• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 to reveal new PS4 game at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_mvwqssNvaf1rs11vm.gif

Fuck, I guess my parody trolling in some threads has gotten me into "boy who cried wolf" territory where no-one will take anything I say seriously anymore. :( But I only have myself to blame there, I guess.

But in this particular case, I am being serious. I have a long history of hating on Rogue Galaxyy on GAF:

Rogue Galaxy. I don't understand how this game has a following. Such a horrible, horrible game.

Oh and I didn't think Phantasy Star IV was anything special. II had magnificent, huge dungeons, and III had a battle system that didn't waste your time. I'm not really sure what, if anything, IV offered.

Rogue Galaxy. Such an unbalanced and generally unfun game.

• Shallow combat system where you can potion spam yourself out of any situation
  • Far too long dungeons with bland and repetitive level design
  • Atrocious storyline
I learned my lesson though. I am never touching a Level 5 RPG again.

This thread is crazy.

Obviously Cerny wouldn't be doing this. You don't think being the lead architect of PS4 and director of Knack is more than enough for one man already? And besides, he doesn't have any experience in making RPGs, to my knowledge. The only "evidence" in support of the theory is that he mentioned Final Fantasy VII. Really?

And replies are crazy too. People requesting sequels to stuff like Rogue Galaxy and Legend of Dragoon? Yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I think it would be much smarter to invest their money into a game that is not a sequel to some of the shittiest games ever made, but hey that's just me.

Anyway, I'm excited for an RPG from SCEJ. I just hope it turns out better than most of their previous attempts at internal development of RPGs (Demon's Souls excluded obviously).

I hope for a new IP personally (as well as a Demon's Souls successor developed by FROM).

The story and characters were terribad. The plot was one of the worst I have ever had the displeasure of playing. But that's alright. I can tolerate a bad story if the gameplay is good. Unfortunately, the terribleness of the story pales in comparison to that of the gameplay. The gameplay was atrocious.

The level design was really bland. The endless dungeons just when on and on, with almost no change in scenery. They could have mixed it up throwing in some platforming or whatnot, but nooooooo. I was very surprised to learn that the levels were not randomly generated.

The battle system was completely unbalanced. Once you could afford to fill up your inventory, it was impossible to die as the game just paused when you entered the inventory. You could beat all bosses by just hitting attack attack attack and then enter the inventory to heal up fully with no penalty and then go back to attack attack attack again. The inventory was sufficiently large that you wouldn't even get close to running out of items.

There was too little enemy variety in the endless dungeons. You got bored really quickly. You know something is wrong when you just want to use the nuke attacks (Desert Wind and the like) that almost instantly kills all enemies in every battle just so you don't have to go through another one of the boring battles. This also ties into my previous point of unbalanced battle system. These nukes were far too powerful for their MP cost. But if they weren't, I probably wouldn't have been able to get through the game, so maybe this was for the best.

There were some good ideas that just failed due to flawed execution. The insectron stuff would have been pretty rad if it weren't such a pain to level your insects to at least decent strength and the weapon crafting could have been good if it wasn't such a grind.

I liked the factory minigame, though. And the graphics were nice for the time

Fortunately, Ni No Kuni looks a lot better. The story actually sounds alright (shocker for a Level5 game), the world and level design look quite charming, the battle system looks fun (although so did Rouge Galaxy's, at a glance) and the platforming stuff intriguing.

Hugstable

Banned
Please.... NOT AGAIN a 5 year old main character who tries to save the world.
What kind of role-playing is that? Don't want to be a little boy.
Give me something epic.

Ugh.....

He's not 5 years old, and with you saying that, I don't think you would enjoy the JRPG genre that much, because alot of it is teens most of the time.

orochi91

Can you imagine another Ghibli x L5 project with something more mature like Princess Mononoke...

tumblr_m9boq3A2i21qgipo0o2_500.gif

Since the console gaming demographics are getting older, Sony should consider putting out more mature titles like this.

It would sell well, and cater heavily towards to my tastes.

No more kids saving the world in my JRPGs.

That shit isn't remotely enjoyable anymore.

Please.... NOT AGAIN a 5 year old main character who tries to save the world.
What kind of role-playing is that? Don't want to be a little boy.
Give me something epic.

Ugh.....

Agreed.

ikariX

Banned
I really enjoyed White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2. They were pretty epic. Looking forward to Level-5's new game.

Fuck, I guess my parody trolling in some threads has gotten me into "boy who cried wolf" territory where no-one will take anything I say seriously anymore. :( But I only have myself to blame there, I guess.

But in this particular case, I am being serious. I have a long history of hating on Rogue Galaxyy on GAF:
You are right about Rogue Galaxy. Although I don't find it all that surprising. I've noticed action rpgs tendto get a pass on so many areas

most of the time Level-5 games include a feature that's really popular, or at least from what square does. since they are putting out some dragon heroes games and mmo i'm sure they'll either make another WKC or a new IP that includes elements from each game.

Elixist

Dark Cloud 3 pls D: I love Dark Cloud 2 so much, just a chill action rpg with a little world building, some photo taking and a great art style.

La Poisse

Neo Member
I absolutely hated White Knight Chronicles. I still regret that purchase to this day. I'm pretty sure it's the game I've been the most hyped AND the most let down by, ever.

I've loved most of Level-5's games, but them mentioning WKC worries me quite a bit. I hope it's nothing in the same vein. Stick to single-player-geared experiences, please !

HyperOne

Banned
More JRPG's is NEVER a bad thing. 2015 will hopefully make me forget how garbage 2014 was for Console gaming.

I only pray it has nothing to do with Studio Ghibli, whole reason I bypassed Ni No Kuni.

chadboban

Dammit, why tease something that's so freaking far away? Can't wait to see it but still, couldn't they at least of waited until closer to e3 to announce this.

SkylineRKR

I didn't really hate WKC2. Its traveling was WKC1 in reverse which was horrible if you just beat WKC1 but I liked the MMO style dungeon raids. And the garden building.

Great OST too.

Some Nobody

You must be the only person who does not like Ghibli :p

Incorrect. I've got no love for Ghibli. Their art's always bugged me.

The return of the JRPG- it's real. Everything is real. It's ALL HAPPENING.

Y'know, people mess with you about your accuracy a lot, but you really had this year's E3 pegged. Aside from Nintendo, it was boring as heck. Now next year's E3 is sounding more awesome by the month.

Exentryk

Haven't played Dark Cloud, but looking at it, I don't know why I haven't played it lol. It'd be great to see it on the PS4.

Of course, Ni No Kuni 2 would be the dream.

Dice//

Banned
Since the console gaming demographics are getting older, Sony should consider putting out more mature titles like this.

It would sell well, and cater heavily towards to my tastes.

No more kids saving the world in my JRPGs.

That shit isn't remotely enjoyable anymore.

Agreed.

I hate being the "Captain Hook" to the "youthful spirit" of children in gaming (fuck that was awkward to write), but THIS.

I'm so sick of little kid stories.
I hated that Ni no Kuni took this to an 11.
USE THE CONTROL STICK TO MOVE.
NOW HERE'S A BIG BATTLE SYSTEM NOW THAT RUNS LIKE IS SWEET AND SLUGGISH LIKE MOLASSES.

I also kinda lost interest in their boring blend of wannabe Ghibli-meets-Disney in gaming form; where it's super friendly, but hardly risky or intersting.

wmlk

I hated that Ni no Kuni took this to an 11.
USE THE CONTROL STICK TO MOVE.
NOW HERE'S A BIG BATTLE SYSTEM NOW THAT RUNS LIKE IS SWEET AND SLUGGISH LIKE MOLASSES.

That's Level-5 in general, not sure what you're getting at.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DARK CLOUD 3!!! :D OH MY GAWD ;_;

Or atleast Dark Cloud 2 spiritual successor!? And dont bring up Rogue galaxy to me :mad:

Sandfox

I'm expecting a new IP. I really doubt they're working with Ghibli again and I don't see any of their older franchises returning.

Dice//

Banned
DARK CLOUD 3!!! :D OH MY GAWD ;_;

Or atleast Dark Cloud 2 spiritual successor!? And dont bring up Rogue galaxy to me :mad:

Honestly I feel that game fits their mould right now more than ever. It's creative, fun, cartoony, and gives players some freedom

klee123

White Knight Chronicles 3 PLEASE!

Then for the time being, release a HD release of White Knight 2 online for PS4!

Once WKC3 gets released, we can then transfer our characters from WKC2.

HyperOne

Banned
More JRPG's is NEVER a bad thing. 2015 will hopefully make me forget how garbage 2014 was for Console gaming.

I only pray it has nothing to do with Studio Ghibli, whole reason I bypassed Ni No Kuni.

You must be the only person who does not like Ghibli :p

You know, I feel that way sometimes. Something about their art style annoys me to absolutely no end. I simply cannot stand it.

I have taken so much flak for this opinion over the years that it just rolls off me at this point.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
omg yessss

Can you imagine another Ghibli x L5 project with something more mature like Princess Mononoke...

on PS4.....I need it.

Actual question: Isn't Ghibli kind of dead now that they've said they're not doing any more feature films?

crinale

This is no different than last gen.
All of those publishers were on board PS3, had lots of games.
Only difference was many of them already launched games in its 1st/2nd year, instead of waiting to announce them. Most if them were exclusives too (as in, not on PS2).

I don't understand where people are getting this narrative that Japanese publishers are somehow "back" when last gen was the same.
Basically, if this is them being "back", they were never gone.

Yeah now I'd agree Japanese third parties stance toward PS4 would be quite similar to that of PS3, but if you have said the same thing a few months ago then many ppl would have disagreed with you IMHO.

TaiKH92

Banned
I'd love Ni no Kuni 2 or a new IP and Dark cloud 3 only if they make the dungeons less..tedious (not as repetitive)

HeelPower

omg yessss

on PS4.....I need it.

This is absolutely my dream game right now.

I cannot think of a better thing that can happen....
it's gonna be Ni No Kuni "remastered", and you're gonna like it.

Ni No Kuni made me cry while playing.

So yeah I'd love it.

Game of the generation probably.Its the best "traditional" JRPG I played last gen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope the gameplay is not boring and sloggy like most of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom