• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Fire Brigade is the only one I own, being sold on Amazon for $150, and if Parisian Restaurant is also $150 then I'm almost certainly getting it. The piece count is higher than Fire Brigade!

Although since the fire station is taller, I fear the restaurant has a million little 1x1 or something. :p

It is $159 and there are a good bit of 1x1 tiles on the kitchen floor I believe.

wetwired

Thanks for all the comments, I'm off for another tiring day of standing behind my display, it's worth it all to see the smile on kids faces as they see all the characters hidden about...I think I might get bigger smiles out of the Dads though.

Wow, at the entire display. Awesome work Wetwire. Where is it being display at?

BrisBricks Expo in Brisbane, Australia

That could very well be the mother of all dioramas! So much detail, so many iconic figures and scenes, and the new buildings meld flawlessly with the modulars.

What's the estimated cost of all that?

I have no idea, It'd have to be in the thousands, the amount of minifigs in the scene and the estimated cost of the ghostbuster firehouse is about $500 alone.

The ikea frame display (which I just realised I forgot to add a picture of, see below) must be worth about $1600 or more alone.

Ikea Frames by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Actually those are battle packs. The Planet sets are being replaced by what are now being called "Microfighters". These are small chibi-style vehicles (though larger than the Planet vehicles) paired with a related minifigure. The sets for 1H 2014 are:

75028 Clone Turbo Tank with 501st Clone
75029 AAT with Battle Droid
75030 Millennium Falcon with Han Solo
75031 TIE Interceptor with TIE Pilot
75032 X-Wing Fighter with Pilot
75033 Star Destroyer with Imperial Officer

I'm really not looking forward to this wave. While the planets weren't great, these just don't look right.

Photobomb incoming!

Perfection. Simply beautiful.

I went to a Lego expo in Tassie yesterday and while there were some huge Lego fans with some nice displays, nothing can hold a candle to this. We're really spoiled here on LegoGAF.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Thanks for all the comments, I'm off for another tiring day of standing behind my display, it's worth it all to see the smile on kids faces as they see all the characters hidden about...I think I might get bigger smiles out of the Dads though.

BrisBricks Expo in Brisbane, Australia

I have no idea, It'd have to be in the thousands, the amount of minifigs in the scene and the estimated cost of the ghostbuster firehouse is about $500 alone.

The ikea frame display (which I just realised I forgot to add a picture of, see below) must be worth about $1600 or more alone.

Ikea Frames by Brent Waller, on Flickr

All the CMF? Avengers and LOTR? Nice collection! Question... How did you get medusa to fit? Any special cutting or anything?

A similar phenomenon occurs whenever I see a Warhammer 40k army in front of me. My mind quickly does the math and figures out how many thousands of dollars were spent on what is essentially, a toy. I really try not to do it to my own stuff though, lol!

That display is next level though. And your minifig displays are pure class.

I'll be getting Palace Cinema for Xmas this year, no doubt. I'll buy that new modular Day 1. It looks great. My city is growing by leap and bounds!

All these modular images flying around makes me wnat (for the first time) more than the Fire Brigade I already have.

I'm thinking Grand Emporium, Town Hall and Cinema will do and I'll think about the Parisian Restaurant. SO much for being a Space (or Star Wars) only guy...

Also, awesome work Wetwired.

shadow29

Neo Member
Went to the grand opening in Utah. 2 hour wait. Couldn't believe it'd be that crowded out here. Got the Store though for free. Unfortunately because of the crowd I couldnt get any of the minifigs. The PAB was relatively tame. Picked up alot of 1x2 and 1x4 red orange bricks though. So not bad. Plus most importantly the Haunted House.

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone have a chance to snag the Ewok Village? Seeing as how it qualifies for double VIP and I don't think you can snag it at a deep discount in Amazon - might be the way to go.

ghostmind

Anyone have a chance to snag the Ewok Village? Seeing as how it qualifies for double VIP and I don't think you can snag it at a deep discount in Amazon - might be the way to go.

Waiting until the 14th, so I can get double VIP and the first Christmas promo set.

Waiting until the 14th, so I can get double VIP and the first Christmas promo set.

I'm doing the same thing with my next purchase, but I had to get in early with Jabba's Palace to get double VIP started properly. I think I'll shoot for Palace Cinema on the 14th. I'm actually considering holding off on the WV Market to see if it gets discounted like the cottage did this year. Is there a precedent for this?

The nostalgia is hitting me hard with the Jabba set. We had a copy of Jedi on Betamax (completely legit, no doubt) when I was a kid and I have seen it far too many times. The details are amazing.

I build minifigs last whenever I'm doing a set. My seven year old daughter picked up Leia's helmet and asked if she could assemble the figure (Boushh) when I'm done. I noticed she was holding Han in carbonite in her other hand. So many feels.

chidrock

I got it and am happy with it. I'm not big on foliage and the stuff they did with robot arms and bannisters set off my OCD a little bit, but other than that it was fun putting it together spread out over a couple of nights. The trees felt varied, but I'm not sure how doing them in a marathon would be.

It's the same designer as the Arkham Breakout, and just like with that it's better at home than in the display case at the store or in pictures. (not that the pics are bad) for some reason I kept thinking about that set as I put it together, even though they are pretty different.

Second opinion: my 6 year old son has a blast playing with it - there are a lot of play features packed into a tight space with this one.

I got it and am happy with it. I'm not big on foliage and the stuff they did with robot arms and bannisters set off my OCD a little bit, but other than that it was fun putting it together spread out over a couple of nights. The trees felt varied, but I'm not sure how doing them in a marathon would be.

It's the same designer as the Arkham Breakout, and just like with that it's better at home than in the display case at the store or in pictures. (not that the pics are bad) for some reason I kept thinking about that set as I put it together, even though they are pretty different.

Second opinion: my 6 year old son has a blast playing with it - there are a lot of play features packed into a tight space with this one.

I still need Arkham, but Ewok Village comes first. Both come from Marcos "Quinjet" Bessa, so I am sold on that alone. Glad to see that guy get bigger sets.
Also mad that they released a huge Bessa set the same day as a huge Jamie set (Sydney Opera House)

10243_box1_in.jpg
I realized this is the first Modular in some time (maybe ever) to come in a smaller box. I know LEGO has gone to more compact boxes this year (for which I am glad), but after Palace Cinema still coming in an epic box, I expected the modulars to continue in the big boxes.

Oh well. I am looking at this set as Jamie coming back to modulars to show people how it is done. Now let Marcos Bessa or the designer of Haunted House get a crack at doing an official modular. Because the Haunted House designer already shamed the entire modular line with a single set.

ghostmind

I realized this is the first Modular in some time (maybe ever) to come in a smaller box. I know LEGO has gone to more compact boxes this year (for which I am glad), but after Palace Cinema still coming in an epic box, I expected the modulars to continue in the big boxes.

Oh well. I am looking at this set as Jamie coming back to modulars to show people how it is done. Now let Marcos Bessa or the designer of Haunted House get a crack at doing an official modular. Because the Haunted House designer already shamed the entire modular line with a single set.

Adam Grabowski - he also designed the UCS Imperial Shuttle, Queen Anne's Revenge, and the Tantive IV to name a few.

Adam Grabowski - he also designed the UCS Imperial Shuttle, Queen Anne's Revenge, and the Tantive IV to name a few.

Well, Imperial Shuttle and Queen Anne's Revenge were godly. I missed out on the UCS Tantive IV, and am mad about it. It looks so wonderful. Unless you meant the regular version, which is still awesome looking.

Either way, I want to know more about this man's work, because I love what he has done so far.

I look at Jamie as the person I expect to deliver 10 times out of 10. The bar is high for him, but it is his own fault.
Marcos Bessa grabbed my attention immediately with Quinjet. Perhaps it was my low expectations of it that made me so blown away by it, but everything else of his still delivers on the polish that set had.

Said it in the last thread, but I really wish LEGO would list the designers on their site and the list of sets they did. There are some sets I would probably have zero interest in that I would buy based solely on who the designer is.

Fowler

Marcos Bessa grabbed my attention immediately with Quinjet. Perhaps it was my low expectations of it that made me so blown away by it, but everything else of his still delivers on the polish that set had.

Bessa's Arkham Asylum is so, so, so good. Only halfway through but love the little touches.

Bessa's Arkham Asylum is so, so, so good. Only halfway through but love the little touches.

Soon. Soon. The set had my attention immediately, but finding it was from him shot the interest to 11.

I know Ghostmind posted a list of designers and sets in the last thread, so I am curious to see it again. Perhaps a greatest hits of the big designers. Jamie and Marcos being at the top for me. And now have my eye on anything by Adam Grabowski since he did both Imperial Shuttle and Haunted House. That is a helluva resume right there.

And for as much shit I give Astrid for Town Hall and Palace Cinema (which are great sets, just not to the same level as the Jamie modulars), her work on the Winter Village Cottage and the Friends line won me over big time. I think she flourishes on smaller scale and small life details.

UCS Slave I would be a nice addition to the line...

That is a helluva tease. And would be a pleasant surprise.

And here I was hoping for a redone UCS Star Destroyer.

EDIT: Of course, what would compliment Slave 1 perfectly? An UCS Cloud City playset. The only thing worthy enough to replace the Best Star.

Fowler

EDIT: Of course, what would compliment Slave 1 perfectly? An UCS Cloud City playset. The only thing worthy enough to replace the Best Star.

I'd totally go for a UCS Cloud City... but I'll settle for a Carbonite Freezing set that has a mechanism where Han Solo drops into the hole and re-emerges as a carbonate block (like the Batcave set, where Bruce Wayne goes into the top and comes out the other end as Batman).

Of course, unlike the Batcave, Han Solo re-emerges from the same hole he gets dropped into, so it'd be more like a lever... hrm... someone more clever with MOCs than me might have to figure this out :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'd like some Jawa minifigures. I'd be happy with a chibi Sand Crawler. Maybe something for that new line of Star Wars set?

wetwired

All the CMF? Avengers and LOTR? Nice collection! Question... How did you get medusa to fit? Any special cutting or anything?

yeah I had to cut a slit for her tail to sit through PLUS put some blu tack (not sure if it's called the same overseas) between the glass and the inner frame to make it deeper.

Another photobomb incoming in a few hours, I took more photos of other peoples displays today and I still didn't get photos of it all.

Too many to post in the thread, here's a link to the flickr album

Some of my faves:

10116060363_538a91d522_c.jpg

This guy's stuff is insane. This close up of some tanks in particular.

10115927645_ab35a8eaff_c.jpg

Absolutely love using the mini fig claws as whiskers.

10115918256_65a1fc48ef_c.jpg

10116028273_c4143e6f87_c.jpg

The full scale of this set up is impressive. Too bad all the trains were not brick built. At least part of them were from the looks of all the pics.

10115953866_a90482787d_c.jpg

Double your Tower Bridginess.

10115837994_a601e328a4_c.jpg

Okay, a few questions about this one:

1. How stable and secure is that track as it runs a spiral? Just doing a small curve elevated on my diorama didn't seem that stable, so I am curious if something like this could actually sustain a train moving on it. From the looks of it it is not meant to do that, but it gets my mind racing.

2: Is this a roller coaster? I see a motor at the back of the display. So is it raising a car up the middle then sending it on a ride down the tracks? I would love to see this thing in motion if that is the case.

3. All that black mast rigging used on the fence. With Siegfried (i think it was him) talking about how expensive those pieces are lately, that is one pricey (and great looking) fence. :)

Thank you for the pics. Some amazing stuff on display.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Wow. LEGO Thread No.3!

Been a while since I last posted, but I have almost completed my collection of Galaxy Squad sets. Just need the 2 polybags and the Star Slicer. Phon you are indeed correct the Hive Crawler is just incredible and the Galactic Titan is awesome too.

What are the chances of a Phase 2 next year? I would love to see a GT sized set for the bugs and a proper set for the Red team.

Also has anyone bought and built the Sydney Opera House? I need pics to make up my mind.

Calm Killer

UCS Slave I would be a nice addition to the line...

So you are a tease now. I see. I would rather have a remake of the destroyer personally. An at at or something link that.

ghostmind

So you are a tease now. I see. I would rather have a remake of the destroyer personally. An at at or something link that.

An ISD remake would be grand, as would a UCS AT-AT. I think we'll get those in due time. It will be interesting to see which vehicles return in the new trilogy, as that may drive some UCS offerings.

For now, my rumor is just a rumor.

3. All that black mast rigging used on the fence. With Siegfried (i think it was him) talking about how expensive those pieces are lately, that is one pricey (and great looking) fence. :)

Yes... but there's no way he bought those recently. Probably someone who stocked up while they were in production, or cleared out the stock of someone who did.

He could make a small fortune selling them now though, if he hurries up.

ghostmind

Yes... but there's no way he bought those recently. Probably someone who stocked up while they were in production, or cleared out the stock of someone who did.

He could make a small fortune selling them now though, if he hurries up.

So a full blown series, or just a one-off? 2016 is so far away, so what is happening in the interim? Hopefully not what happened to Castle...

Calm Killer

Some of my faves:

10116060363_538a91d522_c.jpg

This guy's stuff is insane. This close up of some tanks in particular.

10115927645_ab35a8eaff_c.jpg

Absolutely love using the mini fig claws as whiskers.

10115918256_65a1fc48ef_c.jpg

10116028273_c4143e6f87_c.jpg

The full scale of this set up is impressive. Too bad all the trains were not brick built. At least part of them were from the looks of all the pics.

10115953866_a90482787d_c.jpg

Double your Tower Bridginess.

10115837994_a601e328a4_c.jpg

Okay, a few questions about this one:

1. How stable and secure is that track as it runs a spiral? Just doing a small curve elevated on my diorama didn't seem that stable, so I am curious if something like this could actually sustain a train moving on it. From the looks of it it is not meant to do that, but it gets my mind racing.

2: Is this a roller coaster? I see a motor at the back of the display. So is it raising a car up the middle then sending it on a ride down the tracks? I would love to see this thing in motion if that is the case.

This is impressive. I love the detail in the minifig claws. The roller coaster is interesting. Love all the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

So a full blown series, or just a one-off? 2016 is so far away, so what is happening in the interim? Hopefully not what happened to Castle...

All I know is that the rigging is coming back, not for what. Although it's exciting to speculate since most things it can be used for are awesome.

Calm Killer

Alright, I have $350 alotted Christmas money to spend on myself. I am getting R2D2 for sure. So that is 180 gone. 170 to spend still. What do I spend it on?

My list of possibilities are:

79109 Colby City Showdown
10226 Sopwith Camel
31012 Family House
60026 Town Square
79105 Baxter Robot Rampage

Obviously I want all these sets. But which should I go with during double VIP? Also take into consideration that I will be getting 10235 Winter Village Market on brick Friday. I also plan on getting city advent calendar, but should I wait until after Christmas to get it cheaper?

Is 79109 Colby City Showdown worth the $50?

Alright, I have $350 alotted Christmas money to spend on myself. I am getting R2D2 for sure. So that is 180 gone. 170 to spend still. What do I spend it on?

My list of possibilities are:

79109 Colby City Showdown
10226 Sopwith Camel
31012 Family House
60026 Town Square
79105 Baxter Robot Rampage

Obviously I want all these sets. But which should I go with during double VIP? Also take into consideration that I will be getting 10235 Winter Village Market on brick Friday. I also plan on getting city advent calendar, but should I wait until after Christmas to get it cheaper?

Is 79109 Colby City Showdown worth the $50?

Family House is the only one of those that I have, but it is really nice. It is very different from a lot of houses and feels really modern.

Top Bottom