• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I got to book 9 and just sort of stopped after that. Can someone infodump some of the big revelations revealed in the last book?

Pretty much every minor character introduced in the entirety of the series is dead, Olaf is dead (harpooned by a man named Ishmael), Lemony Snicket's sister is dead, and the Baudelaires might be dead.

I appreciated how every book in the series except The End had a title where both of the words started with the same letter.

Prompto

Banned
I used to love this series as a kid but hated that it never got around to answering the big questions. I still wanna know what the hell the sugar bowl was.
Theres a movie about these books. Is it any good?
I liked it. There's some changes from the book and such but overall it's decent. Also visually it looks great. Same guy who did the cinematography for the movie also is the cinematographer for all of Alfonso Cuaron's films and some of the recent films of Terrence Malick.

There was one particular section (I forget which book) where the word "never" was repeated for at least 2 pages that had me rolling for a good while. I never finished the series for some reason, and it's somewhat disappointing to learn that not much got explained in the end.

vladdamad

Does anyone remember the Unauthorized Autobiography? It was a collection of papers and censored files.

Yeah that thing was awesome. I remember there being a secret code in it to do with a film script where you would have to read every 10th word to get the message, and then if you used it on some of the pages in the main series you would get more hints for lore-related stuff. The Beatrice Letters were also awesome, they came with giant cut-out letters that you were meant to use to solve an anagram.

element

It is curious how widely praised this series was and how quickly it died. I think the failure of the movie and the shift in age of the reader to more mature books like Twilight didn't help.

I remember working on a large pitch to make games on the series. Some really fun ideas.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It is curious how widely praised this series was and how quickly it died. I think the failure of the movie and the shift in age of the reader to more mature books like Twilight didn't help.

I remember working on a large pitch to make games on the series. Some really fun ideas.

Man, games could have been amazing. Oh well.

I loved these books, though I didn't read all of them. I wanted to read them to my daughter when she was younger, but my wife vetoed that idea. She did start them on her own, but prefers his other series, All the Wrong Questions. We went to a reading by Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler and he was very amusing. He pretended to merely be Snicket's "representative"; my daughter was a volunteer from the crowd when he needed a demonstration and "to make things easier for him" he referred to every kid thereafter by her name.

daman824

Bringing back memories. We read the first three books in my fourth grade class. The movie came out either while we were reading them or right after we finished so we went on a fieldtrip to the movie theater. They actually sectioned off one of the rooms for the entire class. It was really cool.

I remember being legitimately confused when the movie started and this came up (sorry for the quality). I'm surprised they never made a sequel. The movie reviewed well. I remember reading that they originally were going to make another one but the kid actors all got too old. They then were going to try to make it claymation or something. But that never worked out. Jim Carrey did a great job though. And the overall tone of the movie was great.

I actually have the fourth and ninth books aswell. But I never finished them.

vladdamad

Bringing back memories. We read the first three books in my fourth grade class. The movie came out either while we were reading them or right after we finished so we went on a fieldtrip to the movie theater. They actually sectioned off one of the rooms for the entire class. It was really cool.

I remember being legitimately confused when the movie started and this came up (sorry for the quality). I'm surprised they never made a sequel. The movie reviewed well. I remember reading that they originally were going to make another one but the kid actors all got too old. They then were going to try to make it claymation or something. But that never worked out. Jim Carrey did a great job though. And the overall tone of the movie was great.

I actually have the fourth and ninth books aswell. But I never finished them.

A claymation sequel would have been incredible, especially if done in a style similar to something Tim Burton-esque, like Nightmare Before Christmas

Tuck

Still pissed that the author didn't even try to wrap up any of the (many) plot threads in the last book. Left so many things open I'm convinced he just had no idea how to bring everything together in a way that made sense.

Toth

Fun fact: the movie won an Oscar for best makeup. It also was nominated for its excellent soundtrack.

