• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 to reveal new PS4 game at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

Studio Ghibli is going through major changes and a reflective period.

I don't think Ni no Kuni is as surefire as everyone's saying, at least not with Ghibli on board.

BadWolf

How much did Studio Ghibili help with production of NNK?

Haven't they stopped all production after Miyazaki retired?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This could be the game to make me consider buying a PS4.

If it's not Ni No Kuni, please just be another collaboration with Studio Ghibli!

Level-5 pls

duckroll

How much did Studio Ghibili help with production of NNK?

Haven't they stopped all production after Miyazaki retired?

No they're just not making a new movie at this time. They're taking a break before deciding what to do next production-wise. That doesn't mean their animators, artists, and designers aren't available to continue working on collaborations and other projects.

So what are our bets?

1. New IP
2. Dragon Quest Mainline Entry or
3. Ni No Kuni 2
Highly unlikely that it is a new IP. It isn't easy to launch a new JRPG IP.

Dragon Quest tease will probably come officially from Square not Level 5. It isn't popular enough WW for a reveal at E3.

All my bets are on Ni No Kuni 2. Or if they want to cash on the success of Youkai Watch, it could be the PS4 entry of that IP.

dramatis

"More epic than White Knight Chronicles"

Hino you're an amazing businessman but please, please stop trying to write stories and settings and design games, you're no good at them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It would be funny if Sony stole Youkai Watch from Nintendo after they stole Monster Hunter from Sony.

Monster Hunter was a case of handheld to handheld whereas this would be handheld to console meaning Youkai Watch 3DS could still exist along side the PS4 version.

Ni No Kuni 2?

Yes please. Give me an older Oliver.

Level 5 has the ability to disappoint or excite. Fingers crossed for something spectacular. Youkai Watch can fuck off.

EDIT: I confused E3 with the Playstation Experience event. God dammnit, I can't wait until E3 for a reveal = /.

Begaria

Firstly, e3, fuck.

Secondly, why already put your brand new ip nnk on the back burner. The thing got barely advertised, it was a new ip, was a jrpg that looked like it was for kids, and was called ni no kuni for fuck sakes, and still sold very well.

They have a great new ip, they should be doing lots with that.

I'm obviously jumping the gun because I have no idea what it is, but I really hope it's nnk2.

Here's the crazy thing: I've seen a lot of hate on Level 5 here on NeoGaf because Level 5 has this reputation for creating a series and then milking it to hell and back. Series like Layton, Inazuma 11, and possibly even Youkai Watch have seen some Level 5 bashing because they made so many of those games in a short period of time because they were successful. So it's refreshing to see some calls for sequels to their popular console games.

Also, as much as I'd love a NNK2 (like really, really love it), sadly with Studio Ghibli's current situation I doubt they'd get on board. I'm not sure if NNK2 would be the same without that Studio Ghibli touch in visuals since the entire world is based on Studio Ghibli artwork.

BadWolf

No they're just not making a new movie at this time. They're taking a break before deciding what to do next production-wise. That doesn't mean their animators, artists, and designers aren't available to continue working on collaborations and other projects.

Ah, I see.

L~A

Level-5 : We put Youkai Watch on the 3DS, because it was the platform that made the most sense for the audience we're targetting.

ITT: OMG Youkai Watch PS4, Sony stole YW from Nintendo!!

Ha ha.

On a more serious note, I bet this is related to the big scale project they are/were hiring a while ago.

Elios83

Excellent news, would have loved an announcement during PSExp but probably they're not ready.
I hope for a new collaboration with Ghibli, not necessarily for a Ni No Kuni sequel but for something a bit more mature like Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why would anyone want Ni No Kuni 2?! I love the game but it had an ending. Give me a new game with a brand new story and world that's ripe with adventure and characters. Fresh IP, as we say.

wmlk

Haven't they said that they're going to look at things internally and take a break before proceeding with their future? They're likely to become an art vendor, but I don't think it's happening so soon.

Mecha

More epic than WKC and it being at E3 means no Youkai Watch for PS4. They wouldn't hype up a kids game nobody cares about in the west like this.

Oh thank God.

I was worried between the unbelievable success of Youkai Watch and the relatively mild sales of WKC that Level-5 were going to pretty much pack in home console development this gen.

Looking forward to hearing more about this. Though I'm slightly worried that an E3 reveal = a western focused game. Because those haven't worked out so well in the past.

Hino you're an amazing businessman but please, please stop trying to write stories and settings and design games, you're no good at them.

I'd argue that Hino's not bad with settings. WKC, Gundam Age, NnK, Layton, Yokai Watch, etc were all games with well-crafted universes/overviews and a visual identity that makes those games recognisably their own.

It's the extra mile that Hino's hit-or-miss.

duckroll

Why would anyone want Ni No Kuni 2?! I love the game but it had an ending. Give me a new game with a brand new story and world that's ripe with adventure and characters. Fresh IP, as we say.

Sometimes sequels are just a number to seem familiar to an existing audience. It doesn't mean it can't be a new game with a brand new story and world.

Haven't they said that they're going to look at things internally and take a break before proceeding with their future? They're likely to become an art vendor, but I don't think it's happening so soon.

That's with regards to new productions from Ghibli. They still have people working right now doing contract work for animation and helping out on designs and layouts for Goro Miyazaki's CG TV series which is airing now. :p

I don't know if my wife could deal with a dark Chronicles/cloud 3 announcement watching her play through 2 was painful... That fucking monotonous music is the stuff of nightmares.

Begaria

Except he's written and designed pretty much everything at Level 5 which has produced some amazingly good and popular titles. He wrote and designed Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Ni no Kuni (written by him, not directed or designed by him), all of which scored critically well, and sold well on consoles. He certainly had his missteps with WKC 1/2, but I partially blame Sony Japan's incompetence during the PS3 era for those moreso than Level 5. He has this ability to write charming characters and dialogue - Professor Layton wouldn't be the same series if it didn't have that charm factor.

I will agree that he should delegate some of that work to others in the company. It's good to mix it up now and again.

DizzyCrow

Level-5 : We put Youkai Watch on the 3DS, because it was the platform that made the most sense for the audience we're targetting.

ITT: OMG Youkai Watch PS4, Sony stole YW from Nintendo!!

Ha ha.

On a more serious note, I bet this is related to the big scale project they are/were hiring a while ago.

Kiddie games are only kiddie on Nintendo consoles.

Rad-

Not getting my hopes up because Level 5 console RPGs are pretty average imo but I can't complain either because there is a serious lack of home console RPGs atm.

Dice//

Banned
Level-5 hasn't hit my gaming sweet spot for anything other than Layton lately...
I want to love them, but I do find the company has these AMAZING production values and only average games.

Looking forward to the reveal anyways.

So what are our bets?

1. New IP
2. Dragon Quest Mainline Entry or
3. Ni No Kuni 2

4.Wonderflick: Released Console Edition

1377520146-wonder-flick.jpg

WF-Announce-Init.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXYfcbHMPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom