• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 to reveal new PS4 game at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begaria

Why would anyone want Ni No Kuni 2?! I love the game but it had an ending. Give me a new game with a brand new story and world that's ripe with adventure and characters. Fresh IP, as we say.

Sometimes sequels are just a number to seem familiar to an existing audience. It doesn't mean it can't be a new game with a brand new story and world.

Case in point: Dark Cloud 2 to Dark Cloud 1. Brand new characters and story, even though there nods to Dark Cloud 1.

http://kotetsu.game-waza.net/Entry/5021/
http://gamestalk.net/levelfive/

According to Hino in a live-stream.

Apparently he wants to create something more epic than White Knight Chronicles. He plans to make a formal announcement at E3 2015.

Senza%2520titolo.jpg

Yes! Excellent news!

Ni No Kuni 2?

Yes please, would love to see them do one eventually (also Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy).

No they're just not making a new movie at this time. They're taking a break before deciding what to do next production-wise. That doesn't mean their animators, artists, and designers aren't available to continue working on collaborations and other projects.

Yeah, I'm watching Ronja so I'd imagine some of them are working on the co-production of that with Goro since Katsuya Kondo is on it too. Atleast looking at the background art it looks like it since the backgrounds look like pure Ghibli. :)

Kuraudo

Banned
Ni No Kuni 2 is probably the only way we'll get any fresh Ghibli animation for a while, so hopefully that or some kind of spiritual successor.

wmlk

That's with regards to new productions from Ghibli. They still have people working right now doing contract work for animation and helping out on designs and layouts for Goro Miyazaki's CG TV series which is airing now. :p

Huh, I could have sworn it was for both at the present, with production being a lower priority in the future. Good to hear.

thuway

Why would anyone want Ni No Kuni 2?! I love the game but it had an ending. Give me a new game with a brand new story and world that's ripe with adventure and characters. Fresh IP, as we say.

Give me a spiritual successor. Give me that engine. Give me that incredible soundtrack. Give me DRIPPY.

Nimby

Banned
Ushiro, back from the dead. That's what I want.

It's probably going to be Yokai Watch or Wonder Flick right?

Probably a new IP similar to their typical PS exclusive - action JRPG with base/town building mechanics. If it's not new, Dark Cloud is the most likely.

They're not ready to show it off yet, and Sony wants them to have a bigger presence.

For a mid-size production house like Level 5, that's huge.
None of JRPGs beside FF or KH announced at E3 conference. If this game gets a special treatment, this will be huge

Here's to hoping they partnered up with someone to do the design, as Level 5's original RPGs on home consoles are usually not ones I enjoy. Poor game design, weak pacing, and bland writing is par for the course. They perform a lot better as being the workforce of another company. They are very skilled technically and look like they can hit deadlines.

wmlk

Ushiro, back from the dead. That's what I want.

It's probably going to be Yokai Watch or Wonder Flick right?

Larger than White Knight Chronicles...

I think we can rule out Wonder Flick. That game has had some serious development issues on PS4 that people don't know.

None of JRPGs beside FF or KH announced at E3 conference. If this game gets a special treatment, this will be huge

Yeah, and that's why I'm saying it's kind of a big deal for Level 5.

They're definitely no slouches, even if they have mechanically-flawed games. Maybe they're open to taking big risks with YW bringing in cash for them.

Regardless, they've shown that they have pretty high production values for all of their games so there's good reason to be excited.

Harmen

Japan is gearing up to make up for the previous gen, I like it.

I hope MGSV and FFXV will deliver, for starters!

Shengar

Except he's written and designed pretty much everything at Level 5 which has produced some amazingly good and popular titles. He wrote and designed Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Ni no Kuni (written by him, not directed or designed by him), all of which scored critically well, and sold well on consoles. He certainly had his missteps with WKC 1/2, but I partially blame Sony Japan's incompetence during the PS3 era for those moreso than Level 5. He has this ability to write charming characters and dialogue - Professor Layton wouldn't be the same series if it didn't have that charm factor.

