• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 to reveal new PS4 game at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexNovis

Banned
Wohoo!!!!! Yes! I don't even care what it is you are making just give me a game Level 5. Ill buy it. I'll buy copies for my friends just give me a game!!!! Best news I've heard all damn year

wapplew

omg yessss

Can you imagine another Ghibli x L5 project with something more mature like Princess Mononoke...

tumblr_m9boq3A2i21qgipo0o2_500.gif

on PS4.....I need it.

Open world hand drawn forest, hunt some talking cursed boar with wolf raised wild Waifu. Antelope raiding too.
No game can top that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't know about the most universally loved, but as far as publishers of JRPGs that are held in high regards, I've never really run across much hate for Working Designs from US based JRPG fans.

Back in the day they'd get a lot of grief for altering the gameplay in some of their games (Lunar 2 Sega CD saving system, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon difficulty, Silhouette Mirage changing the damage ratios on enemies)... and of course for their pop-culture laden translations, and finally their frequent delays.

omg yessss

Can you imagine another Ghibli x L5 project with something more mature like Princess Mononoke...

on PS4.....I need it.

Ever since I first saw Mononoke (my first ever Ghibli film), I dreamed of something similar in RPGs... that and Naucissa are my 2 favorite animated movies ever.

L5, your technical ability is amazing. But please, L5, get better writers and battle system developers.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The Ghibli thing was just a contractual one time thing guys! Stop trying to make that Level 5's schtick. They had way better games than Ni no Kuni, like...

Haven't played Dark Cloud, but looking at it, I don't know why I haven't played it lol. It'd be great to see it on the PS4.

Of course, Ni No Kuni 2 would be the dream.

Dark Cloud 2(Dark Chronicle in non US areas), is by far the best game they have ever made bar none. If you ever get an opportunity to pick it up, do so.

The original Dark game hasn't aged well at all and is very clunky, luckily Dark Cloud 2 has nothing to do with Dark Cloud, so you don't need to play 1 to get it.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Dark Cloud 3 is obviously the best case scenario here but I'll take a new Rogue Galaxy or Ni No Kuni game.

A new IP would have the chance to get me as excited as DC3 if I liked the idea behind it.

Zen Mu

Not like it will take a ton to be better than WKC (and I enjoyed those games). I'm hoping for a new IP, maybe something with a straight up sci fi slant.

omg yessss

on PS4.....I need it.

This! The biggest let down for me about Ni No Kuni was the story specifically because it was so immature, started off well but went a bit wonky, loved the game though.

If anyone watched the opening scene and didn't want to play a game that looked like that they are mental.

tumblr_inline_n2bavhacEc1qbokyl.gif

iMerc

Please let this be the beginning of a massive JRPG revival.

Pleaaaaaase.

jrpg never went away… unless you're one of those 'handhelds don't count because reasons' gamers.

it is nice to see more jrpg developers announcing games for home consoles, though at the same time i hope they're keeping their sales expectations realistic.

i'm sorry but the ps4 userbase is nowhere near big enough to support any large scale, HD budget jrps NOT named final fantasy or DQ.
and i mention the ps4 only, because imo it is the only viable home console in japan.
the wiiU is great if nintendo is paying for your project, as you run no risk of monetary losses.
otherwise, ps4 is your best bet… and it's a great bet, to boot. fantastic console, otherwise.
I do hope these console jrpgs sell great out the gate. a 'slow-burn' sales trajectory, while decent, won't prove enough of a motivation to get developers to really focus on jrpg's on home consoles though, i fear. hoping for the best though.

even the market for mid-budget jrpgs like lunar, grandia, BoF on home consoles are non-existent now, unfortunately. we can thank AAA budget, western trend-following japanese publishers & developers for allowing this to happen.
i feel like they were blind-sided by the "success explosion" of western dudebro games, started salivating, and lost sight of what made their own games great, to begin with.
and while 3rd party japanese developers got caught with their pants down, the entire portable market just went up to them and said "yep, we'll take those markets off your hands, thankyouverymuch!"
gone are the days of the ps2 where these games could find success & profitability.

no, this market is on handhelds now. and imo the main reason for this, is the market has not yet been infested by the 'triple a' business model, or the 'chasing hollywood' crowd.
and even though the market is going through it's 'contracting' phase, i sincerely hope that it's market leaders like nintendo & sony keep careful control of what starts 'trending' in the traditional portable gaming sphere, and shoot down any signs of potential 'chasing hollywood' trends in the future.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How would you guys feel if it's Chrono Break developed by Level 5?

To make it more specific:
Story and Gameplay = Level 5
Graphics = Studio Ghibli

I wouldn't mind seeing True Fantasy Live Online. Seemed really cool at the time.

This is kind of a joke with a friend of mine... I was SO excited for that damn game, then it got cancelled. You don't know what kind of heartbreak you're dealing with, man. If it happened, though, I'd be all over it.
Actually this thread is just full of people waiting to be disappointed.

With how bad Ni No Kuni and WKC ended up, I don't have much faith that Level 5 can actually put out a quality product.

I really don't understand why people say NNK is bad. Sure, it's not a perfect game, but it's beautiful. I feel like most people who were hyped for that game, or even BOUGHT it, knew what they were in for. Never played WKC so I can't speak for it, but it got pretty average scores, right? The second one was apparently terrible, though lol.

However, that doesn't account for the many amazing games they've released. Dark Cloud 1/2? Amazing. Rogue Galaxy? Name a better sci-fi JRPG. Dragon Quest VIII is considered by many to be the best in the series, and DQ IX was equally adored. Fantasy Life for 3DS is a pretty awesome game, as well. Haven't played Yokai Watch but apparently it's like the second coming of Pokemon in Japan, right?

Level-5 definitely has the talent to release more great games.

Jomjom

Banned
I wish they would revisit WKC and make a WKC3 that realizes all of the potential we saw when the original was revealed.

When your stated goal is to be better than White Knight Chronicles you are setting the bar pretty damn low for yourself. Don't see a reason to get hyped
unless its Dark Cloud 3

How would you guys feel if it's Chrono Break developed by Level 5?

To make it more specific:
Story and Gameplay = Level 5
Graphics = Studio Ghibli

I honestly think L5´s biggest weakness is the gameplay.

The presentation is always absolutely top notch (art direction + sound ) but then you have Ni no Kuni´s wet sponge of a battlesystem with some poor man´sPokemon thrown in.

The stories are good enough for me too. Just the gameplay needs to be better.

NNK died standing as a result of it's awful battle system.

Yup. An otherwise gorgeous game with a fun story and fantastic music was dragged down by the frequent and shitty combat orchestrated by some of the worst AI I've seen in a party-based and action-heavy combat system.

If they did something about that, and the grindy as fuck monster recruitment, I'd be down for a NNK2.

As long as it's nothing like WKC. Empty games due to trying to merge the single and multiplayer.

Ni No Kuni, Rogue Galaxy types would do me fine.

Begaria

NNK died standing as a result of it's awful battle system.

The battle system isn't awful per se. It actually has a pretty cool mix of real time with pause, stamina management, and direct control. People I've discussed the battle system with frequently had no idea that you could actually freeze the combat with the R1 or R2 buttons (I forget which) at any time to survey the battle and choose targets alleviating targeting issues. What does bring it down is the terrible party AI - which could be bypassed if you micromanaged everything or over leveled (both of which I did) - and full screen attacks resetting all other attacks which pissed me off more over the bad AI.

A sequel could easily rectify these problems, as long as Level 5 paid attention to feedback. They did it for Dark Cloud 2 after Dark Cloud 1's problems and made an even better game as a result.

OmegaDL50

The battle system isn't awful per se. It actually has a pretty cool mix of real time with pause, stamina management, and direct control. People I've discussed the battle system with frequently had no idea that you could actually freeze the combat with the R1 or R2 buttons (I forget which) at any time to survey the battle and choose targets alleviating targeting issues. What does bring it down is the terrible party AI - which could be bypassed if you micromanaged everything or over leveled (both of which I did) - and full screen attacks resetting all other attacks which pissed me off more over the bad AI.

A sequel could easily rectify these problems, as long as Level 5 paid attention to feedback. They did it for Dark Cloud 2 after Dark Cloud 1's problems and made an even better game as a result.

It was an enjoyable game overall but I do have three minor issues.

The first issue is in regards to gameplay design. It has to do with Boss Super attacks that are essentially are a cutscene and are NOT real time.

If you do an action such as using an item or guard which executes near instantly. The action completely comes to a halt for the enemy to do their big attack. Worse still I have at times issued a command for my characters to use a healing item and said cutscene completely overrides it and often I'm left with a dead character and the command I issued does not carry out. For a real time combat system these forced stops to the action are completely jarring and shouldn't happen ever.

Secondly, Drippy's constant interruptions in major battles bug me too. Yes, I see the boss is glowing and doing a big attack!, Yes I don't need to be warned to defend for the umpteenth time! Why are you still TELLING ME THIS at the End Game where tutorials should no longer matter! Didn't we go over this before! Let me do my job and stop getting in the away!

My last issue has to mostly do with the final portion of the game
After you beat Shadar and Oliver has made peace with his Mom, to the point he matures mentally to be able to carry on his own without her. The game could have properly ended at that point. The game could have ended after saying farewell to everyone and Oliver casts Gateway to go back to his own world.

Despite the games subtitle, a huge majority of the game has almost nothing to do with the White Witch. In fact I'd say they could have saved all of the White Witch stuff for a sequel and made the entire first game about Shadar. Outside of a few meetings with the Council you don't ever get into the White Witch portion that lasts only for the last two hours of a 40 hour game.

Yes it feels tacked on. In fact the last cutscenes with the flashbacks felt like Xenogears second disk with Pea's flower cutscenes shoving all of this info at me just telling me everything through small cutscenes just to fight the big bad. I mean to say the cutscenes themselves seem to have less work in them using still portraits compared to the others in the game with the characters having motion or animation.

Other then that, I enjoyed Ni no Kuni a great deal, I also liked the crafting systems Level 5 implements into their games (such as the Alchemy Pot in DQVIII and IX, Froggy in Rogue Galaxy, and the equipment crafting systems in Dark Cloud 2 and White Knight Chronicles).

I believe only tri-Ace with it's item creation system in Star Ocean and Gun customization in Resonance of Fate being comparable.

Mariip

In fact I'd say they could have saved all of the White Witch stuff for a sequel and made the entire first game about Shadar.
They did the first game about shadar, it was the DS game Ni No Kuni ps3 came from that never got an english release =X

I also didn't like that, but seeing it as a remake, it was nice that they got to add 20+ hours of story
and Marcassin/lars as an playable character
they didn't really need to, but they did, it's way better than some companies do nowadays...

Conan-san

The Game actively refused to recognise defend commands.

It was broken on a fundamental level.

It died on it's feet.

some hot news guys..Maybe someone wants to make an extra thread for it.
Hideo Baba appeared at a FF14 Livestream.

Today he appeared during the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn letter from the Producer Live to promote the next Yokai Watch 2 version, Shinuchi. He even showcased some picture of Jibanyan wearing the newly introduced Ironworks gear from Square Enix’s MMORPG, as you can see below.

Source is Dshockers

So is Level 5 developing the console Version of Dragon Quest XI? And another studio the 3DS Version...

A level 5 DQ would be awesome as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom