• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Two brick separators to the rescue!

On a side note: URGH! Amazon lists only 15 SSDs left in stock (with more on the way).
Please be in stock on Christmas day and still discounted!

Don't make the mistake I did with when the Imperial Shuttle and Shuttle Expedition were $209 and $85. Now it is $239 and $106 and I am stuck. Do I hope for a post Christmas discount or do I watch out for the sets going out of stock and being EOL. If it is just two days, go ahead any buy it. That is what credit cards are for.

Don't make the mistake I did with when the Imperial Shuttle and Shuttle Expedition were $209 and $85. Now it is $239 and $106 and I am stuck. Do I hope for a post Christmas discount or do I watch out for the sets going out of stock and being EOL. If it is just two days, go ahead any buy it. That is what credit cards are for.

I already dropped so damn much on credit cards this christmas. But, the hell with it. I think I will bite. If I get more money on Christmas, then I get more sets later.

EDIT: It is done... SSD is on the way.

Paging Ghostmind. I cannot deny him the pleasure of posting his infamous pic...

ghostmind

XdUH8.jpg

2 8x10 plates give their collective middle finger to both those separators!

WTF? That is evil! EVIL!

I had to separate similar one time. It took quite some time with two separators. Just working two studs at a time down one side. I think it took ten minutes to take it apart.

Seriously, why stick two of those together? Would it have killed them to have one layer be 5 8x2 plates or something? Or 10 4x2?

Man, I am sorry.

YAY!

Loki's Cosmic Cube escape. $20

But the Iron Man in the Quinjet set is the Mark VII

Damnit... Hmm what are the actual visible differences in the figs here between Mark VI and VII though?

I really don't get the Quinjet pimping ;P i mean besides the minifigs it comes with (which IS a biggie but not enough for me) the Quinjet ITSELF, the centerpiece of the set doesn't appeal to me, i think it looks too much like a toy(also not enough detail in the back) plus i don't care for playability so in terms of display value it's practically zero for me :( And since i am not into MOCing (at least not yet lol) i want to avoid this set at all costs right now, bummer about the different Iron Men though in these 2 sets hmm..

wetwired

Damnit... Hmm what are the actual visible differences in the figs here between Mark VI and VII though?

I really don't get the Quinjet pimping ;P i mean besides the minifigs it comes with (which IS a biggie but not enough for me) the Quinjet ITSELF, the centerpiece of the set doesn't appeal to me, i think it looks too much like a toy(also not enough detail in the back) plus i don't care for playability so in terms of display value it's practically zero for me :( And since i am not into MOCing (at least not yet lol) i want to avoid this set at all costs right now, bummer about the different Iron Men though in these 2 sets hmm..

The one with the Quinjet has the circular chest light, the one in the loki cosmic cube chase has the triangular one.

R-User!

2 8x10 plates give their collective middle finger to both those separators!

Can't you "just" use two brick separators to pry up the corner a little, and then stick your nail or a credit card in the gap, and then use the end of the brick separator to pry/wobble/twist/lift/rock the edges across one side and then use your fingers to pull apart said pieces?

Edit: or have I just not done it yet and it really is some bullshit?

Can't you "just" use two brick separators to pry up the corner a little, and then stick your nail or a credit card in the gap, and then use the end of the brick separator to pry/wobble/twist/lift/rock the edges across one side and then use your fingers to pull apart said pieces?

Edit: or have I just not done it yet and it really is some bullshit?
with large plates you will be more successful by just using your fingers...
brick seperators dont really work...

Nitemare1

They should bring back baseplates.

You can still get baseplates. I picked up a green and a blue 32x32 a couple of months ago. they were in their own little rack on an end cap at a walmart in the toy section. I assume you should be able to get them just about anywhere.

Or do you mean the molded ones like the space terrain. I'd love to see those re-released.

The modeled ones were awesome. I love the ones I have for the big Islanders set or Dark Forest Fortress. And of course the Classic Space ones with the craters. Simple but cool nonetheless.

Also have to give a shout out to the baseplate for Poolside Paradise...they don't make them like they used to...

I just came back from the Lego shop/museum. And yeah, it was awesome. I'm making a blog post with pictures later on, but they had dioramas all over the place. Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, UCS displays, Harry Potter, the modular street, MOCs, all Star Wars Lego ever (by year), architecture... as well as lots of stuff for sale.

They didn't have any of the modulars I kind of wanted, and the medieval village was sold out. The Pet Shop was about $220. Death Star was around $500.

I came away with An Unexpected Gathering and a bunch of various minifigs. I bought a bride and groom set to make a cake topper for some friends, the race car driver minifig to get a more fitting head for the groom, the Elfaba witch minifig, the computer programmer, a Friends set to get the hairpiece I needed to make the computer programmer my sister, and a few random "build your own" figures with assorted parts I will need later.