I will agree that he should delegate some of that work to others in the company. It's good to mix it up now and again.

That's really explain the amazing and wonderful setting and premise, but horrible story and gameplay execution of Ni No Kuni.

duckroll

Wonder Flick is really a huge joke. Seems like after all the huge hype when they were announcing it as their next BIG thing and how smartphones are the future, they just fell flat on their faces.

wmlk

Also, it's not that Japan is back all of a sudden.

We saw this last generation, too. The difference was that a lot of good games were on XBOX 360, a platform that's dead to Japanese game fans.

The opposite is true this time around.

Wonder Flick is really a huge joke. Seems like after all the huge hype when they were announcing it as their next BIG thing and how smartphones are the future, they just fell flat on their faces.
What happened with the game though? Was it even released like on the dozens of mentioned platforms?

If it's Ni No Kuni 2 then I fully expect them to announce Ni No Kuni Remastered at the Playstation event.
I will buy both :D

And I thought Square was the only JRPG company GAF hated. Wow...

Anyway, really looking forward to this. SE's new JRPG, Level 5 new JRPG, and everything on consoles... I wish nothing more than great success to all these new JRPGs.

Just give a little teaser at PSX, I can't wait till E3 >.>

Amir0x

Banned
please I want Dark Cloud 3. I would sacrifice a leg for it :(

I love Ni No Kuni, but I want DC3.

Kazama Sogetsu said:
Seriously, don't waste Ghibli's time and talent again. Just don't.

Don't worry Ghibli's talent won't be doing anything for a long time, even though Ni No Kuni was rad and you should feel bad.

Shengar

That awkward moment when their next big thing comes from the 3DS.
what the f****??

Introducing the All-out command, especially defend after you fight the genie shows how badly the gameplay execution really is. The boss try to use arena-wide attack with long wind up? Just defend and see your ally AI got wiped out as they futilely strike the boss. The story doesn't really do well either despite having such a great premise of joyous adventure fill wonderful discovery, exotic places, and interesting, weird persons, but instead took the cliched choosen one route.

It's cool man, not everyone has a heart and soul.

Yeah, I lost my heart after frustatingly tried to defeat the genie boss without anyone knocked out in battle, and my own soul can't tolerate any story with choosen one premise no more.

duckroll

What happened with the game though? Was it even released like on the dozens of mentioned platforms?

They had a soft launch on mobile. There were a lot of problems and complaints. Eventually I think they managed to iron out a lot of the bugs and relaunched it. That's about the last I heard about it. It was never released on any of the other platforms, I don't think they ever go on with that "pirate island" collaboration with Shonen Jump which they were teasing too.

In fact, out of the 3 games they announced for smartphones initially, Wonder Flick is the only one running right now. The pervy slot battle game was discontinued due to poor performance. And the other high profile Majin Station game never came out. In fact they never showed it again. We've never seen any actual game screenshots or footage. Just dead. They paid Khara a bunch of money to make a really nice CG animated trailer though. :p

Cole Slaw

Banned
Level 5's first mistake is to use White Knight Chronicles as some kind of benchmark. It's like some dystopian parallel universe in which Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy never existed.

Level 5's first mistake is to use White Knight Chronicles as some kind of benchmark. It's like some dystopian parallel universe in which Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy never existed.

The benchmark was used because it was a WKC live-stream.

Also, Dark Cloud was never an 'epic-scale' franchise.

wmlk

If he mentioned White Knight, I think it'll be in vein of this game maybe a spertual successor.

Not really, WKC was probably their highest-budgeted game last generation over Ni no Kuni. This is more about the scale of the project than anything.

Why would L5 announce that?.

L5 wouldn't but Horii collaborates with outside development houses to make DQ usually.

Square Enix could announce DQ as a collaboration with Level 5. Wouldn't be a new thing after DQVIII and DQIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom