• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Halo 4 Gameplay

Oozer3993

It makes no sense to me why they would have a fully functioning beta with all of these new features, and only lets ms workers play it. Its very frustrating.

And on top of that we have hackers playing it, who will do nothing but leak this info out and in the end give no feedback to 343.

There was an internal Microsoft beta for Halo 2 where disks containing the multiplayer and several maps were given out to around 10,000 employees. The Halo 3 "Epsilon," containing several multiplayer maps and one campaign mission, was released to thousands of employees. It allows the developer to test the network code with a large amount of people across the entire world without having to worry about specifically creating a build for the public, which can take weeks to do followed by months for that build to pass through Microsoft certification. And after all that, a large amount of the complaints from the public will be about things that have been fixed in builds since the one that was forked off for the beta.

volturnus

Banned
Hardlight shield is probably the shield from the other screens.

Equipping stuff costs spartan points? Kinda reminds me of that really shitty Metal Gear online game.
GI screens?
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
It's not exactly something new:
images

-KRS-

Huh. I had stayed out of this thread because I'm not into Halo, but since it got so many replies I thought I'd see what's up. And uh... well I don't regret it. xD

It's not exactly something new:
images

Yep? It sucked then and it's gonna suck now. Leave fucking healing mechanics out of high-health games where your health regens frequently. A mechanic like this should only exist like it does in Shadowrun - where it heals very slowly and you don't regen health unless you're a specific race (which has the lowest health already).

Also Shielding and Hardlight Shield sound very worrying. Defense mechanics usually don't end well.

volturnus

Banned
Yep? It sucked then and it's gonna suck now. Leave fucking healing mechanics out of high-health games where your health regens frequently. A mechanic like this should only exist like it does in Shadowrun - where it heals very slowly and you don't regen health unless you're a specific race (which has the lowest health already).

Also Shielding and Hardlight Shield sound very worrying. Defense mechanics usually don't end well.
I guess this is the Hardlight Shield:
WYbvj.jpg

Halo's Riot Shield, it seems.

jet1911

The Halo purists are will go insane when 343i reveals the MP. I can feel it. I just hope the campaign and Spartan Ops are great.

Zoolader

Yep? It sucked then and it's gonna suck now. Leave fucking healing mechanics out of games where your health regens frequently. A mechanic like this should only exist like it does in Shadowrun - where it heals very slowly and you don't regen health unless you're a specific race (which has the lowest health).

Also Shielding and Hardlight Shield sound very worrying. Slowing combat down ftw?

Well the regen did suck, since it was hardly of any use. It shouldn't make the game unbalanced at all, which means there is nothing to really complain about. Also they make for really cool screenshot effects. It's not completely useless either like many of Halo 3's equipment (radar jammer, flare, grav lift)

The hardlight shield looks like the bubble shield in many ways, which was on of my favorite additions to Halo's multiplayer. Though we don't know the specifics about it yet, we can assume it can be destroyed as seen in Reach. I wish it looked more like the Halo 3 bubble shield though, so much cooler than the one in Reach.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh dear. The riot shield works in CoD because you basically die instantly if anyone gets an angle on you. I can't imagine how that's gonna work in Halo where the most commonly-used weapons take several seconds to kill.

DMR to the knee.

But seriously, I'd bet they're balanced fine. I doubt I'd use one as I'd guess you have to use a pistol with it or something.

volturnus

Banned
''Anonymous source'' details Halo 4

Bumper Jumper is out:
I play bumper jumper and everything was shot to hell. Left trigger was now deploy equipment and grenade was now X. Sprint was A and change grenade was up on the D pad

As for Tactical Packages and abilities:
The choices are a auto turret, a field of view vision enhancement that sees through walls and objects to detect enemies, 2 main weapons(my personal favorite), faster shield recharge, a shield that deflects small damage, being able to use your radar when scoped in and a jetpack.

Shielding is faster shield regeneration and Hardlight Shield is that riot shield above.
Awareness makes the radar visible when scoping, like Gabotron said.

I think Shielding is going to generate bigger backlash than Armour Lock..

Satchel

Banned
Do we KNOW that's a shield, or are we guessIng, then assuming, then confirming, then overreacting?

First thing I thought? It's the capture point marker.

Well the regen did suck, since it was hardly of any use. It shouldn't make the game unbalanced at all, which means there is nothing to really complain about. Also they make for really cool screenshot effects. It's not completely useless either like many of Halo 3's equipment (radar jammer, flare, grav lift)

The hardlight shield looks like the bubble shield in many ways, which was on of my favorite additions to Halo's multiplayer. Though we don't know the specifics about it yet, we can assume it can be destroyed as seen in Reach. I wish it looked more like the Halo 3 bubble shield though, so much cooler than the one in Reach.

What? Drop a regen at the start of a BR duel and you're almost invincible. Or use it to deny enemy players any chance of ranged combat unless they have a sniper.

Hated the bubble shield too. Press X to halt combat? No thanks.

DMR to the knee.

But seriously, I'd bet they're balanced fine. I doubt I'd use one as I'd guess you have to use a pistol with it or something.

Loading screen tip: You can crouch with the Hardlight Shield to protect your legs!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm just going to wait till at the least E3 before I start making judgements, with actual facts instead of blurry pics, videos and fan assumptions. You all should do the same as well.

It makes no sense to me why they would have a fully functioning beta with all of these new features, and only lets ms workers play it. Its very frustrating.

And on top of that we have hackers playing it, who will do nothing but leak this info out and in the end give no feedback to 343.

This isn't new, this has been the case with proof as early as Halo 3. It takes time to fine-tune something to the point of making it acceptable for public use, with it not crashing, or with near-final assets. A waste of time for the dev teams actually.

This is faster and easier to test connections and balance over larger distances - it's just too bad for them that people just can't keep a secret.

GrizzNKev

Banned
''Anonymous source'' details Halo 4

Bumper Jumper is out:

As for Tactical Packages and abilities:

Shielding is faster shield regeneration and Hardlight Shield is that riot shield above.
Awareness makes the radar visible when scoping, like Gabotron said.

I think Shielding is going to generate bigger backlash than Armour Lock..

So the control scheme I have trained myself to use has been dismantled, and there are CoD perks. Sweet.

Conor 419

Banned
Ehh, I thought the Hardlight Shield would be like that piece of equipment in Halo 3 which puts a 2D energy shield in front of you, rather than a fockin' riot shield.

I guess clawing is back.
I wonder how my dear Green Thumb is going to be..

Preferred Green Thumb:
RB - reload/activate/swap weapons/etc
B - zoom
Melee - right thumbstick
LB - sprint
X - AA
A - Jump
LS - crouch
up on dpad - switch grenades
RT - fire gun
Y - switch weapons
LT - throw grenades

Zoolader

You're a terrible human being.

BTB/multi team/custom game mayhem brah. MLG and Slayer gametypes could keep that stuff out. Not every weapon or ability should cross every gametype, it's all about options. It's part of what makes Halo so fun to me, something crazy can always happen. If you just like your BR duels then stay in MLG.

Overdoziz

Banned
What is this shield then that I saw in the video? Maybe it shrinks with damage, or is this completely different...

joVrbWpwTeZWM.png
Can't see shit.
BTB/multi team/custom game mayhem brah. MLG and Slayer gametypes could keep that stuff out. Not every weapon or ability should cross every gametype, it's all about options. It's part of what makes Halo so fun to me, something crazy can always happen. If you just like your BR duels then stay in MLG.
It slows down gameplay, nothing more. It's like a giant armor lock bubble. It's terrible in every playlist.

Zoolader

What am I supposed to see here?

Watch the video at about 4:20. A firefight starts and the opponent does some kinda crouch maneuver similar to the one in Reach when the bubble shield is deployed. Then a blue orb starts to expand. The players screen who we are viewing abandons the fight and runs elsewhere.

volturnus

Banned
Preferred Green Thumb:
RB - reload/activate/swap weapons/etc
B - zoom
Melee - right thumbstick
LB - sprint
X - AA
A - Jump
LS - crouch
up on dpad - switch grenades
RT - fire gun
Y - switch weapons
LT - throw grenades
That would be fine, but it seems default grenade is on X now.
What am I supposed to see here?
This.

Watch the video at about 4:20. A firefight starts and the opponent does some kinda crouch maneuver similar to the one in Reach when the bubble shield is deployed. Then a blue orb starts to expand. The players screen who we are viewing abandons the fight and runs elsewhere.
Could be a Support Upgrade for all we now, there's no screen listing them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No bumper jumper? Please don't be true. :-(

It could stay exactly as it is in Reach, with a few tweaks:

Shoot - Right Trigger
Grenade - Left Trigger
Jump - Left Bumper
Melee - Right Bumper
Zoom - Right Stick
Crouch - Left Stick
Sprint - X
Armor Ability - A
Reload - B
Switch Weapons - Y
Switch Grenades - Up on D-Pad

Also: Is Nutter really a beta tester?

Zoolader

Can't see shit.

It slows down gameplay, nothing more. It's like a giant armor lock bubble. It's terrible in every playlist.

I felt like in Halo 3 it was a magnet for combat. Players wouldn't be deterred by it, because you didn't have to stand around and wait like with armor lock. You could still chase the player, throw a grenade inside and he would be forced to flee. It's like a multikill grand station, I'll never forget sticking a player in a bubble shield on standoff and getting an overkill. Also vehicles could just plow right through a bubble shield and not bounce off, guys in there are sitting ducks. So unless you are trying to ping a guy from across the map with a BR or DMR, I don't see it as slowing the game down, I could even argue it speeds up kill times.

feel

You know what? Screw sprint!

LB - switch grenades
up on dpad - sprint

Hells yeah.
Gimme my faster base speed with no sprint perk Frankie! (make it slower than sprint of course)

edit-
wait, they fucked with Bumper Jumper too? Is nothing sacred?? :(

Zoolader

It's really hard to capture with Prt Scrn, since it all happens within a second or two. I said it starts around 4:20 in the video so try and see it for yourselves... here is another attempt, this is right before the last screen. Somebody said something about bigfoot?
ibbfGfRJi7sIY0.png

DualX

I'll never understand how people can be so upset over changes only through speculation. This only reminds me of another time back before Chaos Theory was released, right around the time that they were showing off multiplayer features like the active camo equipment for Spies. They were irate over those additions, and yet it still turned out to be the best in the series to date.

I'm all for changes as long as they are implemented well. Just like anything else, unless they try to take a few risks and potentially make the game better then we are only left with a stagnant product which will also be hated on for being too much of the same. So I say just see what they have to offer next week.

siddhu33

I think there can be room for both classic halo and this new stuff (read:crap). However, we could have the crazy perk + AA combat in social playlists (Multi Team, Social Slayer) while a separate ranked playlist actually cares to address weapon and AA balance. and I DON'T mean MLG.

Top Bottom