R-User!

with large plates you will be more successful by just using your fingers...
brick seperators dont really work...

But what about using the "blade/knife" end of the separator as an "insert then leverage apart" tool if you dont have long enough fingernails to pull and pick at the seams of the two joined pieces?

The pimping of it is because of the build and the "swooshability." The build was a lot more detailed and fun than I thought it would be based on the box. I initially got it for the figures and for a glorified parts pack, but after assembling it I had to keep it together.

The build is actually modular, with the wings and cockpit actually snapping on after building them, and then secured to the main body of the ship. The body is actually rather chunky but very solid feeling once completed too. There were also little hidden details throughout the build such as the interior cabin and the hidden missile launchers.

The plan was originally to build it, keep it together for a week or less, then strip it for parts. But the moment I was finished with it, I could not help but start swooshing it around the apartment and making noises with it. It had this strange power that made me want to play with it instead of display it. A much stronger power than any other ship I had put together this past year. Yes, a stronger swoosh power than any Star Wars fighter. So now, the Quinjet remains assembled (I did take it apart and rebuild it once) after all these months, and I don't know if I can bring myself to take it off display and use it for parts.

Short version: I did not expect much from the set itself, but it was a big surprise in just how good it was in the end.

The pimping of it is because of the build and the "swooshability." The build was a lot more detailed and fun than I thought it would be based on the box. I initially got it for the figures and for a glorified parts pack, but after assembling it I had to keep it together.

The build is actually modular, with the wings and cockpit actually snapping on after building them, and then secured to the main body of the ship. The body is actually rather chunky but very solid feeling once completed too. There were also little hidden details throughout the build such as the interior cabin and the hidden missile launchers.

The plan was originally to build it, keep it together for a week or less, then strip it for parts. But the moment I was finished with it, I could not help but start swooshing it around the apartment and making noises with it. It had this strange power that made me want to play with it instead of display it. A much stronger power than any other ship I had put together this past year. Yes, a stronger swoosh power than any Star Wars fighter. So now, the Quinjet remains assembled (I did take it apart and rebuild it once) after all these months, and I don't know if I can bring myself to take it off display and use it for parts.

Short version: I did not expect much from the set itself, but it was a big surprise in just how good it was in the end.

Fair enough ;)

I guess this really illustrates how every Lego fan gets different things out of the sets, personally i only swoosh a ship i built like once or twice for kicks then probably never again, after that it's ALL about how it looks on a shelf for me and of course the minifigs, which would be the only reason this set would even tempt me. There any exclusive figs to this one ? IronMan is not (well besides the Mark VII maybe), Thor and Loki aren't either hmm not sure about Black Widow though...

Fair enough ;)

I guess this really illustrates how every Lego fan gets different things out of the sets, personally i only swoosh a ship i built like once or twice for kicks then probably never again, after that it's ALL about how it looks on a shelf for me and of course the minifigs, which would be the only reason this set would even tempt me. There any exclusive figs to this one ? IronMan is not (well besides the Mark VII maybe), Thor and Loki aren't either hmm not sure about Black Widow though...

Black Widow and Mark VII Iron Man are the exclusives.

And on a side note about the build: it is the best Marvel set out right now. All the other Marvel sets were meh to ok outside of the mini figs.

EDIT: Loki is the Gandalf the Grey of the Marvel sets. He is in most of them. Much like Gandalf in the Hobbit sets. I already have a few Loki figures.

Black Widow and Mark VII Iron Man are the exclusives.

And on a side note about the build: it is the best Marvel set out right now. All the other Marvel sets were meh to ok outside of the mini figs.

EDIT: Loki is the Gandalf the Grey of the Marvel sets. He is in most of them. Much like Gandalf in the Hobbit sets. I already have a few Loki figures.

I do agree that they are kinda lackluster so far :(

I have my eye on the Spiderman cycle chase though, good minifigs AND that sexy green jeep for a decent price!

Other than that, i think i will be holding out until those new IM3 sets arrive, let's hope that Malibu mansion will be awesome!!

I do agree that they are kinda lackluster so far :(

I have my eye on the Spiderman cycle chase though, good minifigs AND that sexy green jeep for a decent price!

Other than that, i think i will be holding out until those new IM3 sets arrive, let's hope that Malibu mansion will be awesome!!

Daily Bugle set will be mine. Just for all the figures alone. I just happen to get a few hundred bricks as a bonus.

Sweet mother, Arkham Asylum Breakout is amazing!

http://youtu.be/HTHZs_xqSso

Also, they highlight an alternate display option at 21 minutes in, I think it looks much better than the default look.

He didn't give ratings this time??? Or did i miss it? I kinda skipped around a little but pretty sure he didn't hmm...

Looks good indeed, even somewhat displayable this time, but too much dough for me to spend right now after getting the Imperial Shuttle last week :(

Fowler

So, you know that video with the bump codes for Series 8 figures?

I tried to follow it... and failed dismally. Was looking for Santa and ended up with two cowgirls and a man-bat!

neonglow

I tried to follow it... and failed dismally. Was looking for Santa and ended up with two cowgirls and a man-bat!

It was probably a different batch. Each batch number has slightly different bump codes.

I tried the bump code thing once. Failed miserably. And my bag fondling skills are not always up to snuff either. I think once I have a figure it is easier for me to tell by feeling the bags, but initially I am hit or miss. More hit than miss though.

I will probably do what I did with series 8 on my initial series 9 purchase: just grab a bunch of bags blindly to start with, then once I have a baseline on figures I need to finish the series I will move onto feeling them up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Local toy store had some chima sets in today. I still think the characters look like hawk from buck rogers, but I prefer the ripcord 'crash em bash em' type vehicles over the spinning top ninjagos. Won't buy any though

I bought a couple to take home and examine thoroughly before opening. I can hardly see the bumps.

Also looking for Santa :-/

Rhaegar

Just found the black pearl at Wal-Mart for $50!

Nice! Wasn't able to find one around here when it went on sale in the fall, so I ended up having to order that set online at MSRP as a Christmas present for my wife.

Did go to Wal-Mart today though and picked up the Luke's Speeder set. Price per brick ratio sucks, but dem minifigs!

I was about to order Darth Vader separately when i just found out that i already OWN him, he DOES come with the SSD, i totally forgot. Stupid too since how would he NOT come with his personal flagship lol??? Anyway, that's great, now all i am missing from the "main cast" of classic trilogy is probably Yoda (and several variations of Luke of which i only own Landspeeder Luke but that's ok) who is still playing hard to get!

CUUSOO started as a test in Japan, and the first two accepted projects only needed 1000 votes. Minecraft is the first and only realized worldwide project so far, requiring 10000 votes to become a reality.

Three projects which made it to 10000 votes were rejected:
* Shaun of the Dead Winchester building - Property is too violent for kids.
* Firefly Serenity ship - Property has too much sexual content for kids.
* Star Wars Dark Bucket - Star Wars license prohibits a collection of just minifigures. That would fall under action figure instead of construction toy, and the Star Wars Action Figure license lies elsewhere.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/CUUSOO
but princess leia as a sex slave in jabba the hutts palace is ok, hm...

sharbhund

He didn't give ratings this time??? Or did i miss it? I kinda skipped around a little but pretty sure he didn't hmm...

Looks good indeed, even somewhat displayable this time, but too much dough for me to spend right now after getting the Imperial Shuttle last week :(

He gives the ratings at the very end of the review.
9/10 for kids, 10/10 for adults.

He gives the ratings at the very end of the review.
9/10 for kids, 10/10 for adults.

ok thanks, they do tend to overrate pretty much EVERY set consistently but that is just the way the roll, still love them! Strange, i thought he'd give higher marks for kids here for sheer playability, but i guess even for display value this does look pretty damn good for a set of this kind! If only it wasn't so expensive :(

sharbhund

ok thanks, they do tend to overrate pretty much EVERY set consistently but that is just the way the roll, still love them! Strange, i thought he'd give higher marks for kids here for sheer playability, but i guess even for display value this does look pretty damn good for a set of this kind! If only it wasn't so expensive :(

He docked a point for kids because the set doesn't include all of the Batman villain minifigs that should be in Arkham (like Mr. Freeze).

ruxtpin

Banned
Getting some inspiration from the following guides...

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/skyrim-moc/

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60907

(Watkin's work is amazing)

1333136641m_DISPLAY.jpg

...and started sketching out my plans for an MOC. I'm thinking a scout/guard tower with a small courtyard area, complete with a little path and a bridge over some rapids, set among some jagged rock formations. I'm definitely not going for the size of the above picture though, but I'm thinking it'll be a pretty good sized display.

It's definitely going to require thousands of bricks. I'm thinking the next steps to plan the colors I want to use and get some rough estimates for amounts I'll need and place some larger orders on BrickLink.

beje

Banned
Ok guys. I want to get back into Lego at 26. So far I've been browsing the website and while I'm not too interested in licensed or heavy themed stuff, I fell in love with the Lego Creator series. I'd like to have a nice, affordable "starter" box to make different kind of vehicles and so far I've pinned these two to combine, and probably expand in the future with other Creator stuff like a house.

http://shop.lego.com/en-ES/Fun-with-Vehicles-4635
http://shop.lego.com/en-ES/Propeller-Adventures-7292

Any other tip or recommendation?

Top Bottom