• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ok guys. I want to get back into Lego at 26. So far I've been browsing the website and while I'm not too interested in licensed or heavy themed stuff, I fell in love with the Lego Creator series. I'd like to have a nice, affordable "starter" box to make different kind of vehicles and so far I've pinned these two to combine, and probably expand in the future with other Creator stuff like a house.

http://shop.lego.com/en-ES/Fun-with-Vehicles-4635
http://shop.lego.com/en-ES/Propeller-Adventures-7292

Any other tip or recommendation?
Both of those are great starter packs for what you are looking for.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ok guys. I want to get back into Lego at 26. So far I've been browsing the website and while I'm not too interested in licensed or heavy themed stuff, I fell in love with the Lego Creator series. I'd like to have a nice, affordable "starter" box to make different kind of vehicles and so far I've pinned these two to combine, and probably expand in the future with other Creator stuff like a house.

Agreed those are both good places to start. It is hard to go wrong with the Creator series. Take a look at some of the newer Creator sets coming out as well (they should all be listed on shop.lego.com by now), you can get a great selection of parts at a very reasonable price.

Welcome back to LEGO!

neonglow

Those are this year's models so they might be hard to come by very soon. The power mech looks like you can create lots of different vehicles.

31007_alt3.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I built the Black Pearl. I had a few pirate sets as a kid, but I never had any of the ships, so this was a whole lot of fun. The rigging and such were very enjoyable.

Now considering grabbing an Imperial Flagship before they go up too high in price...

ghostmind

So I built the Black Pearl. I had a few pirate sets as a kid, but I never had any of the ships, so this was a whole lot of fun. The rigging and such were very enjoyable.

Now considering grabbing an Imperial Flagship before they go up too high in price...

Yarrr!

Bitten by the nautical bug have ye been, har har!

T'would be a fair course to seek out the Queen Anne's Revenge me bucko, lest the depths of Davy Jones locker consume it for all time.

Har har!

beje

Banned
Thanks all! And about that green robot, I've noticed that a lot of sets (including that one) are missing from the Spanish shop and appear as soon as I change to USA. I don't know if it also affects retail stuff so I'll raid a TRU later this week to see what can I find.

For UK LEGO GAF the next AFOL day has been announced.

From Brickset;

The next date is Saturday, 2nd February 2013 and the times will be:

Milton Keynes – 8.30am – 9.30am
Cardiff – 8.30am – 9.30am
Bluewater – 8.00am – 9.00am
Watford – 8.00am – 9.00am
Sheffield – 8.00am – 9.00am
Manchester – 8.00am – 9.00am
Liverpool -8.00-am – 9.00am
Stratford – 8.00am – 9.00am
Brighton – 8.00am – 9.00am
Westfield – 9.00am – 10.00am

The Terms:

As an AFOL you will get an exclusive 15% discount on all articles in the store except for already discounted articles, gift certificates and books. Only consumer sales will be allowed, so no retail and only in amounts for end consumers. Exclusive sets will be limited to 5 per Person. You cannot reserve any products in advance.

Stratford is easier for me to get to just about so I'll probably head there.

Today was obviously the last day for advent calendars. My wife bought me the SW one this year and I have to say it was pretty disappointing overall. I had to look up several of the ships & one of the minifigs because there was a lot of clone wars / prequel era stuff. I guess that's to be expected.

The two "holiday" figures are great but I don't think I'll do another SW set next year. On the upside I elected not to get my daughter the Friends one...which was a good decision. It looks like it was an awful collection of pieces.

Aside from the Jabba/Rancor sets I think I may bow out of Star Wars LEGO. The prices are just too high & themes like Holiday & Modular are way more attractive in my opinion.

ghostmind

Today was obviously the last day for advent calendars. My wife bought me the SW one this year and I have to say it was pretty disappointing overall. I had to look up several of the ships & one of the minifigs because there was a lot of clone wars / prequel era stuff. I guess that's to be expected.

The two "holiday" figures are great but I don't think I'll do another SW set next year. On the upside I elected not to get my daughter the Friends one...which was a good decision. It looks like it was an awful collection of pieces.

Aside from the Jabba/Rancor sets I think I may bow out of Star Wars LEGO. The prices are just too high & themes like Holiday & Modular are way more attractive in my opinion.

I picked up the SW calendar when they had it for $25, so I feel that I paid a reasonable price for the minifigs alone, although many of them were generic "battle pack" fodder. If I had paid $50 for that calendar I would not be pleased.

MrDaravon

One of my friends is the manager at a really large/busy flea market, and he knows to keep an eye out for any lego stuff for me. As one of my birthday presents he gave me these which he picked up there for $20 total off someone!

3m2yH.jpg

h2Q2L.jpg

I'm about to go through them and breakdown/rebuild to see, but they seem to be if not complete very close to on all of them, and they seem to have minifigs and sticker sheets as well. Pretty pumped, although I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the the Y-Wings, especially since I have the newer release of it anyway :p.

They seem to be in good shape and not obviously dirty in any way (given the complete boxes and sticker sheet(s) it seems like this was someone who at least halfway cared), but what was the recommended method to clean lego outside of the pillowcase way?

Nitemare1

Put together the creator Transport Chopper a couple of nights ago. Love this set.
sorry for the crappy iphone pic

chopper_zpsb8f74679.jpg

fact: I took many pics trying to get a decent one with the blades both spinning! :D

Damn, the new LEGO Superhero sets are pre-selling out on Amazon. The only one left is Daily Buggle. Not sure what I want to do with my $50 gift card. I sure wish Amazon still stocked the Quinjet too.

beje

Banned
And done! I'm not disassembling this until I manage to get a brick separator, I value my nails and teeth way more than when I was 7.

Wj5r7.jpg

Getting some inspiration from the following guides...

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/skyrim-moc/

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60907

(Watkin's work is amazing)

1333136641m_DISPLAY.jpg

...and started sketching out my plans for an MOC. I'm thinking a scout/guard tower with a small courtyard area, complete with a little path and a bridge over some rapids, set among some jagged rock formations. I'm definitely not going for the size of the above picture though, but I'm thinking it'll be a pretty good sized display.

It's definitely going to require thousands of bricks. I'm thinking the next steps to plan the colors I want to use and get some rough estimates for amounts I'll need and place some larger orders on BrickLink.

Wow. WOW. I love this, and it gives me lots of ideas for my wizard's tower.

My daughter got Andrea's Stage at a gift exchange last night. I can't believe how terrific the piano is, here. I have never really been happy with my own attempts at pianos in the past, yet this is devilishly simple. One of those "why didn't I think of that??" moments. The Friends "rock band" is so good...well worth the four or so small set purchases it takes to put it together.

Getting some inspiration from the following guides...

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/skyrim-moc/

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60907

(Watkin's work is amazing)

1333136641m_DISPLAY.jpg

...and started sketching out my plans for an MOC. I'm thinking a scout/guard tower with a small courtyard area, complete with a little path and a bridge over some rapids, set among some jagged rock formations. I'm definitely not going for the size of the above picture though, but I'm thinking it'll be a pretty good sized display.

It's definitely going to require thousands of bricks. I'm thinking the next steps to plan the colors I want to use and get some rough estimates for amounts I'll need and place some larger orders on BrickLink.

WOW. I love his guides for techniques. It actually makes me want to disassemble all the MOC Modulars I have and attempt to make one HUGE MOC at some point.

Damn, the new LEGO Superhero sets are pre-selling out on Amazon. The only one left is Daily Buggle. Not sure what I want to do with my $50 gift card. I sure wish Amazon still stocked the Quinjet too.

They WILL get em back in store though at some point right? I'd hate to have to make up my mind on some of these now because of being pressured ...

also: just got gifted one of those planet series 2 Star Wars sets, the AT-ST +Endor set with the AT-ST driver. I must say i am pleasantly surprised, it looks great on display sitting on my desk below my PC monitor!!! What other ones of this (or series 1) can be recommended?

They WILL get em back in store though at some point right? I'd hate to have to make up my mind on some of these now because of being pressured ...

also: just got gifted one of those planet series 2 Star Wars sets, the AT-ST +Endor set with the AT-ST driver. I must say i am pleasantly surprised, it looks great on display sitting on my desk below my PC monitor!!! What other ones of this (or series 1) can be recommended?

I like the X-Wing and the Tie Interceptor! Target is slowly dropping the price on them. (Some places are down to 50% where as some are still at 70%). Those 2 are the ones I am looking to get. Naboo Star Fighter and Podracer are quite decent as well.

Just had an awesome Christmas eve...

My brother gave me this
[IG]http://a.tgcdn.net/images/products/zoom/ed38_lego_lotr_shelob_attacks.jpg[/IMG]

My parents gave me this
[IG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8187208282_dd5f8b6858_c.jpg[/IMG]

And my wife gave me this
[IG]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121103121018/lego/images/d/de/79003_box.jpg[/IMG]

Just started building Bag End. It is really fun.

Opened Christmas gifts. Got the Droid Escape (Sandtroopers ftw) and another Y Wing. Debating about keeping the y wing or driving to MA to the Lego store to exchange it. That would take a chunk out of a b wing or horizon express. :)

MrDaravon

Opened Christmas gifts. Got the Droid Escape (Sandtroopers ftw) and another Y Wing. Debating about keeping the y wing or driving to MA to the Lego store to exchange it. That would take a chunk out of a b wing or horizon express. :)

The Sandtroopers in Droid Escape are badass.

Spent most of the day going through those open Lego seats I posted above, kind of a mixed bag and I'm not really sure what I want to do with them.

Y-Wing set 1 - Complete with minifigs and in good shape.
Y-Wing set 2 - Missing minifigs and 2 (very small) pieces, is actually pretty dirty.
Arc Fighter - Missing 23 pieces (basically the main piece of one of the wings) but otherwise complete and with minifigs, but stickers have been applied.
Naboo Starfighter & Vulture Droid - Missing 93 pieces (mainly most of the Vulture Droid) but otherwise complete and with minifigs. Sticker sheet unused.
Rogue Shadow - Missing 5 small pieces and is dusty (but not dirty), but otherwise complete and with minifigs.

Outside of figuring out how to clean them (mainly the one Y-Wing) I have no idea what to really do with this stuff. I've got most of the minifigs which is rad (especially the three with from the Rogue Shadow), but I'm not sure that I want to necessarily go through the hassle of completing the sets on bricklink. I already have the new Y-Wing so these two being basically complete doesn't really entice me, and I definitely am not inclined to complete the Naboo set. The Arc Fighter I would maybe consider, and the Rogue Shadow is kind of a so-so set. But on the other hand I think just cleaning them and throwing the pieces into my wife's bucket for MOC purposes it a bit of a waste since she does mostly just buildings and Star Wars ship pieces don't generally lend themselves to that. Would also seem like a bit of a waste of the boxes and manuals which aren't in fantastic shape, but still. Hmmmm.

I will also say that these are the first older sets I've messed with, and even in the 4-5 years since these sets came out there's definitely been a level of polish and improvement in the current sets that these don't have. Oh and I already know I'm getting the R2-D2 set tomorrow for Christmas, but I'll finally be able to give my wife her stuff tomorrow that I haven't been able to post in the thread that I picked up; I've been sitting on some of this stuff for months :p

Finished Droid Escape. Fun lil set. The pod itself was neat to put together.

But cmon, we all know the reason this set kicks ass from here to right over there:

sw364.jpg

sw383.jpg

These guys are AWESOME! Best looking Imperial figure out there. Dat paint job!

The new C-3PO is a big improvement over the Death Star one as well.

sw365.jpg

New C-3PO

sw161a.jpg

Death Star C-3PO

And now I have yet another R2D2 to join the ranks.

And decided to exchange the Y-wing. Some pieces would be nice to have for MOCing while allowing me to keep the other ship together, but not that many pieces. Going to drive to the nearest Lego store (70 miles) and exchange it after the new year. Now to decide what to get with the money.

Does Target do any lego sales at all?

I have a $50 gift card to Target and kiiiind of want to pick something up. Either Star Wars or City.

They just had a buy one get one half off sale on all LEGO City sets and I think they were doing something like 20-25% off on a lot of the other stuff. Not sure if that was just my local one or online as well.

sharbhund

Does Target do any lego sales at all?

I have a $50 gift card to Target and kiiiind of want to pick something up. Either Star Wars or City.

Last year in mid-January, Target had Portal of Atlantis and Scorpion Pyramid for 50% off. As posted earlier, they frequently have 20-25% off sales too.

Been slightly out of the Lego loop as ive been working on my Marvel collection and got into Hot Toys. Whats the status on the Death Star? Do I need to bite yet?

Been slightly out of the Lego loop as ive been working on my Marvel collection and got into Hot Toys. Whats the status on the Death Star? Do I need to bite yet?
Death Star is an anomaly. It should have disappeared a long time ago, but it still remains. You should get it sooner rather than later. Once the thermal exhaust port is discovered that set will probably shoot up in price.

Merry Christmas, LEGO GAF!

My wife gave a few Galaxy Squad sets. I've already built the Space Swarmer and Swarm Interceptor. About to start on the third and final set, the Bug Obliterator!

Merry Christmas!

Got the sons a couple of Winter Village sets (Cottage & Post Office), plus a bunch of the smaller Star Wars sets. Tomorrow will be a great day!

nny

Merry Christmas! May there be plenty of joy and LEGO sets for you all today!

*goes back to assembling the Sopwith Camel*

Fxp

Happy holidays, LEGO fans! Let next year be full of awesome new sets, great discounts and lots of free time to deal with our backlogs!
Now it's time to finally assemble my Grand Emporium and Seaside House.

Top Bottom