• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the whole series twice and The End is beautiful. Loved it so much. Never cared much about mysterious objects just the character arcs, and it was wonderful seeing the Baudelaires grow up.

Tuck

I hated the complete lack of an ending. Felt like all the plot threads he wove throughout 13 books went nowhere and were left unresolved. The books themselves were alright. I finished each of them in an afternoon. Some things that happened were completely lacking in logic but I think the absurdity of it was part of the point.

_Zento

Loved these books as a kid. I remember my dad getting me these instead of Harry Potter.

Unfortunately (heh) I never did finish the whole series - maybe I should go back to it. Are there audio books available?

Steamlord

The lack of a proper resolution in The End was pretty much the only way to end such a wonderfully absurdist series. It's clearly very much influenced by writers like Pynchon, particularly The Crying of Lot 49. Life is absurd and there aren't always easy answers. How unfortunate.

KDC720

What a great series, loved reading them when I was younger, and I was so pumped to go see the movie but I remember being kinda mad they changed some stuff.

I still have all the books lying around somehwere, might reread them one of these days.

The series is called "A Series of Unfortunate Events". That's clue number one that there will be no hard resolution. Time and time again the Baudelaires think they are about to discover something only for it to be revealed there is far more going on than they thought. People come and go in every book. So, I'm not sure why anyone expected there to be a resolution to things like the sugar bowl when every other mystery led to more mysteries.

But what you also saw happen in every book was the Baudelaires become smarter and tougher. Eventually they have to mostly take care of themselves. They do find friends and people they can trust, which is important, but none of that ever lasts. So, they all developed skills necessary to get through life. By the end the biggest threat is gone, but that doesn't mean things are suddenly easy. Life still goes on. They are much better equipped to handle it. And I think one of the big lessons they learned was not everything that happened along the way (i.e. the mysteries) mattered. There's so much in life you can't do anything about. It's unfortunate, but you have to deal with what life gives you.

Steamlord

The series is called "A Series of Unfortunate Events". That's clue number one that there will be no hard resolution. Time and time again the Baudelaires think they are about to discover something only for it to be revealed there is far more going on than they thought. People come and go in every book. So, I'm not sure why anyone expected there to be a resolution to things like the sugar bowl when every other mystery led to more mysteries.

But what you also saw happen in every book was the Baudelaires become smarter and tougher. Eventually they have to mostly take care of themselves. They do find friends and people they can trust, which is important, but none of that ever lasts. So, they all developed skills necessary to get through life. By the end the biggest threat is gone, but that doesn't mean things are suddenly easy. Life still goes on. They are much better equipped to handle it. And I think one of the big lessons they learned was not everything that happened along the way (i.e. the mysteries) mattered. There's so much in life you can't do anything about. It's unfortunate, but you have to deal with what life gives you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hollycat

I loved the series as a whole, but the last book left a bad taste in my mouth. They literally answered none of the questions and left everything open.

What the hell was the sugar bowl?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And there it is.

Shucks. But it is still coming, right? This isn't a huge loss. We just have to wait even longer. Maybe I should actually read the books... wait, how many are there? (I just binge read all 7 Harry Potter books. I'm sure I could handle these.)

I loved the series as a whole, but the last book left a bad taste in my mouth. They literally answered none of the questions and left everything open.

What the hell was the sugar bowl?
That was the point.

The sugar bowl allegedly
had a recording device inside that held incriminating evidence against Count Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom