• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Kay: Anniversary announced for WiiU/PS4/PS3/360/PC by Nordic/Kaiko

Is this a very difficult game? I started it on normal, did the intro and a bit more, then switched to hard via a new game.

It doesn't seem like the type of game to be overly difficult, and I'm used to playing on hard. I question my decision, though.

Videospel

It's not hard, but getting all the crystals is a bit tricky. You never know if the next jump or entrance is leading to a point of no return, so if you missed any crystals you're toast.

Didn't know of this remake, hope it does well. I really liked the original apart from those annoying "hidden" level exits.

SomTervo

I'd never even heard of this game and I can't say I'm sold on screens etc.

It feels weird to hear of an early-mid-'00s, PS2 action/platforming game I never heard of, and one that looks like it might possibly be really good. Probably a pretentious thing to say – 'wow, I can't believe there's a game I've never heard of' – but is this a cult classic or something I'm missing? I thought I knew the PS2's catalogue inside and out!

Parsnip

Oh! Didn't see that "R$"! Thanks:)

Edit: didn't see "Steam" either. :| I was hoping to get the PS4 version. Good deal anyways!
Ah, sorry, yeah. Steam indeed.

I'd never even heard of this game and I can't say I'm sold on screens etc.

It feels weird to hear of an early-mid-'00s, PS2 action/platforming game I never heard of, and one that looks like it might possibly be really good. Probably a pretentious thing to say – 'wow, I can't believe there's a game I've never heard of' – but is this a cult classic or something I'm missing? I thought I knew the PS2's catalogue inside and out!

I don't know if I would call it a cult classic or anything.
I probably wouldn't have heard about it back in the day either if virt/Jake Kaufman hadn't been doing the music.

tNEfO73h.jpg

Here's the back of the box of the PS4 version. Haven't seen this posted anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm actually going have time to try this out tonight. The 3gb requirement seems low, but I didn't buy it for its graphics...

Parsnip

Played a bunch of the PC version. It's as I remember it, the camera is still awful, English voice acting is ridiculously bad, but it looks fine for a PS2 remaster and Jake's music is still great.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah the game doesn't tell you when you can't backtrack, so better complete stuff before leaving.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So did anyone pick up the PS4 version to see how it runs? I heard the Wii U version had a terrible framerate as evidenced a few posts above and a review of the PS4 version I read today said the PS4 version was mostly stable (mostly though? smh).

It was delayed in Canada so I won't get mine until tomorrow at the earliest.

Sidenote: Metacritic is at 66 right now, yikes. Oh well I liked it on PS2.

koopas

Yepper, saw it today and it is in a white case! :p

It... looks good in person, it really does, might be the colors and the use of white on it, but it blends well with a white case.
I agree I don't mind the aesthetics with the white on blue. For a second I thought I had a printing error copy.

koopas

So did anyone pick up the PS4 version to see how it runs? I heard the Wii U version had a terrible framerate as evidenced a few posts above and a review of the PS4 version I read today said the PS4 version was mostly stable (mostly though? smh).

It was delayed in Canada so I won't get mine until tomorrow at the earliest.

Sidenote: Metacritic is at 66 right now, yikes. Oh well I liked it on PS2.
An hour into the Wii U version. Had not had any frame dips at all. In fact, I'm surprised the game is as polished as it it. Almost all the dialog is voice acted which is nice as well.

Tizoc

Only issue I have with the game is the camera controls but otherwise I'm liking it.
Are there any missables by any chance?

Gammacide

Really wish it was Herdy Gerdy that they did, but Kay was super fun on PS2, especially since he looked like my cat at the time, so I can't complain too much. I'll have to see if there is a PS+ discount at all.

Parsnip

So is this game worth the $7.30? How is it?
I think so, but I played the original game back in the day so I know what to expect. It's a PS2 era middle tier 3D platformer through and through, with a fresh coat of paint. If that tickles your fancy, go for it.

Intending to get this, possibly soon. Is the camera really annoying? Or is it tolerable eventually?

I mean, you get used to it eventually. It just feels unwieldy and gets easily stuck on walls and stuff when you turn it. It's a shame they didn't remaster that part of the game.

Got it on Wii U yesterday. Just giving it a go. Not had any framerate issues and it looks gorgeous. The characters are really crisp. Camera isn't great but it's far from the worst.

It's a shame more games like this weren't remastered.

Robso

I think so, but I played the original game back in the day so I know what to expect. It's a PS2 era middle tier 3D platformer through and through, with a fresh coat of paint. If that tickles your fancy, go for it.

I mean, you get used to it eventually. It just feels unwieldy and gets easily stuck on walls and stuff when you turn it. It's a shame they didn't remaster that part of the game.

Thanks for responding. Indeed, it is a shame they didn't change that. Still intend to get it. I'll hopefully deal with it.

Top Bottom