- bragging rights to dipshits online on both sides of the debate.

Halo 4 will have a tremendous presence online because it's Halo, it's the first numerical sequel in five years and it appears to be a fresh take on a franchise that was growing stale. It takes the best parts of the early Halos with the quick movement speed and quicker kill times and combines them with some more modern aspects. A bare bones Halo game like Halo 2 would not sell in this day and age.

I approve this message.

volturnus

Banned
Nah there will always be a solid Halo presence. There's still a lot of people playing Reach now, and if that game doesn't scare off the Halo faithful, nothing will.

Also I agree with you about not wanting another CoD, but it's obvious to me that 343 is trying to hit both markets. I'd say the least we can expect is a Classic mode right out of the box. Hopefully with a some type of skill-based ranking system.

Absolutely.

HaloGAF is impossible to please.
I wouldn't say they're impossible to please.
They're mostly like linguists. Some are purists and want to preserve the language's characteristics because that's what makes it great and unique in the first place, while unorthodox linguists want the language to be more accessible and promote the absorption of words from other languages.
Both sides disagree about everything other than the fact that they love their language, yet life goes on while most try to keep it balanced.

Unorthodox Halo fans welcome COD features adapted into Halo, but purists want the original formula to be improved without using outside inspiration or making changes that makes it no longer feel like Halo.
It's impossible to please both, but it seems 343 is going too much along the unorthodox path.

Except it wouldn't be bare bones. It would have Forge, Theater, custom games, online split screen, and more. They could even bring back firefight. They could incorporate new stuff like gun camos, choosing between 4 starting weapons, having sprint for everyone, and bring back armor customization.

I love the classic gameplay of the trilogy as much as anyone. I've put thousands of hours in them combined, but I'm also excited about the possibility of new gameplay additions in the Halo universe. I realize change is probably best for the future of the series despite the fact I'd probably prefer if I had to choose one or the other, the old school gameplay.

I wouldn't say they're impossible to please.
They're mostly like linguists. Some are purists and want to preserve the language's characteristics because that's what makes it great and unique in the first place, while unorthodox linguists want the language to be more accessible and promote the absorption of words from other languages.
Both sides disagree about everything other than the fact that they love their language, yet life goes on while most try to keep it balanced.

Unorthodox Halo fans welcome COD features adapted into Halo, but purists want the original formula to be improved without using outside inspiration or making changes that makes it no longer feel like Halo.
It's impossible to please both, but it seems 343 is going too much along the unorthodox path.

Exactly. Halo kick started the FPS on the console. They were the innovators. I dont mind some change but most of what has been shown is a straight rip off the competition. Fucking riot shields?

JdFoX187

Banned
Except it wouldn't be bare bones. It would have Forge, Theater, custom games, online split screen, and more. They could even bring back firefight. They could incorporate new stuff like gun camos, choosing between 4 starting weapons, having sprint for everyone, and bring back armor customization.

Do you think casual gamers really give a shit about theater mode? Theater and Forge are nothing more than bullet point features for fanboys to tout. Forge is too damn cumbersome to really do anything and games like FarCry 2 have already done the map editor in a much better fashion. Forge is a fucking travesty and needs to be revamped completely.

My point is though that the majority of gamers now want something more than just pure gun-on-gun action in their multiplayer. They want progression and unlockables. As long as it doesn't break the game, I'm okay with that. People talk shit about how Call of Duty has ruined gaming and how this is Call of Duty with a Halo skin. They either conveniently forget or never realized everything we're seeing in Halo 4 right now sans armor abilities was in Battlefield 2, one of the most hyped and prestigious PC shooters released. But of course, 343i is just copying Call of Duty and it's going to completely ruin the series. We know this from a bunch of blurry leaked photos and a video recorded on a fucking VHS played in a barn.

JaggedSac

Nope. H4 MP will do just fine. The carrots on a stick are already 10 times better than what Reach offered. This alone will keep people around for longer.

Exactly. Halo kick started the FPS on the console. They were the innovators. I dont mind some change but most of what has been shown is a straight rip off the competition. Fucking riot shields?

To be fair, people have requested Jackal shields before CoD had riot shields. I imagine this is an evolution of this concept.

Do you think casual gamers really give a shit about theater mode? Theater and Forge are nothing more than bullet point features for fanboys to tout. Forge is too damn cumbersome to really do anything and games like FarCry 2 have already done the map editor in a much better fashion. Forge is a fucking travesty and needs to be revamped completely.

My point is though that the majority of gamers now want something more than just pure gun-on-gun action in their multiplayer. They want progression and unlockables. As long as it doesn't break the game, I'm okay with that. People talk shit about how Call of Duty has ruined gaming and how this is Call of Duty with a Halo skin. They either conveniently forget or never realized everything we're seeing in Halo 4 right now sans armor abilities was in Battlefield 2, one of the most hyped and prestigious PC shooters released. But of course, 343i is just copying Call of Duty and it's going to completely ruin the series. We know this from a bunch of blurry leaked photos and a video recorded on a fucking VHS played in a barn.

I do think casual gamers give a shit about theater, yes. Bungie made it fairly easy to take photos and videos, and share them, combined with service records and eventual facebook/twitter direct posting, I think Theater could become even more popular. Forge in 3 was a map "editor", Forge in Reach was a map editor and "maker", I think that's a big step forward for only one game, and I think if 343 wanted to, they could enhance it even further. Just because it's not Far Cry 2 level doesn't mean it's bad.

Yes, this is completely true, BUT, like I said in my last post, there are other ways of progression and unlockables that don't directly affect gameplay. You could unlock what weapon you start with, (between AR, DMR and BR), you could unlock longer sprint speed (I guess this affects gameplay, but w/e), you could unlock colors for your armor, patterns, emblems, emblem colors, armor pieces, voices, gun camos, different titles, different armor effects etc. etc. You could also have medals and challenges to work towards to (like Reach's commendations)

And I never mentioned anything about Cod, Battlefield, or the leaks in my previous post, so I'm going to ignore that last segment for now.

Edit; Also, purely personal anecdotal evidence, but I feel it's worth noting. When I talked to three of my good friends (who could be classified as "casual gamers") about Halo 3 vs. Reach, and which one they liked more, every one said they preferred 3's matchmaking, but Reach's options and custom games and the like. When I asked them why they preferred 3's pace and maps, but Reach's overall variety and stunning amount of options. (For a console game ;P) I definitely feel they could have classic Halo gameplay refined a bit with a ton more options and unlockables, and call it a day,

JdFoX187

Banned
I do think casual gamers give a shit about theater, yes. Bungie made it fairly easy to take photos and videos, and share them, combined with service records and eventual facebook/twitter direct posting, I think Theater could become even more popular. Forge in 3 was a map "editor", Forge in Reach was a map editor and "maker", I think that's a big step forward for only one game, and I think if 343 wanted to, they could enhance it even further. Just because it's not Far Cry 2 level doesn't mean it's bad.

Yes, this is completely true, BUT, like I said in my last post, there are other ways of progression and unlockables that don't directly affect gameplay. You could unlock what weapon you start with, (between AR, DMR and BR), you could unlock longer sprint speed (I guess this affects gameplay, but w/e), you could unlock colors for your armor, patterns, emblems, emblem colors, armor pieces, voices, gun camos, different titles, different armor effects, etc. etc.

And I never mentioned anything about Cod, Battlefield, or the leaks in my previous post, so I'm going to ignore that last segment for now.

Edit; Also, purely personal anecdotal evidence, but I feel it's worth noting. When I talked to three of my good friends (who could be classified as "casual gamers") about Halo 3 vs. Reach, and which one they liked more, every one said they preferred 3's matchmaking, but Reach's options and custom games and the like. When I asked them why they preferred 3's pace and maps, but Reach's overall variety and stunning amount of options. (For a console game ;P)

Most people do not care about theater mode. I hardly see any pictures or videos shared or anything like that in file shares these days, even before Bungie completely abandoned Halo. It was a cool novelty when it first came out, but now it's just another useless feature that people tout. People buy Halo to play Halo, not to take scenic pictures and record videos on it. The small segment of the population that does is satisfied with the system, but it's not something that's going to "sell" someone on a game.

As for Forge, it's still a piece of shit. It has limited options, limited resources, unnecessarily convoluted controls and it's a true pain in the ass to get anything out of it that's not broken or messed up in some way. Even Bungie themselves couldn't make decent maps out of it. There's broken jumps and fucked up geometry in the on-disc Forge maps like Asylum and Pinnacle. It's a terrible, terrible system that should be scrapped. Either do something like FarCry 2 or get rid of the damn thing period.

Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions that any gameplay addition to the game hidden behind unlockables is bad. How about we see some actual footage that doesn't involve a blurry video in a barn? Call of Duty 4 did unlockables right and it's still the most fun MP shooter of this generation. But nope, there's no way 343i can possibly make this work. They're operating in a vacuum where they can't look at other games to see what works and what doesn't. They're just a bunch of code monkeys pecking away for evil Microsoft to steal that Call of Duty money. That's honestly what a lot of these complaints sound like. Not directing it at you, but at the complaints in general.

As for your anecdotal evidence, it's just that -- anecdotal. I have friends, including some that post on this board, that love Halo 2 and think it's the best ever. I have some that love Halo 3 and others that love Reach. But all of these customization options and tweaks and cool things you can do with the gameplay doesn't mean shit if you can't play it with anyone other than two or three guys that you can coordinate a custom game with. Until 343i or whoever comes up with a custom game filter or server browser or somehow manages to actually manage playlists properly, most of those customization options will be wasted. It's sad that Halo 2 with its limited customization had more variety in matchmaking than either Halo 3 or Reach.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Most people do not care about theater mode. I hardly see any pictures or videos shared or anything like that in file shares these days, even before Bungie completely abandoned Halo. It was a cool novelty when it first came out, but now it's just another useless feature that people tout. People buy Halo to play Halo, not to take scenic pictures and record videos on it. The small segment of the population that does is satisfied with the system, but it's not something that's going to "sell" someone on a game.

Yup. Only 150 million pieces of user generated content were shared on Bungie.net. Super niche hardcore extreme only novelty feature.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Incorrect. There is a ton of active sharing still, and it is great for the community.

All games should have theater mode, and most are starting to adopt it.

JdFoX187

Banned
Yup. Only 150 million pieces of user generated content were shared on Bungie.net. Super niche hardcore extreme only novelty feature.

I am actually surprised at those numbers. I still stand by my word that very few, if any, are going to buy a shooter based on whether it has theater mode.

Incorrect. There is a ton of active sharing still, and it is great for the community.

All games should have theater mode, and most are starting to adopt it.

Developers can barely get games out on time and budget with decent framerates. I'd rather developers worry more about polishing the game than adding superfluous features.

I will agree that forge is broken but I don't want it scrapped. I never understood why some kind of magnet, snap to feature was never included. Like make walls snap together at exactly the right place, then you could adjust it. I know you can adjust it manually but its still never perfect.

Raide

I will agree that forge is broken but I don't want it scrapped. I never understood why some kind of magnet, snap to feature was never included. Like make walls snap together at exactly the right place, then you could adjust it. I know you can adjust it manually but its still never perfect.

UNDO Option!

Forge is pretty awesome when you dedicate enough time to learn it but it is still missing some fundamental stuff that would make using it so much easier and produce better results.

There are techniques to make it perfect that take no time at all, like pixel editing. I'm a perfectionist and have never had a problem with forge sans the stupid rotation glitch. Other than that forge is perfectly fine.

JdFoX187

Banned
There are techniques to make it perfect that take no time at all, like pixel editing. I'm a perfectionist and have never had a problem with forge sans the stupid rotation glitch. Other than that forge is perfectly fine.

You shouldn't need those additional techniques to make quality maps though. There's no undo option and no magnetic option to line up stuff properly just for starters. There's also no way to adjust the terrain, which is a huge oversight in my opinion. You're also limited to whatever space Bungie/343i gives you to work on. Why not just have an editor with a large flat area where you can edit terrain, thrown in whatever you want and actually make a map? Carry over the Forge controls if you want with some tweaking and adding in aforementioned adjustments. But it's ridiculous as much as Forge World was touted as something great, there's not a single flag level spot other than the cramped coliseum where you can build.

Sai-kun

Banned

This is more of a rip off of Counter-Strike. Is it really a rip off if it's out like 13 years later though?

Keep it Halo, but learn from the competition. It's called a market for a reason. Open to all buyers, competition makes the bottom line rise. I'm all for changes. If they don't impress me with this and bring their A game with all of their changes, then I'm not buying Halo 5 day 1. Simple as that.

Best Buy was the king, now Newegg is. If Bestbuy could match what Newegg does AND have brick and mortar stores, then they'd win market share. For now though, they are still struggling.

Awful video. This doesnt hype me one bit for it. I prefer getting 5 second clips from Conan. At least that was quality stuff. This is just a shit video, with shit music that makes the game look like shit.

Hey thats how it is on the internetz, I rarely used the feature therefore its a novelty that was never used. The world revolves around me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Awful video. This doesnt hype me one bit for it. I prefer getting 5 second clips from Conan. At least that was quality stuff. This is just a shit video, with shit music that makes the game look like shit.

If only there was a big media event with tons of direct footage and officially released information so you could be hyped up properly.

Might be a good idea to start one. Maybe use LA as a venue and get other video game publishers and developers to come along and show stuff too.

This time of the year would be great for such a thing.

Top Bottom