• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Kay: Anniversary announced for WiiU/PS4/PS3/360/PC by Nordic/Kaiko

Tusk

There's been a page for the Wii U version sitting on Amazon for a long while. Had no idea it was a thing until I saw though, and wondered why I never saw any sort announcement for it. :b

Green Yoshi

That reminds me that I want Kya - Dark Lineage as PS2 classic for PS3.

Legend of Kay is nice, too. Might have a look at the 360-version.

TeddyBoy

Thought it said Legacy of Kain and got happy =(

I actually thought it said Legend of Kay but then thought no one would remake that random PS2 game, but I thought wrong!

I was actually thinking about this game the other day, I may pick it up after the price goes down. I had fun memories of this on the PS2 but I don't think it'll hold up well after all these years.

rjc571

Banned
I actually thought it said Legend of Kay but then thought no one would remake that random PS2 game, but I thought wrong!

I was actually thinking about this game the other day, I may pick it up after the price goes down. I had fun memories of this on the PS2 but I don't think it'll hold up well after all these years.

It's not like there have been any great advancements made in the realm of 3D platforming over the past 10 years that would make this game feel dated.

JSoup

Banned
Huh, what an odd pick. Legend of Kay is another cookie cutter semi-open world mini-game filled collect-a-thon that the PS2 era was fond of spawning. And it also happens to be a decent one as well.

BDGAME

Another platform with inferior graphics than Conker.

The 3D platforms these days are lacking more polishing than ever.

It's not like there have been any great advancements made in the realm of 3D platforming over the past 10 years that would make this game feel dated.

There were barely any last gen.

Outside of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, the Ratchet games, and Sly 4, what else was there other than the odd licensed game?

Fake edit: I guess Crash of the Titans, Crash: Mind Over Mutant, Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, and The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon count, of course being Crash and Spyro.

Oh and Sonic, but I feel like it's difficult calling the boost trilogy 3D platformers where most of the time any platforming is in the 2D segments and in 3D you're just boosting to win. The Werehog had legit 3D platforming, granted.

Everytime I see a statement like this about a game that wouldn't sell on the Xbox because of its genre, 8 times of 10 the Wii or Wii U version end up selling the worst.

Because us who play on Xbox only like shooters bruh...obviously. No it's very annoying that we get omitted so much from cool looking games because of the perceived notion that we don't like anything but shooters : /

Suzzopher

Having played and enjoyed this ten years ago, I am going to buy this as I could really go for this type of game right now.

TheOGB

Banned
They keep trying to make this game happen

I mean, I'm not opposed to it, I remember being mildly interested in the DS(?) version years ago, it's just interesting that it keeps coming up. Did it turn out to be a cult hit or something?

Lijik

There were barely any last gen.

Outside of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, the Ratchet games, and Sly 4, what else was there other than the odd licensed game?

Fake edit: I guess Crash of the Titans, Crash: Mind Over Mutant, Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night, and The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon count, of course being Crash and Spyro.

Oh and Sonic, but I feel like it's difficult calling the boost trilogy 3D platformers where most of the time any platforming is in the 2D segments and in 3D you're just boosting to win. The Werehog had legit 3D platforming, granted.

Purely off the top of my head and not using any rereleases, games tied to a tv show or movie, or borderline games that people might argue over (ie crackdown, nights jod, etc):
Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Ratchet Tools of Destruction
Ratchet Quest for Booty
Ratchet Crack in Time
Ratchet Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
Ratchet Into the Nexus
Sly 4
Daxter
Jak The Lost Frontier
Sonic 2006
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Crash of the Titans
Crash Mind over Mutant
Spyro Eternal Night
Spyro Dawn of the Dragon
Prince of Persia 2008
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Underworld
Death Jr
Death Jr 2 Seed of Evil
De Blob
De Blob 2
Epic Mickey
Epic Mickey 2
Rabbids Go Home
Mushroom Men
Jett Rocket
The Kore Gang
Flips Twisted World

Sure this isnt anywhere near the worlds greatest list, but games in the genre were consistently coming out.
The biggest issue is none of the midteir stuff last gen were able to take a hold the way a tak or ty did to replace the series that stopped putting out annual or so games (which by the end of the gen was basically just Ratchet and Sonic)

takoyaki

There’s a short interview with producer Thorsten Röpke from Kaiko in this month’s issue of the German mag Mgames:

-Nordic Games approached Kaiko last June about the project
-a core team of seven Kaiko members (3 of them worked on the PS2 game) and a few additional artists are working on the game
-all textures and character models (Kay, NPCs, enemies) were updated
-they thought about changing more of the game’s structure but decided against it because of the short timeframe and not wanting to mess with what worked before
-He sees the value of HD remasters in reaching new players as well as updating sub-HD games so they look good on modern TVs

Final box shown:

81z-4RpB6lL.jpg
81uhcs66KzL.jpg

So yeah, out with Unit 4, in with Kaiko.

There’s a short interview with producer Thorsten Röpke from Kaiko in this month’s issue of the German mag Mgames:

-Nordic Games approached Kaiko last June about the project
-a core team of seven Kaiko members (3 of them worked on the PS2 game) and a few additional artists are working on the game
-all textures and character models (Kay, NPCs, enemies) were updated
-they thought about changing more of the game’s structure but decided against it because of the short timeframe and not wanting to mess with what worked before
-He sees the value of HD remasters in reaching new players as well as updating sub-HD games so they look good on modern TVs

Awesome! Any other names from the interview aside from Peter? Do we know the identity of the other two folks who worked on the original?

Edit: The Producer you named, Thorsten, did work at Keen (Neon's successor) and Neon before that, but I don't see Kay mentioned at the moment.

Someone mentioned in a thread recently that Microsoft required a minimum number of copies to be printed which is why a lot of smaller Japanese developers skipped 360 last gen. Maybe they are still doing that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa, I remember playing this back then. I remember Capcom bringing this to US.

Sweet, it's a pretty fun game. Too bad you can't back-track.

Huh, what an odd pick. Legend of Kay is another cookie cutter semi-open world mini-game filled collect-a-thon that the PS2 era was fond of spawning. And it also happens to be a decent one as well.
Another platform with inferior graphics than Conker.

The 3D platforms these days are lacking more polishing than ever.

wut

it's actually more of a beatem up than a platformer, like a friendly version of DMC

Someone mentioned in a thread recently that Microsoft required a minimum number of copies to be printed which is why a lot of smaller Japanese developers skipped 360 last gen. Maybe they are still doing that.
Wouldn't surprise me, Tropico 5 is another that's skipping the Bone so it's not just Japanese devs this time around. Bound in Flame and some others from European studios didn't come to it. Not even digitally.

Nimby

Banned
This looks like it would be fun, I would have passed it off as childish and weird a few years ago, but I'm glad that's behind me. Platforming looks very solid, and the soundtrack is nice and oriental. The voice acting is very below grade though.

Glad it's coming to Wii U.

takoyaki

Awesome! Any other names from the interview aside from Peter? Do we know the identity of the other two folks who worked on the original?

Edit: The Producer you named, Thorsten, did work at Keen (Neon's successor) and Neon before that, but I don't see Kay mentioned at the moment.

No other names were mentioned, only that 3 people on the current team worked on the PS2 version. The interview didn't specify if Thorsten was among those three people. The core team are 7 people (3 programmers, 2 graphic designers, 1 UI-scripter and Thorsten, the producer) and then there's a few additional graphic designers taking care of character modelling. There also was a short preview for the game, but it's only info already covered in your OP.

edit: just checked again, the only "new" info in the preview was that the remaster has a completely new UI and that they also worked on the sound effects/voices/music (by Jake Kaufman) to make it sound even better.

I'm really looking forward to the game, the original was a hidden gem.

How old are you? Just curious, because I see this sentiment a lot with these kind of animal protagonist games (like Dust), but my generation sees them as "Chip n Dale" or "Ducktales" inspired rather than anything Sexual. Is this just a generational gap thing?

Exactly. It's kinda getting old with the whole "furrie" name drop every time an animal person is in a cartoon or video game. Anthropomorphic animals have been a staple of cartoons for nearly as long as cartoons have been around. Hell, even fuckin' DRAGON BALL has animal people(I always thought that was cool about the Dragon Ball world, that it was so peculiar, world where humans and animal people lived together, dinosaurs still roamed the earth, older era villages existed with high tech cities and vehicles).

Abdiel

Because us who play on Xbox only like shooters bruh...obviously. No it's very annoying that we get omitted so much from cool looking games because of the perceived notion that we don't like anything but shooters : /

Speaking from a retail perspective, XB customers are on a general sense, exactly what you're saying you're not, I guess. Obviously there are fans of other genres on the system, but those games don't generate much hype or sales on the platform by comparison. Jrpgs are a big one I've seen discussed on here lately, but in all the stores I monitor, they simply don't sell well at all. Shooters, sports, and the really huge franchises like ac sell well. And not even necessarily sell best on that platform, just well.

And Kagiri was the one who mentioned MS still requires high print runs of titles, which certainly doesn't help things.

takoyaki

At least in Germany (where the game is being developed), the release day has been pushed back. amazon.de now only has a placeholder date of December 31st for all versions.

edit: the German release date is now July 28, so the game is just slighty delayed

Parsnip

Steam store page still says Summer 2015, and it doesn't look like a ton of recent work has been done to it based on steamdb. I'd guess that it's ready to go but something's holding back the retail release and they pushed it back a week or two.

@MUWANdo

Banned

This is true of every platform, it's not just a MS thing.

Biker19

Banned
Everytime I see a statement like this about a game that wouldn't sell on the Xbox because of its genre, 8 times of 10 the Wii or Wii U version end up selling the worst.

That's where you're wrong.

Look at Rayman Origins & Rayman Legends. Those games sold a lot of copies on Wii & Wii U more than on 360, PS3, Xbox One, & PS4.

Game Guru

Speaking from a retail perspective, XB customers are on a general sense, exactly what you're saying you're not, I guess. Obviously there are fans of other genres on the system, but those games don't generate much hype or sales on the platform by comparison. Jrpgs are a big one I've seen discussed on here lately, but in all the stores I monitor, they simply don't sell well at all. Shooters, sports, and the really huge franchises like ac sell well. And not even necessarily sell best on that platform, just well.

And Kagiri was the one who mentioned MS still requires high print runs of titles, which certainly doesn't help things.

Indeed... If Platformers and JRPGs sold well on Xbox consoles, we would see more of them coming to the XB1, but the audience for Xbox consoles really only want shooters, sports, and AAA titles. And both the original Xbox and Xbox 360 tried to win them over and failed miserably. It even makes sense that the Wii U audience would be interested in Platformers since Mario is the premiere Platformer franchise.

Son Of D

Indeed... If Platformers and JRPGs sold well on Xbox consoles, we would see more of them coming to the XB1, but the audience for Xbox consoles really only want shooters, sports, and AAA titles. And both the original Xbox and Xbox 360 tried to win them over and failed miserably. It even makes sense that the Wii U audience would be interested in Platformers since Mario is the premiere Platformer franchise.

Exactly. Look at Final Fantasy Type-0 on Xbox One, it sold much less than the PS4 version. I'd be curious to know numbers for the Xbox versions of Rayman Legends (I know Wii U was the best selling) for a platformer perspective. As for why this is coming to 360? The platform still has a lot of younger people who own it (the success of Minecraft must have helped big time with that) so a game that's suitable for younger players does make sense to release there.

Sonic also of course especially is far stronger of a seller on Nintendo systems. Lost World had impressive legs according to NPD leaks, starting at like 15k on Wii U and seemingly passing 100k after a few months. AND All-Stars Racing Transformed sold most on Wii U versus systems (PS3 and 360) that have 10's of millions of owners.

What other obscure mascot games from the PS2/GC/XBOX deserve a remaster?

My vote is for Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Honestly? Vexx. I mean it technically was made by a lot of folks that would end up at Retro and was one of the last of their predecessor Iguana Austin. Throwback strongly hinted at it happening, but will it also be on Wii U at retail?

Edit: Actually here's a great one; Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. But that was by Eurocom and we lost them in 2012. :'(

TT Games made their counterpart Haven: Call of the King, ironically, TT Games is owned by WB, and who published that game? Midway, who bought them? WB.

Biker19

Banned

It also has to do with how Microsoft has always heavily advertised their consoles for shooters, sports, & AAA titles.

Nintendo & Sony, they target everyone (all gamers), & giving people variety (diversity) in gaming selections (& it shows in most of their exclusive games as well).

Game Guru

It also has to do with how Microsoft has always heavily advertised their consoles for shooters, sports, & AAA titles.

Nintendo & Sony, they target everyone (all gamers), & giving people variety (diversity) in gaming selections (& it shows in most of their exclusive games as well).

Eh, Nintendo's problem is in getting that shooter, sports, and & AAA audience nowadays. However, Sony has both more luck in getting the shooter, sports, & AAA audience than Nintendo does and more luck in getting the Platformer and JRPG audience than Microsoft does. This ends up giving Playstation the most variety, logically enough.

Top Bottom