• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

holygeesus

Banned
First off, it would be legitimately silly to be genuinely bothered by a thread bump on a gaming forum.

Second, I asked in two threads because I figured the topic was more specific in this particular thread and therefore many more people might have the answer I was looking for here rather than in the general thread.

Thanks for your answer though. I'm going to see how the input lag feels without the firmware, as I'm sure screen tearing would bother me more.

I was semi-kidding ;)

To be honest, the lag doesn't feel too bad in HDR mode as it is - playing slower games like Res Evil 7 and it doesn't impact on gameplay that much as it is. Game mode (non-HDR) seems perfectly fine to me, even without the patch. YMMV depending on how sensitive you are though I guess.

KevinG

I was semi-kidding ;)

To be honest, the lag doesn't feel too bad in HDR mode as it is - playing slower games like Res Evil 7 and it doesn't impact on gameplay that much as it is. Game mode (non-HDR) seems perfectly fine to me, even without the patch. YMMV depending on how sensitive you are though I guess.

I'm not a crazy competitive gamer, but do enjoy fast paced campaigns from a game like Titanfall 2. I just don't know if I would personally notice the lag difference considering that's not something I even considered to look for until I started shopping around for TVs.

KevinG

No. My house actually imploded last time I tried that.

Thanks for the snark though...

I was not trying to be snarky, completely honest.

Genuine question. I'm a fancy TV noob.

Edit: Thanks for posting the video of it. I'm sure it's quit a bit more noticeable in person.

lionpants

I was not trying to be snarky, completely honest.

Genuine question. I'm a fancy TV noob.

Edit: Thanks for posting the video of it. I'm sure it's quit a bit more noticeable in person.
Ah, ya it can be played without it. But adds some input lag.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

KevinG

I think the input lag on my old Phillips 1080p 40" from 2011 is 8ms. It's a low end set, but I never even thought about input lag.

Jumping to 50ms on the B6 will be a test of my standards, or will create new standards for me.

Weevilone

I think the input lag on my old Phillips 1080p 40" from 2011 is 8ms. It's a low end set, but I never even thought about input lag.

Jumping to 50ms on the B6 will be a test of my standards, or will create new standards for me.

What model is your Phillips? I'm not aware of anything that low.

daveo42

Banned
Anyone notice tearing in the bottom portion of the screen on their LG B6 since the HDR Game update? Only happens with HDR Game mode on.

So annoying once noticed.

https://youtu.be/CK6goQsNS-c

Basically that.

I've got it too. Rtings mentioned it in their updated review of the set:
rtings said:
Update 02/07/2017: Note that in the 'HDR Game' picture mode there is some screen tearing in the bottom 1/4inch of the display. This does not affect the other picture modes.

It's more bothersome when you do notice it, but you can easily ignore it most of the time. I also only appears during movement. Super odd and I hope they fix that soon. While I can manage ignoring it most of the time, every now and again I see it and then focus on just how bad it looks.

I will say from personal OLED E6 experience that the input lag was terrible before patch and hardly noticeable afterwards. Looking forward to the Variable HDR patch, hoping for 120hz capabilities directly from firmware updates, but probably stretching it.

SOLDIER

I get tired of occasionally losing picture on my PS4 Pro (handshake is the term, right?) on my E6. Occasionally I'll either lose the input connection or get a green/static screen, where I'm forced to either turn the TV off and on again, or replug the HDMI cable directly.

Is this the fault of the PS4 Pro or the TV? Have there been any news about this getting fixed in a firmware update, or some other solution someone found?

NYR

I get tired of occasionally losing picture on my PS4 Pro (handshake is the term, right?) on my E6. Occasionally I'll either lose the input connection or get a green/static screen, where I'm forced to either turn the TV off and on again, or replug the HDMI cable directly.

Is this the fault of the PS4 Pro or the TV? Have there been any news about this getting fixed in a firmware update, or some other solution someone found?
TV's fault. No news on a fix which pisses me off.

Ins

Neo Member
I've got some questions to B6 owners with HDR Game update.

1. Is there any difference in picture quality between game mode and standard mode ?
2. Is there an option to turn on dynamic contrast in game mode ?
3. Are there any options to calibrate white balance in game mode ?

It would be great if someone could take picture or write here what settings are available in game mode (sdr and hdr).

One last question. Should i buy now 65B6 or maybe wait for 55B7/C7 ? What do you think ?

It's the graphics card. It has a built in kind of circuit breaker thing that activates when switching video formats. It's to protect your TV from overloading, so, while extremely annoying, I'm not sure I want it fixed.

*trying to find the source it was from 6 months ago when I first had the problem and heavy forum diving -_-.

*apparently the HDMI handshake issue is the cause of an overload to trigger and the result is the overload circuit breaker thing to trigger in the card breaking connection to the T.V.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1703399/video-games-crashing-hooked.html

NYR

Yeah I looked that up. It's the graphics card. It has a built in kind of circuit breaker thing that activates when switching video formats. It's to protect your TV from overloading, so, while extremely annoying, I'm not sure I want it fixed.

Source please.

Edit: thank you for posting your links and findings!! :)

Wollan

If there's others like me that bought this TV for Horizon Zero Dawn and are still waiting for European firmware release...

Fear not! Game feels super responsive on normal HDR mode.
I played Uncharted 4 the other day and it kinda felt a bit syrupey so it got me a bit nervous but I can now confirm Horizon plays great. Seems like the 60ms delay doesn't affect a 30fps game that has no inherent frame-pacing issues.

Though I expect competitive MP players in 60fps HDR games might still eagerly await the update maybe.

TV's fault. No news on a fix which pisses me off.
Same.
I installed the latest FW's via USB. I think the two last one's with the HDR game mode haven't even been made available via the webOS menu or have they? LG knows why.

It's the graphics card. It has a built in kind of circuit breaker thing that activates when switching video formats. It's to protect your TV from overloading, so, while extremely annoying, I'm not sure I want it fixed.

*trying to find the source it was from 6 months ago when I first had the problem and heavy forum diving -_-.

*apparently the HDMI handshake issue is the cause of an overload to trigger and the result is the overload circuit breaker thing to trigger in the card breaking connection to the T.V.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1703399/video-games-crashing-hooked.html
Maybe.
Since those handshaking problem only appear when using 4K/HDR.
OTOH using an AVR between TV and PS4 Pro seems to fix it mostly AFAIK.

2016 LG OLED owners are waiting for several updates/fixes (apart from the already announced HLG FW update):
- Fixed HDR Game mode for B6 (without tearing) and also release outside of the US
- Fixed handshaking issues for C6/E6 when playing on the PS4 Pro (direct connection without AVR)
- Fix of Amazon Instant Video resetting HDR settings
- Youtube HDR for B6/C6/E6

I would also like the Dolby Vision game mode that 2017sets will get.

NYR

2016 LG OLED owners are waiting for several updates/fixes (apart from the already announced HLG FW update):
- Fixed HDR Game mode for B6 (without tearing) and also release outside of the US
- Fixed handshaking issues for C6/E6 when playing on the PS4 Pro (direct connection without AVR)
- Fix of Amazon Instant Video resetting HDR settings
- Youtube HDR for B6/C6/E6

I would also like the Dolby Vision game mode that 2017sets will get.
This is an excellent summary. Pretty crazy how within grasp our TVs are to being perfect. Really hope LG steps up.

Bog

Junior Ace
Same thing occasionally happens with the audio on my B6, too. I'm running an optical cable from the TV Zoit to my receiver and I'll get hiccups on occasion.

holygeesus

Banned
They have stated March as the release for the updated B6 firmware, which is finally here! I guess we will finally see if LG are true to their word.

SOLDIER

Still would like the best recommended setting for watching Anime.

I've been sticking to a custom Standard preset for Anime and TV watching, and Cinema mode for live movies on Netflix or Blu Ray.

Having to switch between Game and Standard on PS4 is kind of a pain, but it is my most used multimedia device.

While playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my B6 in HDR I kept wondering why the picture was so dark. So I thought the TV black level might be wrong and I changed it from Low to High. This however elevated the blacks (which made sense to me since the PS4 was set to RGB Limited).
I then set the PS4 to Full and the TV to High and suddenly black levels were perfect with no black crush. So while the combination Limited/Low should technically be correct there seems to be some strange incompatibility when playing in HDR.

To summarize, when playing on PS4 in HDR make sure your PS4 ist set to RGB Full and the LG is set to Black Level High. All other combinations produce wrong black levels.

holygeesus

Banned
While playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my B6 in HDR I kept wondering why the picture was so dark. So I thought the TV black level might be wrong and I changed it from Low to High. This however elevated the blacks (which made sense to me since the PS4 was set to RGB Limited).
I then set the PS4 to Full and the TV to High and suddenly black levels were perfect with no black crush. So while the combination Limited/Low should technically be correct there seems to be some strange incompatibility when playing in HDR.

To summarize, when playing on PS4 in HDR make sure your PS4 ist set to RGB Full and the LG is set to Black Level High. All other combinations produce wrong black levels.

Weird. My PS4 Pro is fine with Low/Limited. Is that in HDR Game or just regular HDR mode?

HDR Standard with all post processing off. I recommend at least trying it out to see if you spot a difference (it's easily noticeable on the ingame brightness slider).

I have high blacks on the TV and automatic on the PS4. With blacks on low I couldn't see anything on FF at night, both in HDR and SDR Game Mode.
Btw, anyone has a good HDR configuration for the B6 for those of us without the HDR Game Mode Update?

Mascot

How's image retention of HUDs during gaming on these LG OLEDs?
I'm flip-flopping between one of these and a Sammy KS9000 at the moment.

b0bbyJ03

How's image retention of HUDs during gaming on these LG OLEDs?
I'm flip-flopping between one of these and a Sammy KS9000 at the moment.

I personally have not had any issues with it. I've owned my B6 since October and on weekends I've played up to 4 hour sessions.

I'm pretty sure the color range setting does nothing when in HDR mode. Switching from limited to full when in an HDR game does nothing to the image in my case. When it comes to SDR gaming, though make sure the PS4 is set to Limited and the TV to Low or PS4 to Full and TV to High, otherwise you'll get black crush.

I do find that Horizon is a bit aggressive in its use of HDR, so the dark areas are VERY dark compared to other HDR games I've played. It reminds me of Infamous: Second Son in this case.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm pretty sure the color range setting does nothing when in HDR mode. Switching from limited to full when in an HDR game does nothing to the image in my case. When it comes to SDR gaming, though make sure the PS4 is set to Limited and the TV to Low or PS4 to Full and TV to High, otherwise you'll get black crush.

I do find that Horizon is a bit aggressive in its use of HDR, so the dark areas are VERY dark compared to other HDR games I've played. It reminds me of Infamous: Second Son in this case.

Yeah, 'High' black level on the B6 is just the wrong setting for HDR. It completely washes the image out so blacks look grey. Setting the PS4 to Limited and keeping Black Level on Low is the way to go.

I didn't expect the PS4's RGB setting to have any effect for HDR content but I tested it and it very clearly does.
And just as you I found dark areas in Horizon way too dark but setting the PS4 to RGB full and the B6 to Black Level high made this much better.

Yeah, 'High' black level on the B6 is just the wrong setting for HDR. It completely washes the image out so blacks look grey. Setting the PS4 to Limited and keeping Black Level on Low is the way to go.

Yes, 'High' on the B6 will produce washed out blacks in HDR if your PS4 is set to RGB limited. With the PS4 RGB set to full however, the picture will be just right.

I didn't expect the PS4's RGB setting to have any effect for HDR content but I tested it and it very clearly does.
And just as you I found dark areas in Horizon way too dark.

Are you switching from full to limited while in HDR mode? When I do this, black levels don't change at all.

Are you switching from full to limited while in HDR mode? When I do this, black levels don't change at all.

Yes, switching RGB while in HDR clearly affects my black levels.

I made some pictures of Horizons brightness control to try and illustrate what I see on my end. Please ignore the white triangles since my cam blows them out. The black triangles are more or less representative.

The first is PS4 RGB Full / B6 Black Level High:

20170303_192034w6jz9.jpg

The second one with PS4 RGB Limited / B6 Black Level Low:

20170303_1922567qkp2.jpg

Ingame brightness is unchanged at 50% for both pictures.

Yes, switching RGB while in HDR clearly affects my black levels.

I made some pictures of Horizons brightness control to try and illustrate what I see on my end. Please ignore the white triangles since my cam blows them out. The black triangles are more or less representative.

The first is PS4 RGB Full / B6 Black Level High:

20170303_192034w6jz9.jpg

The second one with PS4 RGB Limited / B6 Black Level Low:

20170303_1922567qkp2.jpg

Ingame brightness is unchanged at 50% for both pictures.

Weird. This doesn't happen for me at all. Maybe it's because you are selecting 2160p - RGB under resolution instead of Auto?

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah Pro here too so maybe that is the issue? On my Pro adjusting RGB Range doesn't have any effect when viewing HDR material either.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am actually playing on standard PS4. Maybe the standard PS4 handles HDR differently?

I actually had a PS4 Slim in a pro at the same time just to compare how hdr-look to see if there was a difference in for some odd reason the matter what I did the slim did not handle the HDR as clean as the PS4 Pro does.

Maybe it's a setting or something to do with my receiver but the chroma was always off on the PS4 slim if I set everything to auto.

On the PS4 Pro that was not the case.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah Pro here too so maybe that is the issue? On my Pro adjusting RGB Range doesn't have any effect when viewing HDR material either.

Nothing changes for me either on the PS4 Pro When selecting color range.

I too thought maybe the blacks were being crushed because there was an instance when I was looking for a collectible at night climbing a tower and it got to the point to where I literally could not see where I was supposed to go. I thought maybe it's the HDR just being really aggressive but I'm not quite too sure.

Adjusting the black level on the TV obviously makes a difference but the high setting doesn't necessarily look bad but it definitely looks more gray than I feel like it's supposed to.

Top Bottom