One of my favorite book series of all time. I think it could really use a re-read. Snicket's sense of humor is something that's very hard to match, but he's absolutely brilliant. I loved when he would say a word a kid might not know, followed by "a word which here means, ..." and occasionally have really specific definitions. I've liked the page on facebook and it's one of the few I haven't hidden, since it means I get a quote a day on my feed. Always makes me smile. He was brilliant with metaphor.

Lemony Snicket said:
"If you have ever peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable."

I did enjoy the movie adaptation, despite the changes it made. I'd really love for a new, successful take on the series to be done, just so other people could enjoy the fantastic story. It's hard to imagine how it would work as anything other than novels, though.

I read the series and still don't remember what VFD stood for.

Very Fancy Doilies.

dalVlatko

I remember loving the series but ending up disappointed in the the final (or last two?) books.

I can hardly remember anything about the plot though.

Aiustis

He (Daniel Handler) came to our library. He's a really hilarious guy. Also this series is a literary masterpiece.

Protag

Banned
Volunteer Fire Department was the main one I think. Whatever it was, VFD was just the abbreviation for the secret organization. What was the significance of the sugar bowl again? Did it have coordinates on it or something?

Does anyone remember the Unauthorized Autobiography? It was a collection of papers and censored files.

It was def volunteer fire department.

The sugar bowl, like many or some plotlinesnin the series are never truly resolved. One of the others being what happened to duncan

Randdalf

I didn't realize how quickly he churned these out at first. Three in one year?!

Well, at the start they were both pretty short and didn't exactly have the most complicated plots. Although elements of intrigue were introduced over time, the first five or six books are very similarly structured and plotted.

Zizbuka

Banned
I only made it through the first book. I hate watching movies after reading the books, I spend too much of the movie comparing and not enjoying the movie so I waited..........

Everyone should try this series, seems to have flown under the radar but it's a great series. I'd make a thread but I'm not very good at it.

Edge Chronicles

The_Edge_Chronicles_Books_jpg_650x10000_q85.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nick waited too long from what I heard to do a sequel and they pretty much started to outgrow the series. Like they were going to do a sequel 2-3 years later but it was too late

Make all of the kids CGI instead of just one, lol.

I read them all at the library and then bought all the books last year.

Seriously I love them. I love how he tells you which characters are going to die at the beginning but when he gets to it you still are surprised!
It's just so sad.

I love at the end of book 12 he sets up all of these questions and everything that is going to be answered then at the start of book 13 he just screws all of those and starts a pretty much stand alone story.

Praises cannot be high enough for this series.
I love it.

i think i gave up at around book five because it just got too repetitive for me. but damn the design of these covers was so good.

I read them all and I remember being enraged that so much was left unanswered.

Like, what was in that sugarbowl that was so important?

What happened to those kids the Baudelaires meet halfway through? My memory is hazy but didn't they end up on a hot air balloon? What was the giant question mark thing they see on the radar in the underwater one (Grim Grotto I think).

I love a mystery and part of the magic is never revealing everything but god damn I was expecting something to happen.

Make all of the kids CGI instead of just one, lol.

I read an interview with Handler somewhere where he talks about what he proposed to do to get around the actors aging out of their roles. He suggested that the second movie start by showing the three child actors from the first movie all destitute and living on the streets, and say in a voiceover that the Baudelaires' story is so cursed, even the actors were affected by it. Then they'd start the story with new actors in the roles.

The studio hated the idea, but I love it. It totally fits the tone of the series.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I read the first two book, might have read the third one but I can't remember, and I just stopped reading it.

I actually can't remember why I stopped reading it though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I read them all and I remember being enraged that so much was left unanswered.

Like, what was in that sugarbowl that was so important?

What happened to those kids the Baudelaires meet halfway through? My memory is hazy but didn't they end up on a hot air balloon? What was the giant question mark thing they see on the radar in the underwater one (Grim Grotto I think).

I love a mystery and part of the magic is never revealing everything but god damn I was expecting something to happen.

Yeah, this is how I felt. I loved this series all the way 'til the end, then I felt massively cheated at the total lack of resolution. Genuinely felt like the author ran out of ideas and just went "meh, call it a day there".